Author Topic: The Kitty Pryde Syndrome  (Read 15393 times)

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
Re: The Kitty Pryde Syndrome
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 04:01:10 pm »
I wonder how Kitty felt about the Virgin Mary - er, Ororo - when she learned that Storm lost her virginity when she was 12.

Kitty Pride -

"Ororo lost here virginity? Ororo, DID you lose your virginity? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenn

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2007, 05:31:41 pm »
"Kitten, what do you think that Forge and I did all that time when we were trapped in the Beyonder's World?"

"FORGE, TOO!?!?!"

"Kitten, it was a year..."

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! YOU ARE SUCH A SLUT!!!!"

*flounces off*

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 05:36:45 pm »
I wonder how Kitty felt about the Virgin Mary - er, Ororo - when she learned that Storm lost her virginity when she was 12.

Probably the same when Storm learned Kitty lost her virginity to an older man, namely Pete Wisdom.  :)
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 06:16:28 pm »

Probably the same when Storm learned Kitty lost her virginity to an older man, namely Pete Wisdom.  :)

Ororo -

"Baby Girl, you gave it up to an older man? Well, that's cool as long as he can pay some bills around here. What good is a Sugar Daddy for anyway?"  ;)

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2007, 06:18:11 pm »
Dude, you are totally missing the point. Sigh

Forgive my I'm a psychologist and I was having a little fun. Syndromes and other types of illnesses are often named after the person(s) discovering them or a name someone attributes to it.  Often times these syndromes are named after something or someone can could represent the basic concept.  In this case, young Kitty Pride in that scene perfectly underscores, NEGATIVE FAN-BASE REACTION to Storm's wedding with Black Panther. Why you ask?

Because in that scene she is guilty of doing the same thing fans are doing now.  She negatively reacted to Storm making a significant change because it shook her foundations of what and who she thought Storm SHOULD BE.  The wedding for Storm represents a change some fans don't agree with.  The key idea here is change not the wedding itself.  The change breaks their idealized image of their "goddess."  This has nothing to do with Kitty Pryde today.  This has everything to do with Kitty Pryde at a young age not accepting Storm making a change.

I'm using only one action of a fictional character to describe a very real reaction

And then you wrote to me: Totally irrelevant.  You are comparing a fictional character to a REAL-LIFE issues.

There is a difference between comparing a fictional character to a real-life issue and using a character to describe real actions.

Kitty Pryde = fictional character thus
4. Hatred of Reginald Hudlin for despite never having read any issue of the current Black Panther run.
N/A
5. Claims of no backstory between 616 Storm and Black Panther.
She's said nothing so far.
6. False characterization of Storm's abilities that can be proven contrary to her actual 616 abilities (eg. Claims that she could easily be a good leader of Wakanda despite past history that have show her community leadership skills to be quite poor and ineffectual.)
N/A, not unless you include fan fiction.

makes 0 sense.  I would have thought you would have realized that by now.  Yes Kitty Pryde must really think Reggie Hudlin is an idiot. Hudlin hate is so strong even comic book characters hate him. 

(insert Storm-worshipping BP hater here) = real person thus comparison to a fictional character's action makes sense.

You are focusing on the marriage of Storm as opposed to the change of Storm.  THe marriage is an only a catalyst and symbol for change of the character not the totality of the change itself. 

Do you worship the ground Kitty Pryde phases through or something?  This is ridiculous.

Jenn

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 06:25:11 pm »

That reminds me. Was that union even remotely legal? I'm not talking about legal in Thailand legal, or legal in Kansas legal, either.

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2007, 07:46:13 pm »

That reminds me. Was that union even remotely legal? I'm not talking about legal in Thailand legal, or legal in Kansas legal, either.

I remember reading that the writer for Excalibur at the time was imagining Kitty to be in her twenties at the time.

BUt what about kitty and Colosus?  she was 13 and he seemed to be at least 18.  I never saw his exact age but he was written as being "teenager" when his brother Mikhail was an astornaut years before he was taken recruited by Xavier.  Illyana was a toddler (3-4) at the time and by the time she came to the X-Mansion (and before she went to the other realm and became a teenager) didn't she age a few years to like a 5 or 6 year old?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2007, 09:14:53 pm »
Do you worship the ground Kitty Pryde phases through or something?  This is ridiculous.

No, but it seems ridiculous to use the name of Storm's friend for describing reactions of those who against Storm's changes.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2007, 09:21:35 pm »

I remember reading that the writer for Excalibur at the time was imagining Kitty to be in her twenties at the time.

BUt what about kitty and Colosus?  she was 13 and he seemed to be at least 18.  I never saw his exact age but he was written as being "teenager" when his brother Mikhail was an astornaut years before he was taken recruited by Xavier.

When Kitty was with Wisdom she was around 18 - 20. In Great Britain the legal age is - what? 16? 17? Back when Kitty was with Piotr they were both teenagers. But they weren't that intimate. Yet, when they were both impregnated by the Brood Kitty wanted to make love to Colossus in case they all died.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 07:01:53 am »

Colossus never really touched Kitty as far as I know, until recently in Astonising X-men. She's 19 now. During the Excalibur run both she and Rahne (Wolvesbane) are around 17-18. While 16 is probably legal in England. Kitty was a little older than that. Had it been up to Ellis, this would have been made more clear. But Marvel thought there was a question of taste involved (and they weren't wrong IMHO). Hence, Colossus reaction to Wisdom (attempted murder). He's like "I've got that on lay-away, what are you doing. ":D

Y'know, when you look at it, Storm was probably by far the most sexless X-man. Even Rogue, whose touch practically KILLED folks got more than she did.   

Jenn

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2007, 12:57:01 pm »
The thing is, I never saw Storm as someone who would have sex with just anyone. NOT because she's so noble and pristine, but because there are some women who simply cannot enjoy sex unless they are genuinely in love with the person they are with. I'm one of them. I think Storm is another. She gives herself wholeheartedly, without restraint, and she can only do that with someone she truly, truly loves. Anything less than that is artificial - a cheap thrill. Which is why T'Challa can make hail in Wakanda. ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:20:35 pm by Jenn »

GrimSkill

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2007, 02:14:36 pm »

Ororo -

"Baby Girl, you gave it up to an older man? Well, that's cool as long as he can pay some bills around here. What good is a Sugar Daddy for anyway?"  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2007, 02:19:40 pm »
I take it Storm's "near-episode in Australia" with Slipstream didn't meet with your approval. :D

I thought it showed character growth that she went from going "Am I pretty?" at fancy dress balls to casually shopping for lingerie so she could seduce some Austrailan lifeguard. Though I doubt she'd have gone thru with it. I think she just liked the idea being in the mix.  

Jenn

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2007, 04:38:31 pm »
I take it Storm's "near-episode in Australia" with Slipstream didn't meet with your approval. :D

I thought it showed character growth that she went from going "Am I pretty?" at fancy dress balls to casually shopping for lingerie so she could seduce some Austrailan lifeguard. Though I doubt she'd have gone thru with it. I think she just liked the idea being in the mix. 

That was a Claremont masturbatory fanfic, plain and simple. Self-insertion at its absolute worst. I'd ask you for a scan (I never made it past #8), but I don't think my stomach could handle it. I like Storm in her "Am I pretty?" mode. Banging some 19 year old DUMB ASS surfer boy? Now THAT'S out of character!