Author Topic: SUPPORT KAMALA HARRIS FOR SENATE  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
SUPPORT KAMALA HARRIS FOR SENATE
« on: January 14, 2015, 11:22:46 pm »

Kamala Harris

I’m excited to share with you that I’m launching my campaign to represent the people of California in the United States Senate.

Your support has been crucial to me every step of the way, and I’m asking you to help me build a grassroots campaign that reaches every community of California.

From my first days as a prosecutor in Alameda County, to my work as San Francisco District Attorney to my current service as California Attorney General, I have worked to bring smart, innovative and effective approaches to fighting crime, fighting for consumers and fighting for equal rights for all.

I want to be a voice for Californians on these issues and others that impact our state in the U.S. Senate. I will be a fighter for the next generation on the critical issues facing our country. I will be a fighter for middle class families who are feeling the pinch of stagnant wages and diminishing opportunity. I will be a fighter for our children who deserve a world-class education, and for students burdened by predatory lenders and skyrocketing tuition. And I will fight relentlessly to protect our coast, our immigrant communities and our seniors.

California has been incredibly well served by the transformational leadership of Senator Boxer and the continued service of Senator Feinstein. With your help, I hope to build on their legacies in the U.S. Senate.

I’m looking forward to seeing and talking with you in the coming days and months. In the meantime, I hope you will join me on this journey. We will do incredible things together.

Thank you,

Kamala

Kamala D. Harris is the 32nd Attorney General of the State of California. She is the first woman, the first African American, and the first South Asian to hold the office in the history of California.

As chief law enforcement officer for the State of California, Attorney General Harris has focused on combating transnational gangs, increasing the adoption of technology and data-driven policing by law enforcement, and improving public safety by reducing recidivism. She has fought to reduce elementary school truancy in California, preserve the state’s natural resources, and ensure marriage equality for all Californians. She has also worked with the technology industry to improve online privacy and safety. Following the national mortgage crisis, Attorney General Harris secured more than $20 billion for struggling California homeowners from the nation’s banks and wrote the nation’s most comprehensive package of foreclosure reforms.

Attorney General Harris began her career in the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office, where she specialized in prosecuting child sexual assault cases. In 1998, she joined the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office, where she led the Career Criminal Unit. She also served as the head of the San Francisco City Attorney’s Division on Children and Families.

Born in Oakland, California, Attorney General Harris received her undergraduate degree from Howard University and her law degree from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. Attorney General Harris is married to Doug Emhoff and is the author of the book Smart on Crime: A Career Prosecutor’s Plan to Make Us Safer.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: SUPPORT KAMALA HARRIS FOR SENATE
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:53:21 am »
Yeah... Yeah... yeah...  I heard this on the radio a few days ago...  I was disappointed when I heard that Senator Boxer was stepping down from her post but quickly cheered up when I heard Kamala Harris could possibly take her place. 

How does this sound?

Senator Kamala Harris, the distinguished lady from California.

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 06:21:01 am »

I'd love to organize a small fundraiser for her this year. Anyone want to get together in LA this March?
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:43:12 am »
Kamala Harris Heading to Hollywood for Senate Fundraiser

by Tina Daunt   2/10/2015 12:42pm PST
While other prominent Democrats weigh jumping into the race for Barbara Boxer’s U.S. Senate seat, Kamala Harris is busy staking her claim to one of the party’s most important fund-raising constituencies—Hollywood.

Wednesday evening, Emmy Award-winning producer and co-founder of 3 Arts Entertainment Michael Rotenberg and his wife Shannon will host Harris’ first local senatorial fundraiser at their Bel Air home. Hollywood went all in for Harris during her successful run for State Attorney General, contributing at least $1.4 million to her campaign.

The entertainment industry became early supporters of Harris during her days as district attorney in San Francisco, when director JJ Abrams and wife Katie McGrath spotted the lawyer’s political potential.

According to an invite obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, those attending the Wednesday fundraiser for Harris’ Senate campaign include: Showtime president David Nevins and wife Andrea; TV writer and producer Chuck Lorre; Dayna and Steven Bochco; producers Sarah Timberman and Ed Redlich; “Hot in Hollywood” designer Laurie Feltheimer, wife of Lions Gate CEO Jon Feltheimer; Childrens Defense Fund director Carol Biondi; celebrity attorney Blair Berk; Showtime Networks’ communications head Trisha Cardoso; State of Affairs producer Julia Franz; casting director Sharon Klein; Chrisette Hudlin, wife of film director and producer Reginald Hudlin; Lysa Heslov, wife of producer Grant Heslov; attorney Julia Sorkin; and former music industry executive Laura Wasserman.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 05:11:13 pm »

Police support for Harris: A warning sign to Villaraigosa

By MICHAEL FINNEGAN

L.A. police union backing Kamala Harris: another sign of the attorney general's focus on Antonio Villaraigosa
First union to back Kamala Harris for Senate is L.A. police: a sign of her focus on Antonio Villaraigosa
In any other campaign, a labor union backing a Democrat for U.S. Senate would be routine.

But the first to line up publicly behind state Atty. Gen. Kamala D. Harris turns out to be the Los Angeles Police Protective League.

Her announcement Wednesday of the union’s support underscored that a paramount goal for Harris in the opening phase of her Senate run is to keep former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa from joining the race -- or at least to make the contest more difficult for him should he decide to jump in.

Indeed, for Harris, the ritual of rolling out endorsements appears more and more to be largely about Villaraigosa, a fellow Democrat whose allies say he is likely to announce his candidacy any day.

First, she announced the support of two prominent Los Angeles African Americans: City Council President Herb Wesson, a longtime Villaraigosa ally, and county District Atty. Jackie Lacey. Their support for Harris, who is black, suggested Villaraigosa’s historically strong support among African Americans could be in peril.

AT 4:55 PM FEBRUARY 11, 2015

Next came a series of Latino endorsements of Harris: Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia, Assemblyman Jose Medina (D-Riverside), San Francisco City Atty. Dennis Herrera and former state Democratic Chairman Art Torres.

Villaraigosa, who would be California’s first Latino senator, would need strong Latino support in the June 2016 primary to help offset Harris’ Bay Area stronghold.

Now, the police union’s support of Harris serves as a reminder that Villaraigosa would face a serious risk that organized labor would rally behind the attorney general -- a formidable threat in any statewide campaign. The education agenda that Villaraigosa pursued as mayor turned powerful teachers unions into staunch adversaries.

Aggravating the natural tensions that any mayor faces with municipal unions, Villaraigosa had the misfortune of governing Los Angeles when the 2008 economic crisis struck, ravaging the city’s finances. The police union’s nearly 10,000 officers went without raises for three years on his watch.

Law enforcement unions were no friend of Harris when she first ran for attorney general in 2010. Statewide, nearly all of them opposed her after she refused, as San Francisco's D.A., to seek the death penalty in prosecuting the killer of city Police Officer Isaac Espinoza.

During her first four years as attorney general, Harris worked hard to win the unions' support for her reelection -- and most of them indeed endorsed her. Craig Lally, president of the Los Angeles Police Protective League, said he was especially moved that Harris had traveled far and wide to attend the funerals of slain officers.

“She’s amazing with that,” Lally said.

If many other law enforcement unions follow the league’s lead in backing Harris for Senate, it would bolster her law-and-order credentials. That could prove particularly useful in a race against Villaraigosa, who often boasted of expanding the Police Department’s ranks by hundreds of officers when he was mayor.