Author Topic: Sony Films execs apologize for emails  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Sony Films execs apologize for emails
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:12:46 pm »
After all the retail corporate hacking, I'm not shocked, really, that a Hollywood studio might be next-- though now there's the pushback to brush aside the content due to the illegal hack release of the emails.. wild times..

side note: get your money, Kevin!   ;)  (let's hope Top Five blows up!)

http://tinyurl.com/patmpmy

Sony’s PR firestorm in the wake of a massive hack by a group calling itself Guardians of the Peace was given more fuel when sensitive company data, including salaries and internal emails, were leaked Wednesday.

Earlier releases included information showing star Seth Rogen earned $2 million more than “The Interview” co-star James Franco, but now additional company salaries—including those of top executives—are on display as well. According to The Washington Post:

Data on Sony’s employee pay revealed a huge gender gap among the highest-paid U.S. employees. According to data on 6,000 employees, 17 U.S. employees are making $1 million or more, and only one is a woman.

In addition to the leaked salaries, also made public was a series of internal emails, including a nasty fight between film producer Scott Rudin and Sony Entertainment Chairman Amy Pascal. A thread referencing movies President Obama might like to watch (they were all racially themed, with “12 Years a Slave” and “Django: Unchained” specifically named) drew particular criticism.

Rudin apologized Thursday morning for both the racial comments he made as well as remarks such as calling Angelina Jolie “a minimally talented spoiled brat”:

Private emails between friends and colleagues written in haste and without much thought or sensitivity, even when the content of them is meant to be in jest, can result in offense where none was intended. I made a series of remarks that were meant only to be funny, but in the cold light of day, they are in fact thoughtless and insensitive—and not funny at all. To anybody I’ve offended, I’m profoundly and deeply sorry, and I regret and apologize for any injury they might have caused.

Shortly after Rudin’s apology, Pascal released one of her own, which read:

The content of my emails to Scott were insensitive and inappropriate but are not an accurate reflection of who I am.

Although this was a private communication that was stolen, I accept full responsibility for what I wrote and apologize to everyone who was offended.

The release of the emails is not only a humiliating turn of events for Sony execs—chances are good that more company executives will scramble to make apologies as additional material is leaked—but it’s an “unprecedented” attack on a U.S. company, according to Business Insider.

“Sony Pictures needs to figure out a way to stop the bleeding, before it can get to healing,” Engadget’s associate editor and lead video producer, Edgar Alvarez, wrote in a detailed timeline of the hack.

Time reports Sony is resorting to fighting fire with fire—or, in this case, hacking with hacking—in order to stop the bleeding. Sebastian Anthony writes in ExtremeTech that Sony is deploying more than fake content:

It is more likely that Sony is poisoning the BitTorrent swarms that are sharing the stolen data, making it very hard for people to download data —and if they do succeed in downloading, the poisoning should mean that the data is too corrupt to be of any use.

Anthony writes that Sony is allegedly using “hundreds of computers” to carry out a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack on the people sharing stolen content. These attacks slow, and even stop, users from accessing the files.

Some have come to the company’s defense, including director Judd Apatow:

Philip Lord, writer and producer of “The Lego Movie,” even goes so far as to say Sony executives were the victims in this situation:

The more information is leaked, however, the more critics are finding it hard to accept the depiction of Sony executives as victims. PR pros should take note, as this might just impact the way we communicate in the future—both internally, and externally.

What do you think, PR Daily readers? Is Sony’s response less than stellar?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Sony Leak includes latest Spike Lee Pitch
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 03:31:44 pm »
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6406317/sony-hack-reveals-destinys-child-biopic-spike-leedrake-film-more

As it stands now, the Sony hack is already the most massive, embarrassing breach of security in the history of the entertainment industry. From behind-the-back insults to in-your-face insults to racist jokes about Obama, a slew of emails continue to come out that make no one look good.

The hack is so wide-ranging that it's started to envelop the music world, too. Here's the crossover so far.

Drake to Play 'PE*NIS' in Spike Lee Movie

A rep for Spike Lee reached out to Sony for a proposed sequel to Lee's 1988 film School Daze, entitled School Daze Too. Drake is supposedly game to star as a rapper named PE*NIS.

Wait, what?! Well, here's the email.

“This is a new draft that Spike has written after meetings with Drake, who will play the lead role of PE*NIS, and Kevin Hart who will play DAT N-GGA JIGGA. The budget is $ 9 million (net, after Georgia tax credits), not including historic costs, star salaries, creative producer fees. I believe in the film both as an entertainment -- a college film -- and as a provocative and exciting piece about the conflict of traditional values (education, college) and hip hop/star/celebrity culture. Why go to college to get a job to make money when you can make more money rapping, stripping, and creating salacious music videos even if they demean women?
”

Willow & Jaden Smith Mocked

An email from a TriStar chairman to a Sony exec finds the former mocking Willow and Jaden's bonkers interview with The New York Times, saying, "They r home schooled. Don't let this family date your movie!!!"

Kanye West Will Dance

A rep for Kanye reached out to Sony in Aug. 2014, gauging interest in an upcoming film project West is working on that involves "cinematic and technological innovation." In 2012, West directed Kid Cudi in a film requiring three screens that debuted at Cannes.

The hack also revealed that West is part of an upcoming untitled Christmas Eve project starring Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The film features a scene where Rogen, JGL, Kanye and Anthony Mackie reenact Tom Hanks' famous FAO Schwarz piano dance from Big. Sure, why not!

Destiny's Child Biopic

In Dec. 2013, a Screen Gems exec emailed various Sony execs to tell them Beyonce's father and former manager is looking to make a Destiny's Child biopic.

“Matthew Knowles, Beyonce’s Father wants to make the film of Destiny’s Child and came to me first. He’s going to Universal next. Do we think it would be a successful film? They’re on Sony label. I’m just not sure that it’s not too soon." As the Daily Beast points out, a separate Destiny's Child biopic is set to debut on Lifetime in Feb. 2015, which may explain why the project didn't progress (at least, as far as we know).

Annie Leaks

The entire film, featuring reworked songs and original material from Sia, hit the Internet after the hack. On the plus side, one of Sia's songs is up for a Golden Globe, so the sun did come up tomorrow.

Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Sony Films execs apologize for emails
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 10:30:10 am »
Greatest hack I've ever seen next to the one that de-planed a Sony exec!  :)

Who can top this one?  ;D

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 01:08:12 pm »
Sony was hacked before so this is nothing new. I am unsure why this is supposed to be newsworthy. They are so adamant in stopping this but was kinda half assed when they were hacked before when the hackers snatched credit card information from the PlayStation network.

With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 03:24:49 pm »
This issue isn't really a hackers vs Sony thing...

It's clearly a issue of bad blood between Koreans and the Japanese.   It's been confirmed by NBC today that the hack originated from Korea.

It should be interesting where this all leads to.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 08:34:50 pm »
Sony was hacked before so this is nothing new. I am unsure why this is supposed to be newsworthy. They are so adamant in stopping this but was kinda half assed when they were hacked before when the hackers snatched credit card information from the PlayStation network.

There is a difference between simple the very or vandalism and the destabilization of Sony as a company.

Apparently they also got Sony's payroll data. They could have stopped everybody from getting thier checks and
they have already started out releasing payroll related info. It will be chaos if Sony employees don't know when or if they are going get their next pay check.

Thinking about it, the payroll issure s probably why Sony caved so quickly.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:11:14 pm »
Best scene from one of my favorite cyber sci-fi thrillers, Hackers:

"I Thought You Was Black, Man!"

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 01:40:15 pm »
This afternoon, saw a clip of amy pascal in a televised interview in San Francisco on MSNBC's NOW hosted by Alex Wagner, my gawd, pascal sounds like a drunken fool after being reduced to a lesser role in the decision making of Sony projects.

She's a professional studio head?!  ???

What th' fvck, yo?   :-[