Author Topic: Stephen Hawking's 5 Most Mind-Blowing Quotes  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Stephen Hawking's 5 Most Mind-Blowing Quotes
« on: November 23, 2014, 10:25:57 am »
4:00 PM PST 11/22/2014 by Aaron Couch

The physicist explains how aliens might kill us all, why we must leave Earth and more terrifying tidbits

When one of the smartest people on the planet says something, it probably pays to listen.

Stephen Hawking, the physics icon and subject of the new biopic The Theory of Everything, has said a lot over the years in lectures and books. And some of them are, frankly, terrifying.

Here are five of his wildest quotes that just might change the way you view the world.

1. Hawking really doesn't want us to meet aliens, because they'd probably destroy us.

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach," Hawking said in a 2011 Discovery Channel special. "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans." 

2. Hawking really wants us to colonize other planets, because otherwise humanity will eventually be doomed.

"Sooner or later disasters such as an asteroid collision or a nuclear war could wipe us all out," Hawking said in 2006. "But once we spread out into space and establish independent colonies, our future should be safe."  We wonder what Hawking thinks of the plot of Interstellar.

See more Making 'The The Theory of Everything'

3. Time travel is possible, but …

"Time travel used to be thought of as science fiction, but Einstein's theory of general relativity allows the possibility that we could warp space time so much that you could fly off in a rocket and return before you set out," Hawking told Larry King in 2010. "Unfortunately, it is likely that the warping would destroy the spaceship and maybe the space time, itself."

4. We need to start genetically enhancing humans so that A.I. doesn't take over.

"With genetic engineering, we will be able to increase the complexity of our DNA, and improve the human race. But it will be a slow process, because one will have to wait about 18 years to see the effect of changes to the genetic code," Hawking said in 2001. "By contrast, computers double their speed and memories every 18 months. There is a real danger that computers will develop intelligence and take over. We urgently need to develop direct connections to the brain so that computers can add to human intelligence rather than be in opposition."

5. Computer viruses should count as life

"I think computer viruses should count as life," Hawking said in 1994. "I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Hawking's 5 Most Mind-Blowing Quotes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:17:40 pm »

4. We need to start genetically enhancing humans so that A.I. doesn't take over.

"With genetic engineering, we will be able to increase the complexity of our DNA, and improve the human race. But it will be a slow process, because one will have to wait about 18 years to see the effect of changes to the genetic code," Hawking said in 2001. "By contrast, computers double their speed and memories every 18 months. There is a real danger that computers will develop intelligence and take over. We urgently need to develop direct connections to the brain so that computers can add to human intelligence rather than be in opposition."

Disagree.

I've yet to experience A.I. that can become sentient no matter how large or sophisticated the computing capacity is... or for whatever job it is tasked to do.  All known A.I. is a signature of its programmer.
The fear of A.I. becoming sentient is fantasy, is irrational and unrealistic but it does make for exciting storytelling in books, movies, television shows and video games.

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 04:39:10 pm »

Working on this one ...
Dr. Walter Greason
School of Education
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:45:52 am »

Disagree.

I've yet to experience A.I. that can become sentient no matter how large or sophisticated the computing capacity is... or for whatever job it is tasked to do.  All known A.I. is a signature of its programmer.
The fear of A.I. becoming sentient is fantasy, is irrational and unrealistic but it does make for exciting storytelling in books, movies, television shows and video games.

Agreed that we haven't yet seen anything remotely approaching artificial sentience. However, keep in mind that the biggest leap in exponential processes is the last one. Already we build systems that are difficult if not impossible to comprehend without tools. One breakthrough to watch for is when we build systems that build systems which is arguably underway. One way to think about risk is to consider the likelihood of a thing occurring and the consequences if it does. It's hard to estimate the likelihood of an AI takeover but obviously the impact would be enormous. 

There's a new book on the subject, Superintelligence.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 09:27:22 am »
Agreed that we haven't yet seen anything remotely approaching artificial sentience. However, keep in mind that the biggest leap in exponential processes is the last one. Already we build systems that are difficult if not impossible to comprehend without tools. One breakthrough to watch for is when we build systems that build systems which is arguably underway. One way to think about risk is to consider the likelihood of a thing occurring and the consequences if it does. It's hard to estimate the likelihood of an AI takeover but obviously the impact would be enormous. 

There's a new book on the subject, Superintelligence.

There is a certain level of automation that I can tolerate; I have an issue with vehicles crafted with auto braking,  acceleration and steering which leads into my concern of other machines that are possibly controlled by A.I. I'm not 100% comfortable with.

The site you linked to does contain a fascinating glimpse into the various challenges A.I. programmers are faced with so I appreciate that gesture.  :) 

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 07:02:33 pm »
It's all good Battle. This is purely speculative stuff. Your guess is as good as mine or Professor Hawking's.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:22:40 pm »

Ray Kurzweil on Artificial Intelligence: Don't Listen to Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk
The MIT-trained inventor calls AI "the pivotal technology" in human progress.

Kyle Alspach   - Tech Editor

There’s a rift emerging among the members of the tech super-geniuses club. It’s not about matters of human intelligence, though. Physicist Stephen Hawking and Tesla/SpaceX founder Elon Musk have both recently warned that our sci-fi nightmares about artificial intelligence could actually come true in our lifetimes.

Here’s what Musk, for instance, said during a recent stop at MIT:

I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. Our biggest existential threat is probably that ... There should be some regulatory oversight at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don’t do something very foolish. With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon. In all those stories where there’s the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, it’s like, he’s sure he can control the demon. Didn’t work out.

It’s probably no surprise that Ray Kurzweil, the prolific inventor, MIT-trained artificial intelligence pioneer and author of several books on AI, sees computer intelligence as something pretty far short of demon-summoning.

On Friday, he decided to make his position crystal clear to the world. Kurzweil took to TIME to strike back against the likes of Musk and Hawking—and in Hawking’s case, even took a bit of a swipe, noting that AI is “helping the disabled (including providing Hawking’s voice).”

In short, Kurzweil argued that following ethical guidelines—made possible by strong government and social structures—should ensure that Skynet doesn’t happen:

Ultimately, the most important approach we can take to keep AI safe is to work on our human governance and social institutions. We are already a human-­machine civilization. The best way to avoid destructive conflict in the future is to continue the advance of our social ideals, which has already greatly reduced violence.

And, Kurzweil argued, we shouldn’t discount the importance of AI in our world—from helping to cure disease and treat disabilities, advance renewable energy and bring education to people around the globe:

We have the opportunity in the decades ahead to make major strides in addressing the grand challenges of humanity. AI will be the pivotal technology in achieving this progress. We have a moral imperative to realize this promise while controlling the peril.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 05:36:30 am »

Ray Kurzweil on Artificial Intelligence: Don't Listen to Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk
The MIT-trained inventor calls AI "the pivotal technology" in human progress.

Kyle Alspach   - Tech Editor

Interesting article...
Comparing the concept of Artificial Intelligence becoming sentient to  "...demon-summoning." 

Almost as ambiguous a descriptor as 'ghost in the machine.'

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 09:36:16 am »
I'm damn tired of Hawking STEALING MY IDEAS! >:(

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile