Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - Recast or The Two Killings of T'Challa the Black Panther  (Read 571111 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: CIVIL INFINITY - BLACK PANTHER CINEMA - AVENGERS ENDGAME
« Reply #3060 on: April 26, 2019, 06:43:04 am »
Battle, believe the hype.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3061 on: April 26, 2019, 07:00:41 am »
Because it is Black Panther related I posted this but for the record T'Challa and his Wakandan retinue represented. There is no doubt that Endgame is centered on the Avengers Six, you knew that going in. Read if you will, not much of a spoiler if at all.

]

Why Avengers: Endgame Gave Black Panther and Wakandans Short Shrift
There are a few potential explanations.
BY LAURA BRADLEY
APRIL 26, 2019

This post contains spoilers for Avengers: Endgame.

Although Avengers: Endgame managed to assemble a stellar array of cameos from minor characters throughout Marvel Cinematic Universe history, you might have noticed that Chadwick Boseman’s Black Panther, a.k.a. T’Challa, as well as Danai Gurira’s Okoye, barely appeared in the movie itself—while other Black Panther stars, like Lupita Nyong’o’s Nakia, did not appear at all. It’s a bummer, to be sure, for the bazillion people currently thirsting for another visit to Wakanda—but there are a few possible explanations for why the cast of Marvel’s most valuable sub-franchise had a relatively small Endgame footprint.

Let’s get the most obvious reason out of the way: the members of Black Panther’s cast, including Nyong’o and Daniel Kaluuya—also apparently absent from Endgame—likely have packed schedules that made appearances logistically difficult to organize. Endgame directors Joe and Anthony Russo may have also used a light touch here because their previous Avengers film, Infinity War, included a lengthy battle sequence set in Wakanda, and they wanted to leave room here to spotlight characters that did not feature heavily in that film. A Black Panther sequel has also been confirmed since last March—which means that these characters are some of the few Marvel stars we are guaranteed to see again before long. By that logic, perhaps it was wise for the admittedly cluttered Endgame to focus the bulk of its time on those we probably won’t see again—like (this version of) Captain America and (this version of) Iron Man.

There might also be an even simpler rationale: Endgame wrapped filming a month before Black Panther even premiered. Although Disney could have guessed just how big that film would be from the anticipation it had built pre-release, it’s also possible that the company didn’t know just how big a hit it would have on its hands. Black Panther ended up being the most successful Marvel film at the box office thus far—but by the time that happened, Endgame was already in post-production, making it exceedingly difficult to squeeze in more screen time for Black Panther stars. You know what they say about the best laid plans . . .

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/04/avengers-endgame-black-panther-okoye-no-nakia?verso=true

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: April 27, 2019, 04:04:56 am »
I enjoyed the movie.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #3063 on: April 27, 2019, 09:25:56 am »
I enjoyed the movie.

I was just about to ask the HEF's opinion of the movie. I suspected from the outset...and the post above pretty much confirms...that this will be yet another blockbuster for Marvel. I hope Hawkeye, War Machine, and the other largely underused characters get to shine here. I'm not thrilled that our Wakandans didn't get to wreck shop. Imo they got shorter shrift than they should have, in the last two movies. I mean...CAPTAIN AMERICA LEADING THE CHARGE IN WAKANDA? Hell naw.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3064 on: April 27, 2019, 10:36:42 am »
I enjoyed the movie.

I was just about to ask the HEF's opinion of the movie. I suspected from the outset...and the post above pretty much confirms...that this will be yet another blockbuster for Marvel. I hope Hawkeye, War Machine, and the other largely underused characters get to shine here. I'm not thrilled that our Wakandans didn't get to wreck shop. Imo they got shorter shrift than they should have, in the last two movies. I mean...CAPTAIN AMERICA LEADING THE CHARGE IN WAKANDA? Hell naw.

It will be the defining blockbuster for Marvel. Literally everyone gets some shine and Ronin (Hawkeye) is showcased. Black Panther appeared and the crowd went wild at the theater I went to on Thursday. Wakanda looks impressive both in scale and military. This is without a doubt an Avengers centered movie but they shared some love for their MCU fam. Will see again and drop spoilers after the weekend.

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: April 27, 2019, 04:25:14 pm »
I enjoyed the movie.

Cap didn’t lead the charge in that battle, that was T’Challa who also was with Cap when both of them outran all the other heroes by miles to get at the children of Thanos.

I loved Endgame and it’s in my top 10 Marvel movies, was I expecting T’Challa to take over the narrative nope as it’s not his movie and going in you have to know this movie is mainly a send off for the ones who got this ball rolling. Going forward it’s pretty much a lock that T’Challa and Carol are now the foundations of the MCU based on fan reactions and $$$$.

Shout out to Okoye as well

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3066 on: May 11, 2019, 09:18:39 am »
Black Panther

Domestic Total Gross: $700,059,566
Release Date: February 16, 2018
Runtime: 2 hrs. 20 min.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:    $700,059,566      
Foreign:    $646,853,595      
Worldwide: $1,346,913,161

Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend: $202,003,951
Widest Release:       4,084 theaters
Close Date:       August 9, 2018
In Release:       175 days / 25 weeks

Nominated for Seven Oscars, Including Three Wins.

Genre                                  
3D 3
Comic Book Adaptation 1
IMAX (Feature-length) 3
Superhero 1
Superhero - Origin 1

Franchise                                                
Series: Marvel Cinematic Universe 1
Brand: Marvel Comics 1
Showdown: MCU Top Openers 1
Showdown: Opening Weekend Showdown 2

It looks as if Black Panther will loose those impressive number one stats this weekend. No worries, BP2 will just have to take them back. The Black Panther sequel appears to be the biggest cinematic event Marvel has going forward.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3067 on: May 24, 2019, 12:05:55 am »
Less we forget...

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER CINEMA
« Reply #3068 on: May 28, 2019, 02:48:20 pm »

The "Snap" caused a mild time warp and BP was released in 1975.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:45:12 pm by Ture »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: May 28, 2019, 03:42:46 pm »

Nice.

Really, really nice.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3070 on: May 28, 2019, 11:56:04 pm »
I know, right. You can almost hear the soundtrack featuring Issac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Roy Ayers and Edwin Starr.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3071 on: May 30, 2019, 08:14:36 pm »

I so hear Shuri's voice.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3072 on: June 01, 2019, 07:23:16 pm »
Not My Job: We Quiz 'Black Panther' Designer Ruth E. Carter

BILL KURTIS: From NPR and WBEZ Chicago, this is WAIT WAIT... DON'T TELL ME, the NPR news quiz. Hey, everybody. Gather in front of me and prepare to salute because it's the triumph of the Bill.

(LAUGHTER)

KURTIS: I'm Bill Kurtis. And here is your host at the Chase Bank Auditorium in Chicago, Peter Sagal.

PETER SAGAL, HOST:

Thanks, Bill. Thanks, everybody. Thank you. Thank you all so much.

(APPLAUSE)

SAGAL: Hey, if there's one thing we can all agree on these days, it seems to be superheroes. They're everywhere - in the movie theaters, on TV - but surprisingly rare in real life.

KURTIS: That's because supersuits are extremely restricting where it matters. Trust me.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: So it's an all-superhero show today, although not all heroes wear capes. For example, Black Panther didn't, and that was because Oscar-winning costume designer Ruth E. Carter decided he shouldn't.

KURTIS: We spoke to Ms. Carter right after she won her Oscar in February, and she was still pretty excited about it.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED BROADCAST)

SAGAL: First of all, congratulations on the Oscar win. Have you gotten over it, or are you still sort of abuzz? Do you walk around holding it all day?

RUTH E CARTER: Yeah, I do. I pick it up. I put it down. I pick it back up. I look at it...

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: Really?

CARTER: ...You know? Yeah. It's a good weightlifting tool, too, you know?

SAGAL: Yeah.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: Now, you were nominated a bunch of times before, so were you surprised when you finally won, or you were like, it's my turn?

CARTER: It's been 21 years since the last nomination.

CARTER: Yeah. I was like, man, if this is going to take 21 years each time, I better grab this now.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: Now, you're the first costume designer we've ever talked to, so I just wanted to go over some basic stuff. So you're the costume designer for a film. Do you ever have to deal with, like, actor egos? Like, you pick out the perfect costume for a particular character and, like, I'm not going to wear that.

CARTER: You know, I guess you deal with actors' egos on a different level. You know, sometimes they say, you know, I can't wear that color, you know? Or - but because we're discovering a character, we are both kind of contributing to the conversation.

SAGAL: Right.

ADAM FELBER: So you have to occasionally just say, yes, so maybe your character has a bigger butt.

CARTER: Exactly.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: Yes. So let's get to the fun stuff, which is a movie like "Black Panther" - comic book movie, fictional, fantastical science-fiction country. You are, like, the most qualified person to ask about something that I've always thought, which is that a great problem for making comic book movies is that, unlike in comic books, people wearing superhero suits in real life essentially look dumb.

CARTER: Yeah. Because they don't realize there's a whole process to making that thing. You just don't go to the store and get some spandex and sew it up.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: No. So how do you make it so, like, the Black Panther, when he's in his superhero suit running around...

CARTER: Well...

SAGAL: ...Doesn't look dumb?

CARTER: Yeah. Well, we do a muscle sculpt. That helps.

SAGAL: What do you mean?

CARTER: And - well, we take a Vac-u-form kind of mannequin version of Chadwick Boseman's real body form, and we add the clay to his muscles, and we form a superhero kind of physique.

SAGAL: Are you telling me that that's...

(LAUGHTER)

CARTER: I'm telling you the secret, yes.

SAGAL: That's not all Chadwick Boseman under there?

CARTER: No. And so it doesn't matter how much muscle milk you drink, you're never going to be a superhero. You got to have some clay muscles to go along...

SAGAL: So you're telling me that that, like, amazing...

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: ...Superhero suit that Chadwick Boseman is wearing...

CARTER: Yeah.

SAGAL: ...In the movie...

SAGAL: ...Is just like those padded things that the kids have...

SAGAL: ...At Halloween with, like...

SAGAL: ...The muscles...

CARTER: Yeah. Yeah.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: ...Are, like, built in?

CARTER: Yeah. Listen; don't do this at home, kids. It's not exaggerated as you might think. It's just a little - you know, because we don't want to, you know, to really make this an outstanding...

PETER GROSZ: It's like Spanx, but in the other direction.

CARTER: Right.

(LAUGHTER)

CARTER: Exactly.

GROSZ: Kind of, like, pushes things out instead of sucking them in.

CARTER: It's just a little help. It's just more shoulders.

GROSZ: Yeah.

CARTER: You know, it's not much.

GROSZ: Yeah (laughter).

FELBER: Well, when you make my suit, I want more than a little help.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: There's a famous line in one of the early "Spider-Man" movies where he refers to his costume, and he says, there's a little binding in the crotch. Is that true of your superhero costumes?

(LAUGHTER)

CARTER: No. There's a zipper, you know, so...

SAGAL: Oh, OK.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: So you are now an Oscar-winning costume designer.

SAGAL: You've been a leading costume designer in many, many films for many, many years. Does that put some pressure on you to dress when you go out in public?

CARTER: Oh, no. I've always been the anti-fashion. I think that's what makes me kind of unique - that I'm not trying to please or prove myself to anyone. It's not in how I look. It's how I dress other people. Come on.

GROSZ: Yeah.

SAGAL: All right. Well, how about Halloween?

(APPLAUSE)

SAGAL: I would expect if I - if you came to my Halloween party, which I hope you do someday, I would expect that you would walk in with, like, the costume. Is this...

CARTER: Yeah. That's why I don't go to Halloween parties.

(LAUGHTER)

GROSZ: Now you're done getting accolades, I feel like you don't have to, like, force your way to get accolades at Halloween parties. That's, like - that's for amateurs. That's amateur hour.

CARTER: Yes.

GROSZ: Once you win an Oscar...

SAGAL: You're an Oscar - if you walked into a party...

CARTER: Everybody wants me to do their costume at Halloween.

GROSZ: Yes, exactly.

SAGAL: Yeah. Do you get that? Do you get, like, people - because it's Hollywood. People have money, and they call you up and say, I want to be an amazing Halloween costume.

SAGAL: Can I hire you to do it?

CARTER: Because they think costume is a joke, you know, and I'm going to do a Halloween costume after I designed the Black Panther.

(LAUGHTER)

CARTER: But I'm here to tell you I'm not going to do it.

(LAUGHTER)

CARTER: No

Full interview
https://www.wvpublic.org/post/not-my-job-we-quiz-black-panther-designer-ruth-e-carter-garfield-0#stream/0

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3073 on: June 02, 2019, 10:22:11 pm »

How shall we begin...

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3074 on: June 12, 2019, 06:43:46 pm »

ARTISTIC EXPRESSIONS