Author Topic: Secret Wars  (Read 23891 times)

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
Secret Wars
« on: May 03, 2015, 07:12:46 am »

Did anyone else pick up on the way Doom and Molecule Man used the same language as Shuri and T'Challa ("put the knife where it belongs") about writing history and causing the universal collapses?

As I saw it, the exchange reminded me about an old Christopher Priest statement was T'Challa was the 'good' version of Doom in the MU. The constant replays about Shuri wounding Proxima Midnight (as well as T'Challa stabbing Namor) make me wonder about the longer term effects of being stabbed with vibranium.

There is an interesting narrative triangle that MU has created between Reed, T'Challa, and Doom. I think it may be at the center of the Secret Wars plot.

What do you think?
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
Re: Secret Wars
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:26:44 am »

Did anyone else pick up on the way Doom and Molecule Man used the same language as Shuri and T'Challa ("put the knife where it belongs") about writing history and causing the universal collapses?

As I saw it, the exchange reminded me about an old Christopher Priest statement was T'Challa was the 'good' version of Doom in the MU. The constant replays about Shuri wounding Proxima Midnight (as well as T'Challa stabbing Namor) make me wonder about the longer term effects of being stabbed with vibranium.

There is an interesting narrative triangle that MU has created between Reed, T'Challa, and Doom. I think it may be at the center of the Secret Wars plot.

What do you think?

I noticed the deliberate word choice and language similarities right away, as of course...Hickman made sure that these "similarities" were not accidents at all but reflective of important parts of the plot and storylines. And yes, I had been given reason to reflect several times upon the suggestion that TChalla was the good version of Doom...and Magneto...and a few other characters...combined.

T'Challa was more than the good version of Doom as CJP initially drew similarities between Magneto and TChalla, and then went beyond that to Doom and others. RH also specifically repeated that he liked the TCHALLA/DOOM "opposite sides of the same coin" comparison.

I personally think that TChalla is smarter than Doom is. I mean TChalla the human Wakandan unaugmented in any way...not TChalla as THE BLACK PANTHER, with his ability to draw upon the undefeated unbroken 10k year old line of supergeniuses who are The Black Panthers as his inner resources, and not TChallas as THE KING OF THE DEAD, wherein he is able to automatically and consistently share the experiences of al lother Panthers as if these things happened to TChalla himself, as opposed to "merely" spiritually consulting with them as he can as THE BLACK PANTHER.

In my fanfic, I have T'Syan tell D'Ciggs that the reason that Doom was able to get the drop on TChalla is because TChalla was still fighting the inoperable aneurysm that he caught under CJP's pen,and it had progressed to the point where it compromised TChalla enough to be nearly killed by Doom, before he righted himself and manipulated Doom into what became DOOM WAR.

TChalla's return from the realm of Death due to Ororo's heroics led him directly to experimenting with not just Shadow Physics but Dark Physics, and these experiments led to him discovering and implementing the cure to his inoperable brain aneurysm. Where science couldn't operate, magic and a blend of science magic and ka could operate and triumph.

As for Secret Wars? I'm sure that it's only the beginning. Unlike many here, I don't buy that Doom Strange and Molecule Man are dead. Seems to me that The Beyonders tricked DOOM into hurling that...universe killing bomb...into The Beyonders' dimensional aperture or whatever. And this weapon killed all the universes except for two, as TChalla and Reed confirmed. The Beyonders moved themselves into the same reality that is occupied by 616 Doom Strange and Molecule Man. The other Universe is of course The Ultimate Universe.

Things are about to get real interesting.

And for the record? I don't like the mask of TChalla wherein we get to actually see his eyes. Like his mask has holes cut out for the eyes. I like the Priest era and Ledkilla habits TChalla rocked. I jsut want the Priest era habit to be BLACK with gold. The original Black Panther outfit I thought was too dull. It was cool to an extent but...too dull. I like the improvements made upon it by other artists, but the BLACK AND GOLD version of the Priest era outfit is where it's at.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 05:03:04 pm »

Offline KidKamikaze10

• Some Nigerian Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 06:00:28 am »
Well, we DEFINITELY can't say Reed hasn't lost anything now.

f*cking yikes.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:48:00 am »

f*cking yikes.

I've seen Reed lose a lot of things but I haven't gotten Secret Wars #1 yet. Which loss of Reed's are you referring to?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline KidKamikaze10

• Some Nigerian Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:53:41 am »

f*cking yikes.

I've seen Reed lose a lot of things but I haven't gotten Secret Wars #1 yet. Which loss of Reed's are you referring to?

He watched his whole family die (as far as he knows).

This issue was jam packed, and it's great to see T'Challa as not just one of the survivors, but practically the leader of the survivors (Reed's going to be a bad place for a while).

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:53:59 am »
So basically Manifold chumped out Storm for Cyclops AND Lady Thor, by not letting her come aboard the arc.

Lol.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:56:55 am by Booshman »

Offline KidKamikaze10

• Some Nigerian Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:55:32 am »
So basically Manifold chumped out Storm for Cyclops AND Lady Thor, by not letting her come aboard the arc.

Lol.

sh*t, nevermind those two (at least they are packing heat), she got chumped over STAR LORD!

Gatdamn.

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 08:59:43 am »

Lol.

sh*t, nevermind those two (at least they are packing heat), she got chumped over STAR LORD!

Gatdamn.

LOL! Somehow, I bet this is going to be "T'challa's fault", even though it was 100% Manifold's decision, with whom to save.

And "damn", this is the second time Storm's been killed in an explosion in recent history.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:09:24 am by Booshman »

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 12:18:49 pm »

I noticed the deliberate word choice and language similarities right away, as of course...Hickman made sure that these "similarities" were not accidents at all but reflective of important parts of the plot and storylines. And yes, I had been given reason to reflect several times upon the suggestion that TChalla was the good version of Doom...and Magneto...and a few other characters...combined.

As for Secret Wars? I'm sure that it's only the beginning. Unlike many here, I don't buy that Doom Strange and Molecule Man are dead. Seems to me that The Beyonders tricked DOOM into hurling that...universe killing bomb...into The Beyonders' dimensional aperture or whatever. And this weapon killed all the universes except for two, as TChalla and Reed confirmed. The Beyonders moved themselves into the same reality that is occupied by 616 Doom Strange and Molecule Man. The other Universe is of course The Ultimate Universe.

Trying to find a way to get SW1 (S1W?) today...
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 04:53:46 pm »
Frank Castle went out in a blaze of glory

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 09:59:09 pm »
Frank Castle went out in a blaze of glory

That's how you go out. A blaze of glory. And in that regard? I don't see anyone topping Hyperion and Thor's exit.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 10:13:03 pm »

Lol.

Gatdamn.

LOL! Somehow, I bet this is going to be "T'challa's fault", even though it was 100% Manifold's decision, with whom to save.

And "damn", this is the second time Storm's been killed in an explosion in recent history.

YOU KNOW THIS, MAN [ in my best Chris Tucker Pookie from FRIDAY voice ]!!

What? They killed Storm in ANOTHER explosion BEFORE this one? And Lordy...isn't that Storm on the cover of SW 1? I thought we'd see Storm in A-Force. Guess the getting her dead with the rest of Earth thing stopped that, huh?

And of course. It means that STORM is going to pop up somewhere in the near future, but Marvel will be able to tell the X-Racists who care about hating on TChalla that this Storm is not the previous Storm and wait to see how things shake out in the MU after the whole Battleworld and other stuff is done.

Which...although annoying...is a true statement. Cuz writers can get down how they like, especially post-Battleworld.

f*cking yikes.

He watched his whole family die (as far as he knows).

This issue was jam packed, and it's great to see T'Challa as not just one of the survivors, but practically the leader of the survivors (Reed's going to be a bad place for a while).

Hooolllyyyy CRAP!! That sucks. It's nowhere near as bad as watching your country and most of your countrymen get ashed by Thanos, but it still sucks. And it IS great to see T'Challa as not just one of the survivors, but practically teh leader of the survivors, too.

Hmmm. Didn't a certain illuminated person tell some people on this site say a month or so ago that this would happen? That T'Challa would begin his slow but certain turn up, and accelerate as CAPTAIN AMERICA CIVIL WAR comes down the pipeline, and kick into  hyperdrive with both THE AVENGERS aaaannnd his trilogy of movies? That's 2016-2018 of badder and badder badass TChalla.  Didn't this very same illuminated person state that TChalla is a virtual lock for his own ongoing again, in the near future...2016 and definitely no later than 2017...only for Mark Waid [ I believe it was ] to confirm it via that CBR post? When he pointed out all these great things for TChalla and then felt uncomfortable because some people in the room said that if he [ the White comic book author telling this story ] was African-American, they'd give him the job on the spot to write TChalla.

Let's see what else happens. We know that Hickman is with that long game style, so expect a bunch of unpredictable twists and turns over the next year and some change.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 10:01:51 am »
YOU KNOW THIS, MAN [ in my best Chris Tucker Pookie from FRIDAY voice ]!!

What? They killed Storm in ANOTHER explosion BEFORE this one? And Lordy...isn't that Storm on the cover of SW 1? I thought we'd see Storm in A-Force. Guess the getting her dead with the rest of Earth thing stopped that, huh?

And of course. It means that STORM is going to pop up somewhere in the near future, but Marvel will be able to tell the X-Racists who care about hating on TChalla that this Storm is not the previous Storm and wait to see how things shake out in the MU after the whole Battleworld and other stuff is done.

Which...although annoying...is a true statement. Cuz writers can get down how they like, especially post-Battleworld.

Yeah. She was cannon fodder used to prop up Xavier, Scott, and Eva. Bendis killed her and all the JGS in Uncanny X-Men 031. And then retconned it in the same issue, via convoluted means of changing history, with timetravel.

Shortly after Scott inherited the school, during Xavier's final will and testament reading (Storm was Xavier's second choice) he turned it down, and gave it to Storm. Where shortly after inheriting it, Storm (while hypocritically using "mutant" as an insult on the same front lawn she said "mutants need to get along!" on, in an earlier issue) and the students attacked Malloy. The wildly unstable mutant who killed Emma in a previous issue and Scott in the current time-line they're in, (it's confusing, I know) who then promptly one-shotted all of them and blew up the school.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:12:06 am by Booshman »

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 06:21:21 pm »
Such a waste of Chris Bachalo's talents, put that man back on a Avengers or Spidey book