Author Topic: Hancock  (Read 5800 times)

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
Re: Hancock
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 07:58:58 pm »
look up the word subtext.

Put Tom Cruise/Ryan Raynolds/ Gosling in Will Smith's place. Is the movie still antiblack?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:01:41 pm by Francisco »
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 11:14:09 pm »

Put Tom Cruise/Ryan Raynolds/ Gosling in Will Smith's place. Is the movie still antiblack?

doesn't matter. no one ever made that movie.

THIS movie, the one that actually got made, goes like this.

Hancock is a black drunk and perpetual f*ck-up who gets the sh*t kicked out of him whenever he tries to hook up with or even get close to a white woman (sometimes by the woman herself). He needs to be taught how to act like a good human being by a white guy. The very white guy who ends up having the life with his lover that he could never have. (Whoever made this film is working out some issues.) Hancock ends the film okay with this arrangement, as all neutered house negroes should  and spends the rest of his life as a sexless security guard dog, happily looking out for the perfect caucasian nuclear family.

his white female fellow "god" is FANTASTICALLY more powerful than he is. her non-powered white spouse is fantastically smarter than he is. Hancock is the character sam jackson played in Django with a happy boyish face.

the moral.

white people know best.
black people are to be civilized but kept in a metaphorical pen by whites until such time as they realize their duty in life it to protect and nurture the world affluent whites have built for themselves.

black men stay away from white women.

and it's it all SO funny.

except not.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:22:13 pm by Redjack »
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 05:17:51 am »
Do you know if the role (or the Original story) was written for Will Smith or any Black actor?  Or was it written for a  white actor and then they cast Will Smith because he wanted the role?  The reason I ask,  if it is the latter then the subtext only possible because Will Smith wanted the role and it wasn't the intent of the writer.    If it is the former,  I can see the subtext. 

(I know there is the incident that caused him to lose his memory points to a Black character,  but she said that these attacks always happened,  even long before the U.S. even existed. )

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 06:07:19 am »
Do you know if the role (or the Original story) was written for Will Smith or any Black actor?  Or was it written for a  white actor and then they cast Will Smith because he wanted the role?  The reason I ask,  if it is the latter then the subtext only possible because Will Smith wanted the role and it wasn't the intent of the writer.    If it is the former,  I can see the subtext. 

(I know there is the incident that caused him to lose his memory points to a Black character,  but she said that these attacks always happened,  even long before the U.S. even existed. )

Kip, have you ever read the original spec script, that eventually (after A LOT of rewrites) turned into what we now know as "Hancock"?
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/images/column/7108/tonight.pdf

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 07:06:54 am »

Hancock is a black drunk and perpetual f*ck-up who gets the sh*t kicked out of him whenever he tries to hook up with or even get close to a white woman (sometimes by the woman herself). He needs to be taught how to act like a good human being by a white guy. The very white guy who ends up having the life with his lover that he could never have. (Whoever made this film is working out some issues.) Hancock ends the film okay with this arrangement, as all neutered house negroes should  and spends the rest of his life as a sexless security guard dog, happily looking out for the perfect caucasian nuclear family.

his white female fellow "god" is FANTASTICALLY more powerful than he is. her non-powered white spouse is fantastically smarter than he is. Hancock is the character sam jackson played in Django with a happy boyish face.

the moral.

white people know best.
black people are to be civilized but kept in a metaphorical pen by whites until such time as they realize their duty in life it to protect and nurture the world affluent whites have built for themselves.

except not.
The minute I saw Will Smith, one of the coolest, smartest, nicest men in this town, as a drunk loser, my desire the see the film went away.  Which is why I just saw this now. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 07:34:28 am »
RedJack better stop posting juicy, insightful stuff before I become a fan of his again!   ;)

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 06:56:35 am »

the moral.

white people know best.

except not.

Then again put a white actor in Will Smith's place and the movie works just the same but no one would be talking about anti white or anti asian propaganda, in case Will was to be replaced by Jet Li or Jackie Chan. Your point is that black characters must be perfect people or they automatically become stereotypes? Tom Cruise as Hancock would've been just Tom Cruise playing a troubled character but Will Smith or Laurence Fishburne or Denzel or Snipes is automatically playing antiblack propaganda. I guess Blade is anti-black propaganda since he injects himself a serum to keep the blood thirst at bay?

Subtext: Looking for sh*t to get mad about
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 06:29:35 pm »
Please allow me to make my own points because you're lousy at it.

I'm a professional screenwriter. I'm perfectly fine with imperfect characters. I make them up, daily.

When I point out these sorts of things, it's not because I'm "looking for something to get mad about." It's because I understand what, in this instance, certainly, are OBVIOUS subtextual tropes that were clear deviations from the original script.

And, frankly, not that sub.

It's fine if you want to ignore it or look past it. You paid your money and you can enjoy it or not enjoy it as you see fit.

but you're not allowed to pretend it's not there because it very much is.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:49:35 pm by Redjack »
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.