Author Topic: Secret Wars  (Read 27484 times)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Secret Wars
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 06:16:11 pm »
Any teasers for SW 2?

I went into issue 1 with low expectations and I actually really enjoyed it. I got my hopes up for issue 2 but it was just kinda....eh. I mean, the writing was good, but it just seems like another House of M, only with Doom in charge instead of Magneto. The ending might lead to something interesting but when all is said and done, Battleworld will only be a memory.

Maybe House of M is the wrong event to compare it to...I should have compared it to Flashpoint. A series set in an altered timeline that won't really matter, but will lead to changes in the mainstream universe.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 06:46:32 pm »
Yeah that has nothing to do with Secret Wars, remove that.

Also, SW #2 had no T'Challa (but it did have Bast).  T'Challa did appear in Mighty though.

Why would another Doom wankfest have T'Challa in it?

Isn't Doom already dead and gone?

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 06:07:06 am »

Given Reed's last words in SW1, I think "Doom" in SW2 is actually Reed. The entire reconstruction is another attempt by the Beyonders at (so far) unknowable ends.

By SW4, there should be a clearer sense of both the smaller character developments and the larger crisis in the plot.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 01:47:51 pm »
Jesse should be happy.  I'm done with Marvel.  How the F**K do you kill The Living Tribunal?!??!

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 08:55:35 pm »
SPOILER ALERT REGARDING THE NEW THOR'S IDENTITY

She's Jane Foster. Donald Blake's ex-gf or whatever. And the act of picking up Mjolnir...the power of the hammer...is killing her. Causing her to have breast cancer.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/marvel-female-thor-secret-identity-jason-aaron.html

Any teasers for SW 2?

As someone who didn't want this spoiled wtf does this have to do with Secret Wars?

Thor Corps. The "police" on Doomworld. I thought Jane Foster aka Thor might be in Thor Corps or whatever the Thors are called on Battleworld. Beta Ray Bill is there. Storm is there. Sooo...I thought...Jane would be a good fit, too.Any info on that, yet?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 09:00:53 pm »

Also, SW #2 had no T'Challa (but it did have Bast).  T'Challa did appear in Mighty though.

Why would another Doom wankfest have T'Challa in it?

Isn't TChalla with Reed on the life raft that TChalla designed and probably built?

Any teasers for SW 2?

I went into issue 1 with low expectations and I actually really enjoyed it. I got my hopes up for issue 2 but it was just kinda....eh. I mean, the writing was good, but it just seems like another House of M, only with Doom in charge instead of Magneto. The ending might lead to something interesting but when all is said and done, Battleworld will only be a memory.

Maybe House of M is the wrong event to compare it to...I should have compared it to Flashpoint. A series set in an altered timeline that won't really matter, but will lead to changes in the mainstream universe.

Flashpoint. Never heard of it or read it, but based on your post above? Good comparison.

Or. Maybe not.

Battleworld will have HUGE impact on the MU. As it is the spawning ground for the ENTIRE NEW MU. So. Unless Flashpoint restarted and expanded an entire comics universe? Flashpoint isn't really the good comparison that it may have seemed to be.

ABOUT TIME, MAN I HAVE REALLY WANTED TCHALLA TO BE IN MIGHTY AVENGERS.

[ Races off to find TChalla in Mighty Avengers ]
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2015, 09:06:16 pm »
So. Unless Flashpoint restarted and expanded an entire comics universe? Flashpoint isn't really the good comparison that it may have seemed to be.

That's exactly what Flashpoint did.

"Flashpoint is an American comic book crossover story arc published by DC Comics. Consisting of an eponymous core limited series and a number of tie-in titles, the storyline premiered in May 2011. The core miniseries was written by Geoff Johns and penciled by Andy Kubert. In its conclusion, the series radically changes the status quo for the DC Universe leading into the publisher's 2011 relaunch, The New 52."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashpoint_%28comics%29

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2015, 05:59:30 am »
So. Unless Flashpoint restarted and expanded an entire comics universe? Flashpoint isn't really the good comparison that it may have seemed to be.

"Flashpoint is an American comic book crossover story arc published by DC Comics. Consisting of an eponymous core limited series and a number of tie-in titles, the storyline premiered in May 2011. The core miniseries was written by Geoff Johns and penciled by Andy Kubert. In its conclusion, the series radically changes the status quo for the DC Universe leading into the publisher's 2011 relaunch, The New 52."

Flashpoint reset it TWICE!

First, it created an alternate universe where everyone was different and then it recreated the universe into 52.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2015, 12:26:18 pm »

Flashpoint reset it TWICE!

First, it created an alternate universe where everyone was different and then it recreated the universe into 52.

Holy Fact Checking, Batman!

Thanks bruh.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2015, 06:41:47 pm »
Regarding Flashpoint, I recommend Flashpoint: Batman. Cyborg was supposed to be the main hero of the Flashpoint universe but they really didn't do anything with him, IMO, and if I recall he didn't get his own Flashpoint series.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 06:44:01 pm by Emperorjones »

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2015, 03:46:56 pm »
Regarding Flashpoint, I recommend Flashpoint: Batman. Cyborg was supposed to be the main hero of the Flashpoint universe but they really didn't do anything with him, IMO, and if I recall he didn't get his own Flashpoint series.

I didn't know that Cyborg was given ANY love in the DCU.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2015, 06:24:59 pm »
Well with Flashpoint it was more b.s. clapping Cyborg on the back and big upping him without really giving him much to do, IMO, or even his own side series. Though in the New 52 they have tried to raise his profile. They included him on the Justice League, sidestepping the Teen Titans. I think he played a role in Forever Evil, working with the Metal Men (that's collected in the graphic novel Forever Justice-I picked it up but haven't read it. To be real though I was hoping it was the Forever Evil story more so than Cyborg and the Metal Men; should've paid more attention before I bought it). Cyborg is finally getting his solo series, which comes out this summer, and is being written by David F. Walker, who is doing the Shaft book right now. I'm looking forward to Walker's Cyborg series.

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 09:49:25 am »

The preview for SW3 was engaging - more info about the background between Strange and Doom. The unanswered question involves the absence of Owen Reese for their plot thread.

Hopefully, there will be some presentation of the BP/Reed team because their activities will be the hub of the multiversal reset.

I still think the Beyonders are some futuristic version of the 'good guys'. They will probably have to disappear/die to really open up a new status quo for Marvel.

Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2015, 07:39:36 am »

Where do you think this story is going? With the delays, it has been hard to follow.  Still, there was an interesting glimpse of Marvel's next phase in the last few pages of SW5.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2015, 01:13:22 pm »
Good question Doc!?!  Other than a somewhat cliched Reed vs Doom showdown, your guess is good as mine?

Peace,

Mont