Author Topic: Luke Cage Series  (Read 11874 times)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Luke Cage Series
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 03:28:11 pm »
I hope this give a great opportunity for this upcoming actor to flesh out.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 09:47:01 pm »
Simone Missick Joins Marvel's LUKE CAGE In Lead Female Role As 'Misty Knight'
Earlier today, Luke Cage got a villain and Daredevil alum, and now the upcoming Marvel and Netflix series has cast Simone Missick as Misty Knight, the former NYPD officer who is gifted a new bionic arm by Tony Stark. Will that be the case in the series too? Read on for details...

According to Deadline, Simone Missick has been cast as Misty Knight in Luke Cage. Whole Marvel has done their best to keep the role a secret (the casting breakdown lists her as "Missy", a woman with a strong sense of justice), the trade reveals that she is indeed playing this well-known comic book character. This makes sense too, especially as Misty is Iron Fist's love interest in the comics. Introducing her here sets the stage for her to later show up in that series if that's the direction they choose to go in.

The site describes her as "a former NYPD officer who gets a new bionic arm by Tony Stark after losing her in the line of duty. She eventually launches a detective agency, helping Cage (Colter)." However, it's not actually made clear if that's just a summurisation of the comic book version of Misty Knight or what we should expect in Luke Cage. Either way, this is a pretty exciting addition to the Netflix series, don't you think? As always, be sure to let us know your thoughts on this news below.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 04:20:25 am »
She is a fine looking woman damn
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 01:12:05 pm »

Alfre Woodard Joins 'Marvel's Luke Cage' For Netflix

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/tv/25100/alfre_woodard_joins_marvels_luke_cage_for_netflix#ixzz3lvz06JVh

What a classy, beautiful addition!  Marvel is beasting!

Peace,

Mont

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 05:43:08 am »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=125345

He is looking kinda swole.

BTW another established actor of color is getting some work

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:16:01 am by BmoreAkuma »

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 06:04:13 pm »
Liking the way it's looking.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 09:08:59 am »

Alfre Woodard Joins 'Marvel's Luke Cage' For Netflix

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/tv/25100/alfre_woodard_joins_marvels_luke_cage_for_netflix#ixzz3lvz06JVh

What a classy, beautiful addition!  Marvel is beasting!

Peace,

Mont
She will be a politician named Mariah Dillard whom is supposed to be related to Cottonmouth. So you already know she has to deal with her relative causing problems and Luke Cage cleaning up the mess in Harlem. Word on the street is that the show will be the MCU version of The Wire.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 07:20:13 am »

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 06:22:18 am »
http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/luke-cage-will-marvel-strike-netflix-gold-again.html/?a=viewall

Well, the results are in: Marvel’s struck Netflix gold once again with Jessica Jones, delivering yet another stellar superhero series. Things kicked off earlier this year with Daredevil, as we got our first look at the studio’s ambitious plans for its shared universe on the streaming service. Instead of simply another arm of the Avengers storyline though, what we got was something entirely more profound.

Daredevil gave us an insightful commentary on the nature of good and evil, reviving a hero that many thought could never grace our screens again following the 2003 movie disaster. Not to be outdone, Jessica Jones told the all too real story of how our society looks at victims of abuse. Numbering themselves as two of the best new shows of 2015, they still represent the tip of the iceberg in terms of Marvel’s Netflix universe. Still to come in 2016, Luke Cage is next in line, starring Mike Coulter as our titular hero. With both of the show’s predecessors dealing in some fairly heavy thematic material, the question now is what direction will Luke Cage take us in next?

The answer to this could be rooted in the comic book history for the character. Luke Cage first appeared in 1972, as part of the Blaxpoitation movement taking over the entertainment industry in the early ’70s. Since then, the character has seen something of a spotted history, having consistently existed right on the fringe of cancellation. With roots in a film movement the NAACP actively opposed in its latter years, Netflix’s Luke Cage has the chance to round out Marvel’s streaming world with a nuanced commentary on race. With Jessica Jones having already tackled gender equality and abuse, Luke Cage‘s place in the Netflix canon as well as its Blaxpoitation history make it eminently qualified to take the next logical step thematically.

It’s hard to ignore the fact that when Luke Cage debuts in 2016, it’ll be the first superhero TV show of the modern era led by a black actor. That being said, defining the character primarily by his race would only double down on the problems with the original character in the early ’70s. Jessica Jones showed us that Cage could exist not simply as “the black superhero in the Marvel Netflix canon,” but more significantly as “a superhero that also happens to be black.”

In terms of the origin story, there’s plenty of material to form an interesting story. Cage spent his formative years in and out of prison, volunteering for a genetic enhancement experiment as a sort of “nothing left to lose” move. The experiment gifted him with invulnerability and super-strength, leading him to a life a crime-fighting alongside his close friend, Danny Rand (better known as Iron Fist). Together, Rand and Cage started “Hero for Hire,” saving anyone in need with deep enough pockets to meet their prices.

The Hero for Hire narrative alone is enough to carry a story. What would be the consequences of super-powered beings hiring out their services for money, rather than the Avengers’ decidedly more selfless approach? How will that tie in the with noir aspects of Jessica Jones, as well as the rigid morality of Daredevil? Hell, all this is without even acknowledging the fact that Luke and Jessica Jones have a child together in the comic books. These are all questions that Luke Cage could potentially answer as Marvel continues to round out its Netflix universe. The studio has already shown us two of its best properties ever made thanks to the streaming platform, and with the bar set at astronomical levels, we have high hopes for Luke Cage next year.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 01:10:00 pm »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/17/marvels-luke-cage-wont-feel-like-a-sequel-to-jessica-jones?abthid=569be265686e6bd37b000007

Bmore,

I'm not sure what you define as the modern era, but Kirk "Sticky Fingaz" Jones headlined the short-lived Blade series back in 2006. So in a way Blade led the black hero wave in films and on the small screen.

But that being said I would like to see some exploration of race and ongoing issues of blacks and the criminal justice system in the Luke Cage show. It seems to me like the character's backstory is ripe to explore those issues. I doubt they will, or do it much, though, or they'll keep it contained, with Luke fighting against black villains and perhaps more focused on 'black on black' violence, without connecting it to anything larger. And if they hint at that it will probably be some overtly racist cop, developer, or city official.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 07:22:53 am »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/17/marvels-luke-cage-wont-feel-like-a-sequel-to-jessica-jones?abthid=569be265686e6bd37b000007

Bmore,

I'm not sure what you define as the modern era, but Kirk "Sticky Fingaz" Jones headlined the short-lived Blade series back in 2006. So in a way Blade led the black hero wave in films and on the small screen.

But that being said I would like to see some exploration of race and ongoing issues of blacks and the criminal justice system in the Luke Cage show. It seems to me like the character's backstory is ripe to explore those issues. I doubt they will, or do it much, though, or they'll keep it contained, with Luke fighting against black villains and perhaps more focused on 'black on black' violence, without connecting it to anything larger. And if they hint at that it will probably be some overtly racist cop, developer, or city official.
I was just copying and pasting the article

As for the systematic issues, I hope the series addresses it as well.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 01:11:15 pm »

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2016, 02:43:25 pm »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 09:54:20 am »
I don't know if Luke's father is a character in the show yet, but I'd like to see Carl Weathers play him.  The filmmakers can even hint at his past with the "Mighty Defenders". 8)

http://worldofblackheroes.com/2014/07/09/james-lucas/
Be Kind to Someone Today.