Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 801964 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
I never respected race lifting. I don't see any value in taking an establshed character who has been defined by their creators as being white and race swapping them, more times than not, "black". It is a thinly veiled insult that caters to diversity and inclusion seekers who see themselves as just another shade of white.

This penchant to prove one's self worth by sacrificing one's traditional culture, race heritage and their people's autonomyfor the privilage of being absorbed and integrated into the white mainstream is analogous to being chewed up, digested and shat out.

In the comic bookverse the Black Panther stands among the elite of examples that can be exploited as Afrakan Power Fantasy but instead of maximizing that potential the character and his world flounders in the mundane. Crack yesterday, queers and feminism today, race swapping tomorrow.

Though some criticize his execution and voicing of Black Panther,  conceptually Hudlin delivered the best ideas of cultural empowerment and futurism. He literally left no stone unturned.  It was he who introduced the ten thousand years of being unconquered to the Wakandan mythos, thus mitigating such trivialities as Wakandan youth using crack.

Hudlin created Shuri a female Black Panther and made mention that there were females who wore the mantle of Black Panther; needless to say he married T'Challa and Ororo. A monogamous marriage at that for all you anti polygamy fans. No need to manufacture gender inequality or argue feminism, just build on the foundation of Afrakan queenship, Afrakan goddess and god theology and the Afrakan family. It is all right there.

Coatesverse Panther reads almost like non-fan fiction. The kind of disempowering, make an apologetically appeasing to whites with a heavy dose of so called black dysfunction while catering to the LGBT kind of fiction. 

Any attempt to make the Black Panther white, race lift any major or supporting characters, or the gentrification of Wakanda should be met with online protest and a boycott of all things and companies related to such an affront.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:32:47 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
well sh*t i thought I posted this here too lol.

It is a good stand alone scene for sure, but I am glad it got cut from the movie. Not essential at all.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
I don't wanna get banned from CBR again so i'll just say it here...

It still amazes me how people argue things about Black Panther... yet its apparent they haven't even read his major runs.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Haters gonna hate no matter what you do, whats crazy is when anything posted about BP came up like on facebook and all the "Fans since priest run" popped up yet if asked a question by ew fans or people interested, they couldn't answer the question or you could tell their answer was based on a wiki search

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Haters gonna hate no matter what you do, whats crazy is when anything posted about BP came up like on facebook and all the "Fans since priest run" popped up yet if asked a question by ew fans or people interested, they couldn't answer the question or you could tell their answer was based on a wiki search

Ugh, everytime BP is brought up on FB, i honestly just want to vomit

"hes so OP!"

"so hes Batman!"

ugh

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
Ugh, everytime BP is brought up on FB, i honestly just want to vomit

"hes so OP!"

"so hes Batman!"

ugh

I dunno about you, but those type of people I enjoy going hard at. The ones who call him OP and such, I enjoy making fools of.

Offline Booshman

• View Profile

I'm always initially skeptical of people who name drop Priest (usually to bash Hudlin), like he's their "Black Best Friend" of BP writers. With the sheer volume of people who quickly type his name out as a past supporter, and in an obvious self-protecting manner, you'd think that Priest's BP run sold as many issues as the X-men did in their prime. The entirety of the 90's.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:00:35 pm by Booshman »

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
I concur with you Wakandan. My suggestion of T'Challa marrying the Dora Milaje was meant to show that there are a multitude of directions to take the Black Panther.  I think your suggestion is a good idea.

Mr Curry. If only such detail and commentary were plyed to the diversity lacking, absentee black feminist nation of yours...I don't see you insisting on LGBT inclusion in the shallows of the aquatic sea king's comic book who's moniker you've so adorned.

No worries,  a more serious reply after a good night's sleep.

Lol.

Atlantis' black people are on land in a nearby island close to the water but not submerged in it...for some reason they can't swim well.

Awaiting "a more serious reply"...lol
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:10:06 pm by A.Curry »

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
There is a petition asking to race swap Black Panther and make him white. Who didn't see this BS coming.

Here the link.
http://www.change.org/p/marvel-make-black-panther-white

Something about this reads disingenuous.  A so called black, negro, person of color being the author behind this for one.

Everytime some character gets race swapped, there are a slew of "why not make Black Panther and Luke Cage white!!" posts.

Which for 1) goes to show how mainstream black heroes are because that is literally all they can name, 2) goes to show how ignorant they are of those characters. Those 2 are probably one of the few characters in the MU that are 100% defined by their race.

I would say Misty Knight and Storm are though I guess it's arguable.

Thing is, I can almost see why they'd have this silly reaction...I agree with everything Ture said about "race-swapping" of characters and it's getting ridiculous.  We needed a biracial Mary Jane?  It's lazy, insulting, and forced.  Create new black characters and build up existing ones...unfortunately many of us eat it up wanting to see a "black Spider-Man" or James Bond because we don't have any belief or trust that any original black characters would succeed...so just latch onto the existing legacy of one already established.

Lazy as hell.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
I don't mind it for supporting characteers like MJ, Heimdell, Valkryie. Wasn't a fan of race swapping actual important characters like Human Torch and Aquaman though.

Its 2016 and we just got T'challa on screen. 8 X-men movies in and Storm ain't done sh*t. The "create new characters" thing is like... decades from the big screen. Can't even get new poc characters established in comics.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
There is a petition asking to race swap Black Panther and make him white. Who didn't see this BS coming.

Here the link.
http://www.change.org/p/marvel-make-black-panther-white

Something about this reads disingenuous.  A so called black, negro, person of color being the author behind this for one.

Everytime some character gets race swapped, there are a slew of "why not make Black Panther and Luke Cage white!!" posts.

Which for 1) goes to show how mainstream black heroes are because that is literally all they can name, 2) goes to show how ignorant they are of those characters. Those 2 are probably one of the few characters in the MU that are 100% defined by their race.

I would say Misty Knight and Storm are though I guess it's arguable.

Thing is, I can almost see why they'd have this silly reaction...I agree with everything Ture said about "race-swapping" of characters and it's getting ridiculous.  We needed a biracial Mary Jane?  It's lazy, insulting, and forced.  Create new black characters and build up existing ones...unfortunately many of us eat it up wanting to see a "black Spider-Man" or James Bond because we don't have any belief or trust that any original black characters would succeed...so just latch onto the existing legacy of one already established.

Lazy as hell.

I'm one of those that is really big on keep said character's appearance as consistant to the source material as possible (within reason, of course). Def not a fan of racebending.

As for the the bold, I'd like to take it further: I think most (not all) blerds / nerds of color aren't into diversity as much as they claim. Rather, they want a seat at the cool kids' table, if that makes sense.

If diversity was indeed a priority to them, books prominently featuring well-portrayed black characters would sell much better. There wouldn't be much of a need to introduce new characters via established mantles.

Reality is, despite the insistence to the contrary, blerds / nerds of color can surprisingly be just as conservative as their white counterparts in many, many ways.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:15:34 pm by The Wakandan »

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
I don't mind it for supporting characteers like MJ, Heimdell, Valkryie. Wasn't a fan of race swapping actual important characters like Human Torch and Aquaman though.

Importance can be a bit subjective though. MJ, for example, is not only a key supporting character to Peter Parker (if not the most popular one), she is also his main, longest, and most popular love interest. I'm sure many people consider her important in the Spideyverse. Her race may not be a factor to the character, but I don't blame those that felt some type of way about a possible appearance change.

For example (As far as I know) Rhodey as a character isn't defined by his race. He could be racebent and his character doesn't change much, if at all. Yet, I'm sure a lot of us--if not, all of us--would not like such a change. One could fairly say that non-white characters aren't shown much, thus its not right or fair to racebend Rhodey. However, I'm all about consistency. I fear that one day, all the racebending is gonna bite black fans in particular in the ass, as a character we either love or have a lot of respect for ends up changed.

Also, on a personal level, I'm sure Heimdell, Valkyrie, and others (Valkyrie in particular) could have a lot of fans that have followed them throughout the years and are used to seeing them appear in a certain way. Those characters may not be the most important characters in the grand scheme of things, but I def don't blame their fans (or comic book readers in general) for wanting said characters to look a certain way, especially then the source material presented them that way for decades.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Well that's true. In a perfect world everything would be kept as close as possible to the comics appearance

But then every movie would be sooooo white. It wouldn't look like "our world" at all.

Personally, for me, other than gaining strength on fanboy tears... I don't care at all. The movies could be white as ivory and it wouldn't effect me. Im past the age that would effect me one iota and my kids (while mixed) pass as white so its not like they won't see "people that look like them" on screen.

But, then again, I think I would just settle for the few color'd people who show up on screen getting respect. Falcon was cool. Rhodey sucked. X-men found the one black dude in their comics and then killed him, added a black girl and made her a stripper traitor. Then made apocalypse white people vs POC lol.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Well that's true. In a perfect world everything would be kept as close as possible to the comics appearance

But then every movie would be sooooo white. It wouldn't look like "our world" at all.

There are ways to show that said characters are in the diverse area, even if the main cast is mostly of a certain race.

As for the movies possibly being really white...well, the MCU is hella white as is so it might not be much of a factor with the audience lol.

Personally, for me, other than gaining strength on fanboy tears... I don't care at all. The movies could be white as ivory and it wouldn't effect me. Im past the age that would effect me one iota and my kids (while mixed) pass as white so its not like they won't see "people that look like them" on screen.

But, then again, I think I would just settle for the few color'd people who show up on screen getting respect. Falcon was cool. Rhodey sucked. X-men found the one black dude in their comics and then killed him, added a black girl and made her a stripper traitor. Then made apocalypse white people vs POC lol.

I think the bold is the most important thing. When black characters are shown, their portrayal must be on point. In the end, people love and remember good characters.

People still talk positively about T'Challa's portrayal to this day. Many have lots of positive things to say about Falcon. Rhodey, not as much. However, Rhodey's portrayal is still better than those of the black characters in the Fox-verse though, and ppl notice.

Characters have been racebent before (Heimdall for example) and in the grand scheme of things, it didn't help either the movie or the character much, if at all. MBJ as Johnny Storm def wasn't gonna do anything to help the trainwreck that was the recent FF.

Those that want more black/non-white characters in an MCU movie will get their wish when the BP movie comes out. Hopefully they'll put their money where their mouth is and support the movie (assuming the movie is good).