Author Topic: Iron Man (animated) movie  (Read 3579 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Iron Man (animated) movie
« on: January 25, 2007, 05:40:46 am »
I picked up the Iron Man movie (the animated one) and watched it yesterday.

All in all, I found it superior to Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2. 

Oh, and this James Rhodes is a scientist in his own right; not just a pilot/body guard and whatever else JR did for Tony in the mainstream comics.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Iron Man (animated) movie
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:49:46 pm »
good stuff.. I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars--

Mandarin's origin is revamped as well... more mysticism involved..

some good mixing of 2-D and CGI in the overall animation..

we get to see a couple different armors in action.. (and a glimpse of several more)..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 07:23:41 am »
BLACK PANTHER CAMEO IN THE MOVIE!!!!

Well not really in the movie itself but in the credits.  Look at the background comic panels around 1:21:40.  black panther is the only other superhero you see in the panels in the end credits! ;D

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 06:04:56 pm »
Did they point out that an emperor of China can't be called a 'mandarin'?  :-\ That's the name of a public official after all.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Yaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 06:32:33 pm »
Did they point out that an emperor of China can't be called a 'mandarin'?  :-\ That's the name of a public official after all.

the mandarin is not an emperor.  He's more of a mystical being that can only use the body of a live person as a vessel once they possess the rings.  It's not at all like the 616 story.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 06:53:27 pm »

the mandarin is not an emperor.  He's more of a mystical being that can only use the body of a live person as a vessel once they possess the rings.  It's not at all like the 616 story.

Good, I find the 616 version to be outdated and misinformed.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:37:50 am »

As I understand it, the Mandarin in the movie was an emporer predating all in China's history, especially if you watch the alternate ending.

But what's outdated about the original origin?  I kindof prefer the idea of a man with dilusions of grandeour finding the ten alien rings, over the mystic origin of this movie.  The name might be a bad choice, but science fiction origins aren't outdated. 

This guy is so far from the mainstream Manderin--he doesn't even have ten rings--he has 4 rings and a bracelet--that there was no point in call him the Manderin. 

Still, I liked the movie.

Offline Yaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 07:29:26 am »

As I understand it, the Mandarin in the movie was an emporer predating all in China's history, especially if you watch the alternate ending.

But what's outdated about the original origin?  I kindof prefer the idea of a man with dilusions of grandeour finding the ten alien rings, over the mystic origin of this movie.  The name might be a bad choice, but science fiction origins aren't outdated. 

This guy is so far from the mainstream Manderin--he doesn't even have ten rings--he has 4 rings and a bracelet--that there was no point in call him the Manderin. 

Still, I liked the movie.

yeah the number of rings was a play on the whole elemental thing although the elements didn't represent traditional Chinese elements (wood, fire, water, earth metal).

I think I preferred the 616 Mandarin to this as well.  I mean I think I could have dug this Mandarin but he was unnecessarily short-lived.  I mena this MAndarin technically is immortal since he can possess anyone so from a comic perspective his story could be further developed instead of the end-of-the-movie cameo of Iron MAn's longest and most powerful archenemy.

I also didn't really care for the "let's make a suit of Iron that  I can use to rescue us with with crappy materials but when we get back I have a stadium full of hitech Iron Man armors that I kept secret from everyone."  Sorry that was lame.  If he had those armors in the first place, he should have taken them when he went to go "rescue" Rhodey.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 07:58:33 am »
i need to rent or borrow this movie.
shucks, i need to see avengers 2 as well.
but if i walk a couple more weeks, i know cartoon network will show iron man.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 08:01:21 am »
The 616 Mandarin claims he's a descendant of the Khans to justify his grand ambitions. The Khans were not Chinese, they were Mongols. Genghis Khan is a national hero in modern Mongolia. So that boast alone would not get him any respect in China. His alliance with the Hand would have given him a death sentence from the government, not more fear. His costumes were also ridiculous by Chinese standards. In one he looked half-naked and the rest were simple, western takes on Chinese design.

I can see why that alternate ending wasn't used. History already has better records and legends of the earliest Chinese emperors. If the animated Mandarin ruled before written history, then he couldn't have ruled China because it didn't exist back then. He could only have ruled one of the small kingdoms, whose cultures paled in comparison to a unified China.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 11:55:29 am »
Good movie. I enjoyed the upgrade to Rhodey's status.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 05:46:35 am »
The 616 Mandarin claims he's a descendant of the Khans to justify his grand ambitions. The Khans were not Chinese, they were Mongols. Genghis Khan is a national hero in modern Mongolia. So that boast alone would not get him any respect in China. His alliance with the Hand would have given him a death sentence from the government, not more fear. His costumes were also ridiculous by Chinese standards. In one he looked half-naked and the rest were simple, western takes on Chinese design.

So, basically, your problem with the original Maderin story is the culture, not the science fiction?  Yeah, with a better understanding of Chinese culture, Manderin culturally could be more "accurate."  (Hmm, of course one way to play off the inaccuracies, is to make the Manderin a Western-born Asian man who's understanding of China is a product of his own skewed research.)  Though, if he felt he was a desendants of the Khans, why wouldn't Stan just call him KHAN.  It's an equally good sounding name to Manderin.  (And since that would have predated, Star Trek the Wrath of Khan, I would be able to read the word Khan without hearing Willaim Shattner yelling KHAN.)

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 09:13:24 pm »

So, basically, your problem with the original Maderin story is the culture, not the science fiction?  Yeah, with a better understanding of Chinese culture, Manderin culturally could be more "accurate."  (Hmm, of course one way to play off the inaccuracies, is to make the Manderin a Western-born Asian man who's understanding of China is a product of his own skewed research.)

Yep, for example, you wouldn't mistake a Maasai for a Zulu, right?