Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens reviewed (with spoilers)  (Read 26997 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens reviewed (with spoilers)
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2016, 08:04:36 pm »
It's more than that; without Finn, there is no movie.

Without Finn, Poe remains a prisoner of the First Order
Without Finn, Rey probably loses BB, and would never leave the planet.
Without Finn, the Resistance would not have known how to take down the doomsday weapon.
Without Finn, Rey would have either been captured or killed by Ren, before she recovered enough to fight.

Basically without Finn, the Resistance loses.

Take Chewbacca out of the original movie and really nothing except humor changes.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2016, 08:12:27 pm »
You're right in that Finn drove the action more than Chewbacca ever did. It was Finn's decision to leave the First Order which set things in motion. But at the same time he also needed to be rescued more than Chewbacca did too.

Hahaha!  Actually, I think everybody needed to be rescued more than Chewbacca.  In fact, I don't remember Chewy needing rescue, maybe the trash compactor with the group in A New Hope?  Luke, on the other hand, needed quite a bit of rescue up to an including Episode Six.  Who could forget the redemption of Darth Vader saving his son n by throwing the Emperor down the chute? 

Peace,

Mont

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2016, 04:52:48 am »

Without Finn, the Resistance would not have known how to take down the doomsday weapon.
Without Finn, Rey would have either been captured or killed by Ren, before she recovered enough to fight.

Take Chewbacca out of the original movie and really nothing except humor changes.

For Poe's rescue, yes and no. I mean they could've obviously wrote him escaping some other way. But Finn was instrumental in his escape.
Rey was handling herself pretty well against the people trying to take BB-8. Finn was going to intervene and then saw she was handling it.
I think the Resistance did have some info already on Starkiller Base, and Finn bluffed that he was more important on the base than he actually was. That being said he did point out Captain Phasma and with help, help capture her.
Yeah Finn did provide Rey to recover, so he did play a crucial role there.

But in some much of this stuff Finn bumbled and stumbled and often needed to be helped out as much or more than he helped. At least Chewbacca didn't do that. I think you are bloating Finn's importance in winning the battle. He did play an important role but I don't think it hinged on him alone.

Good point that if you removed Chewbacca from the film it wouldn't affect it like if you removed Finn. But where does Finn 'fit' in overall compared to the original characters, and he doesn't really have much of an impact or future going forward except as a supporting-albeit a very prominent supporting character-going forward. Of course my suspicions could be totally upended by the future films.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:54:38 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2016, 05:05:45 am »
You're right in that Finn drove the action more than Chewbacca ever did. It was Finn's decision to leave the First Order which set things in motion. But at the same time he also needed to be rescued more than Chewbacca did too.

Hahaha!  Actually, I think everybody needed to be rescued more than Chewbacca.  In fact, I don't remember Chewy needing rescue, maybe the trash compactor with the group in A New Hope?  Luke, on the other hand, needed quite a bit of rescue up to an including Episode Six.  Who could forget the redemption of Darth Vader saving his son n by throwing the Emperor down the chute? 

Peace,

Mont

You are right that Luke did need rescue a lot, however Luke also got to own it to in a way that Finn has not and IMO will never get to be. He's not the main character. Rey is, which I think is part of the issue with her is that they powered her up so much in TFA it's going to be hard seeing her lose and get humbled like Anakin or Luke did in their sagas. As for Finn to me his arc could be over in TFA-from leaving the First Order to joining the Resistance. Now they could add the romantic angle with Rey, but I don't really see them doing that. For one Star Wars films don't have a great track record in that regard, except for Han and Leia and that was sort of a side story while the main character Luke remained chaste. I could see Rey remaining chaste. Granted there are some folks who want a Poe/Finn relationship out there but I don't see Disney going that route either because of fear of how it might affect their bottom line.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2016, 05:59:05 am »

For Poe's rescue, yes and no. I mean they could've obviously wrote him escaping some other way. But Finn was instrumental in his escape.
Rey was handling herself pretty well against the people trying to take BB-8. Finn was going to intervene and then saw she was handling it.
I think the Resistance did have some info already on Starkiller Base, and Finn bluffed that he was more important on the base than he actually was. That being said he did point out Captain Phasma and with help, help capture her.
Yeah Finn did provide Rey to recover, so he did play a crucial role there.

But in some much of this stuff Finn bumbled and stumbled and often needed to be helped out as much or more than he helped. At least Chewbacca didn't do that. I think you are bloating Finn's importance in winning the battle. He did play an important role but I don't think it hinged on him alone.

Good point that if you removed Chewbacca from the film it wouldn't affect it like if you removed Finn. But where does Finn 'fit' in overall compared to the original characters, and he doesn't really have much of an impact or future going forward except as a supporting-albeit a very prominent supporting character-going forward. Of course my suspicions could be totally upended by the future films.

I didn't mean to say that everything hinged on him alone.  Without Poe, he's still be stuck on the base because he wasn't a pilot.  Without Rey, he'd be stuck on the planet and so on.  He's not alone in importance, but he's important to the story.

As far as where does Fin "fit" in the comparison to the original characters--I think fans are over-doing this.  There are some comparisons--Rey and Luke are really alike--but I think trying to do a 1 for 1 match and expecting all the details to line up is going to far.  Finn changed sides; in that way, he's like Darth Vader.  He changed sides.  But comparisons should be limited.  Rey is very much like Luke, but her goal in life was to find her family; and Luke's was to get away for an adventure. 

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2016, 10:19:17 am »
I'm not trying for a one-for-one comparison between characters, however there does seem to be strong similarities and nods to original characters. From there you can look at the arcs of the originals and speculate what might happen for TFA characters. Rey and Luke do have some similarities, and to a lesser extent Anakin and Rey, but Rey to me was way more competent in her Force abilities in TFA than either Anakin in TPM or Luke was in ANH. I do have to wonder if there is a rhyme to these stories, if there is poetry, and TFA invited those comparisons by being so 'inspired' by ANH.

Technically you are right about switching sides between Vader and Finn, but that comparison just seems so off in light of how important Vader was the entire saga versus Finn. There wouldn't be any Finn fanboys in Episodes X-infinity like there is with Kylo Ren.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2016, 12:37:39 pm »
Just when you thought the show was over...

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2016, 05:11:50 pm »
Just when you thought the show was over...

Can believe people are bitching about another female lead...

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2016, 03:25:07 am »

Are they?  ???

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2016, 04:55:57 am »

Are they?  ???

This is America; there is always going to be someone complaining about something and finding like-minded people on the internet.  We could cure all disease someone would complain about it and others would agree.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:38 am »
Or maybe that folks are "bitching" about potentially having another Katniss on screen?

Better yet, Forest Whitaker is an Academy Award winning actor with three decades of critically acclaimed major and independent motion pictures under his belt. Donnie Yen is a talented actor and GLOBAL martial arts icon whose last film was the one who knocked the last Star Wars film out of the box office top spot IN ASIA. They appear in the trailer for seconds.

Kindly point out to me the trailer for a major blockbuster where a virtually unknown actress of color was pushed to the forefront to promote it over a white Academy darling and a bona-fide white box office star.

Hey but "bitching"
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2016, 05:05:47 pm »
! No longer available
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2016, 05:38:24 pm »
Or maybe that folks are "bitching" about potentially having another Katniss on screen?

Better yet, Forest Whitaker is an Academy Award winning actor with three decades of critically acclaimed major and independent motion pictures under his belt. Donnie Yen is a talented actor and GLOBAL martial arts icon whose last film was the one who knocked the last Star Wars film out of the box office top spot IN ASIA. They appear in the trailer for seconds.

Kindly point out to me the trailer for a major blockbuster where a virtually unknown actress of color was pushed to the forefront to promote it over a white Academy darling and a bona-fide white box office star.

Hey but "bitching"

Good points.

Offline mayday

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2016, 10:42:02 am »
I feel duped, that brotha was every bug eyed, frightened coon there ever was. If this is inclusion, leave me out of it. I would've been fine with Peaches on monitor duty and shots of Julius and them flying X-Wings.

Finn got his name from a white man and then stole his jacket. After that he went white girl crazy, told her a bunch of lies to get her, when he finally did, he left her out in the cold and then went through hell trying to get her back.

I'm exaggerating a little bit, but not a whole lot. I was really disappointed dude was such whack sauce he ended up comatose and about the bait and switch with Luke's lightsaber. I get the symmetry of who you thought was going to be Han and who you thought was going to be Luke, were actually reversed, but overall it didn't sit well with me.

It also pissed me off that I kept waiting on Lupita Nyong'o and she played an unrecognizable shriveled orange peel lady that could have been anybody.

Speaking of anybody, anybody that couldn't tell Rey was dude's sister and Han and Leia's daughter, had to be as slow on the uptake as Finn. That's why she was so good with machinery like Anakin and kept using the force without knowing it.

And what was up with Gene Simmons grandson Kylo Ren? He had a hell of a noggin didn't he? He took that helmet off and I was like "Pleeeeease put your helmet back on". J.J. Abrams could have quit with the close-ups, the movie was already in I-Max 3D, I did not need to get that close to that man's ugly cranium. It was a head of it's time.

Did we really need a third Death Star with an easily exploitable weakness? The First Order and Empire are both slow learners. That was one too many trips down memory lane and it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'd already tried to overlook the outrageous coincidences that coincided with the first film, like the droid with secrets wanted by the bad guys and the fortuitous way characters kept meeting up, but the super-sized Death Star really took me out of the movie.

All that's not to say I didn't enjoy it, because I did, but it could have been so much better and more original. I walked out angry and wishing the film was based on Timothy Zahn's books, they would have made a superior sequel.

Bruh, my thought exactly !
Pure TRASH....