Author Topic: Ta-Nehisi Coates to write Black Panther.  (Read 16576 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Ta-Nehisi Coates to write Black Panther.
« on: September 22, 2015, 11:10:16 am »
By GEORGE GENE GUSTINES

Ta-Nehisi Coates can be identified in many ways: as a national correspondent for The Atlantic, as an author and, as of this month, as a nominee for the National Book Award’s nonfiction prize. But Mr. Coates also has a not-so-secret identity, as evidenced by some of his Atlantic blog posts and his Twitter feed: Marvel Comics superfan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/books/ta-nehisi-coates-to-write-black-panther-comic-for-marvel.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

Online Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
The New Black Panther Comic Series is Here.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:28:56 am »

A new "Black Panther" series is official at Marvel, with the creative team announced by the New York Times. The book is set to debut this spring, to be written by acclaimed author Ta-Nehisi Coates -- making his comic book debut -- and illustrated by veteran comics artist Brian Stelfreeze.

The initial "Black Panther" arc is described as a "yearlong story line," and is titled "A Nation Under Our Feet," a deliberate reference to the 2003 Steven Hahn book of the same name. The Marvel story is said to "find the hero dealing with a violent uprising in his country set off by a superhuman terrorist group called the People."

This statement has me a little concerned.

Coates cites current Marvel event "Secret Wars" and its writer Jonathan Hickman as an inspiration for his comics work.

None the less I'm excited to see what Coates delivers.

Full article here.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/coates-stelfreeze-launch-marvels-new-black-panther-series

I guess I was too slow on the draw. Vic beat me to it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:35:49 am by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: Ta-Nehisi Coates to write Black Panther.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 11:57:50 am »
No problem. I merged the topics for you.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Online Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 12:16:06 pm »

No problem. I merged the topics for you.

Cool. Here is a link to the New York Times article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/books/ta-nehisi-coates-to-write-black-panther-comic-for-marvel.html?_r=1
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:41:49 pm by Ture »

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 05:40:41 pm »
If this is anything like the hyperbole he lofted onto Kendrick Lamar I'm not encouraged.

I will find it interesting if Reggie takes on a John The Baptist role here.

Offline Moose100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:32:25 pm »
I see the concern bout Hickman. But this is a whole different writer with a clearly different and independent point of view. This the type of thinker that will get the character and his symbolism. The character has excelled the most with a writer with a strong aftocenttic point of view in various ways. That trend to me is encouraging. Think about it.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »
Shamed to say I am not familiar with Coates work.  I am cautiously optimistic by nature, guardedly excited by choice!

Peace,

Mont

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 01:51:33 pm »
I have already gone on other sites where this news broke, to voice my hesitancy with this news. First off, I am not aware of any drama related fictional work Coates has done. He gets applauded by for his book, "Between the World and Me" and gets a plug from John Stewart and all of a sudden he's the go to guy for the plight of Black America for liberals. I think its good his work is getting exposure among people other than black, but the man is essentially a writer for a news paper. What about the black comic book writers with experience in the genre who are already out there? It just seems like Marvel is trying to appease the critics of its lack of diversity in it's writing staff for BP and other comic title characters of color. Besides, no offense intended, but didn't they kind of do that by approaching Reggie back when? Now you saw how the fanboys reacted to Hudlin's "pro-black" T'Challa series. We've all seen how they have deconstructed his work over the years. How in the world do you think they are going to react to Coates? Then again, Coates doesn't mention Hudlin or Priest but is giving props to Hickman (to which most of us here have serious issues with) in the article. Maybe its even more dubious that Marvel picked T. Coates to write the book afterall.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:53:26 pm by The Evasive 1 »

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 04:48:31 pm »
From Grantland:

Ta-Nehisi Coates Is Writing the ‘Black Panther’ Comic for Marvel

September 23, 2015 by Jason Concepcion

The question of how to best reflect an increasingly diverse society is one that the comic book industry has been answering in variously effective fashion. Marvel, in particular, has made admirable strides in widening its traditional cast of heroes. Thor, the Asgardian god of thunder, is now a woman; the mantle of Captain America has been taken up by the Falcon, one of Marvel’s seminal black superheroes; the new Ms. Marvel is a teenage Pakistani Muslim girl from New Jersey; the new “Totally Awesome” Hulk will be the Korean American hyperactive super-genius Amadeus Cho; and the company has been steadily releasing variant covers across its line of titles that are based on iconic hip-hop album covers.

All of these changes are welcome and, importantly, really, really cool. But the process, though no doubt well intentioned, has not been without its unintentionally awkward moments.

Over the summer, Marvel editor Tom Brevoort, who I also believe sincerely cares about diversity, was asked on his blog, “Can you explain why Marvel thinks that doing hip-hop variants is a good idea, when absolutely no announced writers or artists on the new Marvel titles, as of now, are black?” Brevoort replied, glibly, ‘“What does one have to do with the other, really?”

All of which is why the recent announcement that author and Atlantic columnist Ta-Nehisi Coates will be writing Marvel’s upcoming Black Panther series feels so important.

Marvel has brought in big-name outside writers before, of course. Lost cocreator Damon Lindelof wrote Marvel’s chronically, almost absurdly behind-schedule Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk. Joss Whedon’s run on (the also always-behind-schedule) Astonishing X-Men was, in my opinion, the best self-contained X-Men arc ever. Kevin Smith was famously brought in to write Daredevil (Ben Affleck wrote the introduction to the trade paperback collection of Smith’s arc). But those were all fiction writers. Coates’s work is firmly rooted in the nonfiction realm.

Coates is, for those who may be unfamiliar, one of the most important and wide-reaching voices on the subject of race in America. His recent no. 1 New York Times best-selling book, Between the World and Me, an exploration of what it means to be black in America written as a bracing letter to his son, has been called “required reading” by Toni Morrison. His work at The Atlantic — specifically his copiously researched and irresistibly argued essays about reparations and mass incarceration — have illuminated the structural underpinnings, and historical roots, of racism for an entire generation of Internet-connected readers. He has also written and talked about his unabashed love of nerd sh*t — Dungeons & Dragons, video games, and Marvel Comics.

Complete article here
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 06:51:22 pm »
I have already gone on other sites where this news broke, to voice my hesitancy with this news. First off, I am not aware of any drama related fictional work Coates has done. He gets applauded by for his book, "Between the World and Me" and gets a plug from John Stewart and all of a sudden he's the go to guy for the plight of Black America for liberals. I think its good his work is getting exposure among people other than black, but the man is essentially a writer for a news paper. What about the black comic book writers with experience in the genre who are already out there? It just seems like Marvel is trying to appease the critics of its lack of diversity in it's writing staff for BP and other comic title characters of color. Besides, no offense intended, but didn't they kind of do that by approaching Reggie back when? Now you saw how the fanboys reacted to Hudlin's "pro-black" T'Challa series. We've all seen how they have deconstructed his work over the years. How in the world do you think they are going to react to Coates? Then again, Coates doesn't mention Hudlin or Priest but is giving props to Hickman (to which most of us here have serious issues with) in the article. Maybe its even more dubious that Marvel picked T. Coates to write the book afterall.

I share some of your concerns, though to be fair Mr. Hudlin wasn't necessarily that well steeped in comics before he got the Black Panther gig. And this does follow something of a pattern within the comics industry of hiring non-comic book folks like novelists to do books, not to mention celebrities at times. I have to wonder if comic companies aren't desperate to bring notoriety to their works anyway they can and to bring in new audiences. Coates's selection will get the buzz and might bring in new readers as well.

I've read some of Coates articles and I agree with a lot of his points and how he expresses them. He can write. He has some sense of racial consciousness, does understand something of the black experience in a way that might be reminiscent of RH, and even more so than Mr. Priest, some of his ideas on race don't sit well with me. I am concerned about Coates's praise of Hickman, though he might have been saying that to be a good company man, which also might be cause for concern as well. When I heard the news he had been picked I was optimistic though. I'll just wait and see how it all turns out.

I'm not expecting something too radical and perhaps not even as racially conscious as what we got with RH's Panther. However if Coates can treat the character and Wakanda with respect and hold off on all of the deconstruction and punking Panther out I'll be cool with that.

Online Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 07:01:23 pm »

I share some of your concerns, though to be fair Mr. Hudlin wasn't necessarily that well steeped in comics before he got the Black Panther gig. And this does follow something of a pattern within the comics industry of hiring non-comic book folks like novelists to do books, not to mention celebrities at times. I have to wonder if comic companies aren't desperate to bring notoriety to their works anyway they can and to bring in new audiences. Coates's selection will get the buzz and might bring in new readers as well.

I've read some of Coates articles and I agree with a lot of his points and how he expresses them. He can write. He has some sense of racial consciousness, does understand something of the black experience in a way that might be reminiscent of RH, and even more so than Mr. Priest, some of his ideas on race don't sit well with me. I am concerned about Coates's praise of Hickman, though he might have been saying that to be a good company man, which also might be cause for concern as well. When I heard the news he had been picked I was optimistic though. I'll just wait and see how it all turns out.

I'm not expecting something too radical and perhaps not even as racially conscious as what we got with RH's Panther. However if Coates can treat the character and Wakanda with respect and hold off on all of the deconstruction and punking Panther out I'll be cool with that.

Co-sign on the bolden.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 05:05:58 am »
Agreed!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 06:25:04 am »
Thanks guys.

I have a David Walker (Cyborg) vibe coming off this announcement. However Walker had proved his chops to me with the excellent Shaft series I read before picking up his Cyborg. Walker's Cyborg has begun a little slow (I've only read the first two issues) though it has established a potential love interest (which Vic has seemed to put to the side for an old football rival) and introduced the Technosapiens, which look cool and could be a very neat enemy for him or even the Justice League if they allowed the Technosapiens to run amok. Walker has more comics cred, than Coates true, but I got a feeling that Coates, like I feel Walker, can respect their respective characters and find the humanity in them and then find a way to translate that. Coates will have to go through a Marvel filter and who knows what role Disney/Marvel Studios might play in also shaping how the character is portrayed in the run up to the film.

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 11:13:15 am »
How many uprising stories will we do?

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 11:37:21 pm »
How many uprising stories will we do?

Well, if you believe the canon tories, the twelve main tribes of Wakanda never agree on anything in sufficient enough numbers [ that's seven or more large ethnic groups wholly agreeing to a particular idea ] without leadership from The Black Panther. Back in the day, that meant that TChalla was oftentimes the deciding voice of reason, the vote that cast the majority in favor of one approach or the other. Doing this would and did of course earn him enmity in some corners of pretty much every ethnic group in Wakanda. But TChalla has always been such a wise and masterful leader that he was never in danger of being anything other than wildly, stupendously popular and beloved in Wakanda. I'm worried about a possible Wakandans vs Wakandan large scale Civil War story [ Maberry with the Desturi, Hickman with a loyalty swapping political civil war/coup with the Dora Milaje abandoning TChalla and turning to Shuri, and Shuri branding TChalla as engaging in traitorous actions, and now this ]. I think and hope that such a thing won't happen, but I also realize that we truly odn'thave enough information to make any accurate or semiaccurate prognostications

The other problem I'm having is...where's Shuri?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw