Author Topic: The Iran Nuclear Deal - A Primer  (Read 8910 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
The Iran Nuclear Deal - A Primer
« on: July 17, 2015, 05:43:32 am »
Here are a couple of pretty good background pieces on the deal from the New York Times:

The Iran Nuclear Deal – A Simple Guide

An atomic bomb can be made from two types of radioactive materials: uranium or plutonium. The talks were aimed at curbing Iran’s ability to put these two elements to use in weapons. In each case, the manufacturing starts with uranium ore.

Uranium mined from the earth is less than 1 percent U-235, the isotope that can be used to fuel reactors and make bombs. Centrifuges are needed to separate the U-235 from the rest of the uranium, in a process called enrichment. The other fuel that can be used to make a bomb, plutonium, is made by irradiating uranium in a nuclear reactor. The process transforms some of the uranium into plutonium.

Complete article here

And

Who Got What They Wanted in the Iran Nuclear Deal
Critics in the United States and Iran have complained that their representatives were too eager to make a deal and, as a result, have made too many concessions. Here is a look at what the two sides wanted, and what they got.

Complete article here
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
Re: The Iran Nuclear Deal - A Primer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 01:57:42 pm »

Brokering a lasting peace between Iran, Europe, and the United States has unimaginable benefits.
This last month in national and world history is unprecedented.

Two weeks ago, I wrote that the twenty-first century had finally begun. Now, it seems that it may be more appropriate to describe this moment as the beginning of humanity's eighth millennium.

Dr. Walter Greason
School of Education
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:27:25 pm »
Now huckleberry (the evil Jim Nabors) is using the 'Holocaust tactic' to rebuttal the Iran Nuclear deal instead of offering real alternative solutions as to how to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

Let's observe how long the drama queen can last.

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:35:21 pm »

Brokering a lasting peace between Iran, Europe, and the United States has unimaginable benefits.
This last month in national and world history is unprecedented.

Two weeks ago, I wrote that the twenty-first century had finally begun. Now, it seems that it may be more appropriate to describe this moment as the beginning of humanity's eighth millennium.

Enlightened beyond words.

https://youtu.be/WANNqr-vcx0

8)
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:48:48 am »

Rollin'

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 04:39:43 am »

The strength of those committed to peace and diplomacy stirs hope for a better world.
Dr. Walter Greason
School of Education
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 07:25:58 pm »

The strength of those committed to peace and diplomacy stirs hope for a better world.

I wish that were true. I disagree. I believe what we are living through now is the prelude to a horrific war.  A war that will produce unimaginable casualties.

This is grounds for despair, not hope.

Welcome to the "eigth millennium" of humanity.  Much like those that preceded it, only much worse, absent a miracle.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:37:53 pm by michaelintp »
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:26:06 am »
I wish that were true. I disagree. I believe what we are living through now is the prelude to a horrific war.  A war that will produce unimaginable casualties.
Welcome to the "eigth millennium" of humanity.  Much like those that preceded it, only much worse, absent a miracle.

Strongly disagree.

I believe this country is already in a state of a 'horrific' perpetual war for profit, only, the average American is not spared a dime.

All wars are horrible.

This deal is intended to break the cycle of perpetual war and if this deal doesn't go through, the entire world will know exactly whom to blame for that.    :)

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:06:49 am »

Strongly disagree.

I believe this country is already in a state of a 'horrific' perpetual war for profit, only, the average American is not spared a dime.

All wars are horrible.

This deal is intended to break the cycle of perpetual war and if this deal doesn't go through, the entire world will know exactly whom to blame for that.    :)

"The entire world will know exactly whom to blame."  Whom are you referring to, Battle?  Why the tip-toeing?  Why don't you openly say what you mean?

All wars are terrible, for those who suffer, but there are orders of magnitude.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:54:10 am by michaelintp »
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 10:43:59 am »
This is very likely a waste of my time but...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/05/morbid-marco-rubio-asks-america-is-it-safe.html

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-23/world-actually-safer-ever-and-heres-data-prove

http://reason.com/blog/2014/06/12/obama-the-world-is-less-violent-than-it

Things aren't perfect but there is plenty of statistical data that indicate that on world chaos and war front things suck considerably less than they did in past decades.

However, it's not like the MSM is going to ever tell you that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:48:13 am by Vic Vega »

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 12:43:50 pm »

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/05/morbid-marco-rubio-asks-america-is-it-safe.html

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-23/world-actually-safer-ever-and-heres-data-prove

Things aren't perfect but there is plenty of statistical data that indicate that on world chaos and war front things suck considerably less than they did in past decades.

Vic, things are better ... until they're not.

Of course there have been advancements, particularly on the technological front, that have over time been helpful to millions upon millions of people. The problem with technological advancements is that they can also be used to cause great harm -- and that can happen in a flash.

At the moment, there are no HUGE WARS taking place.  This does not mean, however, that one should ignore what is taking place, what is building up and occurring, with the global Jihadist movement, with ISIS, and with Iran and its proxies (including their open calls for genocide). As well as other geopolitical trends (with Russia, for example). I believe to do so would be delusional.  It is a shame that this has become so partisan (as reflected in the first article you cited, an article that is a far cry from objective journalism).

So yes, technological and other advancements can be helpful, until they are not.  Until all hell breaks loose.  To quote the old bumper sticker:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:24:27 pm by michaelintp »
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 08:22:42 am »

Vic, things are better ... until they're not.

Of course there have been advancements, particularly on the technological front, that have over time been helpful to millions upon millions of people. The problem with technological advancements is that they can also be used to cause great harm -- and that can happen in a flash.

At the moment, there are no HUGE WARS taking place.  This does not mean, however, that one should ignore what is taking place, what is building up and occurring, with the global Jihadist movement, with ISIS, and with Iran and its proxies (including their open calls for genocide). As well as other geopolitical trends (with Russia, for example). I believe to do so would be delusional.  It is a shame that this has become so partisan (as reflected in the first article you cited, an article that is a far cry from objective journalism).

So yes, technological and other advancements can be helpful, until they are not.  Until all hell breaks loose.  To quote the old bumper sticker:

So what's your message?
That even though things are demonstrably better, hell is coming? So be afraid?

I'm sorry your crystal ball is so dark. Reminds me a bit of Saruman gazing into his palantir.

I'm pretty sure no one here is advocating against vigilance. But understanding the context presented in the data is useful wouldn't you say.

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 09:32:14 am »
Curtis, my point is that when discussing events in and originating from the Middle East, roseate predictions are likely inaccurate. Recall the thrill expressed some years ago on this Forum over the "Arab Spring."  Mine was the only voice predicting that the end-result would be the empowerment of Jihadists. As in fact occurred. The only thing I didn't predict was that, in Egypt, the military wouldn't stand for it.

So yes, when looking to the future, we must be realistic. Not swayed by wishful thinking, unfounded hopes, or irrelevant statistics (much surrounding positive technological advances) that have no bearing on the real liklihood of war in the future.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:34:00 am by michaelintp »
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 10:11:33 am »
Curtis, my point is that when discussing events in and originating from the Middle East, roseate predictions are likely inaccurate. Recall the thrill expressed some years ago on this Forum over the "Arab Spring."  Mine was the only voice predicting that the end-result would be the empowerment of Jihadists. As in fact occurred. The only thing I didn't predict was that, in Egypt, the military wouldn't stand for it.

So yes, when looking to the future, we must be realistic. Not swayed by wishful thinking, unfounded hopes, or irrelevant statistics (much surrounding positive technological advances) that have no bearing on the real liklihood of war in the future.
None of us have a real crystal ball. I don't trust your projections any more than you probably trust mine. But the data are the data. It says that measurable outcomes, i.e. less death, are down and have been falling for some time. Doesn't mean they will necessarily continue that way nor is anyone making that claim. At least no one here is.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 10:27:46 pm »
This conversation reminds me of Trump campaigning the crime rate, which has been falling for some time.  Not that we don't want to eliminate all crime, but it's important to know the facts of the matter when deciding what is the best direction moving forward.  Same with the Middle East.  I distrust almost all news about the region.  But hard numbers are more plausible.