Author Topic: Chad Bozeman is Thurgood Marshall: Directed by Reggie!  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Chad Bozeman is Thurgood Marshall: Directed by Reggie!
« on: December 16, 2015, 12:50:15 pm »
Kudos, Mr. Reggie!  HEF will help spread the word!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chadwick-boseman-portray-thurgood-marshall-849456

by Borys Kit

12/16/2015 10:49am PST

The film is being directed by Reginald Hudlin, producer of 'Django Unchained.'

Chadwick Boseman will play legendary attorney Thurgood Marshall in Marshall, a courtroom thriller directed by Reginald Hudlin, the producer of Django Unchained.

The movie is fully financed by by China-based Super Hero Films, Ltd. with Paula Wagner (Mission Impossible, The Last Samurai) producing through her Chestnut Ridge Productions banner.

Hudlin will also produce with Jonathan Sanger (The Elephant Man), and Super Hero Films’ Jun Dong.

The film project’s story is described as looking at a provocative case in the early career of one of America’s greatest legal minds.

Marshall is being produced with the full support of the Thurgood Marshall and Samuel Friedman estates, including their children, John W. Marshall and Lauren Friedman.

Marshall was America’s first black justice to sit in the Supreme Court  and before that fought for desegregation in the landmark Brown v. Board of Education case.

The movie’s story, however, goes to the time Marshall was a young lawyer in the days before World War Two.

The storyline, according to the producers: “a nearly bankrupt NAACP sends Marshall to conservative Connecticut to defend a black chauffeur against his wealthy socialite employer in a sexual assault and attempted murder trial that quickly became tabloid fodder. In need of a high profile victory but muzzled by a segregationist court, Marshall is partnered with Samuel Friedman, a young Jewish lawyer who has never tried a case. Marshall and Friedman struggle against a hostile storm of fear and prejudice, driven to discover the truth in the sensationalized trial which helped set the groundwork for the Civil Rights Movement to come."

“Thurgood Marshall was a man who took his life in his hands every time he came to a town to bring justice,” said Hudlin in a statement. “Marshall was a cowboy who used his law books as guns.  He was the smartest guy in the room of any room he was in.  But he wasn’t a punk and didn’t hesitate to throw a punch if the occasion called for it."

Michael Koskoff, a trial attorney, wrote the script with his son, Jacob Koskoff, who co-wrote recent Macbeth feature that starred Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard.

Boseman is repped by Michael Greene of Greene & Associates and Management 360.

CAA is repping the film and also reps Hudlin.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: Chad Bozeman is Thurgood Marshall: Directed by Reggie!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 02:17:19 pm »
Looking forward to this, Mr. Hudlin!

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 06:48:02 pm »
Is Chad gonna play every Black man in history?

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 07:39:10 am »
Is Chad gonna play every Black man in history?

:)

Congratulations, Mr. Hudlin!  :)

Tell the story as best as you can, sir.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 02:30:53 pm »
Congratualtions to all involved.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 10:31:49 pm »
I just had to log in again to say how dope this sounds!

Keep up the good work, Reggie!

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 06:17:01 am »
Hudlin is a cunning man. In one move he has laid it out to Disney- I know the material, directed the main actor and I have clout in Hollywood, the ball is in your court now.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 06:25:28 am »
Hudlin is a cunning man. In one move he has laid it out to Disney- I know the material, directed the main actor and I have clout in Hollywood, the ball is in your court now.
If you think about it that is ballsy.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 06:11:58 pm »
Noooooooooo!!! The shade-throwing has already begun!  I hope that people will support this film regardless of the "eyebrow raising" in Bozeman's casting that I guess some folk have chosen to look at as Illuminati Conspiracy #9,829,858...

http://www.theroot.com/on-chadwick-boseman-marshall-and-tokenism-in-hollywood-1819034524
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 06:53:46 am »
Noooooooooo!!! The shade-throwing has already begun!  I hope that people will support this film regardless of the "eyebrow raising" in Bozeman's casting that I guess some folk have chosen to look at as Illuminati Conspiracy #9,829,858...

http://www.theroot.com/on-chadwick-boseman-marshall-and-tokenism-in-hollywood-1819034524

You can't have everything and you certainly can't have everything both ways.

Bozeman looks to embody the role rather well despite being several shades darker than the real Thurgood.

But what were they supposed to do cast Shemar Moore? Hill Harper?

Guys like Bozeman and Elba are ONLY JUST NOW getting to the point of movie star ubiquity and now certain Black folk want to play the "spread the work" around card?

The Black Panther movie will appeal to the action crowd. Thurgood will appeal to serious drama/academy-award ready crowd. Having a hit in both arenas at the same time generally means you have arrived as a bankable movie star.

And then these same folks are going to want to complain about why there are so few Black bankable movie stars. Well y'all seems to not want the star making process to actually work.

This is doubly ironic given that both Black Panther and Thurgood Marshall are directed by African Americans. This is (some) Black folk complaining about a process that Black folk actually have control over for once.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 07:02:02 am »
Man... f*ck these people.

No wonder old people get cranky and "get off my lawn."

They learn everyone sucks lol

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 10:09:30 am »
This noise will fade once the movie comes out. CB is great in it.
Yes, I've seen it. Don't sleep!
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 02:43:56 pm »
I saw Marshall today. I thought it was a good film. Chadwick Boseman brought swagger to the role. And Josh Gad brought the comic relief, but not in an over the top way that went against the tone of the film. I thought they worked well together.

The story was paced well, and it had a nice mix of drama, suspense, a little humor, and had a solid cast. And the story reminded me
Spoiler (click to reveal)
of the recent Bachelor in Paradise controversy
particularly at the end of the trial.
I enjoyed the cameos with Trayvon Martin's parents and Benjamin Crump at the end quite a bit and it helped show the continuum from Marshall's time to today.

The film helped impress how dangerous life must have been for Marshall and other civil rights activists during that time, riding the lonely and dangerous railways, busways, and highways, and going right into the heart of darkness to light a lantern of truth.

I've seen some grumbling about the casting of Boseman for Marshall. I get the skin color thing and I can also see why people might feel that Boseman has become a go-to guy for black historical biopic leads. The skin color critics probably had little to say about Sidney Poitier when he portrayed Marshall. I also can't think of any lighter-skinned actors that got the buzz Boseman has. Laurence Fishburne is too old for that time period in Marshall's life, but he would be a great choice to play an older Marshall. Terrence Howard perhaps could've done it, but it didn't happen. Brian White probably would've have done a good job but he doesn't have Boseman's heat. He's never headlined a major Hollywood feature before. And he also wouldn't have the good buzz of being part of the MCU either. Jussie Smollett was already cast in the film. I think Marshall perhaps could've been a good opportunity for him to head a film, but it wasn't in the cards.

Boseman was fine in the role and the film really wasn't a biopic of Marshall to counter the charge that Boseman is hogging or being given all the biopic choices.
If anything he was the co-star with Gad's Sam Friedman and it was Friedman who had more of a character arc in the film. The film delved into one case in Marshall's storied career and it was a case he wasn't even there for by the time the jury reached a verdict.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 05:03:11 pm »
The Trayvon Martin thing was kinda cute
I am glad that they got SAG cards
But as to Black History 101
It's become routine

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 03:28:20 pm »
The Trayvon Martin thing was kinda cute
I am glad that they got SAG cards
But as to Black History 101
It's become routine

Somewhere along the way I saw the European (significant) Russell Brand
He was on some U-Tube on some Black American radio station
They asked him a point blank racial question
His answer was much better
Than their question
Only in the mind
Of Minolta