Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER MCU - WAKANDA FOREVER - Ture's Review  (Read 1085109 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Panther Movie!!!
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2014, 06:37:42 am »
I wasn't saying France as a specific but just to round out the world.   My point is the international market is important.   It is so important that in the Red Dawn remake they digitally turned China into North Korea so they don't risk offending the Chinese market.  And I don't mean something in BP will offend the Chinese, I mean they want to make a lot of money of the Chinese.  (And Marvel won't get any money from pirated material so that market doesn't interest them. )

And that is my point. .. They want to sell this to the widest audience possible.   If they think a diverse cast will help that or showing up in Dallas will mean more money,  then that is what they will do.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:39:28 am by KIP LEWIS »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2014, 07:18:51 am »
I wasn't saying France as a specific but just to round out the world.   My point is the international market is important.   It is so important that in the Red Dawn remake they digitally turned China into North Korea so they don't risk offending the Chinese market.  And I don't mean something in BP will offend the Chinese, I mean they want to make a lot of money of the Chinese.  (And Marvel won't get any money from pirated material so that market doesn't interest them. )

And that is my point. .. They want to sell this to the widest audience possible.   If they think a diverse cast will help that or showing up in Dallas will mean more money,  then that is what they will do.

I know exactly what you are saying, however, there are many, many, many, many other factors that can determine the success or failure of American movies that carry more weight. Like, seasons and release dates... for example. There's also the possibility of an unfortunate event that could hinder the movie's development, as well. 

It's speculative at this point to make such a arbitrary decision this early in the process when there hasn't been a single piece of footage shot in principal photography yet other than that fan-made test-reel posted here at HEF few months ago...   ...and I pray to God/Allah/Shiva/Buddah whomever would hear me that the Black Panther movie doesn't use that syle of cinematography.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »

If I was Jill? I still wouldn't know Jack about location. So. I'm staying out of it.

Wherever it is? I trust that Marvel cares enough aobut making money off of ALL of its products that they will give BP a max go and do what they think will make them max money. We are likely not to be even 90% pleased with what they decide overall, so I'm hoping to be practical and "settle" for 80%.

The big test is BP's first appearance in Civil War. That's the big test. How does he do when he's faced off with Captain America, Thor, Widow, Hulk, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Falcon, Fury? Civil War SHOULD include Spider Man, F4, and the [ new ] Daredevil too, if at all possible. Would like to see Elektra as well...we need women...and the X-Men too. But all that is a crack dream that not even crack heads would have, in all likelihood. For all kinds of legal reasons, I'm pretty sure--and I'm sure the various illustrious members of HEF are better informed than I am regarding this subject matter--that the X-Men won't be in the same story as The Avengers are. Yet.

But AvX in the box office? Monster hit. Monster. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets within distant sight of Cameron's Titanic in sales. Say...top twelve all time?

On a tangent now. Hope AVATAR 2 is even better than AVATAR 1...

Back to our costumed heroes.

I actually do think they'll mix locales for Wakanda. Africa, Australia, Canada...wherever they can film amazing lush wildscapes for cheap...they'll do that. Like LORD OF THE RINGS. Mix it with specfx like AVATAR. Idk what their vision of Wakanda is, but if the ygo the ubertech route...which they shold...expect maybe a blend of AVATAR and TRON futuristic tech and wonders of nature cheek by jowl, maybe? It's very exciting to contemplate.

I would love to be a small part of this production, but I know better to HOPE so. I am definitely going to support it in the movies. And I really hope my friend Lateef gets stuntwork in BP. I mean..."Capoeira" is tailor made for BP.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 10:47:49 pm by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2014, 05:16:47 pm »

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2014, 10:48:28 pm »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2014, 08:03:45 am »
I just knew the fancasting would go over board.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2014, 03:55:26 pm »
Zuri would be a relatively small role and Booker T does look the part (at least, lately). Besides, if Batista could knock it out of the park as Drax...

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2014, 05:00:36 pm »
Two worth reading articles about the upcoming Black Panther Movie.

Marvel's 'Black Panther' Isn't Just Another Black Superhero

November 16, 2014 5:44 AM ET
CHARLES PULLIAM-MOORE
NPR

Last month Marvel Studios announced the roster for some upcoming features. In addition to Ant-Man and a female-led Captain Marvel film, Marvel's Kevin Feige confirmed that on November 3, 2017, the studio planned to release one of its longest-rumored projects: The Black Panther. We in the nerdier parts of the Internet promptly lost our minds.

In issue #52 of the Fantastic Four, Reed Richards receives a cryptic message from the Black Panther. The message is an invitation, offering the team a chance to visit Wakanda, his secluded home country hidden away in the jungles of east Africa. After the Foursome proves their worthiness in a fight, the Panther counts them amongst his allies and asks for their assistance in defeating the nefarious Ulysses Klaw. In time, the Black Panther would come to join the Fantastic Four and other American heroes like the Avengers and the X-Men on a number of their adventures.

Created by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee in 1966, the Black Panther was a first for mainstream American comics. Unlike the few black comic book characters that preceded him, T'Challa (the Black Panther) was a bona fide superhero with powers, plot lines, and an origin story that permanently expanded and altered Marvel's comic book universe.

It'd be easy to chalk up Marvel nerds' excitement about the movie to the fact that the Black Panther, as his name suggests, is black. That's only part of it, though. In fact the Black Panther is the latest in a long line of black superheroes Marvel has brought to the big screen.

Wesley Snipes portrayed Blade in 1998 and later in the film's two sequels. Halle Berry has reprised her role as Storm in every X-Men film since 2000. Depending on which of the Iron Man films you're watching, either Terrence Howard or Don Cheadle is moonlighting as War Machine. Most recently, Anthony Mackie played sidekick to Captain America as the Falcon.

The thing that makes the Black Panther exciting isn't really his race, it's where he's from – the great nation of Wakanda.A secretive and isolationist country, Wakanda possesses the world's largest deposit of vibranium, a vibration-absorbing metal that is exceedingly valuable for its technological applications. (It's also the substance that composes Captain America's shield.)

Wary of conflict and foreign exploitation, Wakanda shut out the rest of the world, choosing instead to become a largely self-sustaining society. Through Wakanda, Marvel toyed with and subverted stereotypical depictions of Africa as "wild" or "exotic." Instead, Wakanda was a futuristic African nation that had never been conquered or touched by colonialism.

Depictions of Wakanda have varied over the years, but the country is consistently described as a technological mecca built on a foundation of magic and metal. Disease and poverty are eclipsed by scientific innovation and economic prosperity. Put simply, Wakanda is the perfect example of Afrofuturistic science fiction.

In his 1994 essay "Black To The Future," Mark Dery first coined the term "Afrofuturism." As a style, the term refers to art that explores the experiences of black people through science fiction. Dery describes it as a way of remixing reality. An Afrofuturist reading of the transatlantic slave trade becomes an epic tragedy about alien abductees. Truth: Red, White, and Black reimagines the Tuskegee Experiments as tests for the same supersoldier serum that created Captain America.

Artists like Octavia Butler, Sun-Ra, and George Clinton all incorporated Afrofuturist themes into their writing and music. Their stories of alien peoples and interstellar travel paved the way for contemporary artists like Outkast and Janelle Monae. Almost every one of Monae's songs tells the story of Cindi Mayweather, a time-traveling android on a mission to liberate her people. The cyborgs in her music videos not only have black faces, but also a recognizably black relationship to a society that views them as soulless automatons.

As a subgenre of science fiction, Afrofuturism has never enjoyed the same kind of widespread popularity as steam- or cyberpunk. In 1976, Richard Pryor famously riffed on Logan's Run, a dystopian vision of the future, that was conspicuously devoid of black faces. That absence in mainstream sci-fi, according to comic book historian Adilifu Nama, is due mainly to the cultural implications of seeing black faces in fantasy worlds.

"Afrofuturism creates a space in which blackness is equated with futurism, cybernetics and super-science," he explained. "All of these ideas undermine the trope of the urban, or the subservient, or the criminal."

Science fiction often envisions worlds where race and ethnicity have given way to one dystopian threat or another. Seeing black people in space, fighting robots and saving the world can break that fantasy for audiences.

"Blackness in sci-fi is political," Nama continued. "Rather than challenge the audience it's just easier to not depict."

And that same challenge to the audience is what makes a Black Panther film something worth getting excited about.

Unlike the fantasyscapes seen in Guardians of the Galaxy, Wakanda is grounded within a familiar, if slightly fictionalized, world. Africa (being, you know, an actual continent) fits neatly into Marvel's ever-expanding universe, and that's a big deal. We're still three years out from it, but the promise of seeing Chadwick Boseman as the sworn protector of Wakanda is cause for cautious anticipation.

Not only could Black Panther stay true to its sci-fi narrative roots, but with the full power of the Marvel hype machine, it could easily become the first truly mainstream Afrofuturist film.

Chadwick Boseman Talks About Upcoming Role as Black Panther
November 16, 2014 | Shay Mathews

Marvel announced plans for future movie releases, among them a confirmation that the studio would produce a Black Panther solo film—and a reveal: they have already found the actor who will portray the formidable superhero in Chadwick Boseman.

During an interview with ABC News, Marvel exec Tom Brevoort emphasized the importance of the Marvel character. He said, "The Black Panther, he was the first superhero of color in 1966. At the time, it was still considered daring. He is the latest in a long line of Black Panthers. His father was a Black Panther before him and his father before him, and so forth."

As the leader of the fictional African nation of Wakanda, which is "more technologically advanced and wealthier than any other nation on Earth," the Panther has a great deal of responsibility, and he handles it well. "[He is] a learned man, a scientist, a world traveler, a man of culture, a man of great dignity and respect," added Brevoort.

Boseman portrayed legendary baseball player Jackie Robinson in 42 and the "Godfather of Soul" (James Brown) in Get On Up, proving he is more than capable of taking on iconic roles. But he recently admitted to CBR News that he was surprised by the fan response to Marvel's announcement. "The reaction on stage at the El Capitan Theater was, like, amazing," Boseman said. "Just to be there—the way that Marvel set it up and wanted to surprise people with it—it was one of the best surprises that I've ever been a part of. I've heard from a lot of my friends, and a lot of people I didn't know have congratulated me. I tried to get away from everything just to ground myself. But it's been amazing. I'm so excited! I'm ready to start right now, and they're telling me: 'Slow down a little bit!'"

Boseman is keenly aware of the magnitude of the opportunity. "It's never been done. It's been done before in different ways, but it's never been done exactly like this," he said. "Wesley Snipes also had his own franchise–you have to acknowledge that. You have to acknowledge what [Anthony] Mackie's doing [with the Falcon]. But this is a little different in the way that Marvel is presenting it, so it's amazing."

The studio plans to keep the actor around for awhile. Deadline reports that Boseman has signed a five-film deal that kicks off with 2016's Captain America: Civil War—before the Black Panther stand-alone film debuts in 2017.

http://www.stack.com/2014/11/16/chadwick-boseman-black-panther/
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

APEXABYSS

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2014, 12:17:48 am »

For this movie to be called a success and for them to make more it has to sell very well in Japan,  China and France.  So you know they are going to make it with that in mind.

That's just a provisional theory.

Counterfeit entertainment runs rampant in China regardless of movie location and Japan seems to enjoy American movies to not be concerned with location(s).  ...and France?  Let's just say that France and U.S.A. have a revolving appreciation/discontent relationship that hinges on what mood the citizens happen to be in at the time...   
...and timing is everything.
It would not be wise to lose the integrity of a Black Panther movie by shooting in those locations in order to theoretically generate more revenue from countries overseas.     

The Black Panther movie should be able to tell the very best story that it can and be judged on its own merit without any of the frills.

depends on your definition of "frills"... yeh, story should be the very best...

still not feelin' the suit! should have more abilities than iron man- doubt it. anyway, BP is royalty. the panther suit should reflect...

royalty (look familiar?)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2014, 03:23:15 am »

The word would carry the same definition that you'd find at Google.

Here... let me help you.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2014, 01:49:03 pm »
Great reads!  Thanks Ture!

Peace,

Mont

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2014, 06:39:17 pm »

For this movie to be called a success and for them to make more it has to sell very well in Japan,  China and France.  So you know they are going to make it with that in mind.

That's just a provisional theory.

Counterfeit entertainment runs rampant in China regardless of movie location and Japan seems to enjoy American movies to not be concerned with location(s).  ...and France?  Let's just say that France and U.S.A. have a revolving appreciation/discontent relationship that hinges on what mood the citizens happen to be in at the time...   
...and timing is everything.
It would not be wise to lose the integrity of a Black Panther movie by shooting in those locations in order to theoretically generate more revenue from countries overseas.     

The Black Panther movie should be able to tell the very best story that it can and be judged on its own merit without any of the frills.

still not feelin' the suit! should have more abilities than iron man- doubt it. anyway, BP is royalty. the panther suit should reflect...

royalty (look familiar?)

I agree that the Panther suit should reflect royalty, but I think the suits he rocked under Priest and some of Hudlin's suits were just fine. I don't particularly care for the old skool not quite matte black Panther habit. I would like a space black Panther habit with Priest era gold highlights, Light Armor, Thrice Blessed, etc.

I think really that TChalla should rock a techno-ka-psi-magic habit, like he does in my fanfics. That way, he's covered to a very significant degree no matter what goes down
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

APEXABYSS

« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2014, 01:09:16 pm »

The word would carry the same definition that you'd find at Google.

Here... let me help you.

Thanks, Battle! cool! Your help was a... frill?  Degrees & variables? we will see...

I agree that the Panther suit should reflect royalty, but I think the suits he rocked under Priest and some of Hudlin's suits were just fine. I don't particularly care for the old skool not quite matte black Panther habit. I would like a space black Panther habit with Priest era gold highlights, Light Armor, Thrice Blessed, etc.

I think really that TChalla should rock a techno-ka-psi-magic habit, like he does in my fanfics. That way, he's covered to a very significant degree no matter what goes down

Interesting take on the panther suit, Supreme Illuminati. Any examples or references? What you’re describing reminds me of  “Cutler”-- (a character) from the Disney XD animated series Tron: Uprising

Cutler

cool show. Catch it on Netflix. I think?

edit: Any examples or references? duh! Priest era BP! uhm... luv where he took the character... he's a creative juggernaut, but...

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:23:35 pm by APEXABYSS »

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2014, 02:16:58 pm »
As far as costume design for the Black Panther is concerned, I think Marvel is going in the right direction with this.

It's texture and patterning gives it a nuance that lends itself to a kind of vibranium effect I would like to see in a live action film. This would be the very definition of vibranium micro weave. Super powered punches, bullets, any kind of blunt force, explosions, falls from great heights can be seen as being absorbed by the suit. Throw in a sophisticated cloaking device and morphing ability and the Black Panther's habit becomes clearly distinguishable from any other super hero's costume, especially Batman's.

No ropes or cables, he can simply run up buildings. The Black Panther can set the precedence since a particular wall crawler is yet to reside in the MCU. He can even walk or run on the surface of water. Sans the utility belt. No hand held communicator. The vibranium necklace, forearm and waist attachments provide the high tech power and means for communication, control of equipment, vehicles and adaptability to multiple environs. Yes, the Black Panther's uniform provides for extended stays under water, frozen wastelands and other hostile environments.

Great reads!  Thanks Ture!

Peace,

Mont

You are more than welcome Kimoyo. Always a pleasure.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more