Author Topic: Silver Bullet reviews BP #23  (Read 2723 times)

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Silver Bullet reviews BP #23
« on: January 20, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »
Black Panther #23

Posted: Friday, January 19
By: Caryn A. Tate
Print This Item

Writer: Reginald Hudlin
Artists: Koi Turnbull (p), J.D. Smith (colors), Don Ho, Sal Regla, & Jeff De Los Santos (inks)

Publisher: Marvel Comics

My favorite thing about this installment of Black Panther is that Mr. Hudlin has figured out a way to have current and relevant social commentary without hitting the reader over the head with it.

In issue #23, Black Panther and Storm begin to immerse themselves in the United States’ “Civil War.” After visiting several different key players in the war, T’Challa seems to have made his decision about which side he feels an allegiance to. His closest advisors back in Wakanda also have words with him about involving himself in this spat in the States, and the Black Panther is forced to make even more tough decisions and to think about what ideals are the most important to him.

I love the way Mr. Hudlin writes this character. He’s a strong, noble man of principle. He doesn’t back down from a fight that he believes in, but he doesn’t senselessly go seeking a fight in an effort to prove something, either. He’s smart, capable, fair, and balanced. What a great way to convey that this character is truly a hero.

The bad guys in this issue are not always clear-cut, and they’re not always the customary “super villains” that most of us are accustomed to seeing in superhero comics. Rather, the bad guys here are, often, corporate suits or the folks who have been manipulated by them. Personally, I applaud the fact that Mr. Hudlin and company aren’t afraid to address the corruption that lies behind so many of the everyday frustrations in American society. No matter what your political leanings may be, this chapter of Black Panther is pertinent and interesting, and it’s a perfect example of how superhero comics can, and should, work. They don’t need to always be just adventure stories. While simple adventure stories are great, superheroes can also make wonderful, significant statements about people and society.

Another testament to Mr. Hudlin’s great work is the fact that I haven’t read a single other comic that is involved in Marvel’s Civil War. When I first learned that Black Panther was going to have some involvement in this huge event, I was disappointed, and I thought it might lead to my not reading those issues of the book. But to my surprise, I’m still reading the title despite its involvement, and I admire the fact that the creators have made it easy to continue to read the title without being lost because of the event’s influence.

The only reason I can’t give this issue a higher rating is the art. I was enjoying Manuel Garcia’s pencils quite a bit, and while I see talent in Mr. Turnbull’s pencils, they are just not to my taste, at least not on this book. The detail in each panel seems lost, and I miss the intensity that Mr. Garcia used to impart on this book.

With this issue, Black Panther continues its run of excellence, and I look forward to picking up this book next time. It’s a rare treat to read such insightful writing combined with great characterization.

-------------------------
4 bullets by the way.

Jenn

Re: Silver Bullet reviews BP #23
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 03:33:01 pm »
And it was written by a woman! HAHAHAHAHA TAKE THAT FEMINAZIS!!! Got a link?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:46:13 pm by Jenn »

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:32:29 pm »

Jenn

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:58:45 am »
No, I want to post the link and gloat. YOU KNOW HOW I DO!!!!