Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - Recast or The Two Killings of T'Challa the Black Panther  (Read 649104 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Of this list, I like Aldis Hodge the best. I'm impressed most of the times I see him and I hope he gets that really big break.

Another actor that comes to mind is Djimon Hounsou. He was long the dream for many as the live-action T'Challa. Though he is pushing 60, he still is in good shape, and doesn't look his age. Though he's already played a character in the MCU, there is a history of casting actors (Alfre Woodard and Peter Mensah come to mind) for two different roles in the MCU (albeit, these were roles went from movie to television, and the television roles were more prominent whereas the movie roles were like cameos). The biggest one is Mahershala Ali who played a well-regarded role in Luke Cage, but will now take on Blade. If fans aren't griping about that, I don't see why they would about Hounsou if he got the role as a Black Panther. I don't think he will, but I wish his name was in the mix. Perhaps he could play T'Challa's uncle, who also had been a Black Panther, as they are setting up the transition to Shuri.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Of this list, I like Aldis Hodge the best. I'm impressed most of the times I see him and I hope he gets that really big break.

Another actor that comes to mind is Djimon Hounsou. He was long the dream for many as the live-action T'Challa. Though he is pushing 60, he still is in good shape, and doesn't look his age. Though he's already played a character in the MCU, there is a history of casting actors (Alfre Woodard and Peter Mensah come to mind) for two different roles in the MCU (albeit, these were roles went from movie to television, and the television roles were more prominent whereas the movie roles were like cameos). The biggest one is Mahershala Ali who played a well-regarded role in Luke Cage, but will now take on Blade. If fans aren't griping about that, I don't see why they would about Hounsou if he got the role as a Black Panther. I don't think he will, but I wish his name was in the mix. Perhaps he could play T'Challa's uncle, who also had been a Black Panther, as they are setting up the transition to Shuri.

One thing I was disappointed In was that he and Wesley snipes didn't get cameos in some form in BP. Djimon for voicing T'Challa in the bet series, and Wesley because of his drive to try and make a BP movie happen.

Of that list (not that I am one to usually partake in WHO should succeed T'Chadwick) the first 3 anyone of them would be good choices, Aldis being the one I'm most familiar with so he might have a slight edge for me personally. But something about JDW succeeding Chadwick after what Chad had to say about his father would have a certain appreciation as well too
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:42:59 am by Ezyo »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

One thing I was disappointed In was that he and Wesley snipes didn't get cameos in some form in BP. Djimon for voicing T'Challa in the bet series, and Wesley because of his drive to try and make a BP movie happen.

Of that list (not that I am one to usually partake in WHO should succeed T'Chadwick) the first 3 anyone of them would be good choices, Aldis being the one I'm most familiar with so he might have a slight edge for me personally. But something about JDW succeeding Chadwick after what Chad had to say about his father would have a certain appreciation as well too

I hadn't considered that tie between Boseman and Denzel before. JDW being cast would be a nice, full circle kind of thing in a way.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Saw this was live on You Tube:

Shuri Becomes Black Panther After Namor KILLS Chadwick On Screen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxuSEVN-wI

I don't think Marvel is THAT stupid. I think they ARE smart enough to play with us via media and purposely float various preposterous or not so preostrous "leaks" to gauge public reaction. Killing Chadwick onscreen? Absolutely hell no. Recasting T'Challa The Black Panther...and making Shuri The Ancient Future? That's where Marvel should go with this.

I pray you are right brother SI ! If history is any indicator, the last thing we can expect Marvel to do is what those two brothers on YouTube were theorizing, which was disturbing and left me wondering what they were smoking!?! If you have hopes of adding Namor to the MCU, the worst thing you could do is introduce him by killing off a beloved figure with a strong following, especially a Black hero in a not yet diverse enough industry.

T'Challa is not dead, all respect and love to Chadwick, but there are more T'Challa stories to tell; spying on the Avengers seems to me to be a logical next story to explore, disguising himself as Luke Charles, ex-patriating from Wakanda, while setting up holdings in America are just a few ideas that could be explored.

My Two Cents..

Peace,

Mont

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Announced today, no-recast
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Announced today, no-recast

They might think they’re honoring Chadwick by not recasting but, again, he probably wouldn't have wanted the character T’Challa to die with him. And considering how big Marvel tends to get on brand synergy, I can’t help but worry what that means for comics T’Challa.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
"(Boseman's) portrayal of T'Challa the Black Panther is iconic and transcends any iteration of the character in any other medium from Marvel's past, and it's for that reason, that we will not react the character," Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige said during his presentation at Disney Investor Day.

"However, to honor the legacy that Chad helped us build, we want to continue to explore the world of Wakanda and all the rich and varied characters introduced in the first film. The sequel is scheduled to be released on July 8, 2022, and will be written and directed by Ryan Coogler."

While this wasn't unexpected, it just go to show that the trials and tribulations that have plague the Black Panther in the comic books are also present in his cinematic iteration. Touring Wakanda without T'Challa may give me the same feeling reading Maberry's run with Shuri as the lead did. I am thinking that Marvel may try to introduce a new male Black Panther or bring T'Challa back in the third installment. This could come out of their Multiverse interconnecting plot device and maybe Marvel just wants a palette cleanse with the second film.

Whatever the case I think they should have recast and not leave such an unnecessary cavity in the MCU. After all...

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:30:39 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Excerpt Taken from 2018's Superheroes That Will Die In Avengers 4 Article

Considering how popular Shuri has become since the release of Black Panther, it's likely comic book fans worried for her throughout Avengers: Infinity War. Marvel readers know that T'Challa's sister held the mantle of Black Panther in the comics for some time, and eventually sacrificed her life fighting Thanos' Cabal in the Time Runs Out mini-event leading up to 2015's Secret Wars.

Of course, what's true in the comics has proven time and again to not necessarily be true in the movies. However, if Shuri were to die in Avengers 4, it could lead to an interesting opportunity for Black Panther 2.

When writer Ta-Nehisi Coates helped relaunch the Black Panther comic in 2016, he ended the first issue by revealing that T'Challa was struggling with how to bring Shuri back from the dead. Eventually, Shuri did return — and with powers connected to the ancestral origins of Wakanda.

Part of the unique nature of Wakanda is the blending of space-age technology and tribal mysticism. If Shuri were to die in Avengers 4 and return in a fashion similar to her comic book resurrection, it would give director Ryan Coogler a chance to explore the more mystic side of Wakanda's roots.

https://marvelmoviesnews.com/superheroes-that-will-die-in-avengers-4

So for all those clamoring for comic book accuracy and demanding Shuri take the mantle of Black Panther here's a sneak peek of what they could translate on screen.

WAKANDA IN RUINS... POSSIBLY BY FLOOD?!?

T'CHALLA AND SHURI ON THE RUN?!?

SHURI'S UNNECESSARY SACRIFICE?!?

DON'T WORRY THERE IS NO WAY SHE'LL BE ON HER KNEES... W'KABI!!!

THE CLASSIC NOBLE SACRIFICE AND OFF SCREEN SLAYINGI!!!

WHEN NEXT WE SEE SHURI SHE'S IN THE ANCESTRAL PLAIN BUT DON'T WORRY SHE IS STILL THE BLACK PANTHER. ALL THAT'S LEFT IS TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO KILL T'CHALLA AND WHO GOT NEXT?

For all the A.G.E.N.D.A. pushers you may witness the demise of not only T'Challa but Shuri as well. It called killing two Black Panthers ("Black" heroes, "Black" characters) with one vibranium stone. Yea I said it.

This is yet ANOTHER BRILLIANT ESSAY by Ture. This brutha must have a spin on the Old Skool Dungeons and Dragons Bucknard's Ever Full Purse [ always stayed full of loot no matter how many coins you spent from it ] https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2t3wz?ADD-1E2E-Bucknards-Everfull-Purse...but instead of being filled with precious gems, jewelry and valuable items? Brother Ture's Bag of Holding is Ever Filled with DOPE ESSAYS PACKED WITH PENETRATING THOUGHTS AND BRILLIANT OBSERVATIONS FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF A PROUD, STRONG, GENIUS LEVEL AFRAKAN MALE.

As for Marvel? They. Bet. Not. Remove T'Challa. I really don't see them doing that. Disney? Will not throw over a franchise NETTING MORE THAN $1B per picture, just to hate on US...because we'll carry our $1B to some other depiction which DOES bring us a BP like figure.

Brother Supreme I apologize for the late reply. Much, much appreciation for you comments and insight.

As we can now see they are not going to recast T'Challa the Black Panther. This is a mistake and a costly one at that.

Morally it is reprehensible by virtue of the fact  that in not recasting, Marvel eliminates the potential of their only marquee Afrakan male character on screen, cable or streaming that has a non-colonized, independent, futuristic Afrakan centered cultural reference to pull from.

Not recasting further deletes the inspiration found by so many people especially young people in seeing such a superhero on the big screen along side the usual suspects. This slaying of inspiration is akin to a fictional lynching, one so well orchestrated by social media that children have mock funerals for a character that has not died. 

Further complicity is evidenced in attaching the idea that not recasting is respectful to Chadwick Boseman's legacy. I could not envision such a gifted actor being pleased with the denial of opportunity for other actors to play the Black Panther and thus add their unique talents to further expand the character. This just comes off disingenuous.

I'm pleased that myself and many others got the opportunity to experience the event and spectacle that was the Black Panther of 2018. The movie; the merchandise; the interest and hype; the awards and tributes. Think about it, we don't even have anymore toy stores nowadays. As a collector and enthusiast I miss that feeling of going to the stores and getting collectibles. Thankfully back then I got to see shelves full of BP merch, a Halloween in which BP was one of the most popular costumes.

I had a feeling that we would not bee seeing something on that level for a very long time to come and unfortunately I may be correct. I don't think I'll have much interest let alone enthusiasm in a Black Panther film that doesn't have T'Challa the Black Panther front and center and I don't think I'll be alone in that respect either.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marvel Won’t Recast Black Panther; Plots ‘Fantastic Four’ Reboot; Casts Christian Bale in ‘Thor 4’

http://variety.com/2020/film/news/marvel-black-panther-fantastic-four-reboot-casts-christian-bale-thor-4-1234851345/

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
From MoS from CBR hits the nail right on the head

Quote from: MindofShadow;
Disney: We can't recast out of respect but we can push the movie ahead as planned bc we can still make money off that ass!

But really.... look at the announced plans of the other movies. T'challa made a billion dollars yet... where are teh Wakanda spin offs? Captain marvel got one with secret invasion. Thor got one wit Loki. Cap franchise got fal/WS. Dr strange is infecting the whole damn phase it seems like. Huge news bringing back fanservice crap to Spider-man. Freaking hawkeye has a show. Iron Man franchise got TWO shows.

Black Panther franchise got... their lead character buried.

No one at Marvel cares about BP and never did. A billion dollars couldn't change it. Nothing ever will. It takes multigenerational fan boys to change stuff like this just like it takes generational wealth to drag black people out of poverty.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
From MoS from CBR hits the nail right on the head

Quote from: MindofShadow;
Disney: We can't recast out of respect but we can push the movie ahead as planned bc we can still make money off that ass!

But really.... look at the announced plans of the other movies. T'challa made a billion dollars yet... where are teh Wakanda spin offs? Captain marvel got one with secret invasion. Thor got one wit Loki. Cap franchise got fal/WS. Dr strange is infecting the whole damn phase it seems like. Huge news bringing back fanservice crap to Spider-man. Freaking hawkeye has a show. Iron Man franchise got TWO shows.

Black Panther franchise got... their lead character buried.

No one at Marvel cares about BP and never did. A billion dollars couldn't change it. Nothing ever will. It takes multigenerational fan boys to change stuff like this just like it takes generational wealth to drag black people out of poverty.

I like MoS's read on things here. As I've said before, to still my own attachment to Black Panther, that he belongs to Marvel/Disney and they will do with him, or not, as they wish. The creators, creatives, and fans play a role definitely in giving BP life, but ultimately it's people who could care less about him, or black characters in general for that matter, that make the final decisions.

Why shouldn't there be say an Agents of Wakanda series headed by Lupita or Danai Gurira? Or a Shuri solo series? A Dora Milaje series? Heck, even a Killmonger prequel series? Or a T'Chaka Panther series? The prequels could be used to build on the world of Black Panther and set up future movies.

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
Marvel Won’t Recast Black Panther; Plots ‘Fantastic Four’ Reboot; Casts Christian Bale in ‘Thor 4’

http://variety.com/2020/film/news/marvel-black-panther-fantastic-four-reboot-casts-christian-bale-thor-4-1234851345/

This is what happens of course when you make the world around the character, including his supporting cast and what not, as big or bigger than the character himself.  I’ve said before that the first BP movie did not center enough on TChalla and pretty much made him superfluous, with Shuri being the leader in tech, Okoye being its greatest warrior, Nakia being the activist, and all else.  They made Chadwick and his performance  bigger than the actual character, and did not show enough why TCHALLA needs to be the Black Panther. They made Wakanda and his supporting cast as big if not BIGGER than the lead character.  Most of the writers currently and recently even in the comics have focused on Wakanda as a whole and not so much on TChalla. (With a notable exception being Aaron in Avengers) And now?  This is an excuse to move forward with other characters and with the “culture” of Wakanda without TChalla.  Because at the end of the day, despite however one may see Boseman’s performance, TChalla the character was made to be not so necessary to Wakanda and the franchise. 

They could never do this with Stark because they made Stark the reason why the iron man armor, Stark Industries, everything, existed.  Steve Rogers IS Captain America.  But in BP, they took so much away from the character to despense to other characters.  This wasn’t done with any other movie character.  And as some people have been saying online “anyone can be the Black Panther”.  TChalla is unnecessary.  Of course, all the “respect to Boseman” hand wringing covers up the fact that they don’t see TChalla as necessary and rendered him as such in the movie.  I mean, Shuri had to tell him how to release energy from his suit?  Nakia had to inspire him to help others outside of Wakanda?  Okoye had to tell him not to “freeze” as if he’s a simple lovesick schoolboy?

The movie, while good in many ways, made TChalla unnecessary, and this decision not to recast is the fruits of that.  When people are talking about the actor MORE than the character itself, you’ve failed to give much to the character or make said character the necessary focus

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
They made Wakanda and his supporting cast as big if not BIGGER than the lead character. 

To be fair, i've posted on BP forums for years and a lot of the "BP" fans are really Wakanda fans. They care more about Wakanda than T'challa.

It sucks to say, but chadwick himself bears some of this blame due to not telling anyone what was going on. If Disney could have gotten ahead of this and Chadwick himself came and a blessed the cahracter moving on, we wouldn' tbe having thsi conversation. bu I guess he really really really really thought he was going to beat the cancer.

Situations sucks all around. I expected BP to suck in the comics by now, but to have him gone from the MCU in a flash is crushing to my fandom. Feels like it isn't even worth it anymore
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:30:34 pm by MindofShadow »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

This is what happens of course when you make the world around the character, including his supporting cast and what not, as big or bigger than the character himself.  I’ve said before that the first BP movie did not center enough on TChalla and pretty much made him superfluous, with Shuri being the leader in tech, Okoye being its greatest warrior, Nakia being the activist, and all else.  They made Chadwick and his performance  bigger than the actual character, and did not show enough why TCHALLA needs to be the Black Panther. They made Wakanda and his supporting cast as big if not BIGGER than the lead character.  Most of the writers currently and recently even in the comics have focused on Wakanda as a whole and not so much on TChalla. (With a notable exception being Aaron in Avengers) And now?  This is an excuse to move forward with other characters and with the “culture” of Wakanda without TChalla.  Because at the end of the day, despite however one may see Boseman’s performance, TChalla the character was made to be not so necessary to Wakanda and the franchise. 

They could never do this with Stark because they made Stark the reason why the iron man armor, Stark Industries, everything, existed.  Steve Rogers IS Captain America.  But in BP, they took so much away from the character to despense to other characters.  This wasn’t done with any other movie character.  And as some people have been saying online “anyone can be the Black Panther”.  TChalla is unnecessary.  Of course, all the “respect to Boseman” hand wringing covers up the fact that they don’t see TChalla as necessary and rendered him as such in the movie.  I mean, Shuri had to tell him how to release energy from his suit?  Nakia had to inspire him to help others outside of Wakanda?  Okoye had to tell him not to “freeze” as if he’s a simple lovesick schoolboy?

The movie, while good in many ways, made TChalla unnecessary, and this decision not to recast is the fruits of that.  When people are talking about the actor MORE than the character itself, you’ve failed to give much to the character or make said character the necessary focus

Definitely agree with a lot of what you're saying here. Any comic book character, most especially those that have been around for decades, are 'bigger' than the actors who play them, even those who give what many might consider definitive performances like Boseman, Christopher Reeve, or Wesley Snipes.

The issue you had with how T'Challa was made sort of unnecessary in his film was one I had as well. I thought T'Challa had a better outing in Civil War. He was formidable, relentless, and cunning. But in his own film he often had to share space or take a backseat to other characters in ways that made his character less important to the goings on. In Civil War he got to be one of those dynamic characters and perhaps got such a role in order to sell him to the audience. But in his own film, it's like they wanted to also sell the supporting cast and Wakanda, the idea and the nation. I'm just glad they twisted the story back around by the end to make it where only T'Challa could defeat Killmonger.

When I was looking at Fiege going over all the upcoming MCU stuff what he said about Mr. Boseman's take on the character, as surpassing (my words) all over versions didn't sit well with me. No disrespect to Boseman, but I liked Priest and Hudlin's takes on the characters, especially the Machiavellian Panther of Priest's run, a lot more than the MCU depiction. Though I imagine that millions around the world were first introduced to the character through Boseman and the BP film, that alone, as well as its popular doesn't supersede the other takes on the character IMO. Cloaking the decision to not recast in that kind of language is a bit suspect to me, even though I get it, and have argued for not recasting myself to honor what Boseman brought to the role and perhaps to teach a lesson to all of the young BP viewers about the fragility of life. But I've never thought that Boseman's take was the definitive one. As much as I love Christopher Reeve's Superman, I can't even say his is the definitive one, though I definitely love what he did. In time I've come to accept most of the others who put on the cape and I also think in time many can also do the same if T'Challa was recast.

The big issue here is though is that black characters don't get those kind of second and third chances much, and so I can understand the trepidation that not recasting T'Challa might mean him being sidelined for a long time or written all the way out of his own franchises.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:02:48 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
They made Wakanda and his supporting cast as big if not BIGGER than the lead character. 

To be fair, i've posted on BP forums for years and a lot of the "BP" fans are really Wakanda fans. They care more about Wakanda than T'challa.

It sucks to say, but chadwick himself bears some of this blame due to not telling anyone what was going on. If Disney could have gotten ahead of this and Chadwick himself came and a blessed the cahracter moving on, we wouldn' tbe having thsi conversation. bu I guess he really really really really thought he was going to beat the cancer.

Situations sucks all around. I expected BP to suck in the comics by now, but to have him gone from the MCU in a flash is crushing to my fandom. Feels like it isn't even worth it anymore

Interesting. Are these "BP" fans just fans of the movies, or they also read the comics? If they do the read the comics, I wonder if they came on board during the Coates era? I came on board during Hudlin's run and while Wakanda was neat, T'Challa was the most dynamic draw in the book, and then his marriage with Storm, for me.

I can imagine that Boseman might not to anger Disney if he spoke out or let any displeasure he had public. The George Floyd inspired protests have opened the floodgates in Hollywood, allowing blacks and other non-white actors, etc. to be more open about the racism and discrimination they face, or the hostility of their work environments, but that seems like lightyears away from where Hollywood was just a couple years ago. John Boyega, after Episode 9 was done, could more freely express his displeasure over how his character was depicted, in ways that to me where unheard of just five years ago when Episode 7 came out.

If Boseman had spoken out, there's no guarantee his words would've been heeded (especially if his medical condition was not known). Disney and the Hollywood media might have slimed him for being difficult or ungrateful (really uppity), or social media might have declared he was he exhibiting toxic masculinity and not supporting black women and girls, etc. if he expressed a desire to not be replaced by Shuri. I think there was more downside to speaking out a couple years go than it would be today. Look how easily social media has turned on Letitia Wright, and she was the one they were pushing for to take the mantle, and that's happening even now during this time of supposed reckoning with race.