Author Topic: Reparations and Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther  (Read 218902 times)

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Reparations and Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther
« Reply #2760 on: September 06, 2017, 12:43:36 pm »
^
Kimoyo,

I look at what McDuffie wrote with a grain of salt. I mean he's likely comparing McGregor's work to what else was out there at the time, which was probably much worse in depicting black heroes. To be fair, I haven't read much of McGregor's work. I picked up one of the Essentials but haven't gotten far. I do like the artwork though.

I think I got a digital copy of the McGregor's Masterworks but haven't read it.

Very true,  90% Don M of BP work is straight sh*t at best and bloody diarrhea at worse, but compared to what others black characters were going through at the time his work is the sweetest of ice cream. And to add to that you had people in the Marvel office sayings that he was writing BP/Wakanda too black too powerful and felt he was too close to the black struggle & also plotted to get him fired from BP and eventually succeeded in doing so.. TNC BP reads like sh*t compared the what's currently going, in past eras and we'll so in the future..

I agree with you both EJ and 4sake, the timing is my point.  McGregor could be really hard to read and he did not provide universally satisfying conclusions, but in many ways he was charting new territory.  Coates probably feels he is as well, but he has no excuse that I can tell, for providing such a lack of any relevant development in his lead character.  By his own admission had almost free reign and the timing was perfect for T'Challa to rebound and be uniquely heroic in his dual roles as a superhero and the leader of Wakanda.  Instead Coates has further damaged him, giving us a morally weak, indecisive, often inept, truly Z-list rendition of the once and future King of Wakanda.

My two cents.

Peace,

Mont

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: Reparations and Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther
« Reply #2761 on: September 07, 2017, 06:06:15 am »
Debating between McGregor and Coates is like trying decide if you'd rather have a Diarrhea taco or a Vomit burrito

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: September 07, 2017, 06:20:20 am »
Debating between McGregor and Coates is like trying decide if you'd rather have a Diarrhea taco or a Vomit burrito

Disgusting...but true lol. Atleast the vomit burrito, they tried to cover it with some seasoning

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: September 07, 2017, 07:42:45 am »
Remember in the late 90s when Spider-Man had like 5 different solos by 5 different writers telling 5 different stories?

Amazing SM
Spectacular SM
Peter Parker SM
Sensational SM
SM Unlimited

I wish BP had something like that.

Adjective 1 BP
Adjective 2 BP
Adjective-less BP

It would be incredible.

But they messed that up  :-\

BP/Deadpool teamup book >>> WoW
How many leaders you said you needed then left Ďem for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, itís King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2764 on: September 07, 2017, 08:28:47 am »
Remember in the late 90s when Spider-Man had like 5 different solos by 5 different writers telling 5 different stories?

Amazing SM
Spectacular SM
Peter Parker SM
Sensational SM
SM Unlimited

Adjective 1 BP
Adjective 2 BP
Adjective-less BP

It would be incredible.

He need an Avenger Spider-Man/Savage Wolverine type book.

Where its self contained stories with T'challa & another hero

T'challa and Miles
T'challa and Cage
T'challa and Cap
T'challa and Rocket Racoon
T'challa and Black Bolt murder duo

ect

expose him to new people, have him do super hero sh*t, no deep race/political/gender sh*t

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: September 07, 2017, 07:22:41 pm »

Amazing SM
Spectacular SM
Peter Parker SM
Sensational SM
SM Unlimited

Adjective 1 BP
Adjective 2 BP
Adjective-less BP

It would be incredible.

That sounds just like my

BP Amandla idea. He does a bunch of team ups with other heroes on a literal high octane action and adventure (pretty much take how Tchalla faced big-time threat's in TRO and use that as the starting point for how big the threats get)
with team ups with the Characters MoS listed, plus others

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: September 07, 2017, 11:16:57 pm »

Amazing SM
Spectacular SM
Peter Parker SM
Sensational SM
SM Unlimited

Adjective 1 BP
Adjective 2 BP
Adjective-less BP

It would be incredible.

If the film is a success, why not!?!  Great idea MM!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: September 08, 2017, 11:10:36 am »

Amazing SM
Spectacular SM
Peter Parker SM
Sensational SM
SM Unlimited

Adjective 1 BP
Adjective 2 BP
Adjective-less BP

It would be incredible.

Peace,

Mont

Thank you!  I think the big thing would be having a different writer for each book who isn't tied to or affiliated with the others (i.e. not part of Coates brigade).  I think we would've been MUCH happier (potentially) if the 2nd and 3rd BP books we got this year were treated like completely new solo launches by completely new/different creative teams that had their own vision of what arcs they wanted to take Black Panther in.

Like if Al Ewing had a book and he decided to explore that Tiger God arc or BP's strenuous relationships with Carol and BM; i.e. BP's perspective when it comes to the Ultimates and other MU characters/deities.  But a serious tone, with FEATS as the focus.

Then another book could be written by the Deadpool writer or just somebody who is good with comedy and lighter adult tone, and has BP interacting with the greater MU like DP, Herc, Miles, Cage, Blade, etc.  Other marvel females, adult humor, sexual tension/flirty jokes.  Something that's "serious" but not really.

That way we could just be ignoring Coates book and focusing on the other fun ones.  Plus it would be a better way to gauge BP's popularity and his ability to actually carry 3 books.  As it was, they set him up for failure by having the 2nd and 3rd books be complete trash that didn't even focus on him.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 11:12:43 am by Mortal Man »
How many leaders you said you needed then left Ďem for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, itís King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: September 08, 2017, 11:12:30 am »
Problem:

If the movie is a success, they are almost certainly going to flood the market with BP minis.  And I simply don't trust Marvel Editorial.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2769 on: September 08, 2017, 12:48:36 pm »

Amazing SM
Spectacular SM
Peter Parker SM
Sensational SM
SM Unlimited

Adjective 1 BP
Adjective 2 BP
Adjective-less BP

It would be incredible.

Peace,

Mont

Thank you!  I think the big thing would be having a different writer for each book who isn't tied to or affiliated with the others (i.e. not part of Coates brigade).  I think we would've been MUCH happier (potentially) if the 2nd and 3rd BP books we got this year were treated like completely new solo launches by completely new/different creative teams that had their own vision of what arcs they wanted to take Black Panther in.

Like if Al Ewing had a book and he decided to explore that Tiger God arc or BP's strenuous relationships with Carol and BM; i.e. BP's perspective when it comes to the Ultimates and other MU characters/deities.  But a serious tone, with FEATS as the focus.

Then another book could be written by the Deadpool writer or just somebody who is good with comedy and lighter adult tone, and has BP interacting with the greater MU like DP, Herc, Miles, Cage, Blade, etc.  Other marvel females, adult humor, sexual tension/flirty jokes.  Something that's "serious" but not really.

That way we could just be ignoring Coates book and focusing on the other fun ones.  Plus it would be a better way to gauge BP's popularity and his ability to actually carry 3 books.  As it was, they set him up for failure by having the 2nd and 3rd books be complete trash that didn't even focus on him.

I'd just settle for a good solo and BP on a real team book that is good lol

I think we will definitely get some stealth mini's when the movie comes out. Likely some set in the past as well if the BP movie hints at anything at all.

Sigh...can I just get one book that shows off T'challa' martial arts abilites? Something like the current Iron Fist book... is that too much to ask ?

Can I just get one page like this, like ever?

and in other news, looks like Namor is acting up again... damn Irma shifted back west so it looks like im gonna get some category 1 action. yay

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: September 08, 2017, 05:35:35 pm »

Amazing SM
Spectacular SM
Peter Parker SM
Sensational SM
SM Unlimited

Adjective 1 BP
Adjective 2 BP
Adjective-less BP

It would be incredible.

Peace,

Mont

I would be down for this too. Grab Hudlin and let him finish his stories, see of Redjack would be down to wrote some Bp action.

Get JA to do a BP Story

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2771 on: September 09, 2017, 09:05:17 am »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: September 09, 2017, 02:41:10 pm »

He should of had his energy Dagger's out to go with Ryu charging his hadoken.

Otherwise still a cool variant

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: September 09, 2017, 05:50:40 pm »
Be safe MoS, praying for all affected by Irma!

Peace,

Mont

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2774 on: September 13, 2017, 12:17:11 pm »
Marvel Two-In-One #1
Chip Zdarsky / Jim Cheung
Cover by Jim Cheung
"The Fate Of The Four Part 1"
THE FOUR ARE NO MORE, SO TWO MUST DO! Something is very wrong with THE HUMAN TORCH and only THE THING can help him! Itís the Marvel Universe reunion youíve all been waiting for (well, HALF of it, at least!).  Plus: What monumental secret has DOOM been hiding since the end of SECRET WARS, and how will it completely change the lives of Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm?

sigh... T'challa could easily be involved in this but no :(