Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER MOVIES - BP2 Wakanda Forever  (Read 940319 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: The Black Panther Movie ... The Redemption of T'Challa!
« Reply #2865 on: April 07, 2018, 12:45:25 pm »
Marvel's 'Avengers' TV Spot Sells 'Infinity War' As 'Black Panther 2'
Scott Mendelson

By coincidence or design, Walt Disney celebrated Black Panther toppling Titanic on the domestic box office charts by releasing this 60-second TV spot for Avengers: Infinity War. More than any other marketing offered thus far, this spot essentially sells the MCU team-up as Black Panther 1.5. The majority of the spot takes place in Wakanda and the cast of Black Panther gets most of the dialogue, including a few solid laughs. It's no secret that the gonzo success of Black Panther offered something of a bonus to the already appealing notion of Avengers: Infinity War and its "everyone into the pool" gimmick.

So it shouldn't be a surprise to see more spots like this, which essentially sells the movie as "Black Panther and the Avengers: Infinity War". This is not that different from Justice League following up Wonder Woman, except that the MCU has a lot more goodwill and the assumption of quality, and Infinity War A) contains a lot more Black Panther-specific material and B) didn't go through an infamously complicated production. Nonetheless, and I'm sorry for making this so short (I have to take my kids to swimming lessons), this works both as a TV spot that makes Avengers: Infinity War look like a lot of fun and assures audiences that there will be a lot of Wakanda in this 2.5-hour smackdown.

By coincidence or design, Walt Disney celebrated Black Panther toppling Titanic on the domestic box office charts by releasing this 60-second TV spot for Avengers: Infinity War. More than any other marketing offered thus far, this spot essentially sells the MCU team-up as Black Panther 1.5. The majority of the spot takes place in Wakanda and the cast of Black Panther gets most of the dialogue, including a few solid laughs. It's no secret that the gonzo success of Black Panther offered something of a bonus to the already appealing notion of Avengers: Infinity War and its "everyone into the pool" gimmick.

So it shouldn't be a surprise to see more spots like this, which essentially sells the movie as "Black Panther and the Avengers: Infinity War". This is not that different from Justice League following up Wonder Woman, except that the MCU has a lot more goodwill and the assumption of quality, and Infinity War A) contains a lot more Black Panther-specific material and B) didn't go through an infamously complicated production. Nonetheless, and I'm sorry for making this so short (I have to take my kids to swimming lessons), this works both as a TV spot that makes Avengers: Infinity War look like a lot of fun and assures audiences that there will be a lot of Wakanda in this 2.5-hour smackdown.

I'm curious to see how the success of Black Panther affects Infinity War, as it certainly won't hurt in any plausible fashion. And, as we begin the last three weeks of marketing, I'm curious what choices Marvel and Disney will make in terms of selling this flick. Will they lean into nostalgia to avoid releasing much new footage? Will they emphasize the Black Panther connection? Will they sell the scale of it all?  Probably all of the above, but one thing of note is that they are selling this as the big finish, which leaves plenty of questions as to just what next year's Avengers movie is going to be.

But that's a conversation that can wait until April 28, 2018.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/04/07/new-avengers-tv-spot-sells-infinity-war-as-black-panther-sequel/#4640c0ea6fd6
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:48:06 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: April 07, 2018, 01:03:06 pm »
Are they chanting Yibambi? Doesn't it mean hold fast or something? Either way it's a very cool trailer and no Doubt marvel is taking advantage of the Black Panther hype to help drive more fans of the movie to infinity

Offline BlindWedjat

• View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: April 07, 2018, 02:53:41 pm »
Are they chanting Yibambi? Doesn't it mean hold fast or something? Either way it's a very cool trailer and no Doubt marvel is taking advantage of the Black Panther hype to help drive more fans of the movie to infinity

Folks have told me it's YIBAMBE which is Zulu for "hold fast". Seems to mean "hold the line" or another rallying battle cry for the Wakandans in this situation.

The whole thing took me by surprise really. My mates and I got so hyped watching the spot when it got to that bit. The Wakanda armed forces looks MASSIVE and it seems like there's more Jabari too. I hope they get their grunts in. Chadwick's delivery continues to give me chills, especially with that "We fight for all of them" bit. Dude really is T'Challa.

Whole looks crazy. We're in for a treat.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #2868 on: April 07, 2018, 06:48:24 pm »

Folks have told me it's YIBAMBE which is Zulu for "hold fast". Seems to mean "hold the line" or another rallying battle cry for the Wakandans in this situation.

The whole thing took me by surprise really. My mates and I got so hyped watching the spot when it got to that bit. The Wakanda armed forces looks MASSIVE and it seems like there's more Jabari too. I hope they get their grunts in. Chadwick's delivery continues to give me chills, especially with that "We fight for all of them" bit. Dude really is T'Challa.

Whole looks crazy. We're in for a treat.

'Avengers: Infinity War': What Are the Wakandan Soldier's Chanting in New Footage?
By NICOLE DRUM - April 7, 2018

Marvel Studios released a new television spot for the highly-anticipated Avengers: Infinity War today. The spot contained a ton of new footage with a particularly focus on Wakanda, complete with T'Challa and the Wakandan forces chanting before charging into action.

In the new footage -- which you can check out in the video above -- we see the Wakandan forces as lead by T'Challa/Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) just before they run headlong into the fight against Thanos' forces as they invade Wakanda. As they stand there, they are heard chanting. It sounds like they are chanting the word "yibambe", a word with real-world meaning.

While the Marvel Cinematic Universe's Wakanda is a fictional African nation, the language spoken in it is not. Spoken Wakandan is, in reality, isiXhosa, a Buntu language that is one of the 11 official languages of South Africa and one of the 16 languages of Zimbabwe. Depending upon which translator you use, "yibambe" is either a stand-alone word or part of a couple of phrases -- which include "yibambe icimile" and "yibambe amandala" -- and means "hold off" or "hold fast".

With the Wakandan forces standing ready for battle in the new footage, it makes sense that T'Challa would be having them chant "hold fast". In English, "hold fast" is attributed to be an old nautical term that means to hold tightly to a ship's rigging. The phrase has come to refer to the idea of hanging on even in the face of adversity, to be determined and steadfast. With Thanos and his forces threatening not just the world but the universe, too, being determined is extremely important.

The word can also be heard in Black Panther, uttered by Nakia (Lupita Nyong'o) in the scene where T'Challa fights M'Baku (Winston Duke).

The idea that Wakandans speak a real African language brings a deeper layer of authenticity to the fictional nation and the choice to use Xhosa was inspired, in part, by a trip Black Panther director Ryan Coogler took to South Africa prior to shooting the film and by actor John Kani who played T'Chaka in both Captain America: Civil War and Black Panther. Dialect coach Beth McGuire told Slate that because Kani is a native Xhosa speaker, using the language just made sense.

"Ryan and I went back and forth and talked about it, and I said it just makes sense," McGuire said. "If that's who you started with, that's your king of Wakanda, that's who it is, that's the language."

Avengers: Infinity War releases on April 27th. Black Panther is now in theaters. Other upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe movies include Ant-Man and the Wasp on July 6th, Captain Marvel on March 8, 2019, the fourth Avengers movie on May 3, 2019, the sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming on July 5, 2019, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 in 2020.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/04/07/avengers-infinity-war-wakandan-chant-tchalla/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #2869 on: April 07, 2018, 07:16:10 pm »
BLACK PANTHER  .5

BLACK PANTHER  1

BLACK PANTHER  1.5

THROUGH THE WARS... BLACK PANTHER FOREVER

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #2870 on: April 07, 2018, 08:12:42 pm »
CIVIL INFINITY - BLACK PANTHER CINEMA BETWEEN THE WARS AND BEYOND

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:01:33 pm by Ture »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: April 08, 2018, 05:46:03 pm »
Who said Tchalla can't be funny?

https://youtu.be/hzMzFGgmQOc
Currently #1 trending on YouTube

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #2872 on: April 09, 2018, 07:39:31 pm »
Marvel’s Black Panther Sets May Blu-ray Release Date
By Thomas Bacon

Marvel finally announced the digital and home release dates for Black Panther. To call Black Panther a phenomenon is an understatement. The film’s performance is finally slowing down, but not before it passed Titanic as the third highest-grossing movie in the domestic box office.

The movie’s international performance is just as remarkable, with the film currently grossing over $1.3 billion worldwide. On April 18, Black Panther will make history when it breaks Saudi Arabia’s 35-year cinema ban. Marvel Studios can be justifiably proud of Black Panther‘s performance.

But Marvel is looking forward now, to the imminent theatrical release of Avengers: Infinity War. That means Black Panther is gradually leaving the cinemas, with digital and home release to follow. Marvel announced those release dates on social media in a simple tweet. Digital copies will be available from May 8, with Blu-ray and DVD releases on May 15.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: April 10, 2018, 04:19:04 am »
That's quick!

Offline BlindWedjat

• View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: April 10, 2018, 06:37:07 am »
1.3 billi today. Wakanda Forever, my brothers and sisters.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #2875 on: April 10, 2018, 08:44:42 pm »
‘Black Panther’ Blu-ray Release Date, Bonus Features, and Cover Art Revealed
BY ADAM CHITWOOD

Black Panther is still breaking records at the box office, currently standing as the #3 movie of all-time domestically, but the Marvel Studios hit is heading to home video in a matter of weeks. It was announced today that Black Panther will be available digitally on May 8th through Digital HD, 4k Ultra HD, and Movies Anywhere, and it’ll hit 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, and DVD on May 15th. That’s a pretty tight window between theatrical release and home video, but it hits a sweet spot—Avengers: Infinity War opens in theaters on April 27th, so fans will be able to revisit Black Panther after that Infinity War high at their own leisure.

Luckily, the Black Panther Blu-ray is loaded with bonus features. In addition to a director’s commentary from co-writer/director Ryan Coogler, there are four deleted scenes and featurettes that dive into creating the world of Black Panther, the film’s female characters and actresses, the technology of Wakanda, and Wakanda itself. There’s also a roundtable discussion that delves into the making of the film called “From Page to Screen” which I am dying to check out. And there’s a gag reel, an exclusive sneak peek at Ant-Man and the Wasp, and a featurette called “Marvel Studios the First Ten Years: Connecting the Universe.”

Black Panther is the richest Marvel movie released thus far, packed with layers upon layers, so I’m extremely excited to hear from those that made the film about how it was put together and their perspectives on the film’s strong and impactful themes.

Check out the full list of bonus features for the Black Panther Blu-ray below, followed by the full cover art.

BONUS MATERIAL (may vary by retailer):

Blu-ray:

Director’s Intro
From Page to Screen: A Roundtable Discussion -Delve into the film’s making
Crowning of a New King – Explore the world of “Black Panther” in all its color and complexity
The Warriors Within – Get to know Wakanda’s women and the actors who portray them
The Hidden Kingdom Revealed – Wakanda’s diverse people
Wakanda Revealed: Exploring the Technology

Deleted Scenes:

N. Meet and Greet
Okoye And W’Kabi Discuss the Future of Wakanda
T’Challa Remembers His Father
Voices from the Past
Gag Reel
Exclusive Sneak Peek at “Ant-Man and The Wasp”
Marvel Studios the First Ten Years: Connecting the Universe
Director’s Commentary

Digital Exclusives:

In World Wakanda Tourism Ads
Come to Wakanda “Before”
Come to Wakanda “After”

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #2876 on: April 11, 2018, 11:10:28 am »
“Black Panther” is now the highest grossing film ever in East, West and southern Africa
Lynsey Chutel

Black Panther director and scriptwriter Ryan Coogler was determined to make the film’s fictional setting of Wakanda a positive image of Africa. African audiences have rewarded this vision by making it the highest grossing film in southern, East and West Africa ever.

The hype surrounding the film was palpable in Africa and that has translated into real profits for Marvel Studios’ first black superhero. Five weeks after its release, it became the highest grossing film of all time in three regions, according to a statement from Disney on Tuesday (March 20).

Black Panther has grossed 77,6 million rand (just under $6.5 million) in South Africa and its neighboring countries, and another 102.4 million Kenyan shillings (just over $1 million) in cinemas in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Rwanda. In Nigeria, Ghana, and Liberia the film has hauled in 642,5 million naira ($1.77 million).

The numbers seem small when comparing Black Panther’s global ticket sales of more than a $1 billion and counting. Even in China, where at least one reviewer wondered whether “the Chinese are still not used to a film full of black people,” Black Panther opened at the top of the box office with a respectable $66 million in its first weekend. But the figures coming out of Africa are remarkable given how nascent the film industry is on the continent in comparison to other markets.

There is no one box-office formula that works across Africa, especially given the differing levels of infrastructure in its 54 countries. While South Africa may have two successful cinema chains, which also operate in neighboring countries, local and African films still struggle to attract a full house.

Nigeria, Africa’s largest economy, has less than 30 cinemas for a population of 180 million. Yet, it has the continent’s largest and most dynamic movie industry, which pumps out homegrown box office hits. Most cinemas in Africa aren’t theaters with comfy seats and wide screens, but there are audiences here who lap up releases which often go straight to DVD.

In this context, it’s significant that audiences, particularly those in countries with poorer infrastructure like Uganda and Liberia, went to the cinema to watch an American film. It speaks to the rewards that diversity offers in any industry and the importance of authentic representation. As the continent’s entertainment industry continues to grow, so does its potential audience. But they’re an audience who want to see a portrayal of Africa that doesn’t rely on tired tropes.

Sign up for the Quartz Africa Weekly Brief — the most important and interesting news from across the continent, in your inbox.

https://qz.com/1234258/black-panther-breaks-box-office-records-in-east-west-and-south-africa/

Offline Gessela

• View Profile
    • Gessela Studios
« Reply #2877 on: April 12, 2018, 08:05:22 am »
Good stuff brother Ture.
ግሥላ = Panther

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #2878 on: April 20, 2018, 10:31:00 pm »
Good stuff brother Ture.

Thank you Gessela.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: CIVIL INFINITY - BLACK PANTHER CINEMA BETWEEN THE WARS AND BEYOND
« Reply #2879 on: April 20, 2018, 11:25:24 pm »
CIVIL INFINITY - BLACK PANTHER CINEMA BETWEEN THE WARS AND BEYOND

Some cool Black Panther footage at 15:00 repeats at 02:05. Pause at 02:52

The Russian trailer is really Black Panther centered.