Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Wakanda: The Last Annihilation  (Read 1048541 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: Reparations and Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther
« Reply #1305 on: September 19, 2016, 11:37:23 am »
judging by that last interview, he hears the criticism just fine, he just doesn't agree with it (or maybe doesn't care).

He will either join us or suffer for his lack of vision.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Reparations and Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther
« Reply #1306 on: September 19, 2016, 12:28:04 pm »
I don't think, as Fans, we are asking for a whole lot, We aren't telling him he needs to do exactly X, Y, Z. Obviously, what he is doing is working. BP solo went from just getting by to beat ALL OTHER MARVEL TITLES save ASM and even then its keeping pace, for what? 4 months BP was in the top 10 in terms of DC and Marvel comics for sales? Thats huge, And I don't think Coates is an idiot or anything, He has all the right ingredients to send BP and his run to Cosmic proportions and solidify his name as one of the great BP scribes.. He just has to remember, this is T'Challa's story, and he is the main character, and he just went through 8 years of deconstruction and images mean alot.

If Coates has this second act be the start of the Rise of the Black Panther then okay i can move past and keep going. So long as he is looking to reach new heights. Honestly, thought i dont like the premise, this Story could of still be good to long time fans by having T'Challa act in line with his continuity, and there would of been plenty of ways to spin the story and get across the MA side while allowing fans to see it from both angles.

Again long time fans just want to enjoy BP and I hope Hope HOPE that Season 2 starts to raise BP rather then tear him down. It wouldn't make sense to get dragging down then rise again at the end of Season 1 juast to tear all down all over again in Season 2

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 19, 2016, 01:41:55 pm »
I don't think, as Fans, we are asking for a whole lot, We aren't telling him he needs to do exactly X, Y, Z. Obviously, what he is doing is working. BP solo went from just getting by to beat ALL OTHER MARVEL TITLES save ASM and even then its keeping pace, for what? 4 months BP was in the top 10 in terms of DC and Marvel comics for sales? Thats huge, And I don't think Coates is an idiot or anything, He has all the right ingredients to send BP and his run to Cosmic proportions and solidify his name as one of the great BP scribes.. He just has to remember, this is T'Challa's story, and he is the main character, and he just went through 8 years of deconstruction and images mean alot.

If Coates has this second act be the start of the Rise of the Black Panther then okay i can move past and keep going. So long as he is looking to reach new heights. Honestly, thought i dont like the premise, this Story could of still be good to long time fans by having T'Challa act in line with his continuity, and there would of been plenty of ways to spin the story and get across the MA side while allowing fans to see it from both angles.

Again long time fans just want to enjoy BP and I hope Hope HOPE that Season 2 starts to raise BP rather then tear him down. It wouldn't make sense to get dragging down then rise again at the end of Season 1 juast to tear all down all over again in Season 2

One thing Coates should def avoid is to fall into the trap of repetition, especially with the sales the way they are at the moment.

It's one thing to start his run the way he did, especially being that he attracted a new audience. However, even that audience will much prefer for things to move forward and for Coates to bring new stories to the table. Or at the least, a different angle to certain stories.

Season 2 has to be fresh, not a repetition of season 1. Changing the topic from gender and revolution to religion should help, although I have absolutely no idea how he'll approach the religion issue in BP.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 19, 2016, 02:51:18 pm »

One thing Coates should def avoid is to fall into the trap of repetition, especially with the sales the way they are at the moment.

It's one thing to start his run the way he did, especially being that he attracted a new audience. However, even that audience will much prefer for things to move forward and for Coates to bring new stories to the table. Or at the least, a different angle to certain stories.

Season 2 has to be fresh, not a repetition of season 1. Changing the topic from gender and revolution to religion should help, although I have absolutely no idea how he'll approach the religion issue in BP.

This is were seasons make it easier to stay away from non repetitiveness, Because you can focus on a specific Topic and tell a full beginning midle and end. Essentially, Coates can tell 5 stories over 5 years, Rather then 15-30 stories due to having short 1-3 parters or so.

It will be very critical as well in how he ends issue 11 and moving into issue 12, because the ending has to be big, He has hyped it up as such and talking big. So hopefully he can deliver a satisfying ending.  But S 1 Finale has to have people excited for S 2 and so far it doesn't look like it wont be the case, the question is, for us appreciative fans of the works of CJP, RH and the like, will we be thrown a bone or is it going to be a:

I wish i could say its not a concern

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1309 on: September 19, 2016, 02:54:33 pm »
It is a concern. A valid concern.

Biggest, with this spotlight, with these sales...

Coates is redefining T'challa, Shuri, and Wakanda as a whole. If these sales maintain anything close to this... THIS will be the defining run for T'challa moving forward.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #1310 on: September 19, 2016, 03:01:13 pm »

The Wakandan

Changing the topic won't help if Coates sees T'Challa as more a scientist than religious leader and decides that T'Challa should have an atheist's viewpoint on religion. That the challenge I see with Coates. He is writing the Black Panther only as he sees the character and not as the Black Panther has been conceived and evolved as the righteous king, political statesman, super scientific genius, religious icon, advanced technologist, master strategist, world class martial artist, power house he is and is meant to be.

Coates is building his iteration of the Black Panther on the foundations of short sighted, narrow minded, culturally ignorant, sometimes racist, often stereotypical writers so to justify his personal outcries. The Black Panther has since his inception been ripe for addressing the issues that challenge Afrakan (so called black) people world wide and if a writer had some imagination and rectitude off world. McGregor dealt with the racism and apartheid, Gillis handled so called white supremacy, Priest tackled diversity, Hudlin addressed captivity and enslavement, civil rights, black power and black unity. Hickman mentioned famine.

Coates is well within his Wakandan rights to address black feminism, black women abuse, black lesbianism and monarchy. He violated those rights when he made Wakanda and it's people the bastion of the ill effects of these issues. He is in good company though. With the possible exceptions of Hudlin and a faulty Priest, most Black Panther writers seem uncomfortable and unwilling to write this Afrakan male and the nation he hails from as a shining example of Afrakan success. Coates... I ask why black man, why? I ask Priest the same question concerning Ross, Hunter and Kasper and I ask Hudlin concerning Doom (not to mention the Armless Tiger-man). Answers don't appear to be forthcoming anytime soon.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 03:05:42 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 19, 2016, 07:16:19 pm »
One has to wonder with sales like this, will other writers start writing BP like Coates does?

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 19, 2016, 08:26:00 pm »
Honestly I think it's more of the Story type then T'Challas attitude. Right now it reads like a tv  drama and i think that is the appeal

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 20, 2016, 01:49:11 am »
One has to wonder with sales like this, will other writers start writing BP like Coates does?

Unfortunately yeah. I mean its all about the money and it makes sense that Marvel will look at the high numbers and think this is the kind of T'Challa people want to see because they are "voting" with their dollars. Plus, Marvel has to be pleased how Coates has grown the audience and want to retain that audience as well. If only Priest or Hudlin's Panther had had a movie supporting them, maybe they would have had the big numbers and set the template.

I do wonder though about this audience. Outside of the diehard Panther fans and some diehards who might be buying even through clenched teeth, where is the rest of this readership coming from? I'm guessing its coming from fans of Coates's Atlantic work and his books. I could also see more members of the LGBT and black feminists-those not reading comics or superhero comics already per se, and casual fans who are intrigued by Panther due to Civil War and his upcoming movie. Maybe from Millennials who are discovering Panther for the first time, and also in this era that's heightened with more conversations about diversity and racial consciousness, I can see Black Panther being an appealing hero to explore. Perhaps even some fans of Coogler, who also received buzz last year for Creed.

I wonder too about how many of these new fans will stay over the long haul. Even if Coates sheds readers eventually, Marvel has to keep looking at the success he achieved and use it as goal post of sorts for T'Challa going forward.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1314 on: September 20, 2016, 04:37:12 am »

Unfortunately yeah. I mean its all about the money and it makes sense that Marvel will look at the high numbers and think this is the kind of T'Challa people want to see because they are "voting" with their dollars. Plus, Marvel has to be pleased how Coates has grown the audience and want to retain that audience as well. If only Priest or Hudlin's Panther had had a movie supporting them, maybe they would have had the big numbers and set the template.

I do wonder though about this audience. Outside of the diehard Panther fans and some diehards who might be buying even through clenched teeth, where is the rest of this readership coming from? I'm guessing its coming from fans of Coates's Atlantic work and his books. I could also see more members of the LGBT and black feminists-those not reading comics or superhero comics already per se, and casual fans who are intrigued by Panther due to Civil War and his upcoming movie. Maybe from Millennials who are discovering Panther for the first time, and also in this era that's heightened with more conversations about diversity and racial consciousness, I can see Black Panther being an appealing hero to explore. Perhaps even some fans of Coogler, who also received buzz last year for Creed.

I wonder too about how many of these new fans will stay over the long haul. Even if Coates sheds readers eventually, Marvel has to keep looking at the success he achieved and use it as goal post of sorts for T'Challa going forward.

I think CW kinda went, "hey guys, there is a bad ass african superhero who will kick your ass," and kind of "woke" the casual nerds up to his existence. From the very first trailer where he was chasing down bucky, no selling machine gun fire, and kicking bucky across the screen... people went "WHOA, WHO THE HELL IS THAT!!???"

And when they added Coates, who had his own following, added "clout" to the BP name and such... it took a certain percentage of those people who woke up to BP's existence and got them really interested. And hey, if McAurthur genius, non fiction writer thinks comic books are worth his time and not "kiddy sh*t"... then it probably let them jump into the world too 

I think is very telling that most of us when this book was introduced would have been ecstatic with 40K sales. Hell, 35 woulda been great. I think we were so far off because they other 35K is coming from sources outside of classic "comic book nerds."

And instead of promoting with CBR or newsarama... Coates is on twitter. Coates is using the Atlantic. Coates does podcasts. Coates has youtube videos with hip hop soundtracks. He is hitting a totally different audience than a lot of comic writers right now.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 20, 2016, 05:26:30 am »
Coates is writing T'Challa the way he wants to write him.

And he's getting praised for it by a plethora of new fans seemingly unaware of the BP mythos pre-Coates, older fans unbothered by the changes he's making and a coterie of acolytes who praise his every keystroke like it's holy sanskrit.

Eitherway, T'Challa is punked regardless.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1316 on: September 20, 2016, 10:20:57 am »

BLACK PANTHER #9
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • BRIAN STELFREEZE (A/C)
Connecting Variant Cover A by PAOLO RIVERA
XCI Variant Cover by TBA
THE BEGINNING OF THE END!

Regular artist BRIAN STELFREEZE returns!

Ramonda’s bombing injuries worsen and recovery is starting to seem like an impossibility…

Plus: Shuri returns from the Djalia…but is she still herself? Or something more?

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

BLACK PANTHER: WORLD OF WAKANDA #2
ROXANE GAY & TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • ALITHA E. MARTINEZ (A)
Cover by AFUA RICHARDSON
Variant Cover by TREVOR VON EEDEN
Variant Cover by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

TRAINING DAY!
Ayo and Aneka are given their first assignments as Dora Milaje: protect Queen Shuri at all costs!

Meanwhile, T’Challa the former king lies with bedfellows so dark, disgrace is inevitable.

See a major plot point from Hickman’s NEW AVENGERS run from a completely new point of view: one that changes everything…
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 20, 2016, 10:32:51 am »
Coates is writing T'Challa the way he wants to write him.

And he's getting praised for it by a plethora of new fans seemingly unaware of the BP mythos pre-Coates, older fans unbothered by the changes he's making and a coterie of acolytes who praise his every keystroke like it's holy sanskrit.

Eitherway, T'Challa is punked regardless.
Exactly the "new" fans can have this book. I'm enjoying books written by the indie folks anyway. By the way, I'll be on watch for Redjack's book once it comes out.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 20, 2016, 10:55:33 am »

BLACK PANTHER #9
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • BRIAN STELFREEZE (A/C)
Connecting Variant Cover A by PAOLO RIVERA
XCI Variant Cover by TBA
THE BEGINNING OF THE END!

Regular artist BRIAN STELFREEZE returns!

Ramonda’s bombing injuries worsen and recovery is starting to seem like an impossibility…

Plus: Shuri returns from the Djalia…but is she still herself? Or something more?

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

BLACK PANTHER: WORLD OF WAKANDA #2
ROXANE GAY & TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • ALITHA E. MARTINEZ (A)
Cover by AFUA RICHARDSON
Variant Cover by TREVOR VON EEDEN
Variant Cover by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

TRAINING DAY!
Ayo and Aneka are given their first assignments as Dora Milaje: protect Queen Shuri at all costs!

Meanwhile, T’Challa the former king lies with bedfellows so dark, disgrace is inevitable.

See a major plot point from Hickman’s NEW AVENGERS run from a completely new point of view: one that changes everything…
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Ramonda better not die. I thought they said that the Weave protected her from serious injury? Shuri looks to be having a new power set so that might be interesting.

As for BP:WOW I didn't expect a NA retelling. I assumed it would take place in the ANAD, I wonder how they are gonna tell the tale of what happened considering they are going to die then come back, and what all do they remember since they died before the final incursion.

As usual Stelfreeze art is on POINT

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #1319 on: September 20, 2016, 10:58:10 am »
He ain't gonna kill her. No way. Not after pointing out how she is the only one left for T'challa to talk to honestly and the fact that he kind of made fun of hte fact death is everyone in comcis instead of just injuring people like the old days.

I am not sure how I feel about a comic newb going BACK to a complicated story and trying to add their own little nuggets.