Author Topic: My Take On BP and Storm  (Read 21470 times)

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
My Take On BP and Storm
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:41:00 am »
I posted this "rant" of mine the other day on another forum and explained to the members that I'm pissed off about alot of things. Looking at all the hate being thrown around regarding two very great characters, I had to get this off my chest:

What some people are able to see for the first time in comics is not some klutzy Black characters, not some Uncle Tom, not some person bowing to the system. They see a black manand woman who are articulate, energetic, well prepared, and….(God forbid) defiant.

One of the ironies that isn't lost on many African American readers in particular, is that Storm was a guest in the white community. She was welcome in the gated community. She was loved for being a great mutant character surrounded by “whiteness”, and it was clear that the moment she hooked up with T’Challa, her  privilege of whiteness, her privilege of being accepted in the white community, is slowly being revoked, and the longer she’s with a another (n#%%er) Black character, she may never be accepted in that community again.

To them, Storm was raceless. She was not a person who spent time with other African Americans. She was not a person who was deeply committed to African American values. In fact, she talked more about being a Mutant than an African American. And yet the African American community has accepted her.

And so his privilege of membership in the gated communities of white America is on it’s way ofbeing revoked permanently, and she now is on her way to being persona non grata. That will never change. She's lost that view of being raceless. Before she was the princess, and now she's just another niggercomicbook character.

Welcome home Sister Ororo, there's always a place for you here. 'Cuz that's how we Black folk carry it.

Sorry to offend anyone.

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
Re: My Take On BP and Storm
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:41:44 am »
I posted this "rant" of mine the other day on another forum and explained to the members that I'm pissed off about alot of things. Looking at all the hate being thrown around regarding two very great characters, I had to get this off my chest:

What some people are able to see for the first time in comics is not some klutzy Black characters, not some Uncle Tom, not some person bowing to the system. They see a black manand woman who are articulate, energetic, well prepared, and….(God forbid) defiant.

One of the ironies that isn't lost on many African American readers in particular, is that Storm was a guest in the white community. She was welcome in the gated community. She was loved for being a great mutant character surrounded by “whiteness”, and it was clear that the moment she hooked up with T’Challa, her  privilege of whiteness, her privilege of being accepted in the white community, is slowly being revoked, and the longer she’s with a another (n#%%er) Black character, she may never be accepted in that community again.

To them, Storm was raceless. She was not a person who spent time with other African Americans. She was not a person who was deeply committed to African American values. In fact, she talked more about being a Mutant than an African American. And yet the African American community has accepted her.

And so his privilege of membership in the gated communities of white America is on it’s way ofbeing revoked permanently, and she now is on her way to being persona non grata. That will never change. She's lost that view of being raceless. Before she was the princess, and now she's just another niggercomicbook character.

Welcome home Sister Ororo, there's always a place for you here. 'Cuz that's how we Black folk carry it.

Sorry to offend anyone.

KRS?

Heh I thought about copying and pasting it here  ;D

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:01:58 am »
Who IS this masked Kristopher,who dares spew unvarnished truths and perceptive commentary with a very Jenn-like two fisted unapologetic proud-to-be-Black (which doesn't mean anti-Whte or anti-anything ELSE) perspective?

Welcome home,Kristopher,there's always a place for you here at HEF.Cause that's how we HEFfers carry it.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:19:35 am »

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:29:36 am »
Who IS this masked Kristopher,who dares spew unvarnished truths and perceptive commentary with a very Jenn-like two fisted unapologetic proud-to-be-Black (which doesn't mean anti-Whte or anti-anything ELSE) perspective?

Welcome home,Kristopher,there's always a place for you here at HEF.Cause that's how we HEFfers carry it.

Thanks, Supreme.

I've sat back and watched things in the comics industry for years, hoping for MAJOR changes, at least catch up to the 1960's. Seems like we're regressing. Hudlin's holding it down, but we can't lay it all on him and we shouldn't thank massa everytime he throws us a bone. If we do, he'll keep marrying of our characters to white people >:(

I got more, just click on the image, if you're interested:
http://amazula.com/

Thanks again for the welcome.

Peace!

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:14:51 am »
Amazula? Love the name,dawg...I remember when I was taught what AmaZulu meant when I was a child.What's the deal,dawg? You distributing solo or what?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 11:50:01 am »
welcome to the family, Kristopher.

and thanx for the real talk cuz that's how we HEFfa's role...real talk!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Jenn

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 12:04:39 pm »

Amen to that. Hudlin made Storm BLACK - undeniably black - and people can't stand that. There is this attitude in the black community  held by some women that if white men find you attractive, it makes you better. The fact that Storm has married a black man as opposed to a non-black is really driving a lot of black women nuts - the kind that wear blue contacts lenses and put L.A. Looks gel in their hair. Before now, you could NEVER have known that Storm was black. You never saw her reading a Terry McMillan novel, or listening to Marvin Gaye, or cornrowing her hair - NOTHING! It's different now, and I love it.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 12:09:23 pm »
Amazula? Love the name,dawg...I remember when I was taught what AmaZulu meant when I was a child.What's the deal,dawg? You distributing solo or what?

Yeah, solo effort.
The online story is a quick intro to the character to generate some interest.
I'm about to get started on the full length story for print.
I'll try to get as many black bookstores and Black college bookstores as I can to carry it.
And as you probably already figured out, I used "Amazon' and "Zulu" to come up with the character's name. And yeah, she kicks Wonder Womans A$$...easily  ;D

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 12:33:02 pm »
Before now, you could NEVER have known that Storm was black. You never saw her reading a Terry McMillan novel, or listening to Marvin Gaye, or cornrowing her hair - NOTHING! It's different now, and I love it.

Exactly!
Those previous writers should be ashamed at the sloppiness they've shown in their craft. IF you're writing about a group of people you have only marginal contact with, then do some research.
The research is what makes the writing on shows like "The Wire" believable.
The black characters that come out of many white comic writer's minds are products of intellectual laziness. I guess that's why I got to create my own characters. And make no mistake, they are BLACK. 8)

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 12:33:59 pm »
welcome to the family, Kristopher.

and thanx for the real talk cuz that's how we HEFfa's role...real talk!

Thanks, Mastrmynd.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 02:31:07 pm »
Welcome to HEF KRS. You will find many like minds (and some haters unfortunately) here, but know that we do hold it down on this Internet board.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 06:10:22 pm »
Cool...definitely down for this ...welcome KRS!  Storm is definitely better now and so is BP!

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 11:32:53 am »
It amazes me when I go on other forums, and read things that people are saying about their union. Usually from those that have no connection to African culture. The hate on some of those threads is unbelievable. Either they wanted Storm to marry Forge, which I think would have been cool but he couldn't keep it together, as far as him having a backbone and just telling Ororo how he really felt about her and their relationship. Instead he goes to Jean Grey for couples counseling. I heard "she should marry Logan!" Are they serious about James Howlett? He just found out what his real name is. Not to mention he's like 5'4 - 5'5! Storm is 5'11 come on now. Can you say Wolverine on a stool to kiss the bride "shudder". Then Gambit and Lucas Bishop...... OK how can I say this? Ms. Munroe is trying to get away from thievery and isn't Gambit in love with Marie aka Rogue? Now I heard that Bishop is Storms future descendant or something like that, so I doubt she's down with that whole incestuous route. I don't know though, it seems to have worked for the British royals...No way would Storm be into that! I would rather see Storm marry into royalty and become T'Challa's Queen than have her subjected to mediocrity, by being married to the others. Maybe some of the same people that feel so strongly about T'Challa and Storm's relationship being wrong should focus more on Reed and Susan's marital issues, Reed and Johnny's views on this registration (those are clear examples of a disfunctional family).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 03:58:38 pm by Tahdigga »

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 06:41:05 pm »
It amazes me when I go on other forums, and read things that people are saying about their union. Usually from those that have no connection to African culture. The hate on some of those threads is unbelievable. Either they wanted Storm to marry Forge, which I think would have been cool but he couldn't keep it together, as far as him having a backbone and just telling Ororo how he really felt about her and their relationship. Instead he goes to Jean Grey for couples counseling. I heard "she should marry Logan!" Are they serious about James Howlett? He just found out what his real name is. Not to mention he's like 5'4 - 5'5! Storm is 5'11 come on now. Can you say Wolverine on a stool to kiss the bride "shudder". Then Gambit and Lucas Bishop...... OK how can I say this? Ms. Munroe is trying to get away from thievery and isn't Gambit in love with Marie aka Rogue? Now I heard that Bishop is Storms future descendant or something like that, so I doubt she's down with that whole incestuous route. I don't know though, it seems to have worked for the British royals...No way would Storm be into that! I would rather see Storm marry into royalty and become T'Challa's Queen than have her subjected to mediocrity, by being married to the others. Maybe some of the same people that feel so strongly about T'Challa and Storm's relationship being wrong should focus more on Reed and Susan's marital issues, Reed and Johnny's views on this registration (those are clear examples of a disfunctional family).

I like this Tahdigga person! Bringin da heat,yo! And then...that Photon shouting "don't make me name all my energy attacks" just sent me into gales of laughter,yo!
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC: