Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 824797 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Courtesy of Holt at the CBR forums:

Atleast this looks good, hopefully this is an actually Panel from the Ultimates.. Could REALLY use that right now.

^^^ LOL!!! We'll be lucky if this makes the cover.

BLACK PANTHER #6
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) CHRISTOPHER SPROUSE (A)
Cover by BRIAN STELFREEZE
Connecting variant B by ESAD RIBIC
VARIANT COVER BY UDON
DEFENDERS VARIANT COVER BY TBA
RISE OF THE DORA MILAJE!
T'Challa's failures as king are revealed to the UNITED NATIONS!
Ayo and Aneka, the Midnight Angels, are courted by Tetu and The People to raise Wakanda to glory, but at what price?
The storyline that has critics raving and retailers selling out continues
32 PGS./Rated T ...$3.99

Well at least the covers look good.

Overall some very intriguing art work.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Coates rape and debasement of the BP mythos continues unabated. :smh:

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

The solicits are all too damning. At this rate Coates is going to need an Infinity Gauntlet to undo all the damage that he has done to the Black Panther; but once it's already in print there is no true erasure. A true shame to have new and faithful readers view T'Challa from such a vantage point. The next couple of issue seem brutal.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

The solicits are all too damning. At this rate Coates is going to need an Infinity Gauntlet to undo all the damage that he has done to the Black Panther; but once it's already in print there is no true erasure. A true shame to have new and faithful readers view T'Challa from such a vantage point. The next couple of issue seem brutal.

Hmmm... Considering comics are written for the TPB, and usually 6 issues to a trade, it looks like you need at least two TPBs for T'Challa to turn things around.  Not the best thing for new readers.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Coates chose to ignore Hickman's T'Challa to undo all of the damage going back to just after Namor's assault on Wakanda so I very much doubt that the writer in question, would use the Infinity Gauntlet to do anything other than destroy the BP mythos in its entirety thus rendering it not fit for purpose.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Sneak Peek at Black Panther #3

The most anticipated Marvel series since Whedon & Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men!

The Midnight Angels continue the liberation of Wakanda with extreme prejudice, and T'Challa's indecisions could cost him more than just the throne.

Coates and Stelfreeze weave a quintessential Black Panther tale that will change the tapestry of the Marvel Universe forever.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Ive tapped out on issue # 2
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA

The Midnight Angels continue the liberation of Wakanda with extreme prejudice, and T'Challa's indecisions could cost him more than just the throne.

Coates and Stelfreeze weave a quintessential Black Panther tale that will change the tapestry of the Marvel Universe forever.

I absolutely cannot fathom or sanction Rape Camps in Wakanda. I do realize, as a writer, that I'm projecting my understanding of BP [ CJP+RH+DMCDUFFY+part of Hickman ] onto Coates, and I do realize that Coates wants to write HIS OWN BP, but...

...Rape Camps? TChalla Ramonda the Wakandan Defense Forces etc even remotely countenancing...even via inexcusable nigh infinite ineptitude and incompetence [ which NONE of the Royal Family, The Wakandan Council, or any of their advisors are by the furthest leaps of imagination ]... RAPE CAMPS?

And TChalla blown THIS FAR off his game by the death of Shuri and his own inner demons? I just...don't see that.

But with that being said? Coates' dialogue is on point. His Ramonda isn't just some fretting old sistah playin the backgroun. His pacing and his use of the Afrikan language are on point. We finally see TChalla himself specifically craft ka-teknolojia...Soul Technology...which he enhances his mask with so that he make "Stalk the Soul" of Shuri. We have never. Ever. Seen TChalla himself specifically craft SoulTech.

I just can't see how a guy who can forge SoulTech after a chat with his wise Queen Mother could remotely allow Rape Camps for ANY reason.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I absolutely cannot fathom or sanction Rape Camps in Wakanda. I do realize, as a writer, that I'm projecting my understanding of BP [ CJP+RH+DMCDUFFY+part of Hickman ] onto Coates, and I do realize that Coates wants to write HIS OWN BP, but...

...Rape Camps? TChalla Ramonda the Wakandan Defense Forces etc even remotely countenancing...even via inexcusable nigh infinite ineptitude and incompetence [ which NONE of the Royal Family, The Wakandan Council, or any of their advisors are by the furthest leaps of imagination ]... RAPE CAMPS?

And TChalla blown THIS FAR off his game by the death of Shuri and his own inner demons? I just...don't see that.

But with that being said? Coates' dialogue is on point. His Ramonda isn't just some fretting old sistah playin the backgroun. His pacing and his use of the Afrikan language are on point. We finally see TChalla himself specifically craft ka-teknolojia...Soul Technology...which he enhances his mask with so that he make "Stalk the Soul" of Shuri. We have never. Ever. Seen TChalla himself specifically craft SoulTech.

I just can't see how a guy who can forge SoulTech after a chat with his wise Queen Mother could remotely allow Rape Camps for ANY reason.

I have to say, I can see him be this far off his game.. Remember how off he was when his 10 year future self died? This was his sister, on top of being abandoned by the previous Bp's and feeling the weight of his failures (which also would mean he would feel guilty about his uncles death) So i can see this as having him way off his game and being hella distracted. BUT i would see him crushing these rape camps though and NOT letting them slide at all. I wanna say though this is the second time the Jambazi tribe has been mentioned and now it seems like a leader was mentioned to (or someone of authority) So it makes me wonder is it multiple Tribes with these rape camps or is it just this one tribe that can be isolated into a enemy for T'Challa to crush.

As for the soulstalking tech i really wonder whats gonna come of it as it seems very interesting

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
And not just T'Challa, but anyone in his government/civil defense forces.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
This further, long-suffering, slowly unfolding, year long (as it would seem from these solicits) TPB suitable, narrative style choice for T'Challa and Wakanda is so out of touch with what we have been clamoring for I can only surmise that no one at Marvel is listening or gives a damn about what we as consumers would like to see.  Perhaps if Coates' Black Panther were on Netflix where we could binge watch the entire season at once we could all be celebrating his genius?  But this is comics not TV.  The continual 'trust us you'll love what we give you' approach to 'customer appeasement' is offensive and exceedingly frustrating!  My two cents.

Peace,

Mont

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA

I have to say, I can see him be this far off his game.. Remember how off he was when his 10 year future self died? This was his sister, on top of being abandoned by the previous Bp's and feeling the weight of his failures (which also would mean he would feel guilty about his uncles death) So i can see this as having him way off his game and being hella distracted. BUT i would see him crushing these rape camps though and NOT letting them slide at all. I wanna say though this is the second time the Jambazi tribe has been mentioned and now it seems like a leader was mentioned to (or someone of authority) So it makes me wonder is it multiple Tribes with these rape camps or is it just this one tribe that can be isolated into a enemy for T'Challa to crush.

As for the soulstalking tech i really wonder whats gonna come of it as it seems very interesting

I remember TChalla being driven to the brink of insanity [ or more accurately, APPEARING TO BE driven to that point, in order to draw out Hunter, groom Kasper, draw out Killmonger, and defeat his adversaries together ] as part of a mandate given by Marvel Editorial to try to shore up sales of CJP's series. This was not the path that CJP would have had BP, whose superpower, as CJP stated and as he had CJP IRON MAN state, are primarily:

1. Being the shrewdest guy in Marvel

2. The quintessential epitome of The Man With The Plan.

3. Getting others to underestimate him

4. Unflappable, unshakable calm

5. Machiavellian manipulation, misdirection, pinnacle genius.

6. He's a King first, and Black Panther which means he is wearing a ceremonial habit of religious and royal rank. He's NOT a superhero...and the Marvel U has been looking at him backwards and upside down for decades.

Which means that it's really hard to justify TChalla being THIS FAR OFF HIS GAME. I know and can accept him being stressed, even making missteps, but...RAPE CAMPS IS NOT A MISSTEP. THAT'S A JARRING MISCHARACTERIZATION OF WAKANDA. THE PEOPLE AND THE COUNTRY.

And the above^^^is said by a guy who LIKES Coates, and EXPECTS Coates to make this yarn of his somehow sensible and stuff.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:48:39 pm by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The irony in all of this, is that I seem to remember calling out Hickman's take on T'Challa for being wildly inconsistent and totally out of character, only to have my views derided by some as being hateful.

Hickman's take on T'Challa was praised by some as being something "awesome that had never been done before" as regarded raising the characters profile to headier heights but now, in the wake of Coates's rather dismissive and very deliberate running down of T'Challa and Wakanda, can any of my previous detractors honestly say that I was wrong in predicting that the blanket acceptance of Hickman's milquetoast T'Challa would eventually result in the broken character and mythos we currently see unfolding before our very eyes?

I've always tended to look at the bigger picture as opposed to being bamboozled by empty spectactle so none of the BS that Coates has pulled thus far, has come as a suprise to me.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The irony in all of this, is that I seem to remember calling out Hickman's take on T'Challa for being wildly inconsistent and totally out of character, only to have my views derided by some as being hateful.

Hickman's take on T'Challa was praised by some as being something "awesome that had never been done before" as regarded raising the characters profile to headier heights but now, in the wake of Coates's rather dismissive and very deliberate running down of T'Challa and Wakanda, can any of my previous detractors honestly say that I was wrong in predicting that the blanket acceptance of Hickman's milquetoast T'Challa would eventually result in the broken character and mythos we currently see unfolding before our very eyes?

I've always tended to look at the bigger picture as opposed to being bamboozled by empty spectactle so none of the BS that Coates has pulled thus far, has come as a suprise to me.
I was one of those few that was right along with you even more so on the T'Challa "crying to daddy" tip. Too many blerds are just accepting anything. "Highest sales ever" Yea Yea and it is only 3 issues in. I'll wait until issue 12 to see if this so called "numbers" stay the same.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I remember TChalla being driven to the brink of insanity [ or more accurately, APPEARING TO BE driven to that point, in order to draw out Hunter, groom Kasper, draw out Killmonger, and defeat his adversaries together ] as part of a mandate given by Marvel Editorial to try to shore up sales of CJP's series. This was not the path that CJP would have had BP, whose superpower, as CJP stated and as he had CJP IRON MAN state, are primarily:

1. Being the shrewdest guy in Marvel

2. The quintessential epitome of The Man With The Plan.

3. Getting others to underestimate him

4. Unflappable, unshakable calm

5. Machiavellian manipulation, misdirection, pinnacle genius.

6. He's a King first, and Black Panther which means he is wearing a ceremonial habit of religious and royal rank. He's NOT a superhero...and the Marvel U has been looking at him backwards and upside down for decades.

Which means that it's really hard to justify TChalla being THIS FAR OFF HIS GAME. I know and can accept him being stressed, even making missteps, but...RAPE CAMPS IS NOT A MISSTEP. THAT'S A JARRING MISCHARACTERIZATION OF WAKANDA. THE PEOPLE AND THE COUNTRY.

And the above^^^is said by a guy who LIKES Coates, and EXPECTS Coates to make this yarn of his somehow sensible and stuff.

Tremendous post Brother SI!  Great analysis of the evolution and elevation of T'Challa as presided over by CJP.  His approach was intuitive, innovative and invigorating to the character.  CJP introduced his Black Panther with a splash, highlighting his strengths and abilities while creatively honoring the best of what had previously defined him.  Coates has not done this, choosing instead to delve right into his story as if already catering to a captive audience predisposed to give him all the time he needs to allow the story to unfold. 

Sal is absolutely right in referring to Hickman's take as contributing to T'Challa's current state given the clear deference to TRO established continuity and to a lesser degree Coates' endorsement of Hickman's Black Panther.  Yet, even Hickman started out with a bit of a splash when you consider T'Challa's elevation to KOTD, though IMO his subsequent character deconstruction calls into question whether there was ever any altruistic intent to elevate T'Challa?

I too hope Coates' story will wind up being restorative and something we can all cheer for its eventual brilliance, but I can't escape the feeling of being strung along and taken for granted.  A feeling that started with DoomWar, was heightened with Hickman and unfortunately continues with Coates.

Peace, 

Mont