Author Topic: MUST READ: The Hudlin Manifesto on the main page  (Read 6719 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
MUST READ: The Hudlin Manifesto on the main page
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:56:51 pm »
I stepped out of my comfort zone for this one.  But it had to be done so I did it.  Please click over, read it, and tell me what you think.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: MUST READ: The Hudlin Manifesto on the main page
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:04:34 am »
A must-read, indeed.

Especially, number 4. Think About Systemic Change

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 05:58:51 am »
Trust me. Do this:

1.) Get a picture that best gets to the gist of your "Top Ten Things Black People Need to Do Now" post. It's works best if the picture is highly relevant, grabs attention, and owned by you.

2.) Upload it directly to your Facebook page.

3.) Copy and paste the following text into the caption. You should recognize where it is coming from.

Top Ten Things Black People Need To Do Now

When I was a child, the poster listing the Black Panther’s 10-point program seemed to be everywhere. You may have disagreed with their goals or thought they were not realistic, but at least there was an action list that people could respond to. This was not a new idea. Booker T. Washington and WEB Dubois have done similar agendas.

So why am I attempting it? I know I am not nearly the best qualified person to do this. But no one else is doing it. So I figured I would kick off the conversation, in a “from little acorns, mighty trees grow” kind of way.

http://hudlinentertainment.com/top-ten-things-black-people-need-to-do-now/

4.) Post it EXACTLY like that.

5.) Do this for every Hudlin Entertainment Main Page post you do from here on out.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 07:03:49 am »
Trust me. Do this:

1.) Get a picture that best gets to the gist of your "Top Ten Things Black People Need to Do Now" post. It's works best if the picture is highly relevant, grabs attention, and owned by you.

2.) Upload it directly to your Facebook page.

3.) Copy and paste the following text into the caption. You should recognize where it is coming from.

Top Ten Things Black People Need To Do Now

When I was a child, the poster listing the Black Panther’s 10-point program seemed to be everywhere. You may have disagreed with their goals or thought they were not realistic, but at least there was an action list that people could respond to. This was not a new idea. Booker T. Washington and WEB Dubois have done similar agendas.

So why am I attempting it? I know I am not nearly the best qualified person to do this. But no one else is doing it. So I figured I would kick off the conversation, in a “from little acorns, mighty trees grow” kind of way.

http://hudlinentertainment.com/top-ten-things-black-people-need-to-do-now/

4.) Post it EXACTLY like that.

5.) Do this for every Hudlin Entertainment Main Page post you do from here on out.

Great advice.  Will do that now.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 08:24:09 am »
Agreed, great suggestion.
Done and done, sir.

Thanks, Lion!
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 08:48:42 am »
HA!!! Perfect picture!!!

You should get more play out of it both short-term and long-term this way.

Notice that when you posted just the link to the main page last night, it was only shared twice and you got 14 responses, 39 Likes, and 2 shares. I hadn't even seen it (until I went looking) because Facebook filters the feed.

When you posted the photo and attached the link, you got 18 responses, 60 Likes, and 22 shares in just half an hour. It's easier to see and people love to share photos.

The BEST part, though, is that the photo is now archived on your FB page. You can very easily go look at (and possibly respond to) the shares ANYTIME. You could even mess with people's heads and drop a comment/response on complete stranger's shares. Every time someone new comes to your FB page, they can look at your uploaded photos (which are relatively sparse) and they'll get a link directly to your manifesto and maybe start it all over again.

On another note... Mom loves your list. You should have heard her cackling.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 09:02:32 am »
Agreed, great suggestion.
Done and done, sir.

Thanks, Lion!

Hey... Glad to do my part!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 10:32:58 am »
That's a very positive indicator.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:43:07 am »
HA!!! Perfect picture!!!

You should get more play out of it both short-term and long-term this way.

Notice that when you posted just the link to the main page last night, it was only shared twice and you got 14 responses, 39 Likes, and 2 shares. I hadn't even seen it (until I went looking) because Facebook filters the feed.

When you posted the photo and attached the link, you got 18 responses, 60 Likes, and 22 shares in just half an hour. It's easier to see and people love to share photos.

The BEST part, though, is that the photo is now archived on your FB page. You can very easily go look at (and possibly respond to) the shares ANYTIME. You could even mess with people's heads and drop a comment/response on complete stranger's shares. Every time someone new comes to your FB page, they can look at your uploaded photos (which are relatively sparse) and they'll get a link directly to your manifesto and maybe start it all over again.

I was observing the same phenomenon.  And I did just that.  Even though the response has been huge, and 99% positive, I finally read a comment with a concern over one point.  So I addressed with the person right away.  It was great!

Offline coinednikki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 01:32:28 pm »
Greetings!

I often wonder why many things don't go viral. An activist by the name of Danette Chavis has been trying to spread the word for many years, but up until recently has had minimal exposure. Then she did a video and that's where I discovered her, and how she received a whopping 34,000 signatures on her petition  in the span of a few short months. /I guess the key is to make a video. Reading has become a rare talent.

Your article breaks down the fundamental issues that every black person faces, and simplifies it. Eloquent. I found number 3 to resonate because when trying to support each other to increase our power, theres an unspoken competition that almost paralyzes our progress. The crab in a barrel metaphor. And to point out how new our freedom is... I look for a leader daily, one who brings about SYSTEMATIC change, because our plight didn't happen over night. Men like Jay Z who have the power to keep an audience glued to his EVERY word can say what you say and have the people in meetings over night. So I commend you for spreading the word. And I will share for it needs to be heard.

Thankyou for the deep words Mr. Hudlin!

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 01:39:29 pm »
Had an idea for Instagram. Got a better idea while driving. I'll mention it later. Either way, I'm done hijacking the thread. Enjoy the discussion!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:03:43 pm by Lion »

Offline Michael Jewett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 02:53:49 pm »
  There's plenty to digest here. I'm with you all the way on all ten points. The two that really jumped out at me were #'s 3 {embracing diversity} and 9 {reconnecting with nature}. Point Eight was the least clear to me. I get it, I hear you...I think that could be fleshed out more.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 05:17:30 pm »
Lion, you're not hijacking, you're elevating, and I can't wait to hear your ideas! 

Michael, this thread is for fleshing out ideas further.  What more did you want to talk about with #8?

Offline Michael Jewett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 05:53:19 pm »

Re: Point/Pilar #8

Maybe just not selling out...PERIOD. It's not just short money. It's that integrity, principles, etc are for sale at all. I know I may sound...IDK...naive or idealistic; but maybe the core of that point is about standing on principles.

Let me put this way...every other point is a home run/touchdown. I think you just nailed it. I get every point. I clearly understand what each is about. Point 8 is the only one that seems a little slim {comparatively}. 

Offline mayabaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 07:31:14 pm »
Reggie, you have certainly started the discussion with your manifesto.  Kudos to you for having the courage to speak on those items and areas that we tend to be afraid of.  It never ceases to amaze me that everyone is quick to reach conclusions before obtaining the facts, so your 1st requirement of doing and improving our critical thinking skills is a must.
Keep it up and collectively, we may be able to change the world or at least this country for the better!!