Author Topic: MUST READ: The Hudlin Manifesto on the main page  (Read 6712 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: MUST READ: The Hudlin Manifesto on the main page
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 09:12:28 pm »

Re: Point/Pilar #8

Maybe just not selling out...PERIOD. It's not just short money. It's that integrity, principles, etc are for sale at all. I know I may sound...IDK...naive or idealistic; but maybe the core of that point is about standing on principles.

Let me put this way...every other point is a home run/touchdown. I think you just nailed it. I get every point. I clearly understand what each is about. Point 8 is the only one that seems a little slim {comparatively}.
Aha!  Now I gotcha. Let me explain my thinking. 

Shouting "no sellout!" is pretty cliche and I don't think it penetrates peoples' thinking, because they know if they are financially desperate enough, or if there's an offer so tempting they can't refuse, they will sell out.  Also, the very definition of term is confusing because what exactly does selling out mean?  Does it mean betraying some political principles that you may or may not fundamentally believe in?  Or simply betraying your own belief system?

But selling out for short money is, by anyone's account, a sucker move.  No one respects that.  Waaaaay too many black people selling out for chump change.  If there were a bunch of multi millionaires who sold out, that be one thing.  But when I look at the athletes, businessmen and creative types that have earned a bunch of money, I see them all earning it. 

Is Clarence Thomas a sell out?  Or does he actually believe what he says?  Is Ward Connerly, who destroyed Affirmative Action in California, stinking rich somewhere?  I don't know.  I just don't see the upside being worth it. 

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 09:14:16 pm »
All right... The Instagram idea. Yeah, I know. It's long.

Warning: Unlike with Facebook, this is a more "pace out and unfold" type of thing. The benefit, though, is that you'll be able to use it to focus discussion on different parts of The Hudlin Manifesto.

PHASE ONE:

1.) Go to Instagram and Edit your Profile. Change the website from "www.hudlinentertainment.com" to "http://hudlinentertainment.com/top-ten-things-black-people-need-to-do-now/"

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but Instagram only allows clickable links in the profile. Most Instagram members use phones. By doing it this way, they only have to tap the link and BAM they're at your post. (Otherwise, they could only type the link by hand. They aren't going to do it.)

2.) Upload the same picture you have on your FB post to Instagram. Looking at it, I think it should crop just fine. Don't mess with the filters.

3.) Copy and Paste the following to the caption:

Top Ten Things Black People Need To Do Now

When I was a child, the poster listing the Black Panther’s 10-point program seemed to be everywhere. You may have disagreed with their goals or thought they were not realistic, but at least there was an action list that people could respond to. This was not a new idea. Booker T. Washington and WEB Dubois have done similar agendas.

So why am I attempting it? I know I am not nearly the best qualified person to do this. But no one else is doing it. So I figured I would kick off the conversation, in a “from little acorns, mighty trees grow” kind of way.

http://hudlinentertainment.com/top-ten-things-black-people-need-to-do-now/

THE LINK IS IN PROFILE! Just click!

4.) Pick out about 10-12 Hashtags and Copy/Paste them at the bottom of your caption. Instagram relies WAY more on hashtags than Facebook. I suggest using a mix of words that describe what you do (or you think the audience you already have will look for) with words relevant to the post. Hashtags - like the link in your profile - are clickable. You can probably get away with a few more; just don't go overboard. For this post, I'll throw out:

#Hudlin #Film #Movie #Manifesto #HudlinManifesto #Education #Power #Diversity #Multicultural #SocialChange #Black #African #Religion #Family #Love

5.) IMPORTANT: Feed this picture to Twitter, but NOT Facebook. When Instagram shares to Twitter, it will include a link back to Instagram (which you want). When Instagram shares to Facebook, it will post the picture and the caption EXACTLY as you post it on Instagram (which you DO NOT want). Any more than two hashtags does NOT play out well on Facebook.

PHASE TWO: This is a bit more involved/tedious.

1.) For each item on your blog post, create a picture specifically for Instagram. I'm going to use item number two for an example. Here's the text you want ACTUALLY IN your picture.

"Don't FIGHT the Power; BE the Power!"

#HudlinManifesto

If you can swing it, I'd include a picture of something/someone (like Mandela) behind the text. The challenge is making sure the text AND the picture are clear. Keep the Hashtag in there so someone else doesn't up and yank your picture. It'll probably happen anyway, but if they keep the #HudlinManifesto tag in there, it might at least lead back to you.

2.) In the caption, lay out the rest of what you have under that section in the post. Depending on how long it is, you MAY want to abbreviate it. For "Don't Fight the Power; Be the Power!" I'd use something like:

Black Americans have only had full rights as citizens for a short time…essentially since 1964. I am in the first generation of black people to basically have been born free. And even with that, our fundamental rights are constantly under attack.

But even in the face of that, we have to reject victimhood, take charge and be the boss. We helped build this country. We have access to tremendous capital and resources. We are politically crucial and there is literally nothing but our own insecurities stopping us from assuming great power.

http://hudlinentertainment.com/top-ten-things-black-people-need-to-do-now/

THE LINK IS IN THE PROFILE! Just click!

#Hudlin #Manifesto #HudlinManifesto #Film #Movie #Black #African #Power #Success #SelfDetermination #Uplift #Diversity

Note that I used different Hashtags here than I did in the one above. This particular item is focused more, so you'll hopefully pull anyone looking specifically for that theme. And if they click the link in your profile, it will take them directly to your post.

3.) Have Instagram feed it to Twitter as well. I figure in general, it is just better to feed as much as you can to Twitter. (You could probably use the same pictures on Facebook. Just upload it separately; Don't let Instagram feed it to Facebook. Personally, I think that first picture you posted to Facebook is doing the job and you don't want anymore splitting the discussion.)

4.) IMPORTANT: With ten items, I think you want to space out these particular posts to maybe 2-3 a week tops. In between them, you should post at least 2-3 pictures from other areas of your life. Dinner with Sidney Poitier. Announcement about Image Awards show. A picture of your dog dressed up like Static Shock. Curtis's original framed Charles Mingus pamphlet on kitty-toilet-training. Stuff like that. Cool-type stuff like you're sharing on Facebook from other people all the time.

The big thing is that you don't want Instagram to feel like your pushing the Hudlin Manifesto all the time. Basically break it up a bit.

5.) IMPORTANT 2: If you change focus on the blog away from The Hudlin Manifesto, don't forget to A.) update the link in the Instagram profile so it goes to the new blog post and B.) Edit the older Instagram pics to remove "THE LINK IS IN THE PROFILE! Just Click!" You'll still have the link spelled out in the "old" individual IG pics, they just won't be able to tap it.

Check out Lewis Howes' Instagram page. He doesn't do it exactly like I suggested, but I think he's got a pretty good balance between his theme and the other stuff.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 09:18:32 pm »
Again, great stuff.  You can tell I have taken on my instagram page, since I have never posted anything. Which is bad, since it's the hot social media platform now.  But I will plunge in with these directions.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 05:19:31 am »
I stepped out of my comfort zone for this one.  But it had to be done so I did it.  Please click over, read it, and tell me what you think.

LOVE IT!

Excited about the way the manifesto was curated.

Love Lion's suggestions!
Love it your OPENNESS to implementing the suggestions!

Love it that the manifesto appears to be going viral.

Appreciating the nod to Outdoor Afro (ESPECIALLY your direct response to Rue Mapp, the founder)

Thank you for stepping out of your "comfort zone" and posting this.
It had to be done.
The conversation has started.

Thank you, Reg.
It's brilliant and so are YOU!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 06:36:26 am »

hm. Congratulations, and I will spread the word about this blog immediately.

First, my ICMG resources are available to generate this platform as an organization in any region HEF members want to use it.

Second, who on this thread would want to present this information in a public forum to organize local institutions to move forward?

Third, Reg, I can hire you for a keynote in 3-5 cities on this topic for the next year. Would you be interested?

There's more, but I need to hear responses.

Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 09:16:13 am »

First, my ICMG resources are available to generate this platform as an organization in any region HEF members want to use it.

Second, who on this thread would want to present this information in a public forum to organize local institutions to move forward?

Third, Reg, I can hire you for a keynote in 3-5 cities on this topic for the next year. Would you be interested?

Yes, I would do that.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 04:14:55 pm »

All right. I know it will sound weird, but I'll bite...

What could I - a person with no business or organizational background whatsoever - contribute? What concrete actions could I take? Sure, I could go around to various organizations and talk to people, but what could I say to them beyond "Check out this blog"? I feel there needs to be something meatier than a "WE NEED TO DO THIS!" before they'll weigh in.

Of course, having just looked through your website, I suspect you know exactly what needs to happen and are sitting on the idea to see who is going to get down and dirty.

What are you thinking? Traveling symposium? Videos? Conferences? (All wild guesses.)

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 11:32:51 am »

All right. I know it will sound weird, but I'll bite...

What could I - a person with no business or organizational background whatsoever - contribute? What concrete actions could I take? Sure, I could go around to various organizations and talk to people, but what could I say to them beyond "Check out this blog"? I feel there needs to be something meatier than a "WE NEED TO DO THIS!" before they'll weigh in.

Of course, having just looked through your website, I suspect you know exactly what needs to happen and are sitting on the idea to see who is going to get down and dirty.

What are you thinking? Traveling symposium? Videos? Conferences? (All wild guesses.)

Not weird at all, Lion.
I'm interested as well.

I already lead the Atlanta chapter of Outdoor Afros and speak on behalf of the Diverse Environmental Leaders Network & Speakers' Bureau (addressing item #9 in the Hudlin Manifesto).  I would be delighted to expand my efforts.
I be even more delighted to see all of us embodying these principles and sharing them with the world.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 06:40:12 am »
Yes, I would do that.
[/quote]

Let me know the best way to coordinate the details.

Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 06:45:23 am »

Thanks so much for visiting my site. No matter what your background, you have strengths and experiences to develop into strategies, tactics, and organizations to inspire others.

If you send me a message on this site, or through my page, we can start a detailed conversation about how your skills and knowledge can advance the agenda that Reggie offered on his blog.

Symposia, videos, and conferences are all options, but there are many more, too.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 06:48:29 am »

I already lead the Atlanta chapter of Outdoor Afros and speak on behalf of the Diverse Environmental Leaders Network & Speakers' Bureau (addressing item #9 in the Hudlin Manifesto).  I would be delighted to expand my efforts.
I be even more delighted to see all of us embodying these principles and sharing them with the world.

There's a major opportunity in Atlanta at the ASALH conference this September. I'm already coordinating one community project during the conference - it would be great to work with both Outdoor Afros and DELNSB on another one.

In terms of embodying the principles and sharing them, I completely agree. Once we pull something solid together, there are outlets everywhere who are interested in learning about this kind of work.

Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Доверяй, но проверяй