Author Topic: So where the heck IS Wakanda anyway?  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
So where the heck IS Wakanda anyway?
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:48:01 am »
This is what we know.

They remained "hidden" from the west until T'challa reign.

According to the Priest run it is about the "size of New Jersey."

It has mountains, marshlands and forests in its terrain. This is according to that map everybody but me has for Wakanda.

Sometimes its a landlocked nation, sometimes it ain't (Personal vote is for landlocked)

The old school Marvel Universe Handbook says there are around 100 Wakandans (I takes this to mean the actual tribe itself and not the citizens of the nation) if it helps any.

If you put a gun to my head I'd say it shared a river border with the Demoratic Republic of the Congo. But I could be wrong.

Any ideas HEFers?

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
Re: So where the heck IS Wakanda anyway?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 02:38:43 pm »
 Vic, I don't where it is!  but this is an interesting Idea 8)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:16:54 pm »
I checked Wikipedia and even THEY don't bother to give a location for Wakanda :D. Latveria, though they put on the border of Romania.

While I maintain it either shares a border with DRC or Rwanda (which would put them in an interesting ethical dilemma), Then there's that pesky ritual of manhood walkabout where T'challa first met Storm.

Did he WALK FROM DRC TO KENYA? I know he's supposed to be tough but dag :D.   

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 03:17:14 pm »
My copy of the handbook said that wakanda had 1000 inhabitants. The map I saw in the hand book had it landlocked with the river of grace and wisdom flowing through it. oh twisted vision lake had panthers island in the center of it. interesting enough the river seperated central wakanda from the domain of the white gorillas and killmonger's village.

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 03:18:39 pm »
My copy of the handbook said that wakanda had 1000 inhabitants. The map I saw in the hand book had it landlocked with the river of grace and wisdom flowing through it. oh twisted vision lake had panthers island in the center of it. interesting enough the river seperated central wakanda from the domain of the white gorillas and killmonger's village.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 03:58:26 pm »
The mystery of Wakanda is cool and it should be enigmatic in its intrepretation....would not want all of BP's secrets known and it is part of their culture to remain unknown to the outside world.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 04:58:55 pm »
Uh-HUH.....I see, you don't know where it is either! ;D

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 05:07:14 pm »
Last time we tried to figure this out we had it possibly in Madagascar??

The discussion is here

http://hudlinentertainment.com/smf/index.php?topic=884.45

along with a map..

Over in the storms haircut thread,,, and don't even ask me how we got talking about "where Wakanda might be" from a discussion on Storm's hair style,, but that's HEF! eh! LOL!

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 05:09:18 pm »
Oh and Sinjection had some good thoughts on where it may be as well in the same thread

http://hudlinentertainment.com/smf/index.php?topic=884.60

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 05:38:13 pm »
I just had a discussion with Ammar about this recently (can't remember which thread).  Basically Wakanda has been in several different places since it has been created.  West AFrica, Northern AFrica and Central Africa to be specific.  I read a Official Handbook that said it was in Northern AFrica.  In its first inception it was more oriented in West Africa near Ghana I suppose as the Wakandan were portrayed as the Akan people (see how "Akan" is in "Wakanda?").  PRiest I think had it more towards Central Africa but Hudlin DEFINITELY has it in central Africa as seen in the picture of it on the board during the White House meeting in issue #1 or #2.  This means currently it is near Uganda, Rwanda or Congo.  Oh and yeah that old map drawing of Wakanda would suggest that was somewhere near Madagascar as it shows the Indian Ocean being on the WEST coastline.

Offline Loren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 08:39:13 pm »
PRiest I think had it more towards Central Africa but Hudlin DEFINITELY has it in central Africa as seen in the picture of it on the board during the White House meeting in issue #1 or #2.

Hudlin once said that was a coffee stain, when it was pointed out that the same arc has the US cyborgs walking onto the Wakandan shore from the sea.

Personally, I think Wakanda has to be landlocked, practically by definition.  It's impossible for a 'hidden' nation to border the ocean; you can't hide a shoreline too easily.

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 11:13:54 pm »
PRiest I think had it more towards Central Africa but Hudlin DEFINITELY has it in central Africa as seen in the picture of it on the board during the White House meeting in issue #1 or #2.

Hudlin once said that was a coffee stain, when it was pointed out that the same arc has the US cyborgs walking onto the Wakandan shore from the sea.

Personally, I think Wakanda has to be landlocked, practically by definition.  It's impossible for a 'hidden' nation to border the ocean; you can't hide a shoreline too easily.

yeah the Cyborg thing throws a wrench in it.  I think  pre-Priest they had Wakanda on the shore and I always felt that was a bad idea.  Priest and moreso Hudlin entertain the notion of staying hidden through some existence of military might but pre-Hudlin focuses (especially Thomas ) makes it more hidden.  You are right.  It's hard to stay hidden on the coast.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 07:28:31 am »

yeah the Cyborg thing throws a wrench in it.  I think  pre-Priest they had Wakanda on the shore and I always felt that was a bad idea.  Priest and moreso Hudlin entertain the notion of staying hidden through some existence of military might but pre-Hudlin focuses (especially Thomas ) makes it more hidden.  You are right.  It's hard to stay hidden on the coast.

The Kirby run had Wakanda nestled in a valley of some sort. But he also made T'challa a telepath, a power he never had before or since (in fairness he did explain how he came to have that power-vibranium exposure).

Considering Hudlin's first issue has Wakanda repelling Euros that look like Afrikaners and the amount of trouble South Africa and its (Marvel stand in) have given it, any takers for Wakanda being near South Africa?

Might go some way to explain "Panther's Quest."   

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 05:53:42 pm »
I like the central African location. But Wakanda is like Gotham City or Metropolis. The location varies and it's not really important to know exactly where.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?