Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER MOVIES - BP2 Wakanda Forever... Footage Released at CinemaCon  (Read 889317 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Panther Movie!!!
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2015, 04:49:12 am »
So...no one is talking about the talk online about Selma director Ava Duvernay being courted possibly to direct Black Panther?

No director has been chosen???  ???

Uh oh... :-\

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2015, 08:16:24 am »
So...no one is talking about the talk online about Selma director Ava Duvernay being courted possibly to direct Black Panther?

The movie is coming out in 2018, I think there's time. I hope its her, and if not her, Fuqua.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2015, 10:39:08 am »

The movie is coming out in 2018, I think there's time. I hope its her, and if not her, Fuqua.

Thanks for the reply!  :)

Oh, good!  :)

If there's still time to consider a director for the Black Panther movie as you've written,  the best candidate should obviously be Mr. Hudlin.

Who else knows the material better than him?

Who else can connect with the fans better than him?

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2015, 05:13:38 am »

Thanks for the reply!  :)

Oh, good!  :)

If there's still time to consider a director for the Black Panther movie as you've written,  the best candidate should obviously be Mr. Hudlin.

Who else knows the material better than him?

Who else can connect with the fans better than him?

Despite the fact that the man very much has a highly respected career overall not everybody was a fan of his Panther run...plus it's possible that the material could use a fresh new set of eyes.  Also, I don't think anyone asked if people like Joss Whedon or the Russo Brothers knew the material or could connect with fans better...and look at the results they got.  Though I do think it would be good for Mr. Hudlin to be a consultant.

Ava Duvernay could be a great out of the box choice like the Russo Brothers were for Cap 2...plus she's connecting with a larger black and non black audience these days after Selma...an audience that might not go see the movie otherwise...meaning she could bring more viewers in.

Anyway, its not definite...rumors are they are courting her for either BP or Captain Marvel.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:53:42 am by A.Curry »

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2015, 07:25:10 am »
It is almost a waste of time because lets say she is selected, anything can happen between now and the next 3 years.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2015, 09:46:16 am »
Also, I don't think anyone asked if people like Joss Whedon or the Russo Brothers knew the material or could connect with fans better...and look at the results they got.

Joss Whedon is a well-established comicbook writer, movie & television director which I believe speak for itself regarding understanding the material and connecting with fans.

I don't know anything about the Russo Bros.

I'd rather choose a sure thing than take a risk with this kind of material.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:35:49 am by Battle »

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2015, 07:26:01 am »
Also, I don't think anyone asked if people like Joss Whedon or the Russo Brothers knew the material or could connect with fans better...and look at the results they got.

Joss Whedon is a well-established comicbook writer, movie & television director which I believe speak for itself regarding understanding the material and connecting with fans.

I dunno...the Russo bros were my main point...they never directed an action movie before and no one knows if they ever knew anything about the comics...yet they arguably made the best MCU movie yet.   And I'm not sure if anyone, including Mr. Hudlin, would be a "sure" thing.  Again, as with most things, not everyone was a fan of his run on Panther and not every movie he made was stellar, though some were gems.  (This obviously could be said of any director)

Even Joss Whedon failed with Avengers 2, which is getting critically panned and honestly deserves it.

Duvernay isn't a sure thing, but brings fresh new possibilities.  Plus she did do a pretty intense, political and spy type action episode of Scandal that showed some chops for action and drama.  From the controversies before with his Panther run some fans could get turned off from seeing it with Hudlin as director, though I'm sure many others still will go see it.

Like I said, nothing is a sure thing.   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:54:24 am by A.Curry »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2015, 08:38:26 am »
Duvernay isn't a sure thing, but brings fresh new possibilities.  Plus she did do a pretty intense, political and spy type action episode of Scandal that showed some chops for action and drama.  From the controversies before with his Panther run some fans could get turned off from seeing it with Hudlin as director, though I'm sure many others still will go see it.

The momentum that Mr. Hudlin (and previous writers & artists) has maintained for the character should be enough to give moviegoers not overly familiar with Black Panther a solid point of reference. Unless you can provide some evidence (statistical or otherwise) regarding how some fans would react to Mr. Hudlin's name emblazoned on the movie's credits, the point isn't really that uncertain.   

If Ms. Duvernay's research team is skilled, she could possibly pull off a satisfactory Black Panther movie for fans who have been waiting in anticipation for decades,   I'd welcome it but wouldn't be my first choice for director.

In the movie industry game, utilizing the right elements will most certainly yield a sure thing.
How do you think the movie industry became what it is today? ;)

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2015, 09:08:13 am »

The momentum that Mr. Hudlin (and previous writers & artists) has maintained for the character should be enough to give moviegoers not overly familiar with Black Panther a solid point of reference. Unless you can provide some evidence (statistical or otherwise) regarding how some fans would react to Mr. Hudlin's name emblazoned on the movie's credits, the point isn't really that uncertain.   

If Ms. Duvernay's research team is skilled, she could possibly pull off a satisfactory Black Panther movie for fans who have been waiting in anticipation for decades,   I'd welcome it but wouldn't be my first choice for director.

In the movie industry game, utilizing the right elements will most certainly yield a sure thing.
How do you think the movie industry became what it is today? ;)

How do I think the movie industry became what it is today? The question nor answer has nothing to do with the point.  You're talking like the movie industry has never produced a bad or financially failed movie even with the supposed "right" elements in place.  I'm sure you know this isn't true.

And the point is neither my point or yours is certain or uncertain.  Like I said, nothing is a sure thing.  However, evidence isn't needed (nor is the point, but) since it was well documented on this board and others the dislike or hatred (unreasonable though some of it was) by some fans of Mr. Hudlin's Black Panther run.  This dislike could carry over to the same fans possibly not wanting to see it because of that.  I'd probably be less enthusiastic about seeing it myself as I wasn't a fan of it either, though I highly like some of his other works.  And though he's known, it's not like the man is known on the level of say a Joss Whedon, who had a huge name for himself in the mainstream even before Avengers.

Again, not a sure thing.  But again, nothing is.

And momentum that's been maintained for the character by Hudlin and other writers is highly debatable since that momentum has lead to Panther in the comics currently losing the sister Hudlin introduced, along with his kingdom and nation.  It actually seems like they're stripping the character down to re-introduce him in the comics and the MCU, not carry over already established momentum.  His introduction in the third Cap movie will most likely be the point of reference moviegoers not familiar with him will be given, seeing as he's playing a big role in that.  So I think that point is immaterial.

Plus, you seem to be assuming that Ms. Duvernay, by needing a research team and what not, isn't aware of or hasn't actually read comics or Black Panther.  We don't know that.  But I fully understand why she wouldn't be your first choice of director.  Heck, my first choice might be the Russo bros after Cap 2.  But unlike you, Hudlin wouldn't be my first choice, and I probably would want to see Ava's vision before his again. 

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:22:45 am by A.Curry »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2015, 11:47:53 am »
Really, the comic audience, pro or con, for Reggie is probably too small to have any impact on their decision of who is the best choice.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2015, 11:56:36 am »

Again, not a sure thing.  But again, nothing is.

Quite the contrary, A. Curry.  :)

Nothing is a sure thing, I agree, however, one thing is  certain...
--- something is certainly a sure thing.  :)

The Hollywood movie industry has always thrived on:

1. What's popular
2. Word & picture association
3. History
4. Social commentary

That's what makes Hollywood movies work.

Now that I think about, it would benefit Ms. Devernay's portfolio greatly as a filmmaker to have the success of 'Selma' , a movie about a real-life Black superhero who laid the foundation of how to lead & teach determined people how to protest peacefully for a very important cause and then follow-up with a movie about a fictional Black superhero that leads a determined people in Africa.

A Hard Choice in direct contrast with a movie about a former enslaved African exacting revenge on slavers who have abducted his wife.

So, yeah, you may have a point afterall with choosing Ms. Duvernay as a director for the Black Panther movie.

What's important to me as a fan of The Black Panther is that the material is treated with the utmost respect that the creator did when the character first appeared and that is why I nominated Mr. Hudlin because he has demonstrated exactly that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 05:31:16 pm by Battle »

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2015, 02:55:34 pm »

I dunno...the Russo bros were my main point...they never directed an action movie before and no one knows if they ever knew anything about the comics...yet they arguably made the best MCU movie yet.   And I'm not sure if anyone, including Mr. Hudlin, would be a "sure" thing.  Again, as with most things, not everyone was a fan of his run on Panther and not every movie he made was stellar, though some were gems.  (This obviously could be said of any director)

Even Joss Whedon failed with Avengers 2, which is getting critically panned and honestly deserves it.

I really like Avengers 2, brutha. And honestly...Hudlin is hands down theeee BEST choice Marvel could make to helm The Black Panther movie. Far and away thee best. That's exactly why he won't get the nod. Hudlin+Priest would smash all barriers with the illest script if they co-wrote it. They'd probably crush HANCOCK's GOAT box office record for Black superheroes, and definitely beat THE HULK's solo movie.  That's exactly why it won't happen.

Next best would be Fuqua. Because BP=BIG ACTION. Haven't seen Duvernay's grasp of action. Have seen Antoine's. Twon is ill with it. Hudlin with DJANGO [ yeah yeah I know about the whole Tarantino thing ] and Fuqua with almost everything has shown real skills with the big action.

Both Hudlin [ the #1 pick ] and Fuqua have proven that they can and do script potent dialogue, shoot character scenes well, and much more. BP would be firing on all cylinders with Fuqua directing. BP would be transcend dimensions with Hudlin directing. Either director would benefit the more with a talent like Priest scripting.

So. Of course it won't happen.

Until we Redjack our own studio. Hmmm...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2015, 05:24:40 pm »
There is a reason why his name is Supreme!   :)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2015, 10:38:37 pm »
Black Panther's Mission In Captain America: Civil War Revealed

Umberto Gonzalez of Heroic Hollywood  reports that Black Panther  will be "on the hunt" for The Winter Soldier.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Black-Panther-Mission-Captain-America-Civil-War-Revealed-71503.html

As far as rumors go, I would prefer the Black Panther fighting Winter Soldier over this...

... in any case don't get over excited, remember the woman in the cave scene that never happened.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:51:08 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2015, 09:30:16 am »
Black Panther's Mission In Captain America: Civil War Revealed

Umberto Gonzalez of Heroic Hollywood  reports that Black Panther  will be "on the hunt" for The Winter Soldier.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Black-Panther-Mission-Captain-America-Civil-War-Revealed-71503.html

As far as rumors go, I would prefer the Black Panther fighting Winter Soldier over this...

... in any case don't get over excited, remember the woman in the cave scene that never happened.

Spot on post, Brother Ture! I think both your revelation information and the caution regarding getting excited regarding unverified info is dead on. Well done.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw