Author Topic: Disappearing Excellence: The Senate & Loretta Lynch  (Read 85785 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearing Excellence: The Senate & Loretta Lynch
« Reply #360 on: December 24, 2021, 06:34:01 am »
Friday, 24th  December  ~Two Thousand & Twenty One
Jury finds kim potter guilty in death of Daunte Wright
by ABC News

Former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter has been found guilty of first-degree and second-degree manslaughter in the fatal shooting of Daunte Wright.

Potter had pleaded not guilty.

The maximum sentence for first-degree manslaughter is 15 years and a $30,000 fine, and for second-degree manslaughter, it's 10 years and a $20,000 fine.

Potter's sentencing has been scheduled for February 18.

She will be taken into custody immediately without bail.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 10:21:05 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 25, 2021, 02:24:49 pm »
Saturday, 25th  December  ~Two thousand & Twenty One
14-year-old girl killed by LA police in a Burlington changing room was shopping for quinceañera dresses
by Alia Shoaib & Azmi Haroun

The 14-year-old girl who was fatally shot by Los Angeles police inside a Burlington store's changing room on Thursday had been trying on dresses for a quinceañera, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing a source within the Los Angeles Police Department.

The Los Angeles County coroner's office identified the girl as Valentina Orellana-Peralta on Friday, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The office identified the suspect who was killed by police as Daniel Elena Lopez.

The officers were responding to reports of an assault with a deadly weapon.

Upon arriving, they saw the male suspect "in the process of assaulting another person," LAPD Officer Drake Madison previously told Insider.

An officer found the girl inside a changing room while searching the store for additional suspects or victims, the LAPD said in a Thursday statement.

LAPD Chief Michel Moore told the LA Times that surveillance footage appeared to show that the girl was in the changing room with her mother when police shot her.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 25, 2021, 11:07:55 pm »
Sunday, 26th December  ~Two Thousand & Twenty One
A stupid North Carolina police chief was put on unpaid leave after allegedly telling officers where they can get a COVID-19 vaccine card without the shot
by Sarah Al-Arshani

A lousy North Carolina police chief was placed on unpaid leave after he reportedly told officers about a "self-vaccination" clinic where they could get COVID-19 vaccine cards even if they didn't take the vaccine, local outlet WBTV reported.

Town Administrator Doug Burgess sent Smith a letter that said the reported advice violated personnel policies.

Oakboro Police Chief TJ Smith was placed on a two-week unpaid leave starting on December 21st, as well as six-month probation, the WBTV reported.

Burgess also told Smith that further violation could result in termination, according to the letter obtained by WBTV.

In a statement to WBTV, Smith said he made a mistake. He said he got a call from a friend about what was described as a "self-vaccination" clinic and called two other officers with that information.

"I got one phone call, hung up, and made two others. I didn't sit back and digest the information, ruminate on it, or otherwise give it much thought. I just passed it on," he said.

Smith added that he wasn't very knowledgeable on vaccines but had received his COVID-19 shots in the spring.

"I'm owning that. It was a mistake, and I shared misinformation," Smith said in the statement to WBTV.

"That's true. I wanted to say something about this before now, but with everything going on, it was best that I wait for the investigative process to conclude."

"I just try to help people where I can, and I passed on something that, in hindsight, I shouldn't have," Smith added.

"I shared something that wasn't true. I didn't profit from it. I couldn't possibly profit from it, and I didn't do it from a place of malice. I care deeply about others, and I sincerely appreciate that I have a job that allows me to serve them and to see things improve in my community."

COVID-19 has been the leading cause of death for police officers since the start of the pandemic, with over 460 officers dying. 

In 2020 and 2021, more than four times as many police officers died from COVID-19 than from gunfire.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 27, 2021, 11:29:08 am »
Monday, 27th  December  ~Two Thousand & Twenty One
Hennepin County sheriff dismisses calls to resign
by BringMeTheNews

Dave Hutchinson, in interviews with media over the weekend, dismissed calls to resign.

Hennepin County Sheriff Dave Hutchinson has no plans to resign from his law enforcement post in the wake of his recent DWI.

The 41-year-old spoke to WCCO, WCCO Radio, fox 9 and the Star Tribune over the weekend, telling them he won't be stepping down prior to the end of his first term in January of 2023.

He also said he plans to run for re-election.

"I'm not going to let one horrible mistake define me," Hutchinson told WCCO's Jennifer Mayerle.

The sheriff also reiterated versions of previous statements he had released in the immediate aftermath of the crash, in which he promised to seek help for his alcohol use and admitted to drinking before the December 8th rollover crash.

Hutchinson had a BAC of 0.13, according to court documents, and photos taken at the public lot by independent photojournalist Rebecca Brannon show the county-owned vehicle was a mangled wreck following the crash.

But questions continue to swirl around Hutchinson, who received probation and avoided jail time by pleading guilty to misdemeanor DWI in connection with the early morning crash.

Hutchinson wasn't booked into jail until December 21st — five days after he'd pleaded guilty.

Ramsey County jail records show he was taken into custody around 3:40 p.m., with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office listed as the originating agency.

Senator Omar Fateh has called on Hutchinson to resign.

Representative John Thompson has twice taken to social media to contrast the treatment he received over the summer — in which he was pulled over for driving without a license plate, then fended off calls to resign after domestic violence police reports from 12 and 18 years ago emerged — with what Hutchinson has faced.

"If this was any regular hard working person would the criminal justice system work like it's working right now??" he wrote Sunday, later adding:

"I thought elected officials are held to a higher standard ?"

County Attorney Larson has said the DWI case, despite involving a high-profile law enforcement figure, "came to my office like any other case does" and "was processed like any other case is."

Hutchinson has also taken issue with suggestions he may have received preferential treatment.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 06:54:47 pm by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 27, 2021, 06:30:36 pm »
Monday, 27th December ~Two Thousand & Twenty One
13-year-old boy on dirt bike killed during attempted traffic stop
by Jordan Freiman

A 13-year-old Florida boy who was riding a dirt bike died Sunday during an attempted traffic stop, according to the Boynton Beach Police Department.

The boy was identified by family members as Stanley Davis Jr., CBS affiliate WPEC-TV reports.

Boynton Beach PD said that an officer saw the boy riding the dirt bike recklessly and attempted to stop him, CBS Miami reports.

During the attempted stop, the dirt bike went down and the 13-year-old was killed, according to police.

Florida Highway Patrol, which is leading the investigation, said in a statement that the boy "failed to maintain control of the vehicle and collided with the median curb."

He was then "ejected" from the dirt bike and "collided with a one way sign that was located in the median."

The boy died at the scene, according to FHP.

At a press conference on Sunday, Boynton Beach police chief Michael Gregory said that he had not seen any evidence that the officer's vehicle ever came in contact with the dirt bike.

He said that if anybody had evidence or testimony to the contrary, they should contact Florida Highway Patrol.

The officer who initiated the traffic stop has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

The Palm Beach County Medical Examiner's Office will also conduct its own investigation, after which Boynton Beach PD will conduct a separate internal investigation, Gregory said.

Comments Section

J H
Cops have no business chasing people over traffic infractions. It puts everyone in the area at risk, including the officers. People get killed when these chases go wrong..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 08:53:46 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 29, 2021, 05:57:03 am »
Wednesday, 29th December ~Two Thousand & Twenty One
North Carolina Cop Shoots Teenage Son in the Head
by Natalie Colarossi

A North Carolina police officer accidentally shot his teen son in the head, according to authorities familiar with the matter Tuesday.

The Onslow County Sheriff's Office said deputies responded to the shooting at a residence around 4:30 p.m. on Monday and found the 15-year-old suffering from a single gunshot wound, WNCT reported.

The boy was immediately transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently being treated for a life-threatening injury, Onslow District Attorney Ernie Lee said in a statement Monday.

The alleged shooter has been identified as the boy's father, who is employed as an officer with the Jacksonville Police Department, according to Lee.

Neither the boy nor the father has been identified in media reports.

"This is a tragic event and this matter remains under investigation by the Onslow County Sheriff's Office. The reports, statements, and other evidence from the investigation will be provided to this office to determine what actions, if any, will be taken. I continue to remain in contact with the Onslow County Sheriff's Office in this on-going investigation," Lee said in a statement posted on fakebook.

Preliminary investigations have so far suggested that the firearm in use was a handgun, and that the shooting was accidental, according to WNCT.

However, it is not yet clear how the incident occurred.

The Jacksonville Police Department said Tuesday that they will work with Onslow deputies during the probe.

"The Onslow County Sheriff's Office is conducting an investigation into the incident and the Jacksonville Police Department is fully cooperating with their investigation. We ask that our community members keep our employee and their family in their thoughts and prayers at this time," Investigative Services Supervisor Lt. Christopher Funcke said in a statement, according to WNCT.

Newsweek contacted the Jacksonville Police Department for additional comment and will update this story as more information becomes available.

According to an investigation by the Associated Press, accidental shootings by law enforcement officers are not uncommon in the U.S. From 2012 to 2019, the AP uncovered 1,422 unintentional firearm discharges across more than 200 police agencies in the nation.

Reasons for accidental shootings can vary from improperly cleaning or loading a weapon, an involuntary muscle reflex, or even because an officer tripped.

Experts have said that accidental shootings often occur because officers don't receive sufficient firearms training.

"Ninety-nine out of 100 times, there is not something wrong with the gun," Paul Markel, a former police officer and firearms instructor in Mississippi, told the news outlet.

"It's the person holding it."

« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 07:20:19 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 30, 2021, 04:58:46 pm »
Thursday, 30th December ~Two Thousand & Twenty One
Yeah, No, That Study Doesn’t Debunk Police Racism
by Tim Wise

Some people will say anything to deny the problem of racism in policing.

These are people who would have found ways to defend Bull Connor in Birmingham too, or Jim Clark and his goons in Selma six decades ago.

One thing about their denials has changed though — they’ve become more sophisticated.

Increasingly, such folks wrap their denial in a patina of respectable “evidence,” whereas, back in the day, they would have just said something about how those n_____rs were asking for trouble and left it at that.

But bullsh!t, even when footnoted, is still bullsh!t.

My favorites are the white folks who send around the study from a few years ago by Roland Fryer, a Harvard academic, which concluded police were no more likely to use lethal force against Blacks than whites.

They love this one because Fryer is Black.

Apparently, if a Black guy says there’s no racism in policing — or if that’s what they think he’s saying — there must not be.

It’s funny — first, because conservative white people are so quick to latch on to any Black person who they think confirms their nonsense, and second, because they don’t understand what the Fryer study says, why much of it doesn’t support their view, and why the part that does is seriously flawed.

The Fryer study looked at four data sets, mainly focusing on three:

stop-and-frisk data from New York City, data from 12 large cities or counties in Texas, Florida, and California, and a special data set from Houston.

The racism deniers focus on the finding that there was no racial disparity in use of lethal force, but before examining the data used to reach that conclusion, it’s worth looking at what the deniers ignore.

Looking at non-lethal force, Fryer relied on stop-and-frisk data from New York for 2003–2013 and found that Black New Yorkers were 53 percent more likely than whites to be met with non-lethal force by the NYPD.

Interestingly, when he controlled for variables like civilian behavior during the stop — did they resist arrest, for instance — or the neighborhood crime rate, not only did this not reduce the disparity, it sometimes increased it.

Nonetheless, when Fryer controlled for 125 supposedly non-racial variables, the observed disparity in non-lethal force fell from 53 percent to 17 percent — still significant, albeit less so.

If the disparity remained huge even when suspect behavior and neighborhood crime rates were held constant, what variables could have had such a depressive effect on disparity?

We don’t know for sure.

The complete list wasn’t provided in Fryer’s paper.

But what we do know about them is methodologically troubling.

Consider his controls for “community dangerousness.”

As noted previously, Fryer examined the neighborhood crime rates and actual suspect behavior during encounters because these would predictably increase the likelihood of police use of force.

So, where did the reductions come from?

According to Fryer, three “precinct effects” cut racial disparities in the use of force by nearly 20 percentage points — more than a third below their initial level.

And what were those?

According to Fryer, they were socioeconomic variables often correlated with crime rates: median education levels, median income, and median levels of unemployment in a neighborhood.

As Fryer puts it, these are “proxies for dangerousness.”

At that point, Fryer has already controlled for dangerousness and by a more direct method than using socioeconomic proxies to estimate it.

If the crime rate in a neighborhood fails to explain the racial disparity, controlling for variables that are often correlated with a higher crime rate is superfluous.

And if actual encounter dynamics failed to explain the racial disparity, controlling for variables that might predict greater resistance by civilians is equally absurd.

Either the person who was stopped resisted or they didn’t.

If they had, Fryer would have already controlled for that.

If they didn’t, the fact that there are many unemployed high school dropouts living on the block can hardly justify cops throwing someone who isn’t resisting against a wall.

Ultimately, even though he artificially minimizes the problem, Fryer’s data shows Black folks are much more likely to be handled violently by police.

And this is so, even when they put up less resistance, comply with all demands, have no weapons, and have committed no crime.

Of course, this finding is ignored by those who point to Fryer’s research as vindication of their racism denial.

When we look at Fryer’s data on lethal force, his conclusions are dubious to the point of being laughable.

First, let’s look at the data set from Houston, which consisted of interactions where officers fired at suspects or specific high-risk arrest scenarios where lethal force would have been most likely.

Here, Fryer discovered no real racial difference in the likelihood that Blacks, as opposed to whites, were shot by police once subjected to a stop or arrest.

Although such a position may seem intuitive, it doesn’t hold up to scrutiny for two reasons:

1. Racism can influence who gets stopped in the first place — and thus, how many encounters there are between cops and Blacks versus cops and whites — and,

2. Police could be confronting Black folks for more subjective, less legitimate reasons.

If the latter is true, this would naturally reduce the likelihood of those Black people being shot because they weren’t doing anything serious.

Thus, there would be less likelihood of a violent reaction by the Black person stopped.

If I’m Black and you stop me because of racialized suspicion and bias, and our encounter doesn’t result in a shooting — which it shouldn’t since I hadn’t even done anything to justify the stop — you can’t use your lack of deadly force against me as proof of goodwill.

A hypothetical can demonstrate the point.

Imagine a community where the white-to-black population ratio is 5 to 1 (similar to the U.S.), with 120,000 people: 100,000 whites and 20,000 Blacks.

And imagine that in a given year, police stopped 10,000 Black people (half the Black population) and 5,000 whites (5 percent of white folks).

And of the 10,000 Blacks stopped, 100 were shot by police, and of the 5,000 whites stopped, 50 were.

In both cases, the odds of being shot once stopped would be one percent, but 1 in 200 Blacks would have been shot, compared to 1 in 2000 whites.

The question isn’t,

“Once whites are stopped, are they as likely as Black people who’ve been stopped to be shot?”

The question is:

“Are white people, walking down the street, driving their vehicle, or just living their lives, as likely to be stopped in the first place and then shot as Black people?”

The answer to that is no, and nothing in the Fryer study suggests otherwise.

In addition to the special data set culled for him by the Houston PD, Fryer examined a 10-city data set from Florida, Texas, and Los Angeles involving interactions where officers had discharged their weapons.

Since everyone in the data set had been shot at by police, Fryer wasn’t seeking to determine the relative risk of whites or Blacks being shot by cops, but rather, how quickly officers had discharged their weapons.

Did police shoot before or after being attacked by the civilian?

Ultimately, Fryer found there was no significant difference based on race.

Perhaps the question of how quickly an officer decided to shoot is an interesting one to explore.

Still, it seems far more important to determine the relative risk of being shot as an unarmed Black person compared to an unarmed white person than to narrowly focus on a cop’s reaction time.

Although Fryer suggests it would have been impossible to answer this larger question, other researchers have been more ambitious.