Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER MCU - WAKANDA FOREVER - Ture's Review  (Read 1085052 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: The Black Panther Movie!!!
« Reply #240 on: November 11, 2015, 12:06:11 pm »
WHY CAN’T MARVEL FIND A DIRECTOR FOR ‘BLACK PANTHER?’

Yesterday rumors started swirling that Creed and Fruitvale Station director Ryan Coogler had passed on helming Marvel’s Black Panther movie. If true, Coogler is the third major African-American director whom the studio has courted for the project — and the third who has turned it down.

Earlier this summer, Selma‘s Ava DuVernay publicly passed on Black Panther. It seemed that she foresaw having similar creative differences with Marvel Studios that Ant-Man‘s original director Edgar Wright did. She explained to the press that Black Panther wouldn’t “be an Ava DuVernay film.”

Then, it was rumored that Marvel sat down with Straight Outta Compton‘s director, F. Gary Gray. Those conversations halted when he chose to sign onto Furious 8. But what’s going on? Why is it so hard for Marvel to lock down a director for one of the most hotly anticipated superhero films in production? After all, whoever directs Black Panther will have the distinct honor of presenting the first major black superhero (in his own movie) to the masses. Shouldn’t that be bait enough?

Yes, and no. Marvel films aren’t successful because of the auteurs behind them; it’s because studio head Kevin Feige and his team have carefully constructed an overarching narrative that runs through all the films. To direct a Marvel film is to bend to the will of the producer. So, for up-and-coming writer-directors like DuVernay and Coogler, it’s not necessarily such a great gig. There might be the opportunity to make a lot of money, but at the cost of sacrificing one’s voice. Again, the Edgar Wright debacle is still fresh in a lot of insiders’ minds and Joss Whedon just about had a meltdown while promoting Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Then there’s the bigger problem: Black Panther is slated for 2018 and still doesn’t have a finished script. Why would a serious director sign on to a film when they have absolutely no blueprint for what Marvel wants it to be? It’s just not practical to sign on to the film this early in the game.

So, who could want to sign on? Despite the fact that Anthony “The Falcon” Mackie recently said that Black Panther doesn’t need a black director —as he put it, “You know, they didn’t get a horse to direct Seabiscuit!”— the buzz is Marvel wants to ensure there’s more racial diversity behind-the-scenes. The good news is that there are dozens upon dozens of talented black directors working in both film and television who could all add something unique to the project. With that in mind, here are five picks that we could see in the mix for Black Panther.

1 Antoine Fuqua

For decades, Antoine Fuqua has distinguished himself as a director who understands the intersection of action and drama. He knows how to stage a fight scene and frame a hero shot. He’d be an almost-too-natural choice to take the reins of a Marvel big budget action flick. The one hiccup? He’s currently tied up working on his adaptation of The Magnificent Seven. Still, that film will be in theaters next year, which means he should be able to film and deliver an incredible Black Panther film by 2018.

2 Gina Prince-Bythewood

Marvel has been criticized for a lack of diversity across the board when it comes to their directors. Patty Jenkins almost directed Thor: The Dark World (much like Ava DuVernay almost directed Black Panther), but they still haven’t found a female voice to shepherd one of their films. We would suggest they look at Gina Prince-Bythewood. Prince-Bythewood is responsible for one of our favorite films of 2014, Beyond the Lights, and has an expert eye for detail and character development. She could bring a different point of view to the Wakandan warrior.

3 Spike Lee

Okay, we know that it’s highly unlikely that such an esteemed auteur like Spike Lee would choose to direct Black Panther when he has the complete and total freedom to pursue his own pet projects. He has nothing to gain from the partnership. They aren’t going to give him a bump in notoriety and there’s next to no way they’d allow one of their flagship films to be labeled “a Spike Lee Joint.” We admit it’s nothing but wishful thinking, but can you just imagine how awesome a Spike Lee Marvel film would be? CAN YOU?!?!?

4 Justin Simien

If there’s one thing we can glean from Marvel’s first three choices for a Black Panther director, it’s that they’re interested in bright young talent. You know, the directors still finding their voice and riding high off of their first few hits. Dear White People writer/director Justin Simien certainly fits into this mold. The only question is: Would he be comfortable directing action? And, like a lot of his peers, would he be cool working within Marvel’s sometimes creatively-stifling system?

5 Paris Barclay

Paris Barclay may not be a household name, but he’s an esteemed member of the Hollywood community. Barclay has won two Emmys (for directing episodes of NYPD Blue) and is the current President of the Directors Guild of America. Now, that post might make it difficult for him to devote energy to a big Marvel project, but he’s found time to work closely with Kurt Sutter on Sons of Anarchy and The Bastard Executioner and to direct episodes of Glee and Manhattan. Barclay is one of the rare directors who is known for being a master of fluidity. He’s done everything from direct music videos to dramedies to musicals to sci-fi fare like Lost. It’s his experience working alongside producers and show runners in television that might make him a great match for Marvel.

full article
http://decider.com/2015/11/11/marvel-black-panther-director-problem/#
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 12, 2015, 09:03:25 am »
Will take a wait and see stance on the lead and all creative staff on this movie.....so far not hyped for it.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2015, 02:58:14 am »
Captain America: Civil War - Trailer World Premiere

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:42:50 am by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2015, 08:28:44 am »
I wonder why people are passing on Black Panther? But I am glad Marvel is trying to get some diversity behind the camera. Other names that I came up with are the Hughes Brothers, Slyvain White, Kevin Hooks, Amma Asante, Charles Burnett, Carl Franklin, Tanya Hamilton, and Bill Duke.

Regarding the trailer, from the close ups I'm not real impressed with BP's actual suit. The concept art was better.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2015, 03:15:39 pm »

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2015, 05:53:38 pm »
I wonder why people are passing on Black Panther? But I am glad Marvel is trying to get some diversity behind the camera. Other names that I came up with are the Hughes Brothers, Slyvain White, Kevin Hooks, Amma Asante, Charles Burnett, Carl Franklin, Tanya Hamilton, and Bill Duke.

Regarding the trailer, from the close ups I'm not real impressed with BP's actual suit. The concept art was better.

Absolutely right. Absolutely right. I have never seen a REGRESSION from concept art to actual movie suit application before.

This question here:

"I wonder why people are passing on Black Panther?"

...worries me a bit. I'm getting an echo of the ominous warning tingling of my Supreme Illuminati Sense...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2015, 06:01:57 pm »
People probably pass on BP movie for the same reason it has been so hard to get a Wonder Woman movie made. (It has taken them over 20 or 30 years to get to this point.) It is more important than just a movie, and everyone knows that.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 26, 2015, 05:26:39 am »
Granted there will be a lot of pressure and expectation for a Black Panther film as for Wonder Woman and to some extent Captain Marvel too, in large part due to the ground breaking nature of each of those films. Though I have to say that there was also pressure or expectation issues-or lack thereof-for films like Ant-Man and maybe Guardians of the Galaxy, just different due to the nature and the casting, but still some pressures. I don't think it's quite that though that's keeping people from the director's chair. I just wonder if there's a straitjacket approach Marvel has toward their films that is keeping some people away. Maybe there isn't enough flexibility creatively for the director's to do their own thing, to put their stamp on it. In a previous piece the Selma director pretty much says so. It's a shame that Coogler passed on it. He does a great job in depicting black male characters-strengths, vulnerabilities, aspirations, all that. His take on Panther would've been interesting.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 26, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
Granted there will be a lot of pressure and expectation for a Black Panther film as for Wonder Woman and to some extent Captain Marvel too, in large part due to the ground breaking nature of each of those films. Though I have to say that there was also pressure or expectation issues-or lack thereof-for films like Ant-Man and maybe Guardians of the Galaxy, just different due to the nature and the casting, but still some pressures. I don't think it's quite that though that's keeping people from the director's chair. I just wonder if there's a straitjacket approach Marvel has toward their films that is keeping some people away. Maybe there isn't enough flexibility creatively for the director's to do their own thing, to put their stamp on it. In a previous piece the Selma director pretty much says so. It's a shame that Coogler passed on it. He does a great job in depicting black male characters-strengths, vulnerabilities, aspirations, all that. His take on Panther would've been interesting.

REading your comment was the first I heard about Coogler passing on BP. Turns out that none of the rumors had fact and/or heft behind them. The rumor that he was offered the BP chair is just that...a rumor. Nothing more. Ask the man himself:

http://screenrant.com/black-panther-marvel-movie-director-ryan-coogler/

We are on the site of the man who would by far bring the best BP. That's Reginald Hudlin. He'd write AND direct that film. We'd get the hardest hardcore BP there ever was, and we'd bust gasms watching it. It'd be a massive financial if not critical success, too. RH would set ANOTHER BP record [ he sold the most ever single issues of BP with BP#1, he sold the most ever consecutive issues of BP as a solo book, he propelled BP to acknowledged A-List status and inclusion in all MCU Events, he authored the MOTC, RH is basically several levels above being "da shiznit" ].

Which is why they're running like gazelles from a cheetah away from him.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:16:52 am by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 26, 2015, 11:28:54 am »

On a different note? This is the first time that I saw Will Smith going on record regarding why he didn't do Django Unchained. In fact, I didn't even know he was offered the role.

http://www.slashfilm.com/will-smith-in-django-unchained/

I read and respect Will's reasons for declining the role, but I disagree in key points. I do think that Django should have killed Calvin Candie AND Samuel L's sell out butt of a character [ SamYell did a GREAT job of depicting him ], but I could live with Django's White Doctor friend killing Candie. Plus? The what he said after killing Candie was hella funny.

But. For real. We needed some at least: " THIS IS SPARTA!!" level butt kickin, violence, etc along with the in-story explanation of understanding of and complete support for Django's action, and we mostly got it. Django needed to destroy Candie Land and all the key personnel in it--Calvin Candie's family and key staff members. Why? Because Candie's family would keep bringing misery to Black people and even some Whites if allowed to go unchecked.

Jamie Foxx KILT that role, though, so I'm glad Foxx got a chance to do Django.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 26, 2015, 04:07:42 pm »
I respect Will's views, not so much the pie in the sky love is the answer to his second point, but to the first about the lead. I get that. Dr. Schultz was a white savior kind of figure. Django had some agency, but not full agency. Fair enough this is an antebellum story about a black man so the idea of him not having full agency makes sense historically, but this was also a revenge fantasy story with historic trappings, more so than a documentary.

And perhaps its that reluctance to let a black man take vengeance against a white man, whereas it's okay for him to unload on another black man, that might have been at play here. While Stephen was perhaps the 'brains' of the operation, Candie could've pulled his card whenever he wanted. Stephen was manipulating him, but that could've changed quickly. And then where would Stephen have been, so the idea that Stephen was the main villain, I think is a bit tenuous.

I do like Smith's idea of a black love story. It's something we've never quite had in cinema-mainstream cinema at least, a great black historical romance drama kind of film. Not sure if Django is the right kind of film you want to make a love story out of, though there could've been more done with Django and Broomhilda's relationship within that film.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2015, 03:56:31 pm »
Somebody else who thinks Keith David should play T'Chaka:

http://www.geekchicelite.com/black-panther-fan-cast-the-actors-wakanda-deserves/

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2015, 05:54:14 pm »
I respect Will's views, not so much the pie in the sky love is the answer to his second point, but to the first about the lead. I get that. Dr. Schultz was a white savior kind of figure. Django had some agency, but not full agency. Fair enough this is an antebellum story about a black man so the idea of him not having full agency makes sense historically, but this was also a revenge fantasy story with historic trappings, more so than a documentary.

And perhaps its that reluctance to let a black man take vengeance against a white man, whereas it's okay for him to unload on another black man, that might have been at play here. While Stephen was perhaps the 'brains' of the operation, Candie could've pulled his card whenever he wanted. Stephen was manipulating him, but that could've changed quickly. And then where would Stephen have been, so the idea that Stephen was the main villain, I think is a bit tenuous.

I do like Smith's idea of a black love story. It's something we've never quite had in cinema-mainstream cinema at least, a great black historical romance drama kind of film. Not sure if Django is the right kind of film you want to make a love story out of, though there could've been more done with Django and Broomhilda's relationship within that film.

I agree with most of the above...and I rebuke the name "Broomhilda". Oh, hell no.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2015, 08:39:23 am »
I wont be surprised it has something to do with the "direction" Marvel wants to do with him. 

It is wonder why Ava stated it won't be "her" film.

After watching Creed they should at least chat with him.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2015, 04:12:58 pm »
I wont be surprised it has something to do with the "direction" Marvel wants to do with him. 

It is wonder why Ava stated it won't be "her" film.

After watching Creed they should at least chat with him.

Agreed. They should at least "chat" with him. However. Whatever decision-making process won't even let them converse with RH about BP? It's very suspect. RH is THEE director for BP. It's a NO BRAINER. Really.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC: