Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK #1 Finally, it's here!!!  (Read 1104432 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
One problem I think here is the size of Wakanda.  Wakanda is not a large country.  It isn't like the Golden City is Washington DC and those camps are in northern Wyoming.  Even with advance communication technologies, it would be far removed from Royal influence.  But Wakanda isn't that large and they do have advance communication technologies.  Wakanda Intelligence Networks would know about this threat to national security.  To say they did nothing...that is a deep seated evil.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
To be honest i think T'Challa has a plan or is coming up with something because either the Doras are being manipulated by Zenzi unbeknownst to them, or they are completely going rogue which i feel is problem if he is winging it.. I think this is T'Challa scheming as well and why he didn't say anything when Ramonda told him that she had to Execute Aneka, and T'challa knew that Ayo would break her out and steal the prototypes. And maybe after they start going out and rallying the citizens, Tetu and Zenzi might try to recruit them so that its the Dora's The people, Zenze tetu and the Wakandans against the Royal family. But unknown to them Aneka is communicating with T'Challa and setting him up to take them down.. Atleast i hope something like that will be the case and not T'Challa running around reacting to everything instead

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
T'Challa should not be Wakanda's King.  He was KOTD, Shuri was ruling Queen. While it has not been specifically explained, he is apparently King by default since Shuri is presumed dead.  This is but one problem with what Coates is attempting to do; extricate T'Challa and Wakanda from the mess of Time Runs Out, AvX and DoomWar.  I've stated previously that Hickman wrote T'Challa into a corner from which I did not think he could write him out.  Perhaps, even a genius writer cannot?  However, if one must try, then the redemption of T'Challa must come from him fixing the mess he himself has made of Wakanda.  Fixing other countries problems wouldn't do the same for T'Challa.  As disturbing as it is to see a Wakanda full of deviant opportunists is it a completely implausible after effect of the string of catastrophes visited upon Wakanda including T'Challa's betrayal (harboring Namor) and the country's defeat by Thanos and the Black Order in the face of Universal destruction?

For T'Challa to be restored he must restore Wakanda, not save Niganda.  This is the path T'Challa was set upon before Coates assumed the reigns.  So far, T'Challa reads better and looks better, but he still has a lot of room for growth and Wakanda needs saving.  It needs the Black Panther!  Coates needs to deliver.  My two cents.

Peace,

Mont

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I intensely dislike anything regarding Caotes doubting that TChalla would refuse to take sexual liberties with the completely and entirely willing army of Dora Milaje, because he doesn't know any man who would refuse such a thing.

TChalla would did and does refuse. Because he's TChalla. Seems like he doesn't know a vital facet of TChalla's character. But...he seems to nail the good things about TChalla when he [ Coates ] writes him. That's a jarring dichotomy.

This goes back to the 80s (give or take), where writers came to superheroes and said, "well since I wouldn't be that heroic, then obviously super-heroes can't be either.  They have to be either insane, or have some dark secrets in their lives."  And so we saw the deconstruction of super-heroes.  They never got the point that Superman, Batman, Captain America do things we would never do, because they are better than us.  (Or they are the best of us; however you wish to view it.)  So, I agree with you; to say that T'challa wouldn't refuse such a thing because he knows of no man who wouldn't refuse such a thing, means two things--A) he doesn't get super-heroes and B) he needs to meet some new people.

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
One problem I think here is the size of Wakanda.  Wakanda is not a large country.  It isn't like the Golden City is Washington DC and those camps are in northern Wyoming.  Even with advance communication technologies, it would be far removed from Royal influence.  But Wakanda isn't that large and they do have advance communication technologies.  Wakanda Intelligence Networks would know about this threat to national security.  To say they did nothing...that is a deep seated evil.

Agreed.  The only way I can see it being otherwise is there is some master plan or initiative going on that T'Challa is privy to but others aren't aware of...and it would have to be good.  Him not knowing about this or knowing and having done nothing...both looks bad.

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
T'Challa should not be Wakanda's King.  He was KOTD, Shuri was ruling Queen. While it has not been specifically explained, he is apparently King by default since Shuri is presumed dead.  This is but one problem with what Coates is attempting to do; extricate T'Challa and Wakanda from the mess of Time Runs Out, AvX and DoomWar.  I've stated previously that Hickman wrote T'Challa into a corner from which I did not think he could write him out.  Perhaps, even a genius writer cannot?  However, if one must try, then the redemption of T'Challa must come from him fixing the mess he himself has made of Wakanda.  Fixing other countries problems wouldn't do the same for T'Challa.  As disturbing as it is to see a Wakanda full of deviant opportunists is it a completely implausible after effect of the string of catastrophes visited upon Wakanda including T'Challa's betrayal (harboring Namor) and the country's defeat by Thanos and the Black Order in the face of Universal destruction?

For T'Challa to be restored he must restore Wakanda, not save Niganda.  This is the path T'Challa was set upon before Coates assumed the reigns.  So far, T'Challa reads better and looks better, but he still has a lot of room for growth and Wakanda needs saving.  It needs the Black Panther!  Coates needs to deliver.  My two cents.

Peace,

Mont

Respectfully disagree somewhat...it's been questioned whether or not T'Challa even needed redeeming after Hickman's story...even so redemption could have come out in a different way that doesn't imply this level of barbarism taking place in Wakanda.  I also think fixing other countries problems in the comic, the very real problems that countries in Africa face that are being shown in fictional Wakanda now, would do a lot for the Panther as a character and hero as well as be a great story with real world political situations being addressed.  IF Wakanda did exist would it not say something about its leader and the nation if it didn't, being a advanced and powerful nation, NOT do something about the atrocities happening outside its borders?  People question why America and other nations didn't do more regarding the genocide in Rwanda, Boko Haram. and other similar horrors all the time...a nation like Wakanda would exist and do nothing as well?

I actually think such a story crossing over into real world countries, politics, and issues would do a lot for his redemption along with raising his profile and creating a certain amount of relevance.

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
I intensely dislike anything regarding Caotes doubting that TChalla would refuse to take sexual liberties with the completely and entirely willing army of Dora Milaje, because he doesn't know any man who would refuse such a thing.

TChalla would did and does refuse. Because he's TChalla. Seems like he doesn't know a vital facet of TChalla's character. But...he seems to nail the good things about TChalla when he [ Coates ] writes him. That's a jarring dichotomy.

This goes back to the 80s (give or take), where writers came to superheroes and said, "well since I wouldn't be that heroic, then obviously super-heroes can't be either.  They have to be either insane, or have some dark secrets in their lives."  And so we saw the deconstruction of super-heroes.  They never got the point that Superman, Batman, Captain America do things we would never do, because they are better than us.  (Or they are the best of us; however you wish to view it.)  So, I agree with you; to say that T'challa wouldn't refuse such a thing because he knows of no man who wouldn't refuse such a thing, means two things--A) he doesn't get super-heroes and B) he needs to meet some new people.

I saw that quote and didn't like it...I think sometimes when it comes to matters of sex men and women tend to think all we are is primal...and this actually is surprising coming from a man like Coates.

In some ways we often make excuses in sayings like "a man's gonna be a man" and "it's our nature"...I've seen this highly insulting and simplistic argument used in rebuttal by some of us when women are discussing the whole "rape culture" and "slut-shaming" topics in regards to how women are treated or what's expected of them sexually or in terms of attention because they may be dressed a certain way.  The thing is many of us are more evolved than to just act this way on base sexual instinct and others who aren't should seek to be instead of making excuses or just saying its nature.  And I agree TChalla being and having been shown a HIGHLY evolved man would go against what Coates is suggesting in that quote.

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
Be as it may, this is not the kind of comic showing T'Challa needs after his spectacular revealing to the masses via the Captain America 3 movie. Nothing I would show to an new, wanting to see more Panther-fan. Definatly would throw them the Trades of Priests entire run and The Huldin and Liss collections, tell them to wiki the Doomwar arch, and wait until this one concludes.

This kind of story, while probably definatly needed to be told, but not while throwing Wakanda under the bus again. It's been non-stop abuse since Doomwar.

I kind of refuse to acknowledge that T'Challa didn't know about this. None of the decreased Panthers told him of this during the lead up before Time Runs Out? I'm sure that the spiritual ancestors of Wakanda who have continued to watch over the land would have told their King of the Dead everything he needed to know to 'save' Wakanda.

Brother Supreme and I had over an hour phone conversation today regarding our belief in this. And other Panther related talk. Very... Illuminating. These two issues are bad imagery, coming right behind an awesome first appearance in Marvel's biggest movie of the year.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Agreed.  The only way I can see it being otherwise is there is some master plan or initiative going on that T'Challa is privy to but others aren't aware of...and it would have to be good.  Him not knowing about this or knowing and having done nothing...both looks bad.

The problem with "a master plan" is that it leave victims.  From the grandmother's comments, this wasn't the first time.   I have trouble with BP having any plan that allows for this kind of "acceptable losses."  Yeah, in the real world "acceptable losses" are something kings have to allow for, but (at least in this) BP should be better.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
MTV NEWS -  MARVELíS BLACK PANTHER HAS TO BE TWICE AS GOOD IF ITíS GOING TO SUCCEED
THE RELEASE OF A NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC IS A PROMISING START FOR A BLACK SUPERHERO. BUT WHAT WILL IT REALLY TAKE FOR HIM TO BECOME 'SOME KID'S SPIDER-MAN'?
by IRA MADISON III
5/12/2016

That significance has returned, in large part thanks to a new Black Panther comic book series by Ta-Nehisi Coates, of which two issues have been released so far. Aside from exemplifying the very mantra that TíChalla does (thereís such a dearth of black mainstream comic creators that you need to be a renowned writer to land a Marvel title), Coates hopes that TíChalla can become ďsome kidís Spider-Man.Ē I donít know that I see that happening, nor should it. You hire Coates because you want an intellectual take on Panther. He himself stated to NPR that heís not particularly interested in the superhero fights ó ďI feel like if thereís one weakness in this series, itís that the fighting is there because it has to be there.Ē Which is how it should be. We donít envision a king having to get down and dirty like Luke Cage does. Heís a king. We refer to him as ďyour highness.Ē Representation matters, of course, and a black kid will see Black Panther and think, ďheís like me.Ē But at what point do we move past representation and let black heroes have as much fun as Spider-Man or Deadpool, trading barbs with their adversaries in each fight?

Black Panther is a significant achievement in the Marvel universe. When his solo film bows in February 2018, the king will sit on the throne of a million-dollar box office take, sure, but heíll also be the living, breathing proof that black superheroes have their movies. Still, with Marvelís slate of films showing no other black films on the horizon, let alone the presence of a black woman in the Marvel universe, it also means that itís merely a dream.

In his NPR interview, Coates compares superheroes to Greek mythology, but itís the DC heroes that are gods. They represent archetypes. Marvelís best heroes have always been messy humans who show us what we could do when power is thrust upon us. Marvelís heroes are the tragedies the Greeks wrote about. If the characters are human and not gods, weíll have black heroes who can actually be like Spider-Man (Miles Morales, for instance). Or egotistical playboys like Iron Man. Or reluctant monsters like The Hulk. And you wonít need the credentials of a MacArthur Genius to deliver a new black title at Marvel. The lack of female-led superhero films within the past 20 years is certainly not for lack of presence. Thereís a plethora of white heroines in the Marvel universe and yet Ö Captain Marvel is scheduled for 2019. I have all the excitement in the world for Black Panther, but itís Spider-Man who invigorated me the most in Civil War. I grew up feeling like I was Spider-Man. That connection made the Spider-Man logo my first tattoo. TíChalla is a brilliant character, but too often Iíve seen the weariness that comes with being king. Maybe Black Panther can become a kidís Spider-Man, but with age, heíll see that this godlike character is something most heroes donít have to aspire to. If these are all the factors that it takes to get Black Panther on the screen ó what hope do those who arenít royalty have?

full article
http://www.mtv.com/news/2880098/marvels-black-panther-has-to-be-twice-as-good-if-its-going-to-succeed/
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
MARVEL'S "BLACK PANTHER" CAST WILL BE 90% AFRICAN OR AFRICAN-AMERICAN

With reports this week that Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyong'o are set join Chadwick Boseman in "Black Panther," the 2018 Marvel film is clearly assembling an impressive cast. However, they may only be the tip of the iceberg.

"That will be among the best ensembles we've ever had," Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige recently told The Empire Film Podcast, "and 90 percent of the cast is either African or African-American."

Considering that Black Panther, Marvel Comics' first black superhero, is the king of the technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda, Feige's statement might seem obvious: Of course a majority of the actors will be African or African-American. However, it comes as Marvel addresses whitewashing accusations in its casting of Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One in "Doctor Strange," DreamWorks faces similar criticisms for its remake of "Ghost in the Shell," and Hollywood studios are under increased scrutiny for a lack of diversity in front of and behind the camera.

When it was pointed out in the interview that having a superhero film with an African character in the lead is "a huge step for Marvel," Feige replied, "It's a step that Marvel took many years ago in the comics as well,

and it felt like it's more than due time to do that in the movie."

"Black Panther" is directed by Ryan Coogler ("Creed"), whom Feige called a "pretty astounding filmmaker," from a script he co-wrote with Joe Robert Cole. The film opens Feb. 16, 2018.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvels-black-panther-90-of-the-cast-is-either-african-or-african-american

Check out 6:05

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Peace,

Mont

Respectfully disagree somewhat...it's been questioned whether or not T'Challa even needed redeeming after Hickman's story...even so redemption could have come out in a different way that doesn't imply this level of barbarism taking place in Wakanda.  I also think fixing other countries problems in the comic, the very real problems that countries in Africa face that are being shown in fictional Wakanda now, would do a lot for the Panther as a character and hero as well as be a great story with real world political situations being addressed.  IF Wakanda did exist would it not say something about its leader and the nation if it didn't, being a advanced and powerful nation, NOT do something about the atrocities happening outside its borders?  People question why America and other nations didn't do more regarding the genocide in Rwanda, Boko Haram. and other similar horrors all the time...a nation like Wakanda would exist and do nothing as well?

I actually think such a story crossing over into real world countries, politics, and issues would do a lot for his redemption along with raising his profile and creating a certain amount of relevance.

This and much of the above, including the gist of the MTV News article is why T'Challa must fix Wakanda first.  For whatever reason, the decision was made to follow through from the "Everything Dies/Time Runs Out" continuity.  Fixing Niganda or surrounding African nations is secondary to restoring Wakanda as the technological and enlightened pinnacle of the world.  After being infiltrated, robbed, drowned and subsequently overrun, defeated for the first time in its long history Wakanda fell into a state of serious disrepair.  Many of Wakanda's most loyal citizens, her best and brightest died fighting to save their country.  Wakanda must be restored.  New Wakanda heroes need to emerge.  Most of all, T'Challa must be restored as The Black Panther in the hearts and minds of Wakandans.

Peace,

Mont

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Peace,

Mont

Agreed.  So much catastrophe means there has to be major change.  Makes the most sense in this thread.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Peace,

Mont

It was explained how he became King again because Shuri crowned him King before she died. It took me a while after Sw ended to realize it because i was so up in arms at how Hickman just wrote T'Challa as king without any mention of Shuri at all. But then going back it kinda made more sense.

I think the reason for takn about saving Niganda instead of Wakanda (essentially changing the location in Coates Story but keeping  the premise relatively the same) was going off the assumption that Coates would instead follow up on what seemed to be a light at the end of the tunnel Hickman had going on Wakanda with Wakandas youth being alive And the space program being launched.

But I would rather have this story to be honest because I want some closure tonthe crap that has happened and (hopefully) T'Challa takes measures to prevent such a catastrophic event from happening again. And come out a stronger leader and a stronger Wakanda then ever

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Peace,

Mont

It was explained how he became King again because Shuri crowned him King before she died. It took me a while after Sw ended to realize it because i was so up in arms at how Hickman just wrote T'Challa as king without any mention of Shuri at all. But then going back it kinda made more sense.

I think the reason for takn about saving Niganda instead of Wakanda (essentially changing the location in Coates Story but keeping  the premise relatively the same) was going off the assumption that Coates would instead follow up on what seemed to be a light at the end of the tunnel Hickman had going on Wakanda with Wakandas youth being alive And the space program being launched.

But I would rather have this story to be honest because I want some closure tonthe crap that has happened and (hopefully) T'Challa takes measures to prevent such a catastrophic event from happening again. And come out a stronger leader and a stronger Wakanda then ever

Bro, if T'Challa reset things to before the first Incursion even occured, there's ZERO reason why Shuri should not be alive and Queen of Wakanda irrespective of whether she passed rulership back to him before Time Ran Out.

We never saw Shuri die on panel so irrespective of whatever nonsense Coates is currently writing the whole premise for his take on BP is complete and utter trash.