Author Topic: STAR WARS COMICS  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
STAR WARS COMICS
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:22:42 pm »
Man I am enjoying them all! 

Star Wars, Darth Vader and Princess Leia are all worthy sequels to the classic films.

I never read the previous Marvel or Dark Horse books so I have no comparison.

But man I am enjoying these books.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: STAR WARS COMICS
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:02:39 pm »
Can't wait for the Star Wars Lando Comic to come out!

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 04:20:27 pm »
I haven't really gotten into the Marvel Star Wars comics yet. I might pick up the trades for the main Star Wars book and Darth Vader. I did buy #1s for Star Wars, Vader, and Leia. I'm also going to check out the Lando comic.

But RH and anyone else I highly recommend you check out the Dark Horse books. Marvel is reprinting some.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55121

Some I recommend:
Knights of the Old Republic: Which takes place before the video game and takes place about 3,000 or so years before the original trilogy.
Dark Times: Which takes place between Episodes III and IV.
Legacy, Volumes 1 and 2: Legacy takes place over a hundred years after ROTJ. The first volume ran 50 something issues and the second one was unfortunately cut short due to Star Wars comics going back to Marvel.
Agent of the Empire: Really cool original trilogy era series that was Star Wars meets James Bond.
Republic: Covered the Clone Wars era. One of the main characters was Jedi Quinlan Vos, a man torn between the light and the dark. Vos also had an omnibus,
Quinlan Vos: Jedi in Darkness. Vos was a bad ass Jedi who will also been an upcoming novel.
Purge: I don't know if these were ever collected in one single volume, though I do Marvel is reprinting some of these stories. They are all about Vader hunting down the Jedi.
Vader and the Lost Command and Vader and the Ghost Prison: I thought both of these were good stories focusing on Vader and salvaging his post-prequel stature.
Darth Maul: Death Sentence: Really nice comic which is tied to the Clone Wars cartoon. It also features a prominent black (I'm assuming) Jedi.
Star Wars: Brian Wood's truncated series that focused on Princess Leia, giving her some well deserved shine.
Star Wars Empire: Betrayal: The original trilogy era. Let's just say not everyone is happy with Palpatine's rule.
Star Wars: Rebellion Volume 2: The Ahakista Gambit. Not one of my favorites, however this is one of the few Star Wars comics to have a black lead, Wyl Tarson. And if I recall he's not a Jedi, so it's likely him and Lando who are the only black non-Jedi characters who have been main characters.

If you want to go old school Dark Horse I recommend:
Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empire's End. This is a nice post-ROTJ trilogy. Empire's End wasn't the greatest conclusion, but if you're already two books in why not finish it up.
Crimson Empire I: I thought this was a pretty badass story about an Imperial Guard who seeks revenge on all those he feels betrayed Palpatine. Crimson Empire II and III weren't as good IMO.
Sith War: Chronologically takes place before the Knights of the Old Republic series. First appearance-to my knowledge-of the double bladed light saber. Sorry Darth Maul fans, but he didn't have the weapon first.

If you were also interested in Star Wars novels I have some recommendations for that too. But I can save that for later.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:23:49 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 11:59:57 am »
There's only 1 reason why anyone might wanna check out the original MARVEL Star Wars run in the mid-1970s...

--- Carmine Infantino!

10 years ago, I began to appreciate his work more and more.  Love the way he draws women.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:44:26 pm »
Been reading some of the newer Marvel Star Wars comics (graphic novels mainly)

-Darth Vader, Volume 1: I thought this was the best of the bunch. Good artwork, some interesting supporting characters. If you are a Vader fan I recommend.
-Star Wars, Volume 1: I thought this book captured the spirit of the post-ANH scene pretty well. I thought Han and Leia bickered too much for my taste though. But artwork, character depictions, I thought both were good.
-Prince Leia: This was an alright series to me. I think the Dark Horse Brian Wood Leia-centric Star Wars series was better and covered some similar territory.
-Shattered Empire: Avoid this one. While the artwork is good, the story was too small and unimportant. It didn't really do a great job seeding you with clues-recognizable ones anyway-for Force Awakens.

I've read individual issues of the following:
-Lando: Nice start. I'll pick up the trade.
-Chewbacca: Wasn't overly impressed with the first issue. Artwork was good. But I think I'll skip.
-Kanan: The Last Padawan: I read roughly the first arc of this series and was pleasantly surprised. I'm not that big on Kanan from what I've seen of him on the Rebels cartoon. But this series takes place at the close of the Clone Wars and I thought it did a good job fleshing him out more.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Friends of the JLI
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 07:54:51 pm »
Star Wars and Vader have been fantastic, and I really didn't see that coming. Lando was a lot of fun, too. Chewbacca has been ok and I wasn't really a fan of Leia.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 05:48:49 am »
Recently read volume 2 of the Darth Vader comic. Artwork is still good, but the story didn't quite grab me. Vader is forced to team up with this inspector who is he has to keep one step ahead of and it just feels sort of a small thing for Vader to do.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 05:52:24 am »
I propose that Mr. Reggie get to write a Star Wars mini, something really cool with a showcase of Lando in particular--  ;)
(knowledgeable heads will remember that Mr. Williams was in The Ladies Man film)...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 10:51:12 am »
There's only 1 reason why anyone might wanna check out the original MARVEL Star Wars run in the mid-1970s...

--- Carmine Infantino!

10 years ago, I began to appreciate his work more and more.  Love the way he draws women.
Loved Carmine since I was a kid.  He and Gene Colan had somewhat similar styles to me.