Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - BP's "Black" Creatives *ARTIST * Dwayne Turner  (Read 425647 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - BP's "Black" Creatives *ARTIST * Billy Graham
« Reply #3165 on: January 10, 2020, 11:12:13 am »
During his stint at college, Dwayne Turner was freelancing for Marvel. His work at that time included 'Transformers' and 'The Hulk'. Dwayne also worked for the Distinguish Competition doing a mini-series called 'Power of the Atom. He alongside Neal Adams worked on 'Ms Mystic' and Dwayne Turner also illustrated trading cards for Continuity. He did the artwork for 1992's  'Cage' and worked on DC's 'Sovereign Seven'. Dwayne Turner also worked on 'Curse of the Spawn' and 'Spawn: the Undead'. Why Mr Turner is on this list of course is for his lending his talents to Marvel for the mini-series 'Black Panther: Panther's Prey' written by Don McGregor in 1991.

Used to read 'Ms. Mystic' back-in-th'-day.  :)

Those books are extremely difficult to find, however, if you are fortunate enough to find 'em…

--- watch out!  ;D

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - BP's "Black" Creatives *ARTIST * Dwayne Turner
« Reply #3166 on: January 13, 2020, 11:50:51 pm »
During his stint at college, Dwayne Turner was freelancing for Marvel. His work at that time included 'Transformers' and 'The Hulk'. Dwayne also worked for the Distinguish Competition doing a mini-series called 'Power of the Atom. He alongside Neal Adams worked on 'Ms Mystic' and Dwayne Turner also illustrated trading cards for Continuity. He did the artwork for 1992's  'Cage' and worked on DC's 'Sovereign Seven'. Dwayne Turner also worked on 'Curse of the Spawn' and 'Spawn: the Undead'. Why Mr Turner is on this list of course is for his lending his talents to Marvel for the mini-series 'Black Panther: Panther's Prey' written by Don McGregor in 1991.

Used to read 'Ms. Mystic' back-in-th'-day.  :)

Those books are extremely difficult to find, however, if you are fortunate enough to find 'em…

--- watch out!
  ;D

I never took the opportunity to read Ms. Mystic. Was that out around the time that Image Comics, Wildstorm, Top Cow and  America's Best Comic were the it comics? If so I was reading WildC.A.T.S, Stormwatch, Genął, Wetworks, and The Authority. Cyberforce, Wetworks. Backlash, Grifter and Voodoo. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Spawn, Witchblade and The Darkness. All along side reading the big two and whatever Black Panther I could find. Comic books what a life.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:53:37 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3167 on: January 14, 2020, 12:04:32 am »
Dwayne Turner's art gave us our then latest BP villain Solomon Prey.

Prey for my taste would evolve into something more along Afrakan mythological lines and come from a remote region of Wakanda or a different country all together. The latter sets up a potential BP horror story.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3168 on: January 14, 2020, 12:24:24 am »
Finally Dwayne turner gave us the most sexually charged comic book of the Black Panther era.

Next up Denys Cowan

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: January 14, 2020, 04:09:38 am »
I never took the opportunity to read Ms. Mystic. Was that out around the time that Image Comics, Wildstorm, Top Cow and  America's Best Comic were the it comics? If so I was reading WildC.A.T.S, Stormwatch, Genął, Wetworks, and The Authority. Cyberforce, Wetworks. Backlash, Grifter and Voodoo. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Spawn, Witchblade and The Darkness. All along side reading the big two and whatever Black Panther I could find. Comic books what a life.

'Ms. Mystic' was an acquired taste; wasn't the kind of title you could rely on every month.   :)

Stumbled across 'Ms. Mystic' at Forbidden Planet, a popular comicbook shop in downtown Manhattan back in '85.  Only picked the book up because Neal Adams was the creative force behind the title.

Would you believe it took over 22 years just to find issue #2 for a mere buck at a comicbook shop in Florence, South Carolina just 10 years ago?  ;D

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3170 on: January 14, 2020, 07:52:30 pm »

'Ms. Mystic' was an acquired taste; wasn't the kind of title you could rely on every month.   :)

Stumbled across 'Ms. Mystic' at Forbidden Planet, a popular comicbook shop in downtown Manhattan back in '85.  Only picked the book up because Neal Adams was the creative force behind the title.

Would you believe it took over 22 years just to find issue #2 for a mere buck at a comicbook shop in Florence, South Carolina just 10 years ago?  ;D

Whoa, small multiverse. I was introduced to Forbidden Planet around 1990. Got into Midtown too. My fav SC comic shop was Silver City in Columbia. Shout out to SC Heroes and Dragons. Philly still holds the title for the greatest comic store of all time Fatjack's Comic Crypt. Can't forget to mention Amalgam (da future of comic shops), Atomic City and Brave New Worlds.