Author Topic: THE EQUALIZER  (Read 4097 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
THE EQUALIZER
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:29:11 am »
Been way behind on my films, but finally caught up with this one last night.  A fine time at the movies.  Anyone else see it?

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: THE EQUALIZER
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:34:37 pm »
Saw it ....Denzel nailed it and the cinematography was awesome too...very professional.  Expected more elements from the tv show but it went in a slightly different direction for most of the film...smart move.  Good tone, pacing and characterization. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:42:12 pm by stanleyballard »

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:00:56 pm »
Saw it and loved it!  Denzel was awesome! 

S P O I L E R S!

I loved how he was never really stressed like the usual hero gets captured and escapes by dumb luck. I know he was tested by the big dude in the Faux Home Depot but he still would have pulled it together even if his friend hadn't come back for him.  I mean this dude walked into Moscow took out the boss and walked out!  What was the Secretary's line..."He didn't come for help, he came for permission."

Bring on the sequel!

Peace,

Mont

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 02:59:40 pm »
I was laughing and giggling throughout the movie, enjoying every bit of it. Of course it is absurd, the super special ops type hero getting revenge after revenge against the Russian Mob.  There is great humor in some of the tools he employed as weapons.  Not to mention his lightning quick moves, while he sees five steps ahead in slow motion.

Throughout 99% of it I thought it was great.  Until the very very end.

Why did the end bother me?  Because even given the role-with-it premise (which is great fun), the end makes absolutely NO
SENSE. 

WARNING: KIND OF A SPOILER THOUGH NOT MUCH OF ONE:  By the end of the movie, Denzel's cover is totally blown, with multiple witnesses seeing him in action, witnesses who knew him and would have easily identified him (as their hero), with bodies and destruction littered all over the place in his aftermath, and yet ... no police, no investigation, no nothing.  Even a major act that if committed by someone else could be viewed as an act of "terrorism" is ... poof, nothing.  So Denzel, after all this action, that would be easily and inevitably tagged to him, just goes on with his ordinary everyday I'm-happy-to-work-at-Home-Depot life, living in his same old neighborhood and drinking tea at the same old diner.  It would have been so easy for him, at the end of the film, to be in a different city with a new cover identity.  THAT, in the context of the wild premise, would have at least made sense.

So yeh ... the movie is great fun ... but the very very ending could have been better.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:44:48 pm by michaelintp »
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

APEXABYSS

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 04:17:55 pm »

Yes, I enjoyed the film. Itís also why I still give comic books my time & $. Check-out the Comic Wolverine #1 written by Greg Rucka & art By Darick Robertson. The story (part of it) is about Logan reading in his local diner. The girl in the story (waitress) is in serious trouble with some bad-guys. Logan goes on a revenge mission, after she is murdered. Spoiler? No, helping a girl in trouble is a timeless tale. Denzel is an action star...

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 05:35:40 pm »
You're right all around.  :)
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 07:43:04 pm »
Oh, one thing that I got a real kick out of was the tightly-controlled OCD character that Denzel played.  Not in the nervous obsessive sense; rather uber-orderly and controlled.  Lining up utensils on the table, placing his book on exactly the same spot, wrapping tea bag in the napkin, and so on.  "Maintaining" as best he could through rigid routine.  I liked that; fit with his character - a man having trouble sleeping, haunted by things he had done in the past.  Also showed up in his "action" moves - the same tight control - timing his moves by starting his stopwatch. 
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 12:26:50 pm »
Good point michael.  I also think they were going for this kinda benevolent monster in our midst theme.  Here's this seemingly harmless, unassuming older gentleman as part of a working class community.  The last scene I think was meant to reinforce that.  We don't really know who might be living with us, working right next to us in today's world.  This kindly gentleman who befriends a kid he works with and tries to help him is actually a killer!  Not a secret agent like Bond used to be, not a hitman like "the Professional" but a bad ass WMD assassin who could walk into Moscow take out a heavily protected crime czar and slip back into the neighborhood with his bag of groceries on his way home from his shift at Home Depot.  My two cents.

Peace,

Mont

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 09:57:43 am »
Interesting take.
He's such a nice guy, though.  Always gives 'em a chance first. Haha.
 ;D
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 08:39:06 am »
Been way behind on my films, but finally caught up with this one last night.  A fine time at the movies.  Anyone else see it?

Loved it.

Rare to see a thriller take its time like that. The first action sequence isn't until about 30 minutes in.

The movie works realky hard to establish McCall's decency v. the horrific stuff he is capable of.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 09:37:45 pm »
Awesome movie. Can't wait for the sequel, which will be, unless I'm missing something, Denzel's first sequel ever.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin