Author Topic: Strange Fruit?  (Read 9432 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Strange Fruit?
« on: July 11, 2015, 02:36:45 pm »
Really liked the first issue.  Really did.  The end was like ohmydayum. Anyone else get their hands on this. Flame me below!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/strange-fruit-1-boom-studios-2015

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: Strange Fruit?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 05:33:25 pm »
The J.G Jones art is fantastic!

MAJOR SPOILERS!!

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 05:40:45 pm »
I likes!

;D

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 08:55:03 am »
Sold out at one LCS, managed to put it on hold at another!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 02:17:00 pm »
Bro. Marvelous,
Some folk (not ME) are already complaining and condemning(evn the lettering) this book, based on just ONE issue:

http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2015/07/08/the-white-privilege-white-audacity-and-white-priorities-of-strange-fruit-1/

http://www.geekedoutnation.com/comic-book-review-strange-fruit-1/

On FB's Milestone page, one jackoff called me an "Uncle Tom" because I dared to have a different opinion of this book then most of the herd there. Can't wait until issue #2.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 02:25:10 pm »
Bro. Marvelous,
Some folk (not ME) are already complaining and condemning(evn the lettering) this book, based on just ONE issue:

http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2015/07/08/the-white-privilege-white-audacity-and-white-priorities-of-strange-fruit-1/

http://www.geekedoutnation.com/comic-book-review-strange-fruit-1/

On FB's Milestone page, one jackoff called me an "Uncle Tom" because I dared to have a different opinion of this book then most of the herd there. Can't wait until issue #2.

Yea bro I know, I've read quite a bit about it.  I have more coming in let me know if you can't get your hands on any, Kimoyo.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 05:13:37 pm »
Will do Marvelous, thanks!  Amazed at the finality of criticisms after just one issue?  Now I can't wait to read it.  The art is phenomenal!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 12:19:44 pm »
I didn't even know about this book until the owner of the shop I go to, threw his last copy in my box; thinking I'd be interested. Finally read it last night; YIKES!

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 09:15:46 pm »
Well, I wish I could have read this without knowing as much as I knew before opening it, but curiosity got the better of me and I read the scathing denouncement of the book by J. Micheline and several of the comments before I was able to get ahold of Strange Fruit #1.  I did however, find the overwhelmingly damning review informative, providing a somewhat helpful context.  Nevertheless, I liked the book.

S P O I L E R S ! ! !

I read it trying to block out the criticisms and the knowledge of who wrote the book, "listening" to determine if it sounded authentic to me.  It did, for as much as I could actually know having only consumed other interpretations of idioms, diction and early 20th century life in the U.S.

To me, Jones & Waid telling this story is different than them being assigned to write an existing hero of color, instead of that opportunity going to a writer of color.  First, it is a story they conceived.  Second, despite the presence of what appears to be a black protagonist (he's extraterrestrial) we don't yet know who or whom the intended focus of the story is? 

Suffice to say, there are both black and white, original characters from a turbulent period in American history, already offering, and promising to offer even more, provocative narrative which will undoubtedly tick off many.  Perhaps me too yet, I had to ask myself, if I had an original story to tell about white people interacting with blacks during a controversial period in history, would I accept the notion that I should not tell that story because I am not white?

My two cents.

Peace,

Mont

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 05:35:10 pm »
Suffice to say, there are both black and white, original characters from a turbulent period in American history, already offering, and promising to offer even more, provocative narrative which will undoubtedly tick off many.  Perhaps me too yet, I had to ask myself, if I had an original story to tell about white people interacting with blacks during a controversial period in history, would I accept the notion that I should not tell that story because I am not white?

“If there's a book that you want to read and it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” –Nobel prize-winning author Toni Morrison

Tell YOUR story/stories. F#%k what anyone may say about them, if the story is true to YOU, that's all that matters.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 04:22:22 pm »
Way I see it too.  I remember that quote.  Quite apropos  Thanks!

Peace,

Mont

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 07:30:38 am »
Im trying to avoid the reviews. So what is the premise? From the looks of it, it appears as if it is an Icon clone of a storyline
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 02:18:09 pm »
Could be?  Very close, but only for comparatively very little revealed thus far.

Peace,

Mont

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 06:53:12 pm »

“If there's a book that you want to read and it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” –Nobel prize-winning author Toni Morrison

Tell YOUR story/stories. F#%k what anyone may say about them, if the story is true to YOU, that's all that matters.

I don't disagree with that quote, however I also think its a cop out. So people aren't supposed to have an opinion? People aren't supposed to critically look at what they read and critique or review it? Heck some of this stuff might even help the writers see things that they didn't see themselves.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 04:14:32 am »
Hey EJ, long time!

That's not what I get from that quote or Kristopher's follow.  Opinion and critiques should be givens, but a concern over them should not preempt an artist's earnest attempt to share his/her vision.

I completely agree critical review can help an artist discover things they hadn't considered.

Peace,

Mont