Author Topic: Roots remake trailer  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Roots remake trailer
« on: February 14, 2016, 08:39:07 pm »
! No longer available

Slavery's all the rage right now. Very in vogue.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Roots remake trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 03:26:09 pm »
Slavery's all the rage right now. Very in vogue.

It certainly seems that way, Emperorjones...
Say, did you know that there is an estimated 35.8 million active slaves on planet Earth today?  Again, this is just an estimate which means there are far more that aren't even documented.  According to CNN, slavery was found in every one of the 167 countries surveyed, six countries -- India, China, Korea, Pakistan, Uzbekistan and Russia -- accounted for nearly 22 million people (61%) suffering in bondage. The worst offender, India, accounted for an estimated 14.29 million people.

Would You Like To Know More?
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/17/world/walk-free-global-slavery-index-2014/

Anyway...

Saw the first episode, and just a few observations...  Beautiful production. Wonderfully shot. Much, much, much, much, much, much... MUCH slicker, cohesive, modern storytelling style. Definitely compliments the original in so many ways.

Malachi Kirby's Kunte Kinte is a chiseled and defined presentation compared to Levar Burton's version considering that as this story begins in this updated version, there is a historical prologue that gives a clear understanding why Kunta's resilience was so persistent and was clearly developed as a more goal-oriented, freshly trained warrior captured from his native tribe in Africa.

I really liked the warrior training sequences.

I don't believe I've ever seen Forest Whitaker in a film project and he didn't give 110% dating as far back as the first time I'd seen him in 'Fast Times At Richmont High'.

A fun scene is where Henry the Fiddler is reluctantly tasked with getting Kunta acquainted with his slave name, Toby, given to him by the woman of the house.
Kunte Kinte: "Mandinka!!!  Kunte Kinte!!!"
The Fiddler groaned, "It's gonna be a long Summer."   :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:42:59 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 03:11:48 am »
http://www.politico.eu/article/migration-refugees-crisis-adds-to-europes-slavery-problem-report/

Right... thanks for updating that report.

So...   what did you think of the television series remake?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 01:19:11 pm »
Battle,

You're welcome. I haven't watched it yet. I haven't psyched myself up enough for it. I'm tired of slavery films. Though this one, promising a greater exploration of Mandinka culture intrigues me. What do you think of it so far?

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 12:27:32 pm »
What do you think of it so far?

Another observation in the production is that whenever you see Ruth E. Carter's name on a movie project, the costume design in the period look is guaranteed to be thoroughly researched.

Was relieved that T.I. playing a Union soldier veteran surviving after the massacre at that Fort during the Civil War almost unscathed, was the worst that could have happened to him.

I might have seen Mario Van Peebles name somewhere between episodes.

Loved the visual sequence where Narrator Lawrence Fishburne makes the genealogical connections to all of the major characters leading directly to Kunte Kinte.

Did anyone notice the visual similarity between Chicken George and his wife to President Obama and his wife?

Very clever to have Anna Paquin play a character that is the complete opposite of young Spanish queen from Amistad.

Battle,

You're welcome. I haven't watched it yet. I haven't psyched myself up enough for it. I'm tired of slavery films. Though this one, promising a greater exploration of Mandinka culture intrigues me.

This past Sunday on MSNBC both  talk shows AM JOY hosted by Joy Reid and Politics Nation hosted by Rev. Al Sharpton invited Levar Burton as a guest to talk about his upcoming show, 'ROOTS' and was asked why it was important to re-tell this story today. Considering the success rate of a stable of other similar period shows such as Django unchained, Game of Thrones, Black Sails, Hell on Wheels, Cloud Atlas, Free State of Jones, Mercy Street and Brokedown Palace to name a few, Mr. Burton noted that the timing of re-telling this story could not have been better because this is everyone's story.

To reduce the examples I've cited including 'Roots' itself, to a slavery film, would be an injustice to the everyone who participated in bringing this series  to the Red Carpet and making you appear short-sighted.  'Roots' is the kind of subject matter that catches 85ers off-guard where one could feel a predictable emotional response like shame, shock, anger and indignation, which is a impulsive reaction...   ...a somewhat normal reaction to a human atrocity (yes, slavery is an atrocity) but a reaction nonetheless...
--- or ---
one could view the subject matter with emotional intelligence and instead feel courageous, inspired, enlightened and confident.
So why not be brave? Why not be courageous? Why not feel confident and knowledgeable, Snoop Dee-Oh-Double Gee?  Feel knowledgeable and powerful that we can learn from 'Roots' lest we repeat the same mistakes of America's dirty past.

Now, let me ask you:

What did you think of the series?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:37:03 pm by Battle »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 12:56:39 pm »
I have not watched the Roots remake, and I might not. I'm not sure if you're hurling insults at Snoop or me, or both of us, but I don't think that's called for. All of the examples you listed, not all the 'period' films or shows that deal expressly with the Atlantic Slave Trade or its horrific impact and after effects. Roots was specifically supposed to tell one black man and his families sojourn through slavery, Reconstruction, and so on. So the original Roots, and I'm assuming the remake are very much slave stories. And if they are not, what would you call them? Changing the name of the castor oil doesn't change the taste.

Game of Thrones, seriously? Hell on Wheels takes place after the Civil War, though Common's ex-slave character and the shadow of slavery and the racism of that time do factor heavily into that show, from what I saw of it.

I think you've forgotten that Tarantino criticized the original Roots in the run-up to Django Unchained and felt his film could provide more of a right of passage for young blacks. And Free State of Jones looks like a film about a white savior set in the Civil War. How much time is it going to devote to the black characters and their struggle, or will it likely subsume all that under the allegedly 'colorblind' class struggle? And I'm sure it will not deal with how white racism played a part in destroying the black-white Populist Party alliance.

Instead of revisiting a story that was told 40 years ago, why not tell a new story? If its a slave narrative, why not one about Harriet Tubman-to capitalize off the Treasury Department decision, or Frederick Douglass, or so on? Though why not tell a story about the Maroons, the Seminoles, Gabriel Prosser, Denmark Vesey, the Haitians, the Africans that resisted colonization? Why not, I don't know, tell a story about what Africans were like before slavery and colonization, before white and Arab encroachment?

I feel no loyalty and am shedding any obligation or guilt to 'support' these slave stories they are pushing in the media, because while blacks are out front selling them, who is funding and producing them? Even Alex Haley was sued for plagiarism so the authenticity of Roots itself is in doubt.

And trotting out the names of Sharpton or Joy Reid definitely are not pluses in your corner. Both are flunkies for MSNBC and Obama. I like Burton a lot from the original Roots, but mainly from Star Trek and Reading Rainbow, but I don't think Roots is 'everybody's story', I think that's some b.s. marketing crap. It is meant to be our story and if you let Hollywood tell it, our only story  (well maybe toss in the Civil Rights and inner city hell stories as well; so one long cinematic nightmare). Our origin story as far as they are concerned.

I don't think its courageous to watch Roots and whether or not it is inspiring is debatable. I would encourage instead that people actually read Roots, other slave narratives, and other books about black history and the black condition period. And stop looking to Hollywood and white people to finally 'get' us, and 'understand' us, and 'sympathize/empathize' with us, and then bring us into their family.

Now the bone I pick with Snoop is that he has money, he has influence. He could be doing more, or at least getting together some of his rich friends to put out the kind of content he wants to see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Party_(United_States)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:01:14 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 03:06:15 am »
I have not watched the Roots remake, and I might not. I'm not sure if ...

I stopped reading right there...
Do you normally start a discussion post without  actually viewing  the content you want to talk about? ???

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 03:50:37 am »
Battle,

I said earlier that I had not watched the remake. So why is this an issue? To me you just don't want to deal with what I'm saying so you block it out and you use that as a convenient excuse. Similar to the political discussions you have your set beliefs (or to be real about it I think you are in a cocoon and you want to stay there), and you can't accept information or opinion that challenges those beliefs, which of course is your right.

I didn't bring up all those other movies/shows, you did. I didn't bring in MSNBC, you did. You followed along with the idea of putting this remake into a larger context (with a little helping of shade BTW) and I responded to that. I did not discuss the content of the remake because I have not seen it. So while I  have not watched this particular remake, I am knowledgeable about some of the other things you mentioned and since you don't have any reasons why the Roots remake isn't "just a slave" film, like you contended earlier, it's easier for you to just dismiss what I write while still retaining some moral high ground in your mind.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:52:38 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 10:02:55 am »
Battle,

I said earlier that I had not watched the remake. So why is this an issue?

<eyes glazed >
 ???

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 03:23:10 pm »
I'm not surprised really that you're eyes are glazed over.

Offline daingermouz20

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 10:54:10 am »
I have seen bits n pieces of it. It looks slicker. I am however a little biased for the original just because it contained a who's who cast of black and white TV actors whom we all grew up with from the 50's,60's and 70's.