Author Topic: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther  (Read 616088 times)

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Re: Reparations and Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther
« Reply #1260 on: September 14, 2016, 02:18:39 pm »

What? Did? Coates? JUST? DO?

Dammit, broken image link. One Second....

http://io9.gizmodo.com/ta-nehisi-coates-explains-how-hes-turning-black-panther-1786632598?rev=1473882622550&utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Just read the interview.

A lot of longtime fan are gonna have a lot of....opinions...about this one.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Reparations and Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther
« Reply #1261 on: September 14, 2016, 03:48:35 pm »
Iím afraid that this interview with Coates, has merely confirmed that he really doesnít have a clue as to what heís currently doing with the Black Panther mythos.

TíChalla has never in the entirety of his pre-Coates existence, been solely portrayed as this uber-unstoppable or infallible protagonist that many of the characters detractors have been fond of mischaracterising him as being.

This is a character who prior to Priest revitalizing him, had been in creative limbo for just under sixteen years and who prior to that, had spent more than a few years languishing at the back of the proverbial bus, shouting out warnings to the Avengers just before getting knocked unconcious by whichever threat said Avengers were facing at the time.

TíChalla was that noble negro, stalwart in friendship and long in flowery prose, that appeared occasionally in a few books as a guest whilst the rest of the MU marched merrily on.

All that changed with Priest bringing TíChalla back in style and when his run ended, Reginald Hudlin took up the gauntlet, and delivered a TíChalla and Wakanda that were extremely confident and fully capable of dealing with all threats on some straight up, in your face 10,000 year old advanced civilization (unsullied by Western imperialism) ish.

Reginald Hudlin treated TíChalla and his world as the A-list concepts that Lee and Kirby launched all the way back in 1966 and for that, he recieved crazy amounts of pushback from readers more invested in TíChalla and his people being portrayed as chumps.

To me, the fact that post Jonathan Hickmanís Secret Wars II, all of TíChallaís best ANAD MU appearances have occured outside of his own solo book whilst Coates has filled said solo with rape camps and rampant misogyny within Wakanda, tells me all I need to know about this writers agenda laden approach to TíChalla as a character and Wakanda as an intellectual concept.

I somehow doubt, that he would have been so quick to introduce rape camps and rampant stereotypical misogyny into an X-Men or Spiderman centred book but I suppose itís much easier to push Boko Haram inflected aesthetics through the most technologically and spiritually advanced nation on MU Earth as opposed to actually showing them being an advanced and resilient in the face of adversity.

Coates is a complete and utter idiot as far as writing the BP mythos goes.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1262 on: September 15, 2016, 07:26:02 am »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1263 on: September 15, 2016, 10:54:51 am »
Medusa and T'challa had fisticuffs in UI #13

here are teh panels

http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/2016/09/tchalla-vs-medusa-in-uncanny-inhumans-13.html

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: September 15, 2016, 11:57:37 am »
Medusa and T'challa had fisticuffs in UI #13

here are teh panels

http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/2016/09/tchalla-vs-medusa-in-uncanny-inhumans-13.html

I wouldn't complain about that showing at all. Why can't T'Challa be this capable in his own book lol. Taking on real threats and beign capable and confident. Seriously when it TaH coming out? i wanna see him through down with he heavy hitter

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1265 on: September 15, 2016, 02:07:18 pm »
Clearly fight scenes. Hardest thing to do. Thing I hope to be better at in S2. #bp6Ta-Nehisi Coates added,
Hassan OtsmaneElhaou @HassanOE
@tanehisicoates In terms of actually writing for comics, what has been the biggest learning curve from journalism to that? #bp6

If people keep buying, I'll keep writing. We gonna ride to the wheels come off. #BP6Ta-Nehisi Coates added,
Luke Vaughan @LucasUseDaForce
@tanehisicoates Is there any chance you write past s2?

Amadaeus Cho @gregpak and me will find a way. #BP6Ta-Nehisi Coates added,
James Dooley @jackaldredux
@tanehisicoates Is there any characters you want to write for in conjunction with T'Challa? Any crossovers, collaborations, etc.? #BP6

Yup. #BP6Ta-Nehisi Coates added,
kach @kachdaddy
@tanehisicoates #bp6 do you think we'll ever get any t'challa x miles morales direct interactions?

Glad to see people sticking around. It's a slow book. Was afraid people would check out right away. Haven't. #bp6Ta-Nehisi Coates added,
Thelonious Legend @TheLegendBooks
@tanehisicoates #BP6 Your comics landed with a bang & have been some of the best sellers how rewarding is that? & r u assisting on BP movie?

"This Is What Happens When You Invade Wakanda."Ta-Nehisi Coates added,
Bird Person @ArieseBernard
@tanehisicoates #bp6 this is one my favorite panther panels ever, whats your #1?

Dunno. But when we're done she'll have earned it. #bp6Ta-Nehisi Coates added,
paopao @uncannyinhumans
@tanehisicoates will Shuri have her own superhero title? #BP6

Easy. T'Challa's THE hero. #bp6Ta-Nehisi Coates added,
Andrew Gael @bkdidact
@tanehisicoates I'm interested in your personal POV. Who's the hero? T'challa or the Midnight Angels? Or is it a grey area?

12 year old me. This is the book I wanted to read. #bp6Ta-Nehisi Coates added,

Comicidal Terrahawks @ComicidalTHawks
@tanehisicoates so your excellent book "Between The World and Me" was for your son. Who is this run for? #pb6

Yup. With an assist from @yonaharvey. I'm intrigued by her too. I find her fascinating. She's so frank and abrupt.Ta-Nehisi Coates added,
Bryan May @JBryanMay
@tanehisicoates I am intrigued so much by Zenzi. Will you be going deeper into her story? #bp6

s2 #bp6Ta-Nehisi Coates added,
Comicidal Terrahawks @ComicidalTHawks
@tanehisicoates yo. where is Queen Justice Divine now that the Midnight Angels have slain her cousin and claimed the crystal jungle?

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #1266 on: September 16, 2016, 12:02:01 am »

Coates is a hack. There is no sophistication or nuance in his writing. His iteration of the Black Panther reads like he got the writing job under false pretenses. His research methods scream Google and Wikipedia. Coates disembowels and renders impotent the title character while pretending to be a fan. Coatesverse Panther may entice the novice comic book reader or newbie Black Panther fan but any BP enthusiast can see that Coates has no idea of what a Black Panther story should entail. This is what happens when a slave mentality pretending to be a captive's mentality tries to write an autonomous mentality.

Sixties styled protests and marches; the uninformative, redundant board meetings; red shirts parachuting into jungles full of huts and spears; shooting himself up with Doom's old nanites; restructuring T'Challa's reason for joining the Avengers; needing the less than impressive powers of The Crew to handle this pathetic uprising. The only good thing about Coates' iteration of the Black Panther is it can all be undone and retconned by a good writer. Don't worry, sales for this book will be dropping soon and then Marvel will have to contend with how to produce the real Black Panther because Coatesverse Panther certainly isn't.

If Coogler is being influenced by Hickman and or Coates then the Black Panther feature film is doomed

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: September 16, 2016, 05:58:45 am »

Coates is a hack. There is no sophistication or nuance in his writing. His iteration of the Black Panther reads like he got the writing job under false pretenses. His research methods scream Google and Wikipedia. Coates disembowels and renders impotent the title character while pretending to be a fan. Coatesverse Panther may entice the novice comic book reader or newbie Black Panther fan but any BP enthusiast can see that Coates has no idea of what a Black Panther story should entail. This is what happens when a slave mentality pretending to be a captive's mentality tries to write an autonomous mentality.

Sixties styled protests and marches; the uninformative, redundant board meetings; red shirts parachuting into jungles full of huts and spears; shooting himself up with Doom's old nanites; restructuring T'Challa's reason for joining the Avengers; needing the less than impressive powers of The Crew to handle this pathetic uprising. The only good thing about Coates' iteration of the Black Panther is it can all be undone and retconned by a good writer. Don't worry, sales for this book will be dropping soon and then Marvel will have to contend with how to produce the real Black Panther because Coatesverse Panther certainly isn't.

If Coogler is being influenced by Hickman and or Coates then the Black Panther feature film is doomed

Coates isn't a bad writer. His Black Panther book is great, if you are interested in reading a book that is about as exciting as a manuscript from a C-Span political discussion. If you were interested in something that wasn't just pretentious talking heads and long-winded internal monologues, to blatantly mask the lack of substance, then you might be less than impressed.

And with what I've been gathering on sites that AREN'T his Twitter Ass-pat Central, the common complaint is that people are bored of his book. In addition to Marvel making a MASSIVE blunder in hiring "an it writer" who consistently fails to cease in his need to be overly wordy, and instead convey shorter messages that are just as powerful and appropriate for today's comic climate. The days of essays in comics are LONG over. Coates needs to get with the program and stop with his pathetic hubris. And lashing out at the people who tell him that his story is "less than perfect".

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #1268 on: September 16, 2016, 05:36:10 pm »
YOU ARE READING:
Black Panther #7

Pathetic. Utterly pathetic.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 16, 2016, 06:02:24 pm »
Iím afraid that this interview with Coates, has merely confirmed that he really doesnít have a clue as to what heís currently doing with the Black Panther mythos.

TíChalla has never in the entirety of his pre-Coates existence, been solely portrayed as this uber-unstoppable or infallible protagonist that many of the characters detractors have been fond of mischaracterising him as being.

This is a character who prior to Priest revitalizing him, had been in creative limbo for just under sixteen years and who prior to that, had spent more than a few years languishing at the back of the proverbial bus, shouting out warnings to the Avengers just before getting knocked unconcious by whichever threat said Avengers were facing at the time.

TíChalla was that noble negro, stalwart in friendship and long in flowery prose, that appeared occasionally in a few books as a guest whilst the rest of the MU marched merrily on.

All that changed with Priest bringing TíChalla back in style and when his run ended, Reginald Hudlin took up the gauntlet, and delivered a TíChalla and Wakanda that were extremely confident and fully capable of dealing with all threats on some straight up, in your face 10,000 year old advanced civilization (unsullied by Western imperialism) ish.

Reginald Hudlin treated TíChalla and his world as the A-list concepts that Lee and Kirby launched all the way back in 1966 and for that, he recieved crazy amounts of pushback from readers more invested in TíChalla and his people being portrayed as chumps.

To me, the fact that post Jonathan Hickmanís Secret Wars II, all of TíChallaís best ANAD MU appearances have occured outside of his own solo book whilst Coates has filled said solo with rape camps and rampant misogyny within Wakanda, tells me all I need to know about this writers agenda laden approach to TíChalla as a character and Wakanda as an intellectual concept.

I somehow doubt, that he would have been so quick to introduce rape camps and rampant stereotypical misogyny into an X-Men or Spiderman centred book but I suppose itís much easier to push Boko Haram inflected aesthetics through the most technologically and spiritually advanced nation on MU Earth as opposed to actually showing them being an advanced and resilient in the face of adversity.

Coates is a complete and utter idiot as far as writing the BP mythos goes.

Quoted for 100 % truth

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: September 16, 2016, 07:35:35 pm »
YOU ARE READING:
Black Panther #7

What is bad about it? Honest question because I think that this scene with issue 6 has shown more Priest Like Panther. Like it seems like it's being received negatively though it's something that resembles what we would see T'Challa actually doing

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #1271 on: September 16, 2016, 09:20:57 pm »
YOU ARE READING:
Black Panther #7

What is bad about it? Honest question because I think that this scene with issue 6 has shown more Priest Like Panther. Like it seems like it's being received negatively though it's something that resembles what we would see T'Challa actually doing

I don't like the dialog nor the artwork. At best this is Priest lite and that's really stretching it. T'Challa chained and kneeling before his captor then getting kicked in the face. That's not the move. Please observe the picture below and notice the subtle nuances that differentiate the two.

Less there be any doubt...

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1272 on: September 17, 2016, 06:50:59 am »
Here is Killmonger and T'challa's full fight from Panther's Rage for those that haven't read it

http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/2016/09/tchalla-vs-eric-killmonger-round-1.html

I'm gonna get all 5 fights up relatively soon. Just spacing them out, they are already done.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 17, 2016, 06:59:24 am »
YOU ARE READING:
Black Panther #7

It isn't uncommon setup in comics or action shows.  I could easily see Captain America (Steve) written in the same way.  The key to things is,  does BP need help breaking those chains.  Unless they are adamntium or Vibranium, BP should snap them in the next panel.  If he needs Luke to break a simple chain, then Coates doesn't get it.

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 17, 2016, 09:43:22 am »
YOU ARE READING:
Black Panther #7

That's a really less than impressive scene and I agree, has very little on the scenes Priest did.  The worse thing is that I can tell he's trying to invoke Priest, but badly, especially after how he's shown T"Challa in this book to be nothing like the usually calm and assured strategist two moves ahead of his opponent that Priest usually showed.

And the "Crew" coming in like that appears to be forced...(as does Stane's obvious and silly cultural dismissal...that didn't even make sense as a freak reaction to what T'Challa was saying) They shouldn't even be needed for a threat on this level...and it blatantly appears they are there to give some "black hero" cred to the run and an excuse for Coates to put them in...especially Storm.  And what's Misty Knight gonna do?

That being said, I'd actually love to see a Misty Knight urban noir type book...

And why is "love of wanton cruelty" included in Stane's list of things needed to be a king?  Does Coates really believe that this is the only way a king can exist?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:47:40 am by A.Curry »