Author Topic: Pacquiao agrees to fight Mayweather...Hell Freezes Over  (Read 5144 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Pacquiao agrees to fight Mayweather...Hell Freezes Over
« on: January 15, 2015, 02:41:09 pm »
The fight the world has wanted to see for the better part of six years -- a long-awaited summit meeting between welterweight champions Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, the two top boxers in the world -- is not done, but it has cleared a major hurdle.

Pacquiao and Top Rank, his promoter, have agreed to terms for a May 2 bout, Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti told ESPN.com on Tuesday night, although Mayweather has not yet agreed to terms and it remains to be seen if he will.

"Top Rank and Manny have agreed to the terms on our side. I don't know about the other side," Moretti said.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12164550/manny-pacquiao-agrees-terms-fight-floyd-mayweather

To be fair I thought Mayweather v Pac was a shoe in for Mayweather even before Paq suffered not one, not two but three (O.K., 2 1/2) ass beatings at the hands of Marquez. Now Pac's likely a shodow of his former self.

Hard to get excited for this at this stage of the game. 

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Pacquiao agrees to fight Mayweather...Hell Freezes Over
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:30:25 pm »
This guy knows absolutely NOTHING about boxing. I've been hearing the ol' "Boxing is dying" crap for years and yet...

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 01:28:30 am »
Not going to be able to see the fight but I pray that Mayweather beats the living s____t outta Pacquiao this weekend.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:33:13 am »
This guy knows absolutely NOTHING about boxing. I've been hearing the ol' "Boxing is dying" crap for years and yet...

And yet..what?

Nobody I've spoken to or heard speaking about this fight thinks its going be any good. The general consensus is that this
fight should have happened 6 years ago,  Pac's washed up or close to it and he has no chance to win.

The amount of hype for this fight was standard for any Hagler, Leonard, Duran or even Tommy Herns fight back in the day.

BTW, last week V. Klitchko sucessfully defended his heavyweight belt and nobody gave a damn just like the last 10 times he did it.

These two guys are the last remnants of what Boxing used to be like (when Boxing actually mattered) but after that there's nowhere to go and all that's gonna be left is a bunch of dudes mad that they even bought this pay per view. 

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 07:42:47 am »
Not going to be able to see the fight but I pray that Mayweather beats the living s____t outta Pacquiao this weekend.

Why? Seriously, I'm curious.

I don't care much about this fight in 2015 but I would like to see somebody kick Mayweather's woman-beating ass in or out of the ring.

The Boxer and the Batterer 
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 08:49:53 am »

I don't care much about this fight in 2015 but I would like to see somebody kick Mayweather's woman-beating ass in or out of the ring.

Or the Batterer VS The Adulterer.

Neither one is an "Angel", I don't expect many folks who earn a living beating people up to be one either. Either way, I don't root AGAINST African American atheletes, the rest of the world does a fine enough job at that without me joining the chorus.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 09:13:47 am »

And yet..what?

Nobody I've spoken to or heard speaking about this fight thinks its going be any good. The general consensus is that this
fight should have happened 6 years ago,  Pac's washed up or close to it and he has no chance to win.

The amount of hype for this fight was standard for any Hagler, Leonard, Duran or even Tommy Herns fight back in the day.

BTW, last week V. Klitchko sucessfully defended his heavyweight belt and nobody gave a damn just like the last 10 times he did it.

These two guys are the last remnants of what Boxing used to be like (when Boxing actually mattered) but after that there's nowhere to go and all that's gonna be left is a bunch of dudes mad that they even bought this pay per view.

AND YET...despite what "everybody you've spoken to" has said, the richest fight in history is still going forward. Not bad for a dying sport.

These two guys are the last remnants of what Boxing used to be like (when Boxing actually mattered) but after that there's nowhere to go

These guys weren't the superstars they are now a decade ago and when they're gone there will be other guys taking their place, that's the cycle of boxing. Remember Trinidad? Jones, Jr., De La Hoya, Barrera, the list goes on. You're (and the writer of that article) obviously not that big a fan/follower of the sport, so maybe the guys who aren't yet big time superstars, but who a building a following (Gennady Golovkin, Terrance Crawford, Kell Brook, Amir Khan, Keith Thurman, etc. just to name a few) are what you consider "nowhere to go". As for Klichko, so what? Why not mention the LUCAS MATTHYSSE/RUSLAN PROVODNIKOV fight that was on a week or 2 prior? Maybe because it was the exact opposite of Klitchko's fight? Or the Mega deal Al Haymon just made with NBC, SHOTIME/CBS bringing boxing to regular network TV? Boxing ain't done, not by a long shot.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 11:34:02 am »
A spectacular false equivalency.

Neither one is an "Angel", I don't expect many folks who earn a living beating people up to be one either. Either way, I don't root AGAINST African American atheletes, the rest of the world does a fine enough job at that without me joining the chorus.
I understand the sentiment. And I don't expect angels either. But I have a daughter. So f*ck Mayweather. Won't happen in the ring but he deserves a beating and some jail time.   

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 11:45:03 am »

Thank you, kind sir. :)

That's just one part of the answer. The other part is that I don't have access to any cable channel carrying the fight.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 01:16:37 pm »
But I have a daughter. So f*ck Mayweather.

I have TWO...and?

Won't happen in the ring but he deserves a beating and some jail time.

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." —Will Munny

As for the jail time, he's already served.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 01:21:24 pm »

Thank you, kind sir. :)

That's just one part of the answer. The other part is that I don't have access to any cable channel carrying the fight.

No Sports Bar's in your area? I think certain movie theatre's are showing the fight, too.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 01:56:43 pm »

And yet..what?

AND YET...despite what "everybody you've spoken to" has said, the richest fight in history is still going forward. Not bad for a dying sport.

These two guys are the last remnants of what Boxing used to be like (when Boxing actually mattered) but after that there's nowhere to go

These guys weren't the superstars they are now a decade ago and when they're gone there will be other guys taking their place, that's the cycle of boxing. Remember Trinidad? Jones, Jr., De La Hoya, Barrera, the list goes on. You're (and the writer of that article) obviously not that big a fan/follower of the sport, so maybe the guys who aren't yet big time superstars, but who a building a following (Gennady Golovkin, Terrance Crawford, Kell Brook, Amir Khan, Keith Thurman, etc. just to name a few) are what you consider "nowhere to go". As for Klichko, so what? Why not mention the LUCAS MATTHYSSE/RUSLAN PROVODNIKOV fight that was on a week or 2 prior? Maybe because it was the exact opposite of Klitchko's fight? Or the Mega deal Al Haymon just made with NBC, SHOTIME/CBS bringing boxing to regular network TV? Boxing ain't done, not by a long shot.

I'll give Boxing credit for finally figuring out a decade late that it really needs to be on free TV regularly to build fan interest.

That's how you build a following.

Greedhead promotors forget how often guys like Tyson and, Hearns, Vinny Paziena and Camacho fought on free tv back in the day (Tyson was an extreme example of that) to build thier rabid following.

The dudes that you are mentioning here I never heard of and I am not giong out of my way to find out about them.

I know more about CM Punk going to UFC than I do about any boxer other than the "pound per pound crew" and its not because I'm a Punk fan or a UFC fan.   I'm indifferent to both of them.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 02:00:19 pm »
But I have a daughter. So f*ck Mayweather.

I have TWO...and?

Therefore I will not knowingly support a ... person that beats on women.

Won't happen in the ring but he deserves a beating and some jail time.

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." —Will Munny

In the (fictional) wild west. Probably in the here and now too. A pity.

As for the jail time, he's already served.

2 months total. 6 (or 7) charges. Who knows how many assualts...

From The Boxer and the Batterer
The first documented claim of domestic violence occurred in 2001. After Mayweather and Melissa Brim, the mother of his daughter Ayanna, got into an argument over child support, according to court documents, Mayweather swung open a car door that slammed her in the head, then he punched her three times in the face, leaving “fresh bruises.” Brim called the police from a convenience store. A few months after that, according to a lawsuit that Brim later filed, Brim and Mayweather were at a mall together with their daughter when Mayweather, after asking a friend to hold Ayanna, punched Brim in the neck. Brim dropped the lawsuit, but Mayweather would plead guilty to two counts of domestic battery against Brim, for which he would receive a suspended six-month jail sentence, a $3,000 fine, 48 hours of community service, and two days of house arrest.

It is no secret that Mayweather works with beautiful precision — that he is a sweet scientist. And it is no secret that Mayweather has been accused of seven separate assaults against five different women that led to citation or arrest.

From Domestic violence remains dark cloud hanging over Floyd Mayweather’s legacy
Floyd Mayweather Jr., who has six times been charged with domestic violence and served two months in jail in 2012 for the 2010 beating of the mother of three of his children, has never been disciplined in any way by the Nevada Athletic Commission, even though he's fought 26 of his 47 professional fights in the state.

But I'm not mad at you. Just can't join you this time.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 08:38:09 pm »
Yeah, it's apparent that he and baby Mama Josie Harris have a dysfunctional history (like Sugar Ray Leonard beating his wife's a$$ back in the day). I didn't bother to read the article, did it mention that in July 2005 after Harris testified that she had LIED and that Mayweather had not battered her? The 2 of them have problems, not my business, they chose, of their own free will, to deal with each other. I enjoy boxing, I don't judge the character of the athletes involved, your mileage may vary. Oh well, enjoy your weekend, I know I will.