Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - Recast or The Two Killings of T'Challa the Black Panther  (Read 557645 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA 10 Things "They" Hope To See By The End Of His MCU Arc
« Reply #3150 on: December 26, 2019, 03:53:49 pm »
From:  Black Panther: 10 Things We Hope To See By The End Of His MCU Arc

BY BEN SHERLOCK DEC 23, 2019......
So far, T’Challa’s only romantic interest is Nakia, and their relationship didn’t work out and they’re trying to make it as friends. His love life is wide open.

That's not how I read the end of the movie.  I thought they were solidity together.

*Edited to add source.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 07:49:16 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: December 28, 2019, 07:19:41 am »
So far, T’Challa’s only romantic interest is Nakia, and their relationship didn’t work out and they’re trying to make it as friends. His love life is wide open.

That's not how I read the end of the movie.  I thought they were solidity together.

They are solidly together, whoever wrote the bolded part obviously didn't watch the last part of the movie, where they kiss, T'Challa asks her ti stay, and then says he has a way that she can stay and still do what she loves.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: December 29, 2019, 08:04:02 pm »
5 Villains We Want To See In Black Panther 2 (& 5 We Don't)

by James Troughton – on Dec 29, 2019 in Lists

Two of Black Panther's most iconic villains were killed in one fell swoop in 2018 with another being made into an anti-hero and an ally. As such, there's a lot of debate on where the next film should go in terms of villainous foes for the Panther to face.

He has some obscure rogues as his gallery isn't quite as extensive as Spider-Man or Batman's. Nonetheless, there are some stellar choices that Marvel Studios could make when delving into the sequel. With that in mind, here are five villains that we want in Black Panther 2 and five that we don't.
advertising

10 Want: M'Baku

M'Baku may have been an ally to T'Challa in Black Panther, but Avengers: Infinity War created the perfect means for turning him into a 'villain' for our protagonist. Both T'Challa and Shuri were killed by Thanos' Decimation and, as such, that left a void in Wakanda. M'Baku likely took the throne following this carnage as we saw him survive in Avengers: Infinity War.

Would M'Baku willingly give up the throne to a ghost re-appearing from the dead after five years of ruling? That's longer than  T'Challa had ruled before the snap. As such, it's unlikely that M'Baku will give up his seat, and we may see a Wakandan Game of Thrones stem from this political conflict.

9 Don't Want: White Wolf

White Wolf is an incredibly interesting villain and he would be a great contender to fight T'Challa, but it seems as though Marvel Studios have no intention to delve further into the character as they gave Bucky the alias during his tenure in Wakandan care. This seems to hint that Ryan Coogler has no intention to use the White Wolf.

There are plenty of other options for Black Panther 2, so this is understandable. If Coogler knew he wasn't ever going to use White Wolf, at least giving fans a name drop to show recognition is something, even if it is a little unsatisfying. Going back on that and introducing a 'real' White Wolf who is a villain would be somewhat jarring following this reveal.

8 Want: Doctor Doom

Marvel now owns the Fox properties, meaning that they have access to both the X-Men and Fantastic Four. With that in mind, we can finally see Latveria appear in the MCU with Doctor Doom as its leader. Where this nation will fit is unknown - could it have existed all along like Wakanda, or could it spawn from the ruins of another country such as Sokovia?

It remains to be seen, but if Doctor Doom does debut, it should be in Black Panther 2. Rather than being an outright villain right off the bat, they could build up the tension between their countries that would ultimately lead to a major conflict in the third film. There's another villain that could be included in this war of nations - Namor.

7 Don't Want: American Panther & Hate-Monger

American Panther is, simply put, a racist. His father was murdered by his mother's lover, and the killer was a foreigner who, under their court, wasn't punished. As such, the American Panther, whose name is unknown, developed a hatred for outsiders. He executed the man behind his father's death before joining the NYPD.

Hate-Monger used this against him, manipulating the American Panther into becoming his champion to take down the Black Panther's watchful guise and protection over Hell's Kitchen. The problem is that T'Challa, in the films, does not need to watch over this slice of New York, so it would be difficult to bring these two villains into the sequel.

6 Want: Namor

As mentioned earlier, Namor, the Sub-Mariner, the King of Atlantis, would be a perfect candidate for a villain in the next couple of Black Panther films. Whilst an all-out war would be a little bit too much for a second film, introducing him and building up tension would be a great idea for leading into a clash of titans in the finale to the trilogy.

In the comics, Namor has flooded Wakanda before, which was a pivotal moment that built up a strong hatred between him and T'Challa. Namor isn't exactly a 'villain', as he was on the Illuminati council, working with Black Panther, albeit whilst the two were at each other's throats. Having a morally questionable character would be refreshing for the MCU.

5 Don't Want: Barricade / The Supremacists

The B on this brute's chest doesn't stand for beefcake, unfortunately. It stands for Barricade and this big boy of a villain is a rogue S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who tried to kidnap none other than Captain America. He, along with White Avenger, Captain Blaze, Harrier, Hungyr and Voortrekker all acted on behalf of the white African nation of Azania against the black inhabitants.

T'Challa's panther spirit detached from him and murdered those who supported the Azania regime and, from this conflict, the Supremacists were sent to take down the Black Panther. This story could be modernized and made to work but ultimately, it would take the supreme side of Killmonger and apply it to a spirit that would frame T'Challa, making for a somewhat convoluted and repetitive narrative.

4 Want: Achebe

Achebe is often regarded as Black Panther's very own Joker. He was a farmer living in Ghudaza until one day, the rebels came and burned down his farm, stabbing him 32 times, and taking his wife who fell for them. In his desperation and insane hatred, he made a deal with Mephisto. Following his survival, he hunted down anyone who was in league with his wife or the rebels.

What was truly terrifying about his vendetta was that he would do unto them as they had done unto him - he would stab his victims 32 times before burning down their land. Through Achebe, the MCU could try their hands at the horror genre, much like Doctor Strange 2 claims to be.

3 Don't Want: Klaue

Klaue died in Black Panther and fans have been staggering to come up with ways to bring back the sorely wasted Andy Serkis, who debuted in the MCU through Avengers: Age of Ultron. The leading idea is that he could manifest as sound itself as he did in the comics.

However, the superhero trope of bringing back the dead rather than leaving them buried so that the world may move on is a tired one. Bringing characters back to life devalues death and lessens the impact of subsequent downfalls. If Yondu came back, would you trust any further demises in the Guardians of the Galaxy series?

2 Want: Kraven the Hunter

Kraven nearly appeared in Black Panther, but Sony didn't want to play ball as they are making their own film. Dimitri, who is likely Chameleon, was introduced in Spider-Man: Far From Home, and the two are intrinsically connected characters. As such, it's likely that Kraven is somewhere out there in the MCU.

Even if he isn't the main villain of the film, which is likely, Kraven being introduced in Black Panther 2 as a side-character, in a post-credits scene or through a cameo, would be a stellar way to hype up Sony's film and any subsequent appearances that he may have in Spider-Man's multi-film series.

1 Don't Want: Malice

Finally, a villain that many fans have been asking for. Lupita Nyong'o plays Nakia in Black Panther and she is T'Challa's love interest. In the comics, she becomes a bitter ex who develops a strong vendetta which ultimately leads to her becoming a supervillain that targets T'Challa.

Following the staggeringly motivational, powerful and emotive reasonings behind Killmonger's actions in the first film, a bitter and jealous ex-girlfriend would be a somewhat poor choice and a severe downgrade. Lupita has the acting chops, as she proved in 2019's Us, and so seeing her as a villain again would be stellar, but this isn't the film for it.

https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-sequel-antagonists-enemies-desire-tchalla/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 08:06:08 pm by JRCarter »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: December 30, 2019, 04:54:04 am »
Don't disagree with much of this list. I don't think Malice was set up for a villain turn. I wish they had held back and had Lupita play Storm. Of course they didn't know they would be getting the X-Men back, but I think she would've been great as Storm. She's good as Nakia, and though I like the idea of seeing Storm and Black Panther together in a film, I would like to see them build on what they already got with Nakia and T'Challa.

Would like to see Dr. Doom, Namor, Kraven as villains. I think Rhino would be a good physical threat villain as well. I rather like M'Baku as a frenemy more than an outright villain now. But the idea of another monarch of Wakanda while Black Panther was deceased would be a very good storyline. If they hadn't killed off Shuri too it could've been a way to introduce the Black Panther Shuri storyline.

I would be okay with the Supremacists as villains as well. Don't know why they don't do more with them in the comics. Achebe would also be good. Morlun could be as well. Unfortunately there was no set-up for White Wolf, and with them using that name for Winter Soldier, I can't see them going that way. I don't think Hate-Monger and American Panther were that well-used in the Panther books I read, but I'm not opposed to using them. I do think Vlad the Impaler was a better villain for David Liss's run and wouldn't mind seeing him, if not for Panther then for like a Moon Knight show.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: December 30, 2019, 07:21:45 am »
I think the BP Storm thing should just die off already. Marvel and x office killed it and showed what they thought of it. Up until Coates had them start dating thru were still having Storm taking pot shots at T'Challa. It's time to move on.

Doom abd Namor also aren't being mentioned for BPs sake but because people think that they will somehow fet a doom war story or see Wakanda get flooded. Thar ain't going to happen nor really should we expect them to make debuts. Cap iron man abd Thor used their own villains so the same should be for T'Challa though kraven as a minor villain would be fine

Mbaku is a bro now so turning him wastes the set up in the first movie.

Supremacist can and should be used. Especially in todays climate . Achebe is a given too

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: December 30, 2019, 01:28:03 pm »
I do want to see Doom and Namor, but I don't want MCU BP to be taking L's like that from them though. I think they are big enough names to go against T'Challa, though I want an MCU DoomWar to turn out much differently than the comics, with T'Challa decisively besting Doom mentally and physically. Also, I am fine with Namor flooding Wakanda if Atlantis gets paid back in kind. I also think Kraven would be great. He could match up on a physical level and would allow them to move away from the politics of the first film.

I'm a big fan of the Storm-T'Challa marriage. I thought the idea was great and I think it was done dirty by Marvel and hater comics readers who never cared for BP or Storm really either, but were triggered by the idea of a strong black supercouple in comics. I would like to see it get a better treatment on screen than we saw in the comics after Mr. Hudlin left.

I agree with you about using the Supremacists, but I think it would be too triggering and Disney would be afraid of backlash and would not go there with them. That's why I can see Achebe being a villain they would be more wiling to use, because it would be black-on-black.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: December 30, 2019, 01:54:49 pm »
The thing about Doom is done right, he should take several movies to tell his tale.  I wouldn't want to see Doom start in BP.  BP's movie shouldn't be just a building block for an FF movie. 

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - Black Panther's Black Creators
« Reply #3157 on: January 03, 2020, 10:27:07 pm »
Black Panther's Black Creators - Comic Tropes (Episode 89)
http://youtu.be/ZaMNn4JnSqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaMNn4JnSqg

Black Panther has had a number of different writers and artists since he first appeared back in 1966. Prior to his movie coming out, I thought it would be worth taking a look at some of the mythology that was added to the character by several key Black comics creators.

This isn't a full history of every story the character has been in but it does look at his evolution and definition by a handful of important artists and writers.

ComicTropes

The contribution made by Afrakan men and women to the Black Panther is an interesting topic to me and as such this will have to be an ongoing topic for there are too many creatives to simply list and just gloss over their contribution. I'll start with the artist Billy Graham as he was what drew me to my first issue of Black Panther.

I was too young to fully comprehend McGregor's writing but that artwork was what I could look at with wonder and appreciation. I never saw McGregor as verbose especially when I became mature enough to grasp his work but how Billy Graham graphically interpreted those words was a game changer.

There was something so cool about T'Challa's Black Panther habit always getting torn and shredded.

Here's a great article on Billy Graham
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/movies/black-panther-luke-cage-artist-billy-graham.html?referer=
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:31:58 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Gessela

• View Profile
    • Gessela Studios
Re: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - The Black Panther's "Black" Creatives
« Reply #3158 on: January 04, 2020, 12:23:05 pm »
One of the best Black Panther artist ever. It would be great if Marvel published an artist edition of his work without the paragraphs of verbiage McGregor adorned the pages with. Over-sized and hardcover.
ግሥላ = Panther

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: January 04, 2020, 11:26:35 pm »
One of the best Black Panther artist ever. It would be great if Marvel published an artist edition of his work without the paragraphs of verbiage McGregor adorned the pages with. Over-sized and hardcover.

This and his Luke Cage artwork.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3160 on: January 07, 2020, 01:01:42 am »
THE MOOD. THE TEXTURES. THE KINETIC FLUIDITY. BILLY GRAHAM.

He so deserved to be mentioned in the special thank you credits in the BP movie. Hopefully this grave oversight will be corrected in the sequel.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - BP's "Black" Creatives *ARTIST * Billy Graham
« Reply #3161 on: January 08, 2020, 12:23:22 pm »
Billy Graham's 85th Birthday will be this year. Here is a cool article found on the site The Great Comic Book Heroes.

Billy Graham, born July 1, 1935 - died 1999, was an African-American comic-book artist best known for his work on the Marvel Comics series Luke Cage, Hero for Hire, and the Jungle Action feature, "Black Panther".

Billy Graham came on the comics scene as the 70's Civil Rights Movement was at it's height. It was suddenly cool to be black and Marvel wanted to jump on the band wagon by creating the very first comic series dedicated to a black hero, Luke Cage, Hero For Hire!

Luke Cage's first appearance was in the first issue of his ongoing bi-monthly comic, Luke Cage, Hero For Hire, which debuted in June of 1972.

Marvel being the progressive company that they were, they wanted to get a black person to help work on Luke Cage, Hero For Hire. They didn't have any African-Americans working in the Marvel Bull Pen at the time so they went looking outside for someone. Billy Graham had been doing work for Warren Publishing on some of their titles like Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella. Because he was untried, they had him ink the more seasoned George Tuska's pencils.

This lasted for a number of issues but by issue #13, Sep 1973, Billy was penciling and inking Hero For Hire himself. Then with issue #14 Billy was adding scripting to his duties, helping Steve Englehart with his story. I imagine Billy may have been helping Steve with authentic African/American slang of the time.

Billy finished out his stint on Hero For Hire with issue #17 and then moved on to Jungle Action,  featuring the Black Panther. Jungle Action was an epic work written by Don McGregor that was unique for it's time for having a massive story arc, called the Panther's Rage, which ran from issue #6 to issue #18. Billy jumped on with issue #10.

Billy Graham would push the boundaries of what a splash page looked like as seen here in this splash from Jungle Action #16, July 1975 with it's awesome title lettering.

You can see Billy Graham's dynamic figure work in this splash page from Jungle Action #13, Jan 1975 inked by a young P. Craig Russell who would go on and become a famous artist in his own right.

Before finishing Frank Miller's famous Daredevil run, Klaus Janson would bring a strong noirish feel and realism to Graham's fluid figures and faces. A young Bob McCloud, who went on to co-create the New Mutants with Chris Claremont, would bring a crisp, clean line to Billy's loose, impressionistic work.

Billy Graham would create wonderfully daring page layouts for Jungle Action.

It's fun the way Billy followed the Panther's upward movement on the left page and carried it over to the right page with a giant leap of the Panther in this double page spread from Jungle Action #17, Sep 1975.

Here is an unused cover for Jungle Action #14, Dec 1974.

Billy worked for Marvel throughout the 70's and in the early 80's he followed Don McGregor to Eclipse Comics to work on Saber but then he dropped out of comics all together. He was an actor and a stunt man as well as being a great artist and it seems that he moved on to Hollywood in the 80's and 90's.

He was a great artist, and a wonderful representative for African-Americans in comics at the height of the cultural revolution, creating wonderful African-American heroes and being a hero for all African-American comic lovers.

Full unedited article here.
http://thegreatcomicbookheroes.blogspot.com/2015/06/happy-64th-birthday-black-panther-and.html

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: January 09, 2020, 01:29:12 pm »
That original page from MARVEL's 'Jungle Action' is absolutely stunning!  8)

Y'dig?

Sho 'nuff!

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3163 on: January 09, 2020, 07:06:09 pm »
That original page from MARVEL's 'Jungle Action' is absolutely stunning!  8)

Y'dig?

Sho 'nuff!

I know, right. I love how Graham's artwork effortlessly portrays the Black Panther kinetically while being both subtle and lithe.

Next on the list is Dwayne Turner.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 07:33:29 pm by Ture »

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3164 on: January 09, 2020, 08:56:09 pm »
Panther artistic creative Dwayne Turner

During his stint at college, Dwayne Turner was freelancing for Marvel. His work at that time included 'Transformers' and 'The Hulk'. Dwayne also worked for the Distinguish Competition doing a mini-series called 'Power of the Atom. He alongside Neal Adams worked on 'Ms Mystic' and Dwayne Turner also illustrated trading cards for Continuity. He did the artwork for 1992's  'Cage' and worked on DC's 'Sovereign Seven'. Dwayne Turner also worked on 'Curse of the Spawn' and 'Spawn: the Undead'. Why Mr Turner is on this list of course is for his lending his talents to Marvel for the mini-series 'Black Panther: Panther's Prey' written by Don McGregor in 1991.

This is how Marvel promoted this new BP mini series.

I still have the original and thought it was so cool that BP was being promoted this way. I also remember being excited that there was something else coming out on my favorite hero after the well done 25 chapter read Panther's Quest. Now while this picture may be too small to read it says the following.

" The perfect society is cracking apart... can he stop it before it shatters? Black Panther in Panther's Prey. A four part book shelf format series from Marvel Comics. Featuring the return of supporting characters from the original Jungle Action series... and appearances by the Fantastic Four, The Avengers and Spider-Man!"

Perfect society? That was an interesting description since Wakanda was hardly depicted as such during McGregor's tenure. Needless to say I picked up on the crack reference and found it ridiculous that a drug such as that would find its way in the hands of Wakandan youth. I understood that it was a topical subject and current event at the time just as apartheid was but how it would be handled had me suspect. Neither the Fantastic Four, the Avengers nor Spider-Man showed up and T'Challa went through the patented McGregor abuse. However the artwork which is why we're here was something new for the Black Panther.

The "Perfect" Society

Scroll over to fully appreciate the beauty of central Wakanda

Scroll over to fully appreciate the beauty of the vibranium mine

We were treated to one of the most in-depth tours of Wakanda ever to grace the pages of a BP comic.

Remember what I said about Graham portraying the Black Panther kinetically while being both subtle and lithe.

I've always appreciated when a characters movement are detailed with after images. Every pose or posture graphically articulated in an almost stop motion manner. No lazy artists need apply.

MORE DWAYNE TURNER TO COME