Author Topic: The Destruction of the Black Panther Jonathan Hickman's Legacy?  (Read 34726 times)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Destruction of the Black Panther Jonathan Hickman's Legacy?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 06:49:48 am »
Ok.

Offline Happy Pants

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 01:10:26 pm »
I don't want a hero I go from pitying to outright being disturbed by.

Just about everything bad that has happened to Wakanda came from decisions T'Challa made.

JH has actually made me not like my favorite hero.

It has been mentioned earlier, but the only way out it seems is the MCU presentation getting to the core of the character which should appeal to millions, and and not a 60K white males & Uncle Tom's who think a confident & competent black hero is some perfect Mary Sue.

I like TChalla. I dislike many things that Hickman and Mayberry put him through. But I know that the end result is...badass TChalla. Forevermore. So...I'm down with that part.

Keep hope alive.

Offline Happy Pants

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 01:14:40 pm »
Actually I was referring to the outcome that SI is expecting.   He feels Hickman is going to bring BP  to a superior state.   My point is,  unless the next writer is directing this outcome,  the next BP writer could  ignore that and do worse and turn him into Ultimate BP who is mute.
Well.....if 616 BP turns mute......he could no longer make empty threats.....and run his mouth instead of pulling the kill switch on his death traps.

Sorry....I just had to go there.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:25:25 pm by Happy Pants »

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 04:18:15 pm »
Actually I was referring to the outcome that SI is expecting.   He feels Hickman is going to bring BP  to a superior state.   My point is,  unless the next writer is directing this outcome,  the next BP writer could  ignore that and do worse and turn him into Ultimate BP who is mute.
Well.....if 616 BP turns mute......he could no longer make empty threats.....and run his mouth instead of pulling the kill switch on his death traps.

No need to apologize for telling the truth.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 10:35:31 am »

Indeed!  Your frustration with this wretched characterization is rightfully shared and more than understood!

Peace,

Mont

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 05:49:02 pm »

Indeed!  Your frustration with this wretched characterization is rightfully shared and more than understood!

Peace,

Mont

The MU comic characters are supposed to be in alignment with the Marvel movies. You think Movie Marvel BP will be mute? Powerless? Without Wakanda? No? Okay then.

That means that the twists and turns that he's going through now and all of the largely deserved complaints and cries that it's generated on this board simply show that Hickman is doing a good job of taking TChalla thru the ringer. And all of the foregoing will make TChalla's return climb to superior glory that much more memorable.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 09:17:12 pm »

Peace,

Mont

The MU comic characters are supposed to be in alignment with the Marvel movies. You think Movie Marvel BP will be mute? Powerless? Without Wakanda? No? Okay then.

That means that the twists and turns that he's going through now and all of the largely deserved complaints and cries that it's generated on this board simply show that Hickman is doing a good job of taking TChalla thru the ringer. And all of the foregoing will make TChalla's return climb to superior glory that much more memorable.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 10:21:25 pm »

"...Hickman is doing a good job of taking T'Challa thru the ringer."

Agreed!  Unfortunately my friend, "T'Challa's return climb to superior glory..." in comics only exists as a figment of your potent imagination.  Hanging your hopes for such a return on the forthcoming movies when they are chronologically behind the books; just introducing Ultron and Civil War story lines, doesn't logically follow. 

All we actually have is what's on the page and to that end we've gone from promise:

to:

and Reed is now unquestionably the lead:

(I know this isn't 616 Reed but you can insert the image of Cap confronting Reed and Sue in Avengers #40, I just couldn't find that online.)

For me, even a Priest/Hudlin level redemptive turn, which would be wonderful and welcome, would not undo any of the post-Hudlin experience which has been long, arduous and extremely disrespectful to fans of The Black Panther and Wakanda.

Peace,

Mont

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 06:00:51 pm »

Agreed!  Unfortunately my friend, "T'Challa's return climb to superior glory..." in comics only exists as a figment of your potent imagination.  Hanging your hopes for such a return on the forthcoming movies when they are chronologically behind the books; just introducing Ultron and Civil War story lines, doesn't logically follow. 

All we actually have is what's on the page and to that end we've gone from promise:

to:

(I know this isn't 616 Reed but you can insert the image of Cap confronting Reed and Sue in Avengers #40, I just couldn't find that online.)

For me, even a Priest/Hudlin level redemptive turn, which would be wonderful and welcome, would not undo any of the post-Hudlin experience which has been long, arduous and extremely disrespectful to fans of The Black Panther and Wakanda.

Peace,

Mont

I cannot deny nor would I even attempt to deny that Hickman has put hammer to the anvil of TChalla. No doubt that there are major aspects in there that I'm not loving.

But. We KNOW that Marvel Comics IS GOING TO reflect the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In the MCU? TChalla is a badass. Therefore. We KNOW that TChalla is going to be a badass BEFORE the movie with Captain America breaks out. When's Cap's Movie? Next year, right?

Right when Battleworld ends.

So. TChalla is definitely on the comeback trail.

And YES you are RIGHT that Hickman's run won't be forgotten. But I tell you this:

Despite the bad pills. Despite the disagreeable pic of TChalla shedding tears. Despite the destruction of Wakanda.

When Hickman is done? He will have done what nobody else has done for TChalla. He will have placed TChalla invincibly front and center as one of the baddest best smartest and still the most independent man in The Avengers, and the MU. And every writer across the MU and comicdom will respectanize the Essence That Is TChalla. And that foundation will allow the CJP's the RH's the Liss' of the future to write TChalla full bore no shame in his game flames WITHOUT backlash from the LCBRD because the LCBRD will now include a much larger, much more diverse audience who ALREADY knows AND accepts TChalla as essentially Marvel's Batman.

Summer. 2016. TChalla tears down all hatas forever in his movie debut with Cap. He'll be with THE AVENGERS too [ making 3 Black guys: Fury, Falcon and TChalla ], which will kick the flava for his own movie up even more notches. And then? A trilogy all about "the shrewdest man in the MU"--CJP.

And Hickman is setting the Marvel Universe up for that, right now.

I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 01:40:24 pm »

to:

Peace,

Mont

I cannot deny nor would I even attempt to deny that Hickman has put hammer to the anvil of TChalla. No doubt that there are major aspects in there that I'm not loving.

But. We KNOW that Marvel Comics IS GOING TO reflect the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In the MCU? TChalla is a badass. Therefore. We KNOW that TChalla is going to be a badass BEFORE the movie with Captain America breaks out. When's Cap's Movie? Next year, right?

And YES you are RIGHT that Hickman's run won't be forgotten. But I tell you this:

Despite the bad pills. Despite the disagreeable pic of TChalla shedding tears. Despite the destruction of Wakanda.

When Hickman is done? He will have done what nobody else has done for TChalla. He will have placed TChalla invincibly front and center as one of the baddest best smartest and still the most independent man in The Avengers, and the MU. And every writer across the MU and comicdom will respectanize the Essence That Is TChalla. And that foundation will allow the CJP's the RH's the Liss' of the future to write TChalla full bore no shame in his game flames WITHOUT backlash from the LCBRD because the LCBRD will now include a much larger, much more diverse audience who ALREADY knows AND accepts TChalla as essentially Marvel's Batman.

Summer. 2016. TChalla tears down all hatas forever in his movie debut with Cap. He'll be with THE AVENGERS too [ making 3 Black guys: Fury, Falcon and TChalla ], which will kick the flava for his own movie up even more notches. And then? A trilogy all about "the shrewdest man in the MU"--CJP.

You do know the Black Panther flick's been pushed back to 2018?

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2015, 01:58:58 pm »
Yeah because a more marketable character is available and it is the top dog A Lister at Marvel and the biggest cash cow in the stable of Disney's new acquisitions. I'm talking about Spiderman, baby!! T'Challa just can't compete at that level. T'Challa is not an A-lister and thanks to how the game is played he will never be. Well he may have a chance once his movie is released but then again as long as the writers keep jobbing him to prop other characters...
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 06:24:29 pm »

to:

Peace,

Mont

Of course I do know that TChalla's movie has been pushed back to 2018.

That's why I pointed out that Cap's movie...which introduces TChalla...drops in 2016. That would be CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR.

That's the part where I said: "But. We KNOW that Marvel Comics IS GOING TO reflect the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In the MCU? TChalla is a badass. Therefore. We KNOW that TChalla is going to be a badass BEFORE the movie with Captain America breaks out. When's Cap's Movie? Next year, right?"

This guy right here:

is not a sucka. You don't make hundreds of millions if not billions on a sucka. You don't introduce a sucka via CAPTAIN AMERICA:CIVIL WAR. You don't drop a trilogy costing a hundred million or so in aggregate for the trilogy...on a sucka. You do that only with major bankable properties.

BP is a major bankable property.

Heads are mad at Hickman now...and a lot of them are supposed to e. It's justifiable. But. Before the end of Battleworld? TChalla will be that major hot bankable property.

RH was the only guy who all by his lonesome had both the writing and directing skills to rock that BLACK Panther, but they hated on him [ unjustifiably imo and I will think that til my dying day ] and would let him do it.

Hickman came around and he's actually gonna get it done in the MCU and set it up for Kevin Feigle [ or whatever ole dude's name is ] on the Cinema side.

Proof? Check Marvel Phase 3.

Game over.

TChalla wins.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2015, 05:55:37 am »
Will Hickman's run be remembered?  I've heard this brought up a few times.

Personally, I suspect, other than us and few other, these issues leading up to Battleworld/Secret Wars will be completely forgotten.  Battleworld/Secret Wars is what is going to be remembered.  This stuff, eh, it will be mostly forgotten. 

Hickman's writing style is long and drawn out; by the time we got to the scene where BP broke down, the art work sucked.  These aren't the books I hear people talking about, outside of places like this.

I know New Avenges isn't the worse selling of books, but the last time I looked, it was one of the worse selling Avengers title.  I know some of you can find the sales numbers.  So how has this book been selling lately? Has it improved?

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2015, 12:24:20 pm »
Hickman's run will most definitely be remembered, as he is the hands down most influential writer in MCU history up to this point.

His stories relaunched the entire MU. He won't be dwarfed by Secret Wars or anything else because he authored the major stuff himself.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/hickman-ends-the-avengers-new-avengers-prepares-for-battle-in-secret-wars&sa=U&ei=T2cpVYDkO4vsoATFxoGoCA&ved=0CAQQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFD3dAel5kdLrnI0xGMl3u_nmnQmw

Now, various aspects and arcs of his run will be overshadowed by his subsequent stuff. New Avengers will be overshadowed by Secret Wars, and Secret Wars will probably be overshadowed by Battleworld.

TChalla is front and center on Cap's side during the all new all different Civil War. This thing here...this story here...is incredible. I remember asking how our world would not have been drastically scarred changed and damaged by the proliferation of high powered villains fighting high powered heroes long ago. And how we as a mass of regular citizens would react to such powered people. This major interplay is probably going to be explored in some way or other in the new Civil War.

Or. Maybe not. Lol.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 03:59:08 am »

to:

Peace,

Mont

Of course I do know that TChalla's movie has been pushed back to 2018.

That's why I pointed out that Cap's movie...which introduces TChalla...drops in 2016. That would be CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR.

That's the part where I said: "But. We KNOW that Marvel Comics IS GOING TO reflect the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In the MCU? TChalla is a badass. Therefore. We KNOW that TChalla is going to be a badass BEFORE the movie with Captain America breaks out. When's Cap's Movie? Next year, right?"

This guy right here:

is not a sucka. You don't make hundreds of millions if not billions on a sucka. You don't introduce a sucka via CAPTAIN AMERICA:CIVIL WAR. You don't drop a trilogy costing a hundred million or so in aggregate for the trilogy...on a sucka. You do that only with major bankable properties.

BP is a major bankable property.

Heads are mad at Hickman now...and a lot of them are supposed to e. It's justifiable. But. Before the end of Battleworld? TChalla will be that major hot bankable property.

RH was the only guy who all by his lonesome had both the writing and directing skills to rock that BLACK Panther, but they hated on him [ unjustifiably imo and I will think that til my dying day ] and would let him do it.

Hickman came around and he's actually gonna get it done in the MCU and set it up for Kevin Feigle [ or whatever ole dude's name is ] on the Cinema side.

Proof? Check Marvel Phase 3.

Game over.

TChalla wins.

The sycophancy continues.

How much is Hickman paying you?

On a much more serious note.

I would never have believed that a time would come when a writer would be praised for totally watering down and destroying the Black Panther mythos to such a degree.

It's very hard to fathom but I can only assume that some weird type of Stockholm Syndrome is to blame for this.

Christopher Priest wrote a nuanced, complicated T'Challa replete with angst, knowledge of self and technological superiority without sacrificing T'Challa's inner humanity.

Reginald Hudlin gave us amore swashbuckling, supremely confident and culturally aware T'Challa who served as a bastion to other Black characters within the 616 MU.

Dwayne McDuffy represented to the max.

Hell!

Even Geoff Johns, came correct with T'Challa when he was writing the Avengers book.

David liss working from a very disadvantaged position, still succeeded in writing T'Challa as a boss regardless of status and he did so without diminishing either T'Challa, Shuri or Wakanda in the process...

David Liss also created one of the coolest supporting characters in Sofija.....

who turned out to be quite interesting...

All of these writers brought something special to the Black Panther mythos but for some unfathomable reason, I'm supposed to salute Hickman for reducing T'Challa to this...

Whilst giving T'Challa's attributes to Reed Richards.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:37:51 am by Salustrade »