Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Wakanda: The Last Annihilation  (Read 1047248 times)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Reparations and Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther
« Reply #1290 on: September 19, 2016, 09:02:43 am »
August sales numbers are slowly trickling in. Marvel only had 3 books in the top 30: Amazing Spider-Man #16 (4th), Star Wars (20th), and
Black Panther #5 (22).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/18/marvel-only-has-three-comics-in-the-top-30-comics-sold-in-august-2016/

Book continues to sell, it appears. Official numbers should be out soon.

Damn people love them some Peter Parker... is that book any good? I stopped reading spidey after Superior basically (loved superior myself).

Coates has free reign to do whatever the hell he wants. 5 issues in and his only competiiton is freaking spider-man. Wowza

I heard some good things about Dan Slott's work with Spidey. Can't say its a full picture of how well his work is though.

As for Coates, he def has the juice right now. Sales for #6 should be solid, and I would be surprised if sales for #7 actually go up compared to #6, due to the presence of the new version of the Crew.

Here we thought this BP book's competition would be Iron-Man and Cap. This book is blowing both of those books out of the water, Cap's book especially. And those two character had multiple movies, including billion dollar films for both characters.

yeah... i remember most of us saying DD numbers would be "great success" and that anyting over 35K would be good.

lol... just a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit off haha

LOL!

At this rate, DD numbers could be deemed a failure. 35k would be DEFCON 5.

I wonder if the long form, 12 issue story is helping keep this book steady.

There is no natural jump off point. Ther eis no "i'll finish the story and im out" sort of thing. We were told its gonna be a 12 issue story from the beginning, so everyone just strapped in when the ride started

It's a good strategy, adopting a tv show formula breaking down seasons. It allows writer's the chance to tell the story without it getting yanked from under them. It has potential to have More build up and drama. They could have two stories in a season but I feel this will likely pick up momentum being the new way tk tell stories. Which is good and bad

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: Reparations and Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther
« Reply #1291 on: September 19, 2016, 09:12:55 am »
August sales numbers are slowly trickling in. Marvel only had 3 books in the top 30: Amazing Spider-Man #16 (4th), Star Wars (20th), and
Black Panther #5 (22).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/18/marvel-only-has-three-comics-in-the-top-30-comics-sold-in-august-2016/

Book continues to sell, it appears. Official numbers should be out soon.

Damn people love them some Peter Parker... is that book any good? I stopped reading spidey after Superior basically (loved superior myself).

Coates has free reign to do whatever the hell he wants. 5 issues in and his only competiiton is freaking spider-man. Wowza

I heard some good things about Dan Slott's work with Spidey. Can't say its a full picture of how well his work is though.

As for Coates, he def has the juice right now. Sales for #6 should be solid, and I would be surprised if sales for #7 actually go up compared to #6, due to the presence of the new version of the Crew.

Here we thought this BP book's competition would be Iron-Man and Cap. This book is blowing both of those books out of the water, Cap's book especially. And those two character had multiple movies, including billion dollar films for both characters.

yeah... i remember most of us saying DD numbers would be "great success" and that anyting over 35K would be good.

lol... just a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit off haha

LOL!

At this rate, DD numbers could be deemed a failure. 35k would be DEFCON 5.

I wonder if the long form, 12 issue story is helping keep this book steady.

There is no natural jump off point. Ther eis no "i'll finish the story and im out" sort of thing. We were told its gonna be a 12 issue story from the beginning, so everyone just strapped in when the ride started

It's a good strategy, adopting a tv show formula breaking down seasons. It allows writer's the chance to tell the story without it getting yanked from under them. It has potential to have More build up and drama. They could have two stories in a season but I feel this will likely pick up momentum being the new way tk tell stories. Which is good and bad

I wonder how it affects trade sales.

Because the first trade for this book has no beginning, middle or end. Its just a beginning... not even close to a full arc or story

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1292 on: September 19, 2016, 09:30:40 am »
22 54.75 $3.99 MAR Black Panther (2016) 5 83,756

sales went up. a ton

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 19, 2016, 09:49:37 am »
22 54.75 $3.99 MAR Black Panther (2016) 5 83,756

sales went up. a ton

An 11k increase from #4....this is incredible...wow.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 19, 2016, 10:09:27 am »
This book is now competing with Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and even Amazing Spider-Man. Those issues do double ship, which affects sales, but BP shouldn't be anywhere close to them, by any stretch of the imagination.

BP #5: 83,756

Flash #5: 83,482

Superman #5: 81,339

Wonder Woman #5: 77,860

Amazing Spider-Man #17: 74,869

Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns #2 (the first shipped issue this month): 77,972

For those wondering, Superman #4 and Wonder Woman #4 sold 88k and 84k respectively. They didn't even beat BP #5 by much.

Never thought this would happen, let alone so soon.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 19, 2016, 10:19:45 am »
I feel like, if the forward momentum T'Challa is gaining from issue 5 and 6 continue and he is using strategy and getting smart, then I feel like this could turn out somewhat okay. Niw if Coates takes this energy and pushed T'Challa in a positive light with the same energy he has for this agenda (basically if his agenda is something positive for T'Challa) with how these sales are going this could be huge. He is competing with the big dogs. I would love to see another spin off book that focuses on different times in T'Challas life or is just titled differently.

BP:Damisa-Sarki and give us some more superhero adventures like hudlin's BP

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #1296 on: September 19, 2016, 10:23:14 am »
Not to mention the fact Marvel only has Black Panther, Spider-Man and Star Wars in the top thirty. Look at Harley Quinn's 359,957. DC is killin' the game. Most unfortunate that Coates is exposing so many to a less than stellar depiction of the Black Panther and Wakanda. Perhaps when the Black Panther movie drops and a new writer with the proper understanding and appreciation for the mythos enters the scene fans new and old will be treated to an iteration worthy of the name Black Panther.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #1297 on: September 19, 2016, 10:32:30 am »
I feel like, if the forward momentum T'Challa is gaining from issue 5 and 6 continue and he is using strategy and getting smart, then I feel like this could turn out somewhat okay. Niw if Coates takes this energy and pushed T'Challa in a positive light with the same energy he has for this agenda (basically if his agenda is something positive for T'Challa) with how these sales are going this could be huge. He is competing with the big dogs. I would love to see another spin off book that focuses on different times in T'Challas life or is just titled differently.

BP:Damisa-Sarki and give us some more superhero adventures like hudlin's BP

I enjoy your optimism Ezyo. It would be great if Coates shifted focus to the upliftment and preservation of the mythos that empower T'Challa and Wakanda; Coates channeling his inner Priest so to speak. Just don't hold your breathe.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 19, 2016, 10:42:01 am »
Not to mention the fact Marvel only has Black Panther, Spider-Man and Star Wars in the top thirty. Look at Harley Quinn's 359,957. DC is killin' the game. Most unfortunate that Coates is exposing so many to a less than stellar depiction of the Black Panther and Wakanda. Perhaps when the Black Panther movie drops and a new writer with the proper understanding and appreciation for the mythos enters the scene fans new and old will be treated to an iteration worthy of the name Black Panther.

DC is def killing it. Harley at top of the charts, among other stuff. Crazy to see.

At this point, the only way Coates doesn't write the BP book is if he accepts another comic writing gig offered or decides to stop writing comics altogether.

I doubt Marvel will offer him another gig either, they'll probably let him stay in the BP book for as long as he wants, so long as the book sells.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #1299 on: September 19, 2016, 10:55:03 am »

DC is def killing it. Harley at top of the charts, among other stuff. Crazy to see.

At this point, the only way Coates doesn't write the BP book is if he accepts another comic writing gig offered or decides to stop writing comics altogether.

I doubt Marvel will offer him another gig either, they'll probably let him stay in the BP book for as long as he wants, so long as the book sells.

Agreed. Then Black Panther's only hope rest with us. We have to dialog more with Coates and help him to understand and be more conscientious regarding the mythos and the type of imagery regarding Afrakan men and women he depicts. Enthusiasts and Coates don't have to have an adversarial relationship.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #1300 on: September 19, 2016, 10:55:57 am »
We are living in the day and age when Black Panther outsells X-Men. Who would've thunk it. Got to give Coates some credit. Although the X-Men kind of imploded on their own.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:01:57 am by Ture »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1301 on: September 19, 2016, 11:05:12 am »
Yeah, as much as I expressed my issues with this run... the amount it is selling is ridiculous.

Only beaten by  "special" Spider-Man issue. It beat the normal ASM that month...

Wowza

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 19, 2016, 11:22:35 am »

Agreed. Then Black Panther's only hope rest with us. We have to dialog more with Coates and help him to understand and be more conscientious regarding the mythos and the type of imagery regarding Afrakan men and women he depicts. Enthusiasts and Coates don't have to have an adversarial relationship.

Indeed. Now is the time to do so as well. The outline of season 2 just got approved, so he's about to start writing the script very soon, if he hasn't started yet.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:24:58 am by The Wakandan »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1303 on: September 19, 2016, 11:30:32 am »
judging by that last interview, he hears the criticism just fine, he just doesn't agree with it (or maybe doesn't care).

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #1304 on: September 19, 2016, 11:36:13 am »

Indeed. Now is the time to do so as well. The outline of season 2 just got approved, so he's about to start writing the script very soon, if he hasn't started yet.

It's Reparations or Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki!