Author Topic: Secret Wars  (Read 24426 times)

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Wars
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2016, 05:28:17 pm »
The overall combination of his aggressiveness, self-serving isolation, and arrogance based on his physical strength made me wonder why he hadn't destroyed other places in the ways he assailed Wakanda throughout his history.

As a literary figure, Namor seemed to represent the dark insecurity of the American men who wrote him. He was their darkness given a noble veneer. Just as politicians cloaked national expansion under the facade of democracy and freedom against the Soviet Union, Namor's "rugged individualism" was a thin coating over his desire for unchecked authority.

I think your observations are on the money and in my mind, indicative of the uneven characterization of Namor over the years seemingly more dependent on writer whim than any firm editorial vision for Namor's place in the Marvel U.  He's been hero and villian, monarch and ostracized ex-patriot, rakish adventure and noble defender.  Throughout all, IMO, he demanded unchecked authority more than he desired it.  That as I see it has been the most consistent aspect of his character.  That however is not inconsistent with your analogy, in fact it may make your point more forcefully?

Peace,

Mont

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2016, 02:58:54 pm »
Throughout all, IMO, he demanded unchecked authority more than he desired it.  That as I see it has been the most consistent aspect of his character.  That however is not inconsistent with your analogy, in fact it may make your point more forcefully?

The tension between his demands and desires is a point very well taken. It reminds me of Fredrickson and Roediger's accounts of white paternalism - the demand for omnipotence, but the ambivalence and insecurity in the face of its prospective achievement. Those qualities have become the hallmarks of Doom as a character, but the recent versions of Namor also reveal it.

The crisis of masculinity exposed. Maybe he will join the presidential primaries.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2016, 09:23:06 pm »
The crisis of masculinity exposed. Maybe he will join the presidential primaries.

Ha ha!  Who's that, Doom or Namor the Headless Sub-Mariner?  Make way for the autocrats and the new Totalitarian Party!

Peace,

Mont