Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA Live Action or Animated - Count Down to BP2  (Read 395587 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: The Black Panther Movie!!!
« Reply #390 on: July 25, 2016, 09:39:35 pm »
Chadwick Boseman Explains Why the Black Panther Is Not the Magical Negro of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Evan Narcisse

Chadwick Boseman thought he already had a sense of how significant the Black Panther is to the fans who love him. But it wasn’t until Saturday afternoon, while he was on stage at the Marvel Studios panel at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, that he got hit with the full weight of the love and enthusiasm surrounding T’Challa. Those same fans are trying to help Boseman embody the role in the best way possible.

Before I sat down across from Chadwick Boseman this past Sunday afternoon, the mandate was made clear that this was an opportunity to talk about Captain America: Civil War (which comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray September 13), not tease out details of the yet-to-film Black Panther movie. That was okay, though, because I really wanted to ask him about the character and his continuing approach to Marvel’s first black superhero. In the conversation that follows, Boseman talks about how T’Challa’s popularity across the decades has catalyzed an energetic crowdsourcing.

io9: When did it first hit you how much this character meant to the fans?

Chadwick Boseman: Yesterday! Obviously, I know how important it is, particularly for people of African descent. In terms of seeing everybody’s response to it, all types of people have responded to me since Civil War came out. I’ll go certain places and they’ll come up to me and talk about the movie. But this is the first place where I’ve seen them all together—black people, Asian people, Latino people, middle-aged people, young people, old people… It’s something to see all in one spot. So, I’d definitely say yesterday was the first time it just hit me.

One of the things that makes the Panther different from other superheroes is that he’s the political and spiritual leader of an advanced, isolationist nation. How’d you go about getting into that kind of mindset?

Boseman: There are a lot of different things to pull from. You can look to all these different civilizations that existed in Africa. The Egyptians. The Mali, who are believed to have been a satellite nation of ancient Kemet. The Zulu. You can go so many different places. It could be Ethiopia, which went a long time without being conquered as well. So, just pulling from all those things and finding an attachment and a pride to them and then being very specific and doing my own DNA test and finding where I come from, what my ancestry is. Once you have the role, people want to give you things. People will reach out and say “hey, I want to train you” or “hey, I want you to meet this babalao who wants to read you.” I’m being approached with all types of things that have been helpful to the process.

That’s beautiful to hear, that people are just feeding stuff to you. What’s your favorite aspect of T’Challa from the comics?

Boseman: The thing that I like the most is him being challenged, taking criticism and finding a way to keep his focus and intent intact despite those criticisms. That’s what world leaders have to do. If you waver too much, if you give things away… sometimes you do have to give things away. You might give away something that you intended to give away to make it seem like you’re being accommodating. I think it’s that strategy and strength that I like. It’s not necessarily his physical attributes or anything like that. It’s his mind and being able to maneuver as a leader.

He’s a king so he doesn’t necessarily have to take feedback at all so that’s a good observation. What do you think prevents T’Challa from being a Magical Negro in Civil War? Part of the formula is there: he’s an otherworldly character who could be fixing these white folks’ problems [Boseman laughs].

Boseman: Well, he’s there for his own purpose. He’s not there… usually what happens is “well, he did this in this scene and now he’s doing [something else contradictory] and that doesn’t even fit the character.” That’s the Magical Negro thing. But, I think we were very cognizant about making a character that had his own through-line, his own intent and he wasn’t going to waver for anybody else’s story. Anytime that I felt like that was about to happen, I’d be like ‘nah, this is what he wants. You can do whatever you wanna do but this is what I feel like he needs to be doing.’ I feel like that’s the key. Sometimes… I won’t say more than that. I could go into the Magical Negro and talk about that forever but…. [laughs loudly]

I’m not gonna stop you!

Boseman: Nah, I think the main thing is just keeping it very clear that he has his own arc and his own things that he wants and desires. He only changes that when something strikes a chord at his core. It strikes a chord at what I think is his lineage and heritage and what he’s been taught, at what he’s been groomed to be. He can’t make that shift at the end of the movie unless he’s been groomed to make that shift already. And even though we don’t see that grooming, that’s actually the first glimpse into Wakanda before you see that tag at the very end.

Okay, I have a weird ask and you can turn it down if you want. I have two favorite lines of dialogue from the comics…

Boseman: Noooo, I’m not going to say them in the accent! [laughs loudly] I promised myself I wouldn’t do that.

I have a follow-up, then! Do you have a favorite moment from any of the material that you’ve read so far?

Boseman: Hmmm, wow. Let me think, because there’s a lot of different stuff. One of the moments was when he traps into his ancestral realm and all of the ancestors are standing around and they’re panthers…

So I have to stop you because one of the lines I was going to have you read was from that same exact scene. [turns laptop to show screen]

Boseman: I love that moment, mainly because before I’d even read that series—I’d read the Reginald Hudlin versions and the Kirby series…

Damn, you read the Kirby? I’m a lifelong Black Panther fan but that is some hard reading in 2016.

Boseman: Well, you have to read it, right? There was a book that had all of them collected. But that specific image of those panther ancestors came to me before ever seeing it. So, when I saw it in the book, I was like “Oh, wow.” I didn’t have the role yet but that image already manifested in my head.

It taps into something primal, particularly for black folks. It’s ironic how the creation of two white dudes taps into a collective desire of what we want our ancestry and our present to look like.

Boseman: I think that’s the reason that people react so strongly to the character.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/chadwick-boseman-explains-why-the-black-panther-is-not-1784265557
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 26, 2016, 04:58:49 am »
klaw makes 100% sense if there is gonna be a team ups. Killmonger + M'baku or Achebe doesn't make sense.

Zemo is a wild card but I 100% doubt that.

You don't hire serkis for 5 minutes in AoU

CIA is obviously going to be Ross. I bet 'use' is a more apt description than "help" honestly.

Agreed!  T'Challa would "use" the CIA rather than elicit their help. 

Achebe, Hunter and QDJ?  CJP's influence is indisputable!  Please Coogler, don't have a child save T'Challa from Killmonger!!!  We want a BP delivered beatdown!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #392 on: August 02, 2016, 07:47:11 pm »
The Black Panther Director Knows Wakanda Needs to Be ...

We know Marvel’s Black Panther movie has a great star. We know the filmmaker is capable and his supporting cast is, frankly, one of best Marvel movies’ finest. What we don’t really know, however, is what the film is going to look or feel like.

At San Diego Comic-Con, we spoke to Ryan Coogler, the director of Black Panther, to find out a bit about his vision for Wakanda. He admitted it was still something they’re working on.

That’s a hard question to answer man because we’re still trying to figure that out,” Coogler told io9. “What I will say is obviously Wakanda has to be impressive and it has to be unique and that’s one of the things we’re looking at right now. That’s one of the things we’re working with my production designer, Hannah Beachler, to try to find. Trying to find out what Wakanda is, what Wakanda looks like and how that relates to the relationship with the other technologically advanced cities that we’ve seen before in film. We’ve seen a lot of those recently. So that’s one of the biggest challenges right there.”

Germain Lussier

full article
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-black-panther-director-knows-wakanda-needs-to-be-im-1784722919

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #393 on: August 02, 2016, 07:54:20 pm »
Ta-Nehisi Coates Will Not Be Involved in 'Black Panther' Film

"Coogler's a genius. (Did you see 'Creed'?) I would only eff his isht up," the author and journalist tweeted during a Twitter Q&A on July 30.

Sameer Rao AUG 1, 2016 1:09PM EDT

full article
https://www.colorlines.com/articles/ta-nehisi-coates-will-not-be-involved-black-panther-film

He said it...

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #394 on: August 03, 2016, 05:01:10 am »
he re-iterated it like 10x during this Facebook Q and A thing

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #395 on: August 03, 2016, 07:23:23 am »
Ta-Nehisi Coates Will Not Be Involved in 'Black Panther' Film

"Coogler's a genius. (Did you see 'Creed'?) I would only eff his isht up," the author and journalist tweeted during a Twitter Q&A on July 30.

Sameer Rao AUG 1, 2016 1:09PM EDT

full article
https://www.colorlines.com/articles/ta-nehisi-coates-will-not-be-involved-black-panther-film

He said it...

yes, pleeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaseee stay faaaaaaar away from the movie Mr. Coates, and I hope Coogler does not make Panther the movie that introduces homosexual characters to the MCU. I don't want to see those beautiful black actresses playing lesbians. Angela Bassett doing the gay thing in American Horror Story and Viola Davis in Get Away With Murder is enough. Hopefully Coogler has not gotten influenced by Hollyweird yet. As far as Coates, been doing some research on him and he's wack http://blackagendareport.com/tncoates-reparations-bernie-not-hillary
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #396 on: August 03, 2016, 07:28:35 am »
So I watched Civil war again with my wife and when T'Challa first showed up in his Microweave my wife leans over and asks "is that Black Panther?" I say yes then she smiles lol she may become a fan. Also when he unmasked himself after the Chase (rewatching that and noticed hebdidbt make a sound made it more badass especially in XD) people audibly gasp when they saw T'Challa. People gasped and whooted alittle when T'Challa would do cool stuff like his line to clint and him powering through widows stingers and people cheered at the mid credit scene one person throwing out thats badass... Yea Panther going big for sure Mutha fuuuuuq bendis speak

what's the deal with Bendis? What I miss?

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #397 on: August 03, 2016, 07:31:00 am »

I also like TChalla's mentioning of Bast Sekhmet. Illness. It's historically correct, too.

??? I missed that part

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #398 on: August 03, 2016, 07:35:29 am »

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #399 on: August 03, 2016, 07:42:52 am »
I'll be honest. Even though Ms Nyong'o is nice but it is almost as if she is the "go to" black actress, even though her resume is light in comparison to more established black women as actresses around her age range.

Each and every film she is "linked" too, always become some form of a minor supporting role where you barely would notice her.

I would rather have Nicole Beharie as Monica Lynne since she already has experience in playing next to Boseman. No to Nyong'o as Shuri. I just don't see her presence or range to be a character such as Shuri.

Nicole Beharie is the biz and I would love to see Monica Lynne in the movie but we know that's pretty much not going to happen

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #400 on: August 03, 2016, 07:57:44 am »
So I watched Civil war again with my wife and when T'Challa first showed up in his Microweave my wife leans over and asks "is that Black Panther?" I say yes then she smiles lol she may become a fan. Also when he unmasked himself after the Chase (rewatching that and noticed hebdidbt make a sound made it more badass especially in XD) people audibly gasp when they saw T'Challa. People gasped and whooted alittle when T'Challa would do cool stuff like his line to clint and him powering through widows stingers and people cheered at the mid credit scene one person throwing out thats badass... Yea Panther going big for sure Mutha fuuuuuq bendis speak

what's the deal with Bendis? What I miss?

Nothing really. T'challa made a bad Bendis-speak joke in CWII #0 or 1, can't remember.

Honestly, Bendis has pretty much left T'challa alone

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #401 on: August 03, 2016, 08:50:55 am »
there gonna have to use camera tricks to make MJB appear as imposing as Boseman dude to Boseman's height

wonder if Killmonger will dawn the armor in Hudlin's run?

Or maybe full on lady service and have them fight shirtless tribal stuff lol.

I hope they play the really really slow game with Nakia. I hope she "dies" or "sacrifices" herself to save T'challa near the end (explosionof some sort?) but T'challa and company can't find the body and presume her dead. But, her body is found by Achebe and she feels betrayed by her King and becomes Malice.

Think BP 1 should focus on Klaw (assuming hes gonna help) and Killmonger.

I was saying in another thread how MBJ didn't make sense playing a mountain of a man in Kilmonger. Somone responded with have I seen MBJ in Creed which was lightweight status at best, Kilmonger clearly a heavyweight

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #402 on: August 03, 2016, 08:54:50 am »
BLACK PANTHER Co-Star Reveals First Plot Synopsis
by Chris Arrant, EditorDate: 25 July 2016

Marvel Studios confirmed several key Black Panther cast-members and their roles at Comic-Con International: San Diego on Saturday, and one of those actors revealed even more - the movie's plot - in a backstage interview. Lupita N'yongo, who is confirmed to play a member of the Dora Milaje named Nakia, outlined the central thrust of the 2018 film in surprising detail.

"I can say more than I could about Star Wars," the actress said when asked about her role in the movie. "I play Nakia, who is part of the Dora Milake - whom I presume you know is a special forces group from Wakanda. The story of this Black Panther - what I am allowed to say - is that Black Panther's leadership has been threatened by two foes who come together, and so Black Panther gets the help of the C.I.A. and the Dora Milaje to try and defeat the enemy."

"That's more than I thought we'd learn," said the Marvel.com interviewer.

"I know. Someone's going to fire me shortly," she replied. "I have to shut up now."

Nyong'o didn't specify the identities of the "two foes," but Michael B. Jordan was confirmed Saturday as playing traditional Black Panther foe Erik Killmonger, who star Chadwick Boseman outright confirmed as one of the film's two villains earlier in the same video. 

The leading contender for a second villain would likeky be Andy Serkis' Ulysses Klaue, who appeared in Avengers: Age of Ultron with a stolen cache of vibranium from Wakanda and who like his comic book counterpart, lost his hand in that film. Klaw of course is considered the comic book arch-villain of Black Panther.

You can watch the interview as it appears in this Marvel.com video around the 1:56:19 mark.

http://youtu.be/HEbTZSjHXx8

Black Panther is scheduled to open in theaters February 16, 2018.

http://www.newsarama.com/30378-black-panther-co-star-reveals-first-plot-synopsis.html

Of course, the CIA which introduced crack to the hood is going to come in and save the day for Wakanda, smh. I'm pretty sure Kilmonger will be a friend of T'challa that commits treason allowing Klaw to get a one up on T'challa in which he will have no choice need outside help and Kilmonger learns the errors of his ways too late before being double crossed by Klaw as well.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 03, 2016, 09:40:03 am »
BLACK PANTHER Co-Star Reveals First Plot Synopsis
by Chris Arrant, EditorDate: 25 July 2016

Marvel Studios confirmed several key Black Panther cast-members and their roles at Comic-Con International: San Diego on Saturday, and one of those actors revealed even more - the movie's plot - in a backstage interview. Lupita N'yongo, who is confirmed to play a member of the Dora Milaje named Nakia, outlined the central thrust of the 2018 film in surprising detail.

"I can say more than I could about Star Wars," the actress said when asked about her role in the movie. "I play Nakia, who is part of the Dora Milake - whom I presume you know is a special forces group from Wakanda. The story of this Black Panther - what I am allowed to say - is that Black Panther's leadership has been threatened by two foes who come together, and so Black Panther gets the help of the C.I.A. and the Dora Milaje to try and defeat the enemy."

"That's more than I thought we'd learn," said the Marvel.com interviewer.

"I know. Someone's going to fire me shortly," she replied. "I have to shut up now."

Nyong'o didn't specify the identities of the "two foes," but Michael B. Jordan was confirmed Saturday as playing traditional Black Panther foe Erik Killmonger, who star Chadwick Boseman outright confirmed as one of the film's two villains earlier in the same video. 

The leading contender for a second villain would likeky be Andy Serkis' Ulysses Klaue, who appeared in Avengers: Age of Ultron with a stolen cache of vibranium from Wakanda and who like his comic book counterpart, lost his hand in that film. Klaw of course is considered the comic book arch-villain of Black Panther.

You can watch the interview as it appears in this Marvel.com video around the 1:56:19 mark.

http://youtu.be/HEbTZSjHXx8

Black Panther is scheduled to open in theaters February 16, 2018.

http://www.newsarama.com/30378-black-panther-co-star-reveals-first-plot-synopsis.html

Of course, the CIA which introduced crack to the hood is going to come in and save the day for Wakanda, smh. I'm pretty sure Kilmonger will be a friend of T'challa that commits treason allowing Klaw to get a one up on T'challa in which he will have no choice need outside help and Kilmonger learns the errors of his ways too late before being double crossed by Klaw as well.

The CIA help is likely Everett Ross, He isn't really going to be much help, probably the equivalence of Priest's Ross. I wouldn't be too worried, given the interviews Coogler really want to get this right and show why Wakanda is such a badass place to be and why it can stand on its own

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #404 on: August 03, 2016, 09:43:38 am »
Coogler ain't gonna chump. I just can't see it happening.

There is a reason Feige talked to the people he did. Ava, Gray, Coogler. None of them are gonna chump. Feige knows he can't do that, the backlash would be incredible.