Author Topic: Scandal or House of Cards?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Scandal or House of Cards?
« on: June 17, 2015, 07:04:56 am »
These are two shows where, as time has gone on, I have become increasingly indifferent to the characters.  I am always a year behind on Scandal, however, as I watch it on Netflix. I felt that the last season I watched, (SPOILER) where she left on the plane, would have been an appropriate ending to the series. (My memory for the details is vague at this point as I watched that season many months ago ... but I do recall my feeling). As to House of Cards, I find the major characters to be a repulsive jackass (Frank) and a narcissistic moron (Claire). Hardly making me feel the need binge on the episodes. 
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: Scandal or House of Cards?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 10:59:59 am »
As much as I like HoC, Scandal is a little more enjoyable imho.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:08:09 pm »
Great hard choice, Michael, but your side by side quotes are amazing. 

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:55:01 pm »
Funny, I've had those quotes forever (well, over a year or more).  Nobody ever commented or noticed before. I think they are rather universal in application, and I have to admit I was amusing myself with the side-by-side.

What prompted me to do this hard choice of Scandal vs. House of Cards is that I was thinking about Sense8 and my strong feelings toward it and its characters vs. Scandal or House of Cards.  Also since there are long delays between my watching Netflix seasons, I found myself confusing some of smaller details between the shows, haha. But really, I remember feeling kind of blaaa or yuck as to the characters in both (a lot that is just not sympathetic).  So that if in a final episode a comet were to crash into the earth and bash them to smithereens, my reaction would be "ohhhhh well ... 😏"

Oh but I guess if I had to pick, I would choose Scandal over House of Cards, because at least it has not (so far) actively irritated me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:57:54 pm by michaelintp »
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:46:26 am »
Oh but I guess if I had to pick, I would choose Scandal over House of Cards, because at least it has not (so far) actively irritated me.

The Olivia/Fitz "relationship" irritates the hell outta me.  That would be my only gripe.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 12:48:11 pm »
Marv, you're right about that. I find it more really stupid, and ... um ... debasing and immoral. There are things that get on my nerves in both shows and feel no emotional attachment to the characters. Arggg. Just my personal subjective reaction.
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6