Author Topic: New main page with smart analysis and a cool Reggie announcement!  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Go and check it out, then come back here and let's talk about it.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New main page with smart analysis and a cool Reggie announcement!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:26:11 pm »
I hope this works as there are a myriad of issues involved here.

The commentary about HOUSE PARTY and in relation Kid N Play is representative of both your realities in pop-culture.

If I were to teach a lesson about power to children, I would have a group of pictures of popular figures and ask if they can name them. I would then put up a group of pictures of those who are the bosses behind the popular faces and once again ask them to identify the people.

Most likely they would get the names of their favorite rappers, actors, athletes etc. completely correct. As for those who hold the strings in the background, they probably won't recognize a single one.

The aforementioned exercise pertains to both you and HOUSE PARTY. If we had to name some of our favorite 90's movies HOUSE PARTY almost never comes up in the first wave. After some thought is applied, its proper position as groundbreaking is then recognized. Its the COOLEY HIGH of my generation but as the author mentioned it is never placed with BOYZ N THE HOOD or MENACE 2 SOCIETY.

I think the direction of pop-culture which is quite simply Black pop-culture fit more into a mold of an anti HOUSE PARTY reality. The hyper-masculine dynamic got pushed in conjunction with a gangster/criminal element that became a pre-requisite for much of Black entertainment in general; most notably cinema. Due to this fact much of what is connected to that paradigm comes to mind first. Its the same way that Kid N Play's presence in both The Golden Age of rap and the promotion of the genre in mass media is never given proper credit at first blush because they don't fit into what rap has become.

To expand the point, much of what is being discussed about HOUSE PARTY and its proper place can be extended to BOOMERANG.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New main page with smart analysis and a cool Reggie announcement!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:10:53 pm »
That analysis is true; it is also broadly true that people take "serious" movies more, well seriously.  Comedy is always a step child when it comes to respect.