Author Topic: Moving - Need Advice  (Read 2394 times)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Moving - Need Advice
« on: July 06, 2015, 05:39:20 pm »
After more than 10 years in the DC area, I'm heading home to CT in a few weeks (yay new job). I've got a lot of crap to move and am trying to find a moving company that's not gonna break the bank but still be reliable. Has anyone here moved recently? If so, I need your wisdom!! Some of these quotes just seem nuts and I'm buying a condo up there, so I'd prefer not to go broke after using a moving service ;D

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Moving - Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 03:03:54 pm »
Congratz JLI Jesse!
That's great news!

Regarding moving, I think companies charge by the pound, so REDUCE the "lot of crap" that you're moving to ONLY THE ESSENTIALS.  That'll save you a boat-load of money right there!
Consider giving away some of stuff to the two dudes with a truck that are willing to move you to CT for a reasonable price.
Seriously.
Get your friends and family  on each end to help upload and off-load.  Beer and pizza?
Buy your own insurance for transporter that moves your things.
Good Luck!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: Moving - Need Advice
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 04:08:22 pm »
Pack and box EVERYTHING!

Personal experience I take my own expensive stuff.  Check for nicks and scratches while and after the moving peeps are still there.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."