Author Topic: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther  (Read 571408 times)

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
So, the guy who literally spit the greatest and best argument for Afrakan Reparations writes a compelling Captain America and a suckganimous Black Panther? My brilliant HEF brethren, feel free to explain that reality to me.

I only read a couple Cap issues, so my exposure is limited. I remember Coates saying the EiC was revising his scripts so that's probably part of it. I noticed the writer basically said Coates first BP arec was that good. Lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
So, the guy who literally spit the greatest and best argument for Afrakan Reparations writes a compelling Captain America and a suckganimous Black Panther? My brilliant HEF brethren, feel free to explain that reality to me.

There is some discussion out there (which I agree with) that Coates's eloquent testimony at the Congressional Hearing was basically toothless since he didn't push hard for monetary reparations (he eventually did say he thought maybe some people should get cash), and he also didn't do a good job of tying slavery to contemporary discrimination, which I think weakens the argument overall. Further, he seemed to set 1968 as the end of racism/discrimination, which further weakens the argument. So, Coates's writing Black Panther still is how he really sees us. That being said, he's always been good at describing black pain, but he doesn't know how to go beyond that. The constant deconstruction of his Black Panther fits his general pessimistic worldview.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA

There is some discussion out there (which I agree with) that Coates's eloquent testimony at the Congressional Hearing was basically toothless since he didn't push hard for monetary reparations (he eventually did say he thought maybe some people should get cash), and he also didn't do a good job of tying slavery to contemporary discrimination, which I think weakens the argument overall. Further, he seemed to set 1968 as the end of racism/discrimination, which further weakens the argument. So, Coates's writing Black Panther still is how he really sees us. That being said, he's always been good at describing black pain, but he doesn't know how to go beyond that. The constant deconstruction of his Black Panther fits his general pessimistic worldview.

This? Is a cogent response, sir. I was looking for the direct connection to money, benefits, system change in specific ways that helps us and the explanation linking to the fact that helping us rectify these mindblowingly worst of all time transgressions against us ALSO RAISES ALL SHIPS like we experienced in Reconstruction; but I didn't peep it. I began to wonder if I should pen such an argument, just to put it out there and keep the argument growing and going in this kind of specific direction that points out that we are giving a cascading lift to everyone when we help us.

Why is that? Because rectifying our ills knocks down almost all the resistance to rectifying the virulent but lesser ills of class, gender, lifestyle, religious, etc bigotries and injustices. Our position remains the unique and only position of those outrageously aggrieved by Racist Feudalism. All others? Suffer the injustices of Feudalist era Euro bigotries, WITHOUT the Fatality level final blow of racism and racial hatreds, which are the worst of all. There is no alleviating racial hatred, but almost all other forms of Feudal era bigotries can be mitigated if not wholly alleviated easier, faster and more completely than the combination of racism plus Feudal era class, caste, gender, religious, national, language, etc prejudices.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
So, Coates's writing Black Panther still is how he really sees us. That being said, he's always been good at describing black pain, but he doesn't know how to go beyond that. The constant deconstruction of his Black Panther fits his general pessimistic worldview.

Hit the nail on the head.

Poor guy is so... pessimistic? sad? depressed? conditioned? that his real world views seeped into the only real comic book black franchise and poisoned it completely.

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

BLACK PANTHER #17
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • DANIEL ACUñA (A) • COVER BY Daniel Acuña
THE INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE OF WAKANDA - TWO THOUSAND SEASONS part 5
THE RETURN OF KILLMONGER!
The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda has come to Earth! And that’s not all. Someone has dug up the body of Eric Killmonger — and it’s about to fall into the hands of an angry god. It’s the end of an arc — and the end of an era for the Black Panther!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

BLACK PANTHER AND THE AGENTS OF WAKANDA #2
JIM ZUB (W) • LAN MEDINA (A) • Cover by JORGE MOLINA
Mary Jane Variant Cover by DAVID LOPEZ
Variant Cover by Chris Sprouse
GAME VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
T’Challa and his agents have uncovered the source of dark energy emanating from a small town in Oklahoma. Is it a super villain…or a savior?
Reality-spanning espionage, defense and black ops, all backed by Vibranium-laced technology and the will to use it. The Agents of Wakanda are our first line of defense in a world under siege from all sides.
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

I like that BP cover.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

BLACK PANTHER #17
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • DANIEL ACUñA (A) • COVER BY Daniel Acuña
THE INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE OF WAKANDA - TWO THOUSAND SEASONS part 5
THE RETURN OF KILLMONGER!
The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda has come to Earth! And that’s not all. Someone has dug up the body of Eric Killmonger — and it’s about to fall into the hands of an angry god. It’s the end of an arc — and the end of an era for the Black Panther!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

BLACK PANTHER AND THE AGENTS OF WAKANDA #2
Mary Jane Variant Cover by DAVID LOPEZ
Variant Cover by Chris Sprouse
GAME VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
T’Challa and his agents have uncovered the source of dark energy emanating from a small town in Oklahoma. Is it a super villain…or a savior?
Reality-spanning espionage, defense and black ops, all backed by Vibranium-laced technology and the will to use it. The Agents of Wakanda are our first line of defense in a world under siege from all sides.
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

I like that BP cover.

The art on those covers are madness! I love it! And in AGENTS OF WAKANDA...I most DEFINITELY did NOT see the return of The Fat Cobra to a major book. I completely forgot about The Fat Cobra, even though I loved him in Immortal Iron Fist.

I'm so over TurnCoates that I simply skip anything associated with him and BP without even bothering to be offended, disappointed, etc.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
AOW has to be one of the oddest team combos since...Guardians of the Galaxy and we know how successful that is.  What else has Jim Zub written; not familiar with the name.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
AOW has to be one of the oddest team combos since...Guardians of the Galaxy and we know how successful that is.  What else has Jim Zub written; not familiar with the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Zub

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
October’s Black Panther #17 is the End of an Era… But What Does That Mean?
Posted by Jude Terror July 24, 2019

October’s Black Panther is being billed as “the end of an era for the Black Panther” in Marvel’s October solicitations. But what does it mean? Is the series ending? Is it getting a new creative team? Or just a new status quo for the character? And if it is a new status quo, does that mean a new number one as well? Marvel tends to play these things close to the vest in terms of solicits, because, after all, why reveal in a solicitation what you can reveal in an EX-X-XCLUSIVE somewhere like Entertainment Weekly? Either way, we’ll keep an eye on Black Panther in the coming months for some news of exactly what this “end of an era” means. Oh, and Killmonger is coming back as well. 

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07/24/octobers-black-panther-17-is-the-end-of-an-era-but-what-does-that-mean/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
SDCC: Marvel's Next Big Thing, With Jonathan Hickman, C.B. Cebulski
by Jon Arvedon

Regarding Marvel Comics #1000, Cebulski said, "It's a monster, 80-page comic. 80 creative teams, one story. We haven't really revealed which creators are working together." (Jonathan Hickman and Dustin Weaver on Apocalypse, Kieron Gillen and Doug Braithwaite on Loki, Saladin Ahmed and Steve Rude on The Thing, Christopher Priest and Brian Stelfreeze on Black Panther and Al Ewing and Cafu on a mystery character.)
https://www.cbr.com/sdcc-marvel-comics-next-big-thing-jonahtan-hickman-x-men-cebulski/

And of course there's this...

(W) Ta-Nehisi Coates (A/CA) Daniel Acuna
THE INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE OF WAKANDA -"TWO THOUSAND SEASONS" PART 2: T'Challa makes contact with Earth! But the war for the Empire continues, and with the panther goddess Bast on their side, the Maroons are looking to turn the tide. When Emperor N'Jadaka comes for his revenge, he'll find himself in hot water. But will T'Challa's plan be enough to free those the Empire has enslaved - and open his pathway home?
Rated T+
In Shops: Jul 31, 2019
SRP: $3.99

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Way to come through with that Priest info. I barley read whole articles anymore. lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Way to come through with that Priest info. I barley read whole articles anymore. lol

It was this specific mention of Priest that made me go back and read the post by our most excellent brother Ture more thoroughly. I diss so hard TurnCoates BP that I even skipped the cover art automatically and without even noting it...

...but after reading Cville above? I saw that cover art. Man? That ish IS DOPE. Seriously. And? I still ship T'Choro. Til the casket drops. R to the H got it right.

And if you peep the article in the link, you'll see that R to the H and Eric Jerome Dickey's version of history has been/will be absorbed into popular culture, the movies and eventually...inexorably...the comics, too. For the record? I still very much like EJD's story, I think that his inclusion of T'Challa and Storm having sex, being in love, and T'Challa being Ororo's first is very believable, very "realistic". I absolutely for a fact don't think that a 16 year old having sex with a 13 or 14 year old is rape [ c'mon, now...rape? Nope. Less than ideal? Absolutely. But RAPE? Nooooo. ]

Anyway.

Thank you my brethren for the links, the hawking on TurnCoates, and further comics development. AMANI...
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

BLACK PANTHER #18
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • CHRIS SPROUSE (A/C)
THE INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE OF WAKANDA - TWO THOUSAND SEASONS part 6
LEARN AT LAST HOW THE KING BECAME A SLAVE!
For months, you’ve been waiting to find out how T’Challa went from the king of Wakanda to the slave of an empire. Finally witness his fall from grace – and the rise of an enemy now poised to spread his empire to Earth.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

BLACK PANTHER AND THE AGENTS OF WAKANDA #3
VARIANT COVER BY HUMBERTO RAMOS
2099 VARIANT COVER BY TBA
Black Panther and his hand-picked team are our first line of defense on Earth, in space, or even in other realities. They’re operatives of the unimaginable - They’re Agents of Wakanda.
In this issue - a new mission begins! A disturbing galactic experiment has been waiting, growing...Can the Agents of Wakanda stop its encroaching danger before it’s too late?
Strap on your spacesuits, True Believers! This one’s shootin’ for the moon!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

IRONHEART #12
EVE L. EWING (W) • LUCIANO VECCHIO (A/C)
Ironheart’s Wakanda adventure comes to a shocking conclusion. With allies Shuri, Silhouette and Okoye by her side, Riri Williams faces her biggest challenger yet: her own past. And things will never be the same.
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
A good tie up issue for Coates' intergalactic tale. Arguably his best single issue read thus far. Acuna's art worked particularly well at conveying the visuals. 

T'Challa was still a little too milquetoast for my taste not to mention a little too depressed acting.

Coates did the intelligent thing and cleaned up that nonsense alluding to Wakanda being better without T'Challa.

Storm's intro was almost Priest level. I enjoyed their interaction and I felt the intimacy and sensuality between them. I appreciated them in bed together. I appreciated their conversation. This felt like a true continuance of their relationship and that was greatly needed.

Just in case the X-offices decide to mess things up again...

It would have worked better for the BP franchise if the symbiote was not used. An original character would have been more on point or dig through those long boxes and revisit the parasite from Hudlin's run.

This is an excellent cover for next issue. I like it.