Author Topic: My Take On BP and Storm  (Read 21469 times)

Offline aric_dacia

• View Profile
    • Official Homepage of Author Barry Reese
Re: My Take On BP and Storm
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 07:36:00 am »
"You never saw her reading a Terry McMillan novel, or listening to Marvin Gaye, or cornrowing her hair - NOTHING!"

Well, I do think that it's not unreasonable that *some* black characters might not do any of those things or anything else that might be generally viewed as "black." I work with an African-American lady who listens to country music, votes Republican and certainly doesn't read Terry McMillan. That's just how she is, you know? If she were a fictional character, would she be lambasted for not being "black enough?" I would hope not. Now, I do like the changes that have been made to Storm -- because Claremont women tend to be ueber-babes with the same personality over and over again.

I'm not arguing with the basic truths of your point (that black characters tend to be downgraded to 'black' books and storylines) but I don't necessarily think that the fact that Storm didn't do what you view as traditionally black things makes her a poorly written character. Maybe that's just the way that girl *is* you know?

And yes, I am a white male who enjoys Black Panther -- so perhaps my views are skewed in that direction, though certainly not intentionally. I think it's great that the BP series is reaching out to readers beyond the same WASP group that they've catered to for years. And I appreciate that Reggie is able to do that while simultaneously pleasing someone like myself who does fit into that catered-to audience.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 07:48:52 am by aric_dacia »

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 09:32:52 am »
"You never saw her reading a Terry McMillan novel, or listening to Marvin Gaye, or cornrowing her hair - NOTHING!"

Well, I do think that it's not unreasonable that *some* black characters might not do any of those things or anything else that might be generally viewed as "black." I work with an African-American lady who listens to country music, votes Republican and certainly doesn't read Terry McMillan. That's just how she is, you know? If she were a fictional character, would she be lambasted for not being "black enough?" I would hope not. Now, I do like the changes that have been made to Storm -- because Claremont women tend to be ueber-babes with the same personality over and over again.

I'm not arguing with the basic truths of your point (that black characters tend to be downgraded to 'black' books and storylines) but I don't necessarily think that the fact that Storm didn't do what you view as traditionally black things makes her a poorly written character. Maybe that's just the way that girl *is* you know?

And yes, I am a white male who enjoys Black Panther -- so perhaps my views are skewed in that direction, though certainly not intentionally. I think it's great that the BP series is reaching out to readers beyond the same WASP group that they've catered to for years. And I appreciate that Reggie is able to do that while simultaneously pleasing someone like myself who does fit into that catered-to audience.

Yo aric...Jenn was just kidding with that statement.It was more tongue-in-cheek then anything.I love Marvin Gaye,but you're likely to hear some underground hiphop throbbin wherever I'm at than any of Marvin's blazin hits.I haven't read Terry McMillan since my ex forced me to check out DISAPPERING ACTS.Liked the book...not a major fan of romance novels.I know plenty and plenty of sistahs who don't cornrow their hair.Right here in the heart of the hood in EAST SIDE LONG BEACH KILLA KALI.Lol.

More to the point,I haven't seen STORM depicted with a Terry McMillan novel,or listening to Marvin Gaye,or whatever in the RH BP series either.I would think she'd be blazin in cornrows or something,though,lol.STORM is already blazin in whatever or in nothing at all.So Jenn was kidding,man. Although I still shudder at the thought of a sistah voting Republican and even worse...listening to country and western.Lol.And if your coworker sees this post...yes,sistah,I was kidding about the Republican thing.Not the country and western thing,though,hahahahahhahaha!!!
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Tahdigga

• Honorary Wakandan
  • I'M MONICA RAMBEAU....IMPRESS ME
    • View Profile
    • Tah's Collection
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 10:34:19 am »
I thought Storm had braids with beads and cornrows in X-Treme X-men.

Yeah yeah I found a picture!

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 12:00:26 pm »

OOOPS! She sure did;D

Jenn

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 03:27:49 pm »
Those aren't even cornrows. That's the worst part. They look like little worms. And the beads? STUPID. No one w/an active lifestyle would have them - that's why the Williams sisters stopped wearing them. They would break and fall out of their hair at the worst possible times.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 07:59:19 pm »
Those aren't even cornrows. That's the worst part. They look like little worms. And the beads? STUPID. No one w/an active lifestyle would have them - that's why the Williams sisters stopped wearing them. They would break and fall out of their hair at the worst possible times.

Superhero fashion isn't always practical, Jenn.  :D Sweat builds up in the masks. Some still wear capes. And let's not forget how those tights run up in the umentionables.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 09:13:10 pm »

Superhero fashion isn't always practical, Jenn.  :D Sweat builds up in the masks. Some still wear capes. And let's not forget how those tights run up in the umentionables.

Damn I can only imagine the serious chaff going on with the Avengers. They have got to have 3 year supply of Jock itch spray stashed away.   :D

Jenn

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 10:12:51 pm »

I KNOW that, but they're not braids, not cornrows...they're little worms with beads!

Offline Edmund Lau

• View Profile
    • Uncle Screwtape's Blogs
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 06:33:15 am »
The Storm-BP romance is about the best thing to happen in comics for decades. Storm finally found herself after years of drifting aimlessly (can anyone explain what her relationship with Yukio was *really* about?). I can't stop looking at the cover to BP#18. Keep thinking how good Storm looked as a "Queen" and how having her by BP's side somehow made him all that much more a "King" as well... I don't know, more "regal" looking (less "superhero-ish"?).

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 12:39:46 am »
(can anyone explain what her relationship with Yukio was *really* about?).

Getting more adolescent fanboys horny? I thought their relationship changed when Storm stopped her punk phase.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

GrimSkill

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 04:26:25 pm »

Damn I can only imagine the serious chaff going on with the Avengers. They have got to have 3 year supply of Jock itch spray stashed away.   :D

Can you imagine how bad it get with the "Boob Socks"???  :D

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 10:39:56 am »
The Storm-BP romance is about the best thing to happen in comics for decades. Storm finally found herself after years of drifting aimlessly (can anyone explain what her relationship with Yukio was *really* about?). I can't stop looking at the cover to BP#18. Keep thinking how good Storm looked as a "Queen" and how having her by BP's side somehow made him all that much more a "King" as well... I don't know, more "regal" looking (less "superhero-ish"?).

I never heard of Edmund Lau (to my knowledge,anyway) until this post...but I must confess that I wholeheartedly,unreservedly agree with your observations here! I am very glad that BP is now a consistent strong seller,and I am glad that perceptive,intelligent folk such as Edmund Lau seems to be are fully supporting the book.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 12:22:14 pm »
Co-signage!

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 09:17:54 am »

STORM LOOKS EDIBLE IN THIS PIC.Just sayin.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

wgreason

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2007, 03:51:40 am »

yeah, that pic got me to buy X-treme X-Men, much to my regret.