Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens reviewed (with spoilers)  (Read 27159 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Star Wars: The Force Awakens reviewed (with spoilers)
« on: December 19, 2015, 08:35:53 am »
Okay, here is the granddaddy of 2015 movies, the one that millions-billions?-have been waiting for. I checked it out yesterday. I went early in the morning and that theater was too full. Next showing though wasn't that bad though. So if you are worried about sold out shows, I guess it might depend on where you're at (I'm in Northern Virginia) you probably can-hopefully-get in somewhere without having to deal with a ton of crowds.

My thoughts on the film (and there will be spoilers and my spoiler tags might not get them all) are as follows. I thought the film was good, well paced, full of action, likeable characters, but I don't think its the greatest Star Wars film ever, I don't think its even better than most of the prequel films, with the exception of The Phantom Menace. How I rank the films-right now and that might be subject to change if/when I watch TFA again or the rest of the saga again.

Favorites
1. The Return of the Jedi
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. The Revenge of the Sith
4. Attack of the Clones
5. A New Hope
6. The Force Awakens
7. The Phantom Menace

Best
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. The Return of the Jedi
3. The Revenge of the Sith
4. A New Hope
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Force Awakens
7. The Phantom Menace

You know, I'm not sure where I should place A New Hope. As a kid I loved this film, but the last time I watched it really it was boring in places. Though I do think the lightsaber duel between Obi Wan and Vader, while lacking prequel or even ROTJ acrobatics had an emotional resonance and weight to it that was better than the overlong and overhyped The Duel in ROTS.

I'm still working my way through my feelings over The Force Awakens. Full disclosure, I was a fan of the often benighted and now decanonized Star Wars expanded universe. The novels and comics laid out a post-ROTJ future for the characters that I liked in many respects. So that's in the back of my mind as I consider TFA and trying to see if they did as good a job or better than what came before. I can't say they did. I feel that the EU took more chances storywise and presented better villains. But I digress...

I'm struggling with how I want to express my thoughts so I'll try to break it down like this:

The Good:

-Production values. Top notch. I wasn't going gaga over practical effects vs. green screen but still the movie looked pretty good.
-Cast: Throughout the cast was entertaining and to me John Boyega had a definite enthusiasm that radiated from his character. It was also great seeing Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and some other familiar faces.
-Action: I thought the space combat scenes were handled well and the lightsaber combat. Nothing I felt spectacular but nothing I hated either.
-Characters: I liked the characters for the most part, particularly the hero characters. Though I think more so for the acting than a lot of the characters themselves.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I thought Daisy Ridley's Rey and John Boyega's Finn had some good chemistry. They clicked. And their banter evoked, which I'm sure was the intent, the classic Han and Leia banter. It will be interesting to see if their friendship blossoms into anything more. Oscar Isaac's Dameron started out the film but sat most of it out, however I thought he had Boyega had chemistry too. I wonder if down the line there might not be a triangle that develops between Dameron, Rey, and Finn? Though I don't recall Dameron and Rey sharing any scenes in TFA the story is just beginning. It was great seeing Han and Leia again. They didn't get as many scenes together as I think they needed to, but they did the most with what little they had. And it was great seeing Chewbacca, Threepio, and R2D2-who also didn't get much screen time again as well.
-Diversity: It was cool seeing women behind some of the screens for the First Order and also I think there was at least one female Stormtrooper, not counting Captain Phasma. There was also some diversity among the Resistance, with an Asian general and an Asian X-Wing pilot. Also a black X-Wing pilot. And of course the three major leads are a white woman, a black guy, and a Latino guy.
And you have Leia as the leading general (I'm assuming of the Resistance).

The Meh:
-The story.
I felt it was too derivative of A New Hope. It followed it a bit too closely. I wanted something newer, a bit fresher. Here it was Abrams playing in cherished sandbox, reliving A New Hope instead of adding something new to the saga.
Abrams just decided to make things supersize. I mean the Death Star could destroy one planet at a time while Abrams's Starkiller Base can destroy multiple planets. Even his Star Destroyers might be bigger than the originals.
The prequels get hate, and in many respects rightfully so, but at least Lucas was trying to tell a new or different story. The prequels felt  more grand in scope than what we've been presented with so far in The Force Awakens. The prequels told a story about the fall of democracy, the rise of a dictatorship, and the personal, accompanying story of the corruption and fall of a hero.
Perhaps TFA is attempting to invert that regarding Kylo Ren's story, but so much just feels like a shadow of what came before. The First Order is powerful but isn't as powerful as the Empire. Kylo Ren is powerful but isn't as powerful as Vader or any other live-action Sith Lord, etc.

What I didn't like:

-Finn: Okay, I know this might look confusing or hypocritical but let me explain. I think they at times made Finn the comic relief too much.
They also made him a bit cowardly or he played things a bit too broadly. As a black guy who loves sci-fi and always is mindful of how black characters are portrayed there are pluses and minuses here with Finn. When I look at Star Wars alone in how black men are portrayed I think it's a step forward and backward for Finn. Forward is he's part of a new troika and might have a romance with Rey and become the predominant couple of the new saga and maybe turn out more successful than Han and Leia did. Negatives. When compared to Lando who betrayed Han, but for a good reason, and led the second successful attack on the Death Star and then Mace Windu, one of the greatest swordsman ever who took out Jango Fett like it was nothing and had Palpatine on his back (though I did think Palpatine threw that fight to sway Anakin over to his side), but at least Mace was right about not trusting Anakin all along, Finn is the lesser of those characters. Finn gets way more screen time though. Though compared to black women black men are killing it in Star Wars. I mean black actresses are mostly background characters and generally are playing alien characters. Sure there were several black female Jedi (Luminara Unduli, Stass Allie, and Adi Gallia), but none had any speaking roles in the live-action films. Unduli and Gallia did play a role in the canon Clone Wars cartoon. There was a Jedi Master Salmara from Darth Maul: Death Sentence that I wish was canon. I thought she was cool, but I digress...

What bothers me is that we learn he is a programmed soldier taken from birth or at least early on so he doesn't know his parents (child soldier or slave essentially), he doesn't have a name until Dameron gives him one, he runs from Rey and is taken down by her. If he's a programmed soldier where is his discipline or military bearing? He later reveals he works in sanitation but when we first see him he's a Stormtrooper. So do Stormtroopers also have side jobs? A large part of his character arc is he wants to run away, but his friendship for Rey convinces him to work with the Resistance to rescue her. So he's risking his life to protect a white woman-something we've seen black male characters do before. I know some might feel that race plays no part or that it's transracial or interracial and transcends race and all of that, but I don't see black males loving or putting their lives on the line for black females much, if at all, in our movies. If race doesn't matter why can't we see more of that? The positives are that Finn has the potential to be a great character. We have yet to learn who his parents are, or what role he will play in the Resistance. He did show bravery about going back to the First Order to rescue Rey and he held his own-for a little while-in lightsaber combat against Kylo Ren. So it's not all bad. Plus Boyega seems like he's having fun and it's infectious.

-Rey: Okay, you're probably thinking, well I said I liked the characters. I did, but that doesn't mean I didn't have some criticisms.
I think Rey is dangerously close to Mary Sue territory. With little or no experience she successfully flies the Millennium Falcon, escaping trained TIE fighter pilots. She's so good that Han Solo offers her a job. To be fair, Finn also becomes pretty proficient with firing the cannons both on a TIE fighter and then the Falcon with no experience. And later on, while captured, she just does a Jedi Mind Trick, without any foreknowledge-of what we can tell. She later defeats Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel and its her first lightsaber fight-that we know of. I think Abrams did at least showing her wielding her staff pretty well early on. Still I think they were pushing things a bit too much. I liked Ridley as an actress so I'm almost willing to let it slide. Also its cool that the new trilogy's lead character, the Savior/Chosen One is a female, but still even Anakin and Luke had to go through some training with a lightsaber beforehand.

-Classic characters: Not a knock against them per se, but how Abrams decided to take their stories.
They are weathered and beaten down. It was more grim than I would imagine. Han and Leia are separated, we don't know if they even got married, Luke is in exile. Basically Han and Luke ran away leaving Leia to continue the fight or to find a new one. To be fair, Obi Wan and Yoda also ran away but the prequels showed us what they up against. Still it just felt sort of downbeat that this is the future that awaits our old friends after the joyous celebration on Endor.

-Villains: For the most part all the villains were let downs.
Supreme Leader Snoke (Andy Serkis) was this towering hologram with less than stellar rendered CGI. An he wasn't a well designed or distinctive alien. He didn't do much but issue orders from on high. We learn that he brought Kylo Ren over to the dark side. Before that, Ren was a student of Luke's. I thought they made the hologram too big. It looked ridiculous. Kylo Ren starts out interesting. He has a cool look, shows a nifty ability to stop a blaster bolt, but ultimately is a wannabe Vader. The son of Han and Leia (shades of the EU's Jacen Solo), Ben Solo turned to the dark side. One neat thing about him is that it's the light side that's calling or pulling to him, an opposite of what we've seen before. That being said, he turned out not to be that impressive. He throws tantrums and got upstaged by people who zero lightsaber experience. He was cut by both Finn and Rey. While he might be an interesting character study I wanted a more threatening villain. Maul, Vader, they were threatening and formidable, Ren starts out that way but underneath the mask he's something else. A nice inversion but doesn't make for thrilling viewing, watching a villain you can beat so relatively easily. Toward the end Snoke says he must complete Ren's training. I'm like, why hadn't he did that already? Ren will go down in infamy for killing Han Solo though. However I can't say it made him that much of a bad ass due to how that came about and since he was beaten by Rey afterward. General Hux was a clone of Tarkin. Albeit he's very young so you wonder how the hell he got that position? And comparisons have been made between Captain Phasma and Boba Fett. Hux or Phasma didn't get much screen time and Phasma got the short end of the stick, being overtaken by Finn, Han, and Chewie. She didn't even put up a fight.
-Coincidence: Things happened way too much by coincidence or happenstance in this film. You can say its the Will or Way of the Force but you could also say it was lazy writing or just aw-f**k it-they'll eat it up anyway.
-Not enough exposition: Yes I know that sounds crazy, but I wish more had been explained or Disney had done a better job with their multimedia efforts of laying the groundwork for this new era in Star Wars. A lot was left unsaid or left for the audience to puzzle over I guess, more than I think needed to be. Perhaps they are saving some for future films, or maybe other multimedia but I hope they do address some of it at least.

I wasn't observant enough to catch EU references, though they did mention the clones once, and I guess prequel fans can take heart at that.
I do think though that Jacen Solo and Ben Solo/Kylo Ren had a similar story. In the EU Jacen Solo was a Knight, one of Luke Skywalker's New Jedi Order, and pretty much his heir. I think at one point Jacen had even become one with the Force. But eventually Jacen falls to the dark side, becomes Darth Caedus, the last of the Rule of Two Sith in the EU. Ben Solo superficially sounds like him. Though with Jacen we got to see him as a hero and then his fall so perhaps it was more tragic. With Ben we see him as a villain and learn of his heritage retroactively. Jacen, while supposedly one of the great duelist of the New Jedi Order, wasn't that great after he became a Sith Lord. Better than Ben Solo, but still both getting their asses handed to them by a female (Jacen's sister Jaina and Rey versus Ben) seem to go in sync as well. I wonder too if Ben Solo might not have been influenced by the EU's Ben Skywalker-the son of Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker? In the EU Jacen wanted Ben to be his apprentice and attempted to bring him over into the dark side but Ben resisted. It makes me wonder why Leia and Han would name their son Ben, as opposed to say Bail?  After her adopted father? I get that for old school Star Wars fans the name Ben evokes Kenobi and good feelings, but within that universe, seems like Leia would care more about Bail than Ben Kenobi.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:39:18 am by Emperorjones »

Offline mayday

• View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens reviewed (with spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 09:26:35 am »
Dead on about Finn. Great experience but a huge let down as to what I was expecting. Ho-hum....guess I can say more after everyone has seen the movie.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 10:00:40 am »
Thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention. I had noticed it while watching the film but another reviewer really brought it home for me regarding Finn.

He is reluctant and even defiant against killing civilians on Jakku yet he shows no compunction in killing his former colleagues, Stormtroopers.  Granted he was in a lot of life or death situations with them and was attacked by one trooper and called a traitor later on by Ren. But still it seemed a bit odd to me. He was so against killing but then so willing to kill. Was he the only Stormtrooper who had a personality? That wasn't mindlessly following orders? I mean perhaps so. Since Captain Phasma (who seemed to have something of a personality herself) said that Finn was scheduled for reconditioning. Then again, what does that mean? And also we saw the nicely played and funny turn around of the two Stormtroopers to evade Kylo Ren's tantrum. It suggests some personalities and individuality behind the masks. Wouldn't Finn be a bit gun shy about killing maybe some of his former friends or colleagues?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:28:38 am by Emperorjones »

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 12:17:30 pm »
I feel duped, that brotha was every bug eyed, frightened coon there ever was. If this is inclusion, leave me out of it. I would've been fine with Peaches on monitor duty and shots of Julius and them flying X-Wings.

Finn got his name from a white man and then stole his jacket. After that he went white girl crazy, told her a bunch of lies to get her, when he finally did, he left her out in the cold and then went through hell trying to get her back.

I'm exaggerating a little bit, but not a whole lot. I was really disappointed dude was such whack sauce he ended up comatose and about the bait and switch with Luke's lightsaber. I get the symmetry of who you thought was going to be Han and who you thought was going to be Luke, were actually reversed, but overall it didn't sit well with me.

It also pissed me off that I kept waiting on Lupita Nyong'o and she played an unrecognizable shriveled orange peel lady that could have been anybody.

Speaking of anybody, anybody that couldn't tell Rey was dude's sister and Han and Leia's daughter, had to be as slow on the uptake as Finn. That's why she was so good with machinery like Anakin and kept using the force without knowing it.

And what was up with Gene Simmons grandson Kylo Ren? He had a hell of a noggin didn't he? He took that helmet off and I was like "Pleeeeease put your helmet back on". J.J. Abrams could have quit with the close-ups, the movie was already in I-Max 3D, I did not need to get that close to that man's ugly cranium. It was a head of it's time.

Did we really need a third Death Star with an easily exploitable weakness? The First Order and Empire are both slow learners. That was one too many trips down memory lane and it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'd already tried to overlook the outrageous coincidences that coincided with the first film, like the droid with secrets wanted by the bad guys and the fortuitous way characters kept meeting up, but the super-sized Death Star really took me out of the movie.

All that's not to say I didn't enjoy it, because I did, but it could have been so much better and more original. I walked out angry and wishing the film was based on Timothy Zahn's books, they would have made a superior sequel.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 02:09:00 pm »
Triple X,

My reaction wasn't as strong as yours. I thought it was a good film. But you pretty much get it about Finn. His portrayal was unsatisfying. Almost everyone's raving about this film, completely caught up in the hype of it, that I think its hard for some to look at it with a critical eye. To me there also seems to be a gleeful need to poke Lucas in the eye, to really show him how much his prequels sucked by uplifting this film to the heavens.
And I think a lot of people are really drawing dividing lines with the character Rey and there's always the hint or charge of sexism around it. But I see Rey as a case of them replacing a super duper white guy with a super duper white female. It is diversity and progression of a sort, I suppose, but when you look at what they did-or didn't do to Finn and how they covered up Lupita, one of the most beautiful women on the planet and as far as I know the only one in the cast to have an Oscar-and if she isn't the only one, perhaps the most recent, I'm not 100% on board with that kind of 'diversity'. And there's a part of me that can't help but wonder if Rey would've  been so standoffish, 'don't grab my hand' if it wasn't Finn attempting to do so? I can see it being a good example for a feminist hero/heroine, a show of independence for the character, but the lizard part of my brain makes me wonder. Will Finn get friend zoned? And is that okay with me? Yeah and no I guess. I want black characters to be romantically and sexually active-in healthy ways-in films, but I frankly would like more intraracial relationships depicted than interracial. I think the trend is interracial and it just reinforces the idea that black- black relationships and sexuality and desirability is not desirable.

As for Kylo Ren yeah he could've kept his mask on. As soon as he took it off the menace started to fade
and then he went out with a whimper.
That being said I did see a side-by-side picture of him and Harrison Ford and they do have similar noses.

I'm not sure Rey is Han and Leia's kid. I'm thinking she's Luke's daughter. I mean if she was their kid why didn't they say something?
Though with this film there were a lot of questions left unanswered, confident that there would be sequels and follow up material. Not every film gets that luxury and it's not one I think even Star Wars should take lightly. I do think eventually with the plan to have a Star Wars film every year will eventually dissipate interest in the franchise. Disney is determined to have their cinematic. It might work for a while but I think people will tire of it.

I definitely agree with you about the lack of originality.
The First Order, Resistance, Ren, Snoke, all just came off like pale reflections of stuff that's come before. I wish they had taken more risks and really expanded the story, pushed it forward. But they pretty much just returned to the state of the galaxy in A New Hope without filling out the details of why that was? I mean there is a New Republic now, but how big and powerful are they and why are they funding a Resistance? Can't they put their own Republic ships in the fight? How big and powerful is the First Order? Are there other Imperial factions out there? Obviously the First Order is powerful enough to develop the Starkiller Base. Why did Ben Solo turn against Luke? Who is Snoke? And if Ben/Ren was defeated by Rey and Finn held his own for a moment against him (granted Ren was injured), but still, how did this guy defeat and kill all of Luke's students?

And for a self-confessed fan of the originals and TFA was a very heavy homage to the original films, particularly A New Hope, why did Abrams give the Big Three (Luke, Leia, and Han) such sh*tty post-ROTJ futures? Han and Luke run away. Leia becomes a hardened, or rather weathered general.

I only read the first in Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, but yeah I would've liked that story or a variation on it to make it fresh more. I mean you even had Max Von Sydow there to play the crazy Jedi C'boath if they had wanted to go that route. I liked the Yuuzhan Vong stories and would've liked to see them. A different enemy-not Sith-that's outside the Force. I thought they were cool. Or even adaptations of the Legacy of the Force or Fate of the Jedi series.
Though to be fair to TFA there are shades of Legacy of the Force in this film. They might as well called Kylo Ren Jacen.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:27:40 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 05:45:17 am »
I saw it today, and honestly, I hadn't thought about the points people made about Finn's portrayal. I think they're fair, but I also think his character might be difficult to judge, even though the film is over. Now that Star Wars is going to be a biannual thing, it's more like a comic series than a conventional movie, even moreso than movies based on comics, like the MCU. What we just saw was the first issue, not even the complete origin story of these characters. Finn definitely has only a very basic character arc (
running from the First Order, to facing his fear to rescue his friend
), but if they're keeping him as one of the focal characters, you'd expect (or at least hope) that the further films to come will see him leave behind the wide-eyed, clumsy stage we saw here.
None of that's guaranteed, but I'd at least hope to see him taking a bigger role in the rebellion, and maybe seeing him able to make use of his
stormtrooper training, now that he's not being ordered to wipe out villages
. There's other good directions they could take him, and obviously bad directions, too, but I am hoping that we see a very different view of him by the close of this trilogy (although it's ongoing, I'm assuming they keep it going in patterns of 3). I couldn't help but like him, maybe because I just really like Boyega.
Also, having only recently rewatched 4-6, I was surprised by how uncool and clownish Han Solo was, compared to the super-cool rogue I always hear him talked about as, and remembered him as. It may be that Finn is intended as a repetition of that type of character, but the racial context (unintentionally?) puts a different spin on it.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 06:09:13 am »
7/10

All of the main characters were annoying. I typically judge films based on villains and this guy and his "Skywalker" whining is far worse than Anakin and Luke combined.
Rey was like a video game character with her power up and all of sudden she is Zelda
Finn? LOL
Phasma? LOL

The best character by far is Poe.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 06:52:07 am »
7/10

All of the main characters were annoying. I typically judge films based on villains and this guy and his "Skywalker" whining is far worse than Anakin and Luke combined.
Rey was like a video game character with her power up and all of sudden she is Zelda
Finn? LOL
Phasma? LOL

The best character by far is Poe.

#gotem
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 07:24:20 am »
Wise Son,

You make some good points about Finn. I mean the jury is out.
We don't know how the story is going to turn out with him, where it will go. But from just what I saw I have some skepticism. It's hopeful that since he is a main character-one of the new Big Three-we will get a more fleshed out character. Though it could also be the case that Poe-since he was short changed in TFA-will get more focus next time around. I see Rey as being front and center throughout the new saga. It will be interesting to see where they go with Finn. Will he have his own story or will it all revolve around his feelings-so far unrequited for Rey?

I hadn't considered Han clownish ever, but I haven't watched the OT in a long while. And I can see Finn being inspired by Han in some respects.
Maybe that's why they were paired together. And I did like Han's advice to Finn about women.
But as you said, there's a racial context to Finn that Han doesn't have to contend with. So I'm a little leery of jokey, cowardly, black characters since we have a history of that. That being said thankfully that's not all we saw of Finn. He was also brave, compassionate, a risk taker, smart to some extent.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:30:18 am by Emperorjones »

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 09:03:48 am »
How old is Rey in this picture?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 11:36:19 am »
I would say roughly 19.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rey

Be wary of this link there will be spoilers for the film.

Offline CKW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 11:42:00 am »
The script has her saying and doing annoying things for that age or it could be that the trailers made me think the movie was headed in a certain direction.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 11:44:20 am »
What direction would that be?

A New Hope started out with Luke and Leia around 18/19 years old. Arguably Luke could also be seen as annoying. He wasn't too me back then or the last time I watched it. But I can concede people saying he's whiny. Leia was way more self-assured and of course committed to a cause. An in AOTC, I would say Anakin was roughly 18/19 at that time and he also was called whiny, not to mention creepy and then psychopathic. But at the same time it didn't really bother me either.

With Rey I also have to wonder how much social interaction she had before things kick off in TFA? She seems to be living a mostly solitary existence, on the margins of Jakku.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:50:14 am by Emperorjones »

Offline CKW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 12:33:30 pm »
What's the main difference between Rey's motivation in this film and Luke's motivation in the New Hope? That is the reason I thought the movie was headed down that part

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 12:56:10 pm »
I haven't watched A New Hope in a long while, but I think that Luke wanted to leave Tatoonine, he wanted more adventure, he felt that something was greater out there for him. And he wanted to join the Imperial Academy if I recall correctly and be a pilot.

Whereas Rey was a scavenger on Tatoonine-like Jakku.
She had been left there by a guardian/parent (?) and she spent a lot of the film wanting to go back or expressing a desire to go back to Jakku to wait on that guardian to return for her. She also rejected her Force calling at first, while Luke embraced his. Compared also to Anakin, Anakin also wanted to leave Tatoonine and be a Jedi. In a sense Rey's journey started off as inversion of that, but the Force has a way of making things happen I suppose.

There was a scene where Rey put on an old X-Wing pilot's helmet while on Jakku, which could indicate that she had yearnings to pilot or fly, an homage to Anakin and Luke, but she had little to no piloting experience when she and Finn had to take the Millennium Falcon to escape a First Order patrol.

That being said, I think Rey seems more powerful or at least assured in her Force abilities than Luke in A New Hope or Anakin in The Phantom Menace by the end of The Force Awakens.