Author Topic: back and forth  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
back and forth
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:48:38 am »
Hello darkness my old friend
I’ve come to talk with you again
-Simon & Garfunkel (Paul Simon; writer)

The above are lyrics to the beginning of one of the most popular songs of the 20th century by one of the most popular duos in the history of recorded music.
They are also at the advent of a song that was part of an abject failure the result of which was the break-up of what was to be one of the most popular duos in the history of recorded music.

Same song.

Simon & Garfunkel recorded those words in 1964 for their debut album, Wednesday Morning, 3AM. The LP failed and the above lyrics literally became a joke on the burgeoning folk music circuit. The pair were one and done: they decided to not record another record. Simon moved to London to record solo and Garfunkel stayed stateside.

Almost a year later, Tom Wilson, a young African-American record producer (who had produced the original S&G album and had previously worked with Bob Dylan) got an idea to take the original acoustic track and overdub electric instruments. It was the right sound for the right time matched with brilliant lyrics for all time.
Oh, and Simon nor Garfunkel were never consulted about the remix (since they had broken up) and both found out (separately) that it was a reality…after the single was making moves on the charts.

That song became Simon & Garfunkel’s first #1 record. They, of course, reunited, scored many more hits, won 10 Grammys and are revered worldwide. And without Simon & Garfunkel, you don’t get Paul Simon’s solo Graceland. I don’t really even want to think of a world like that….

What’s the greatness that you’ve already created that needs just a tweak? There’s brilliance already occurred waiting to be shown or seen from another perspective. Heck, if Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel were ready to call it quits prior to reaching their potential, what hope is there for the rest of us? All of it. All of the hope. There may be no do overs….but the chasm between do over and do differently can be small…with large, life changing results.

I realize there are many of my friends receiving  this that are fully realizing their awesomeness. To them I say both “congratulations” and “Are you suuuuure?” :)

Clocks go BACK tonight one hour (2AM becomes 1AM) so in the days to come, you’ll be talking with darkness a lil’ earlier than you had in days past.
And in the extra hour tonight, perhaps reflect on what you might have discarded to be discovered. There may be plenty for you to hear in your own sound of silence.

sgh

PS: how prescient-this song predicted the future…”people talking without speaking”. Hello social media.

Tom Wilson- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wilson_(record_producer)
Sound of Silence (original)- The Sound of Silence (Original Version from 1964)
Sound of Silence (remix/hit)- Simon & Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence (Audio)