Author Topic: Batman v Superman  (Read 22955 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Batman v Superman
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:43:38 pm »

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Batman v Superman
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:04:35 pm »
I compared this to Singer's Superman Returns trailer and you can see the difference between its message of hope against Snyder's cynical conflict. Marlon Brando was the sole narration and Snyder's is series of desperate arguments. The cool feats we've associated with Superman and Batman are repeated but without enemy targets. Superman's lifting a rocket but how did that happen? In Singer's trailer he's saving a falling airplane and we can root for that. We see Batman return to the streets in classic imagery but he's supposedly bitter.

This movie is obviously for fans who loved Man of Steel, which I stopped watching after the destruction of Krypton. (It made me feel stupid for checking it out.) Is this grudge match really what it's about? Should we care that Lex Luther is in this film? Do the other Justice League members matter? I can't imagine they'll make an intervention and force those two to partner up and save the day.

To me, it's a return to The Watchmen. But I don't #BelieveInBvS, (pronounced 'Beavus'). They're using the cult status of two superheroes to address world peace again. I'm going to check out Jormungand because crazy isn't just two white guys in capes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:08:47 pm by Open palm »
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:49:19 pm »
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:05:56 am »
co sign open palm.

wrong people making these films. they don't understand the character. i'm not sure Snyder understands regular human beings. it will make a lot of money, like MoS, but not as much they will want it to and it will leave the same crappy aftertaste.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 08:17:43 pm »
The thing is Singer's Superman's return was boring as hell. MOS despite its so called flaws was highly entertaining. Finally Superman doing super stuff rather than just lifting things and stalking Lois. By the way that was just a teaser trailer. The first one. The movie is almost a year away. Let's first see an actual trailer before condemning a movie yet to be released.
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 05:32:48 am »
The thing is Singer's Superman's return was boring as hell.

Always consider the source.  :)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 05:22:43 pm »
When I first saw the trailer for Man of Steel I knew I didn't want to watch it. I've been right every time I gave it one more try. I stopped watching the DVD after the destruction of Krypton because it was bad storytelling. With Singer's trailer it delivered what I expected, an homage to the Donner films.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 05:49:26 pm »
With Singer's trailer it delivered what I expected, an homage to the Donner films.

I don't know what movie you were watching but 'superman returns' was absolutely atrocious.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 06:29:06 pm »
It was still an homage to the Donner films. That's familiar. Man of Steel was a terrible narrative and a clear hack job.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 08:14:21 pm »
I think both films were created by people who absolutely failed to understand Superman. While Superman Returns was a bad Superman film, it tried hard to actually be a Superman film. It failed, yes, but it was absolutely trying to be a Superman movie.

Man of Steel is not a Superman film. The people behind it do not understand Superman and the same people are behind Batman v Superman. It will be crappy in precisely the same way as MoS.  The entire point of pairing the two characters is that they are opposites.

Both Batman and Superman in the Snyder-verse are basically the same person, i.e. men with tragic pasts with broken psyches (Batman by rage, Kal by fear) who can't solve any of their problems without murdering their opponents.

While a soft case can be made for Batman being little more than a crazy vigilante (although why anyone wants to see that is beyond me) a fearful Superman, one who can't outthink his villains is not Superman.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 10:05:26 am »
I think both films were created by people who absolutely failed to understand Superman. While Superman Returns was a bad Superman film, it tried hard to actually be a Superman film. It failed, yes, but it was absolutely trying to be a Superman movie.

Man of Steel is not a Superman film. The people behind it do not understand Superman and the same people are behind Batman v Superman. It will be crappy in precisely the same way as MoS.  The entire point of pairing the two characters is that they are opposites.

Both Batman and Superman in the Snyder-verse are basically the same person, i.e. men with tragic pasts with broken psyches (Batman by rage, Kal by fear) who can't solve any of their problems without murdering their opponents.

While a soft case can be made for Batman being little more than a crazy vigilante (although why anyone wants to see that is beyond me) a fearful Superman, one who can't outthink his villains is not Superman.

We haven't seen this version of Batman in action yet so how could you possibly know Batman has killed anyone in this iteration of the character? Tim Burton's Batman bombed factories with people inside. Nolan's Batman allowed a man to die in a trainwreck. Superman back in the 30's killed criminals or allowed them to die. In comics John Byrne Superman summarly executed General Zod by exposing him and his cronies to lethal kryptonite radiation. Years later, that same Superman fought and killed the creature known as Doomsday. (Lots of people died during that fight because the monster just like Zod and the kryptonians in MOS refused to fight away from populated areas) Killing is part of the legend on this characters. In MOS Superman killed Zod as a last resort after every other possible way to stop him was exhausted. If you think that Superman is all about smiling to the camera and downing cats from tree branches it is you who doesn't know anything about Superman. Snyder had the balls to pit Superman against enemies that wouldn't simply stand there talking while he flew someone away from danger.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 10:06:55 am »

The source is top notch sci fi material. How can someone turn it into guy stalks girl and her new boyfriend is beyond me.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 10:31:52 am »

The source is top notch sci fi material. How can someone turn it into guy stalks girl and her new boyfriend is beyond me.

Like RedJack said...
--- singer doesn't understand the character.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 10:57:12 am »

Like RedJack said...
--- singer doesn't understand the character.

That's not the reason the movie sucked. It was due to Singer infatuation with the Donner's movies. Returns is take by take a remake of Superman the movie. Scenes and dialogues are virtually copy/pasted from film to film. Sheere unoriginality that's what killed SR

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 11:41:03 am »
That's not the reason the movie sucked. It was due to Singer infatuation with the Donner's movies. Returns is take by take a remake of Superman the movie. Scenes and dialogues are virtually copy/pasted from film to film. Sheere unoriginality that's what killed SR

This is simply not true.

The television series, 'Smallville' has a lot more in common with the original 'Superman' movie directed by Richard Donner  than 'superman returns'.

'superman returns' was truly awful... as in, god-awful.  :-[